Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007
I like to go to LANs because the people are nice. mostly I just lose every time and eat some barbecue or pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

stump collector posted:

I like to go to LANs because the people are nice. mostly I just lose every time and eat some barbecue or pizza

see that sounds like fun and I wish I had buddies irl who were into lugging their PCs around for that sort of thing.

But I wouldn't want to be one of the slobs on the bleachers watching you. That seems like a falling down in logic.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

He's worth millions and has a mega hot girlfriend lol

nah his gf is medium tier asian chick at best

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
rEtardSports

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I wonder what the relationship between an e-thlete and a speedrunner is like?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Neukoln19 posted:

I wonder what the relationship between an e-thlete and a speedrunner is like?

Maybe you should be asking - Do you think love can bloom, even on the battlefield?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

see that sounds like fun and I wish I had buddies irl who were into lugging their PCs around for that sort of thing.

But I wouldn't want to be one of the slobs on the bleachers watching you. That seems like a falling down in logic.

the lan scene blew up around the KC and midwest area in general in the 2 years. there's a $2k 8 team lan every month or other month, but a lot of us are already sick of being at venues for 18-20 hours to wait out tech difficulties and for groups to fully play out. but I wouldn't go watch my friends play and I wouldn't expect anyone to watch me, I loving suck

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Competitive gaming...... SUCKS!!!!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EmbryoSteve posted:

The shabby sad looking white dude who calls his opponent a bitch and then later tells him to wash the taste of his dick out of his mouth must be the most pathetic dude I've seen in a while.

He looks like he hasn't slept in like 4 days has his polo tucked into his khakis, and overall just looks like he's gonna go home to an empty apartment covered in crusty socks.

It's so clear that this moment /environment is the only moment/place in his life where he gets to feel masculine, tough, and able.

Just smdh what a sad man also lol pathetic

What's funny is the black dude is a huge rear end in a top hat that talks poo poo about players that consistently beat him. The white guy has beat him before and he continued to talk poo poo lol

The black guy also calls other black players niggers and coons constantly, and refuses to pee in toilets and uses a piss jug in his bedroom that he empty out every once in a while lmao he also get really mad whenever people don't donate to his stream

The fighting game community is pretty fuckin weird and hilarious and sad

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I dunno, I find esports more entertaining to watch than traditional sports for the most part. Especially when you have the same super teams dominating every year in the NFL, NBA, etc. There have been some really incredible esports events over the last few years with a lot of excitement and drama. It's a good time to watch with people on twitch or watch with goons. There are even a few bars in my city that show esports events.

And more people watch the big esports events than the NBA Finals, World Series or NHL finals. I assume esports will pass up the super bowl soon as well.

Though getting involved in the "esports community", the players' lives or the out of game drama will just lead you down a rabbit hole of absolutely terrible and disgusting people. So just watch the games for what they are and enjoy.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i think in the future people will be watching streams of people watching streams of videogames. there will be a chat window in the stream where people comment on the chat window in the stream. at least six dogs.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pawn 17 posted:

I dunno, I find esports more entertaining to watch than traditional sports for the most part. Especially when you have the same super teams dominating every year in the NFL, NBA, etc. There have been some really incredible esports events over the last few years with a lot of excitement and drama. It's a good time to watch with people on twitch or watch with goons. There are even a few bars in my city that show esports events.

And more people watch the big esports events than the NBA Finals, World Series or NHL finals. I assume esports will pass up the super bowl soon as well.

Though getting involved in the "esports community", the players' lives or the out of game drama will just lead you down a rabbit hole of absolutely terrible and disgusting people. So just watch the games for what they are and enjoy.

In the last ten years: NFL had 8 different winners, MLB/NBA 7, NHL 6. So you are speaking out of ignorance and I did not read the rest of your garbage.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Teikanmi posted:

nah his gf is medium tier asian chick at best

I guess anyone would look like a model standing next to that guy

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Pitdragon posted:

i think in the future people will be watching streams of people watching streams of videogames. there will be a chat window in the stream where people comment on the chat window in the stream. at least six dogs.

the onion covered that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ

e: not exactly the same but close enough

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 11, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

You are dumb as hell and looking for an excuse to cover for the fact you know anything at all about the last paragraph of what you wrote, let done the rest of the dumb poo poo you hammered out lol

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I think the thing with streams is that it isn't trying to be normal television, it trying to be public access. You're watching an actual dude live do a thing (however trivial), which was once common on TV and radio but not anymore.

Fighting game tournaments began before streaming existed as just IRL meetups for a prize pool of $0, and it's still pretty DIY and run by people who actually leave the house and talk to each other*. That won't last forever though.

*Smash players have never been normal

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

lmao

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I think the thing with streams is that it isn't trying to be normal television, it trying to be public access. You're watching an actual dude live do a thing (however trivial), which was once common on TV and radio but not anymore.

