Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pick posted:

in real life, that's why I post here, to have somewhere to vent my shittiness that doesn't affect my career prospects

who ARE you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Oh I sure as hell do, but I don't want other people to sense that.

That's why IRL, if someone asks me what my hobbies are, I say "gardening" (which is also true but it's like 10th on the list) because there's something in people's heads that tells them that gardeners aren't assholes. bitch we're all assholes.

same. except i tell people i garden weed, then we smoke some of the weed and they are my friends

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

in real life, that's why I post here, to have somewhere to vent my shittiness that doesn't affect my career prospects

that's another thing.

nerds seem to ignore the fact that the internet is a great vent for caustic attitudes, they never learn how even properly utilize vents like that, so it seeps both into their internet posting and their real life interactions with people.

if they were actually smart, they'd get all their torrential pretentious condescending feelings out on the internet, leaving only positive social interaction to be had in real life.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SpaceClown posted:

that's another thing.

nerds seem to ignore the fact that the internet is a great vent for caustic attitudes, they never learn how even properly utilize vents like that, so it seeps both into their internet posting and their real life interactions with people.

if they were actually smart, they'd get all their torrential pretentious condescending feelings out on the internet, leaving only positive social interaction to be had in real life.

hell it worked for me

ps kill yourself

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

hell it worked for me

ps kill yourself

hahaha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wizard of goats, you are so much fun, if you ever come to portland, i'll bite you :)

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
jolly good bad posts all around! :monocle:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

oh pick is psyopmonkey it makes sense now

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hell it worked for me

ps kill yourself

I hope your next anal prolapse is the fatal one!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

im pretty and dumb, or as my mom likes 2 say, 'pretty dumb'

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SpaceClown posted:

that's another thing.

Personally, I don't think the 'venting' theory really works out. All being a jerk on the internet does is get you in the habit of being a jerk IRL. You can even see it here on SA sometimes, where the unbearable pedantic jerk posters often have awful personal lives complete with hilarious E/N stories of how people seem to "randomly" hate them and even attack them in the real world, too.

There's been some crappy psych studies which sort of support this, which isn't exactly great evidence, but it seems to match with my observations of people IRL.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
ya i think pick wins worst gbs poster. sry spaceclown ur "i'm an emotional trainwreck" strat ain't quite a match for pick's "i'm an emotional genius". next time though!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceClown posted:

People really underestimate how far a nice face and an ability to hold up a conversation will take you. I think it's a fundamental (hilarious) misunderstanding amongst the idiot nerds of the 21st century that society is a meritocracy of technical skill. It's not called the "social ladder" for nothing.

I'm all for the nerd backlash, but "ha ha, you're stuck in a well-paid white collar job programming factory robots!" is the weakest burn possible

it's not like jobs that emphasize social skills are a meritocracy either. I don't care how charismatic a starbucks barista is, she's not getting Howard Schultz's job any time soon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Personally, I don't think the 'venting' theory really works out. All being a jerk on the internet does is get you in the habit of being a jerk IRL. You can even see it here on SA sometimes, where the unbearable pedantic jerk posters often have awful personal lives complete with hilarious E/N stories of how people seem to "randomly" hate them and even attack them in the real world, too.

There's been some crappy psych studies which sort of support this, which isn't exactly great evidence, but it seems to match with my observations of people IRL.
:eyepop:
they were right to want to ban mortal kombat

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Pretty much everyone in this thread "identifies" with these kind of protagonists, but the reality is you were really only good at one or two computer-applicable things at a time when everyone promised that computer skills meant you'd become a company-owning technocrat. It was just our generation's version of ghetto kids dreaming of becoming basketball stars, except there's actually more people in professional basketballs than there are Silicon Valley billionaires. Your skills were never that special or important, and there are loads of people smarter than you.

Ive always known I'd be a worthless piece of poo poo failure.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

it works for me. Despite being extremely hostile and mean on these forums and others, I'm sweet as sugar cane to people's faces. I only have so much mean energy in my body!

fbsw posted:

ya i think pick wins worst gbs poster. sry spaceclown ur "i'm an emotional trainwreck" strat ain't quite a match for pick's "i'm an emotional genius". next time though!

now im really going to kill myself

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Klyith posted:

I'm all for the nerd backlash, but "ha ha, you're stuck in a well-paid white collar job programming factory robots!" is the weakest burn possible

it's not like jobs that emphasize social skills are a meritocracy either. I don't care how charismatic a starbucks barista is, she's not getting Howard Schultz's job any time soon.

Engineering jobs have limited advancement, lack power or autonomy in the workplace, and relatively short careers. Not eventually going into management is a mistake.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SpaceClown posted:

it works for me. Despite being extremely hostile and mean on these forums and others, I'm sweet as sugar cane to people's faces. I only have so much mean energy in my body!

So would you say you have a happy and successful social life?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I do.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

maybe it's because I was raised in an upper middle class household, but $50k a year isn't well paid to me.

Also you seem to mistake a career and a job. Jobs have no mobility, careers do. Making your deadlines no matter how realistic, having a good relationship with your superiors, being well liked by your coworkers are all actually more important to a certain degree than straight quality of work.

