Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

my new dog posted:

linux is cool cus it makes me feel like hacker man just like the yospos style does

we are all hacker man in yospos :)
computer makes it possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if you job is a linux, do you hate your job?

like seriously? i cant comprehend how you could enjoy your job when all the problems you solve arent fun to solve. you arent learning anything new thats valuable in your day to day.how can u possibly be motivated to go to work each day?

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

obstipator posted:

we are all hacker man in yospos :)
computer makes it possible

love computer, thanking every day

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Okay so no later that one day after i proclaim i've not had to gently caress aroudn with arch linux for 6months+, i upgrade the kernel today and my wifi breaks on reboot. I then do several downgrade/upgrade cycles and it spontaneously starts working again for no reason lol. loving lunix

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qhat posted:

Okay so no later that one day after i proclaim i've not had to gently caress aroudn with arch linux for 6months+, i upgrade the kernel today and my wifi breaks on reboot. I then do several downgrade/upgrade cycles and it spontaneously starts working again for no reason lol. loving lunix

lol arch

if you are going to walk on the bleeding-edge don't complain when you inevitably get cut

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The_Franz posted:

lol arch

if you are going to walk on the bleeding-edge don't complain when you inevitably get cut

lol you cretin it was a joke at the irony of immediately getting cut after going on about how it'd been stable for a long while

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sounds like a pebcak op. check your ID-10t status lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

its reason for existing is pretty simple really: linux from scratch is a fun hobbyist thing, but too difficult for a lot of people. so what if you made linux from scratch except you didn't do anything from scratch?
In other words you downloaded a bunch of other people's code and built it with canned scripts?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

obstipator posted:

like seriously? i cant comprehend how you could enjoy your job when all the problems you solve arent fun to solve. you arent learning anything new thats valuable in your day to day.how can u possibly be motivated to go to work each day?
lookit this word salad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

use fedora, op

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gazpacho posted:

lookit this word salad

a succinct pondering of my perplexity of the mind behind the linuxer is a word salad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bro the first time i installed lunix I hAd to download a weird proggy for writing a boot image to a floppy and also calculate the partition sizes with a pencil and paper. If it's your first time out you should use enterprise distribution DVDs which are like that Simpsons episode where fat Homer monitors the power plant from home. if those don't work for you it's probably because you bucked the defaults or are just dumb

Anywhere I go I'm virtually guaranteed to have stArted using lunix before any other dev and lol if u think that isn't valuable

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what is going on w/ your A key

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Silver Alicorn posted:

what is going on w/ your A key

his linux is broken, just as expected

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
linux is buggy,,, and is it also: clunky!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It's just over the shif key on the iPhone keyboArd and my fingers are fat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
get a dialing wand

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

I've never met or talked to anyone who used or recommended gentoo

i've used it (:ssh: it's bad :ssh:)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you shut your whore mouth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

get a posting wand

Fixed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Didn't know this thing had a name, thanks

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Maximum Leader posted:

I've never met or talked to anyone who used or recommended gentoo
My last job involved a good six years of me supporting managed gentoo installs before our biggest client forced us onto ubuntu. I haven't stopped smiling since I quit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i knew someone who used gentoo but it was only for a pos home linux server

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

managed gentoo

lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pram posted:

get a dialing wand

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called `Linux', and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called `Linux' distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Stallman literally wants to incorporate every program that interoperates electronically with GNU software as part of GNU, and has his lawyer looking for ways to do so

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

GNU/Windows 10 is the worst linux

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
get ready for SCO/Linux 2: Stallman GNUgaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0&t=27s

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sorry Stallman but the word 'Gnu' sucks and noone wants to call it that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the best thing about gentoo was trying to emerge openoffice on a pentium 166

that thing would compile for a week straight before failing spectacularly because the gentoo beginners guide encourages you to gently caress up your compiler flags

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Gazpacho posted:

get ready for SCO/Linux 2: Stallman GNUgaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t96m2ynKw0&t=27s

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

buddy you have no idea

:(

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Doc Block posted:

i've used it (:ssh: it's bad :ssh:)

Same. Very educational way to spend a lot of time though. E.g. during a stint of unemployment.

You will learn exactly that is is bad because of this:

r u ready to WALK posted:

the best thing about gentoo was trying to emerge openoffice on a pentium 166

that thing would compile for a week straight before failing spectacularly because the gentoo beginners guide encourages you to gently caress up your compiler flags

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

:agreed:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

obstipator posted:

Fat stack, OP, fat stacks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

actually i'm not gonna say i'm sorry to a man who uses an antique for computing