Fighting game tournaments began before streaming existed as just IRL meetups for a prize pool of $0, and it's still pretty DIY and run by people who actually leave the house and talk to each other*. That won't last forever though.

*Smash players have never been normal

Fighting game tournament streams are the only esports I watch, but on mute cause any videogame commentary usually garbage. Also fight games are pretty low on requirements and I can watch a stream and play at the same time

Except smash, that's not a real fighting game lmao

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

to state my age - i'm one of those elder millennials - one of those fucks who are within the age range where are convinced they'r'e not actually millennial but in between gen x and millennial which doesn't actually exist. though i have accepted the facts long ago.

i'm a computer nerd and always have been. i don't get MOBAs. for those who don't know what that fuckin acronym represents, it's multiplayer online battle arena - most common are DOTA 2 / Heroes of the Storm (HotS) or League of Legends (LoL)

the closest "esports" i can sorta get are RTS like Starcraft or "maybe" FPS" games like a quake style one but not necessarily ones like counter strike. I can also make exceptions for games like street fighter or mortal combat style games

i guess i sorta got into it during its inception but i just can't relate to what seems to be most popular these days. i guess i'm one of those motherfuckin' old esports fogies or something. whatev.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

i guess i sorta got into it during its inception but i just can't relate to what seems to be most popular these days. i guess i'm one of those motherfuckin' old esports fogies or something. whatev.
MOBAs are mostly awful. They're like baseball: the game. Sure, batting or catching the ball is fun, but 95% of the time you're pretty much doing nothing. The remaining 5% can be pretty fun, but is it really worth your time?

The trick is, to bad players they are doing something most of the time. Trivial skills like last hitting or other rote poo poo are things they're "practicing" instead of just automatic. The worse someone is the more likely they are to constantly take poor fights as well. To make it worse, there's a barrier of bullshit you have to learn to play that has nothing to do with your skill at the game. It's just a ton of poo poo because there are 32842384 heroes and items and builds. When you're immersed in the game it's no big deal, but if you take a break oh boy. It really illuminates just how dumb the genre is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 12, 2017

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I played a ton of dota allstars back when it was a warcraft mod map and i cant imagine how or why anyone would sit down and try to learn how to play in this day and age

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Hey, i get killed 10 times in a row but i have to stay in this lovely game for another 30 minutes and listen to my teammates call me a fag

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

to state my age - i'm one of those elder millennials - one of those fucks who are within the age range where are convinced they'r'e not actually millennial but in between gen x and millennial which doesn't actually exist. though i have accepted the facts long ago.

i'm a computer nerd and always have been. i don't get MOBAs. for those who don't know what that fuckin acronym represents, it's multiplayer online battle arena - most common are DOTA 2 / Heroes of the Storm (HotS) or League of Legends (LoL)

the closest "esports" i can sorta get are RTS like Starcraft or "maybe" FPS" games like a quake style one but not necessarily ones like counter strike. I can also make exceptions for games like street fighter or mortal combat style games

I actually think MOBAs can be fun in their purest sense- five people vs. five people who actually have to use some semblance of strategy and teamwork to win as well as have decent enough knowledge and skill withing their chosen character to be an effective member of said team. It also requires a little bit of both macro and micro awareness. What ruins it are the queues (means that if you don't team up with five friends you get paired with any combination of sperglords who are likely not in your Mumble/Dischord/ w/e voice chat server with you and throw a loving autism fueled fit about how you didn't do it EXACTLY right) and lovely balancing and patching.

I mean I get that other online multiplayer games can involve strategy and teamwork too, but I think this just combines a lot of elements in a fairly entertaining way when the game at least kinda feels balanced and you're a team of five friends vs. another team of... well it doesn't really matter because you don't have to listen to them. Not everyone likes them or gets them though and that's fine too, it's just too bad that a game genre I actually had a lot of legit fun with has to be dragged down by a horrible community and devs retroactively making their games suck. It can make people really loving competitive though, which does not mix well with goony goons who are taking a game for fun way too seriously.

MOBAs, I almost wonder, would probably have a better reputation if it was only limited to friends and people at LAN parties just trying to have a good time- then the guy raging his neckbeard off at you would just be the friend that everybody sidesteps inviting next time.

Anyway that's my piece about MOBAs I hope you all enjoyed it. :tipshat:

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Yeah, inhouse dota is great, but gently caress it once video games start catering to the "professional" community and nerds who try to emulate that competitivenesss and watch twitch streams all day or whatever

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
It's like everyone in your pickup game saying theyre jordan bit no one can dunk

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Video lames

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Esports is killing video games. Multiplayer games aren't allowed to be fun anymore, everything has to be super competitive and only accessible/enjoyable by people who are playing it like multiple hours per day. Back when games were simpler like Lords of the Realm 2 or Trophy Bass 2 you could play in tournaments and actually stand a chance without a huge amount of "skill" and people generally were friendly and wouldn't call you a "human being" every 5 seconds. Why can't games be like that anymore?

mulitplayer games just arent the same if you cant punch your opponent in the arm

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
MMR matchmaking kinda sucks because it makes every match feel same-y.