Obviously there are limits, but I didn't go from helpdesk jockey to a sysadmin in a year because I was an IT wizard. I'm competant, a little more so maybe than average, but nothing truly special.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

wizard of goats, you are so much fun, if you ever come to portland, i'll bite you :)

thanks but I don't think I'd know how to interact with people I know from the internet face-to-face

the first and last time I met a goon in person he referred to me by my internet handle out loud in a crowded room and banished me forever to Tir na Nog

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 15, 2017

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

maybe it's because I was raised in an upper middle class household, but $150k a year isn't well paid to me.

fixed that one for u buddy!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

a truly charismatic person would not try to become successful by working their way up from barista

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wait, if it's so good then why do you complain about it all the time here?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

FaradayCage posted:

The modern "op" is a a retard with social deficits.

Sorry, I shoulda made that clearer.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wait, if it's so good then why do you complain about it all the time here?

because I don't want to complain to them to their faces, and I don't gossip to other people irl

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yeah, without a doubt! I'm really good at hiding the fact that I'm a suicidally depressed, extremely unstable, ex-druggie fuckup. I think it helps that I think I'm on the psychopathy scale and have a knack for manipulating people, and can also completely detach myself from myself and play a character.

On the downside, I deeply resent every single person around me and I want them all to die horrible deaths and also it's probably not doing me good to constantly repress urges to kill myself but whatever. I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach and I'm right back at the lower-upper echelons of society. And that's just been my entire life, so I really doubt I'm at risk of actually committing suicide or murdering someone, so I can just kinda put it in sixth gear and cruise the ocean highway of life until I die because I dunno, until I unfuck my prospects I think this is as good as life is going to get.

inb4 get therapy

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

maybe it's because I was raised in an upper middle class household, but $50k a year isn't well paid to me.

Also you seem to mistake a career and a job. Jobs have no mobility, careers do. Making your deadlines no matter how realistic, having a good relationship with your superiors, being well liked by your coworkers are all actually more important to a certain degree than straight quality of work.

Obviously there are limits, but I didn't go from helpdesk jockey to a sysadmin in a year because I was an IT wizard. I'm competant, a little more so maybe than average, but nothing truly special.

This is unquestionably the cringiest thing I've read in the month of April

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

Yeah, without a doubt! I'm really good at hiding the fact that I'm a suicidally depressed, extremely unstable, ex-druggie fuckup. I think it helps that I think I'm on the psychopathy scale and have a knack for manipulating people, and can also completely detach myself from myself and play a character.

On the downside, I deeply resent every single person around me and I want them all to die horrible deaths and also it's probably not doing me good to constantly repress urges to kill myself but whatever. I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach and I'm right back at the lower-upper echelons of society. And that's just been my entire life, so I really doubt I'm at risk of actually committing suicide or murdering someone, so I can just kinda put it in sixth gear and cruise the ocean highway of life until I die because I dunno, until I unfuck my prospects I think this is as good as life is going to get.

inb4 get therapy

Now this is

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
:yikes:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
it's cringier to me that someone would settle for a job playing mechanic for factory robots

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SpaceClown posted:

inb4 get therapy

yeah this is what people here mean when they talk about standard-issue IT guys imagining they're unique and different

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

inb4 get therapy

fbsw fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 15, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

yeah this is what people here mean when they talk about standard-issue IT guys imagining they're unique and different

i only went into it because it was the best, easiest option i had at the time

also because computer art isn't a viable career option

and besides computers, my only skills are I can kinda draw and kinda produce music and kinda write and none of those are even close to viable to pursue as career paths in this day and age

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

SpaceClown posted:

i only went into it because it was the best, easiest option i had at the time

also because computer art isn't a viable career option

and besides computers, my only skills are I can kinda draw and kinda produce music and kinda write and none of those are even close to viable to pursue as career paths in this day and age

spaceclown coming back with the final round knockout. get wrecked pick

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'no but see i have hobbies and just fell backwards into the easy money, unlike all my colleagues who were born to configure firewalls'

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme

SpaceClown posted:

inb4 get therapy

Lol gently caress your fiancee is a lucky guy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

'no but see i have hobbies and just fell backwards into the easy money, unlike all my colleagues who were born to configure firewalls'

I really was a prodigy artist but instead I found I can work less and make way more in sales because I smile and have boobs lol. Oh and in between there was being an exceptional biologist, but who cares? You cap at like $40K if you even find a job.

Sales is baller

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was pursuing something else in university before I hosed it up, but I don't remember what it was. Some field of neuroscience I know for sure. I don't really remember anything about it, I only spent 2 years at college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpaceClown posted:

Tech jobs only pay $50k a year?

quote:

But this I agree with. In the smaller scale it's a big deal.

I think one of the best ways that a good personality helps is dealing with mistakes and problems. Everybody fucks up, and every job has times where nobody is really at fault but people are in the poo poo regardless. Being likable and having good people skills is really key then. When people like you they don't blame you, when disliked the opposite happens.

In all those movies and TV shows, the socially repulsive genius is always proven correct, and everyone else has to admit they were right all along and suck their dick over it. In the real world that rarely happens.

The very first job I ever had, I was in that situation where I was wrong and the other guy was right, but he was such an rear end in a top hat about it that I didn't have any repercussions. Other than my boss having a talk with me about how to handle that situation in the future.

• Locked thread