If I join a random server in Quake, there are going to be some guys who are so much better than me it's like I'm trying to aim with an Atari stick shoved up my rear end in a top hat. And some guys will be worse by the same amount. It makes things interesting.

MMR feels like a measure of how much effort you're willing to put into Playing Video Games, so if you want a bigger number you have to treat the game like a job. You'll still win/lose about 50% of the time anyway, though, so the only thing you're progressing at is taking games too seriously.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
LoL was pretty fun, and I personally like how ranked games have a little more structure and organization. But a game that is designed with variety and customizing your setup as needed as a legitimate strategy becomes hypocritical when people flip out if you deviate from established norms.

Plus when the overall aesthetic of the game launcher started to get that "Made for Tournies" look instead of its own unique look and feel, that sealed it. Shouldn't have sold out to the Chinese :bahgawd:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"it's own look and feel" aka "a piece of poo poo made in adobe air" lol

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

yep

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
For the longest time, I can't remember when it started, strategy game multiplayer maps used to have their own unique design. Like the maps in say, Red Alert 2. Then in C&C3, I saw how virtually every single multiplayer map has that tournament style design to it: a big fat mound of resources dumped next to starting locations, with the map design being a perfect mirror of the other half with no detail in terrain; it's all functionality, no personality to it at all. I swear every map is the exact same.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"it's own look and feel" aka "a piece of poo poo made in adobe air" lol

During that Chinese takeover, all the portraits of the characters started to get noticeably anime-ish.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

LoL was pretty fun, and I personally like how ranked games have a little more structure and organization. But a game that is designed with variety and customizing your setup as needed as a legitimate strategy becomes hypocritical when people flip out if you deviate from established norms.

Plus when the overall aesthetic of the game launcher started to get that "Made for Tournies" look instead of its own unique look and feel, that sealed it. Shouldn't have sold out to the Chinese :bahgawd:

Early LoL was the one I spent a lot of time on myself. Spend weeks learning to tank like a boss and then they fundamentally change the character. And yeah, I'll admit that I threw away some money on a skin for it too, so that wasted money just became that much more wasted-er. It was that kind of poo poo that made me quit including that they would add a new character in every two weeks or so, each one more broken than the last. The worst part being that you know people who had it day one were just buying it up immediately. It would be like if you went over to your rich friend's house to play Smash and they start kicking your rear end because they bought the newest fighter. It's a weak metaphor but meh.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

MOBAs are cool because they're a team game, your win or loss depends on how well you work as a team. Coordination, covering each other, relying on them, it's all part of being part of a larger thing, and I think that's something which is appealing to nerds who were never part of real team sports. Which makes it so weird that 90% of MOBA players go solo into their games

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

During that Chinese takeover, all the portraits of the characters started to get noticeably anime-ish.

I guess we're talking about different things, it's just incredibly weird and hilarious to me to hear anyone speak well of the old LoL launcher.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zorodius posted:

MMR matchmaking kinda sucks because it makes every match feel same-y.

If I join a random server in Quake, there are going to be some guys who are so much better than me it's like I'm trying to aim with an Atari stick shoved up my rear end in a top hat. And some guys will be worse by the same amount. It makes things interesting.

MMR feels like a measure of how much effort you're willing to put into Playing Video Games, so if you want a bigger number you have to treat the game like a job. You'll still win/lose about 50% of the time anyway, though, so the only thing you're progressing at is taking games too seriously.

That's basically what I was trying to say. I hate the enforced ~50% winrate because you know when you go on a win streak you're going to get a wall of losses to bring it back down. It makes things very grind-y and if I wanted to grind I'd start playing maplestory again.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
e-thports

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That's basically what I was trying to say. I hate the enforced ~50% winrate because you know when you go on a win streak you're going to get a wall of losses to bring it back down. It makes things very grind-y and if I wanted to grind I'd start playing maplestory again.

Why is it a "grind?" It's not like your ranking is your level in your RPG, all it does is give you fair fights instead of letting you get to the 40th percentile of player skill or so and then spend the rest of your time clowning on bads. Which, I mean, yeah that's fun for a while but you stop improving and it drives away newbies.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Knowing you did your best, but still losing because one guy goes afk just because, teammate goes insane and refuses to help you because you bought the wrong item, etc..

Gets so old after awhile, and I was willing to stick it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

It was about chasing that feeling of knowing that you did something that was effective enough to help the team win. Also you didn't die.

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have.

• Locked thread