Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

John_A_Tallon posted:

Hello I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

After he moves to the second drivethru windows please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

How much for a slave?

Is it more or less than my iPhone

that really depends on the time period! slaves are a commodity like anything else, so the price will fluctuate with supply and demand. so like, after the Third Punic War when Rome enslaved and entire civilization i bet slaves were pretty cheap.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'd be breeder stud slave, strong backs are worth their weight in slavers gold

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
My car is way more useful than a slave, this seems like a bad financial decision unless the slave can carry me and all my stuff while running 70mph.

I guess bread and water is cheaper than gas at least.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zoe posted:

My car is way more useful than a slave, this seems like a bad financial decision unless the slave can carry me and all my stuff while running 70mph.

I guess bread and water is cheaper than gas at least.

what was more expensive, a slave or a horse?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Just going from Wikipedia here

In Classical Athens, obols were traded as silver coins. Six obols made up the drachma. There were also coins worth two obols ("diobol") and three obols ("triobol"). Each obol was divisible into eight "coppers" (χαλκοί, khalkoí). During this era, an obol purchased a kantharos and chous (6 pints or 3 liters) of wine.[6] Three obols was a standard rate for prostitutes.

In the 4th century people also got one drachma per year to pay for admission to the three-day Dionysia festival, two obols per day. Presumably some chose to spend their drachma on 18 liters of wine or two goes with a prostitute instead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grevling posted:

In Classical Athens, obols were traded as silver coins. Six obols made up the drachma. There were also coins worth two obols ("diobol") and three obols ("triobol"). Each obol was divisible into eight "coppers" (χαλκοί, khalkoí). During this era, an obol purchased a kantharos and chous (6 pints or 3 liters) of wine.[6] Three obols was a standard rate for prostitutes.

In the 4th century people also got one drachma per year to pay for admission to the three-day Dionysia festival, two obols per day. Presumably some chose to spend their drachma on 18 liters of wine or two goes with a prostitute instead.

classical Athens also had a welfare program, you could collect 2 obols per day from the city government if you were old and destitute

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Rutibex posted:

classical Athens also had a welfare program, you could collect 2 obols per day from the city government if you were old and destitute

I think you were also given a small per diem if you were a juror so lots of old folks ended up making a tiny income that way. I think also that any Athenian citizen was legally obligated to provide for their fathers in old age unless the father didn't teach their son a trade. Been forever since I read Will Durant so maybe I'm hazy on that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Grevling posted:

i'm the guy sitting on the corner pounding 18-liter jugs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'm the guy sitting on the corner pounding 18-liter jugs

ahem, i think you mean 18-liter amphora

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

how many magic carpets was it to buy a doobiest maximas

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

ahem, i think you mean 18-liter amphora

la de fuckin da, now you gonna give me poo poo for wearing a torc and even pants too?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

la de fuckin da, now you gonna give me poo poo for wearing a torc and even pants too?

Pants? loving barbarian.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pfff

*drinks unmixed wine*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the real question is how many talents of weed can I get for a talent of silver?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

the real question is how many talents of weed can I get for a talent of silver?

Presumably if you had the idea you could take your talent of silver and go find the Scythians. According to Herodotus they liked to get high.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

reignofevil posted:

Money you can break down into strips or some poo poo representing fractional value of the bill would be convenient as hell tbh.

As long as they weren't easy to tear accidentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBx1sXcxWic

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Another thing, in ancient Athens a talent was a shiiitload of money. The equivalent of 6000 drachmae, when one drachma was a day's pay for a rower. But a talent was about what you'd expect to spend to keep a warship with a crew of rowers for a month, and some people had to pay for that (and could afford it, too).

Come to think of it, since they earned one drachma per day and a drachma could buy you 18 liters of wine or sex with a hooker twice furlough must have been fun for Athenians rowers.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 27, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
is a talent a money, or is it a unit of weight like the pound is/was?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I think it's mostly the latter, just a certain amount of silver.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is a talent a money, or is it a unit of weight like the pound is/was?

its a unit of weight. you can have a talent of gold or silver. they are worth different amount, but weigh the same.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

One talent of wine please!

Yes I'll pay by credit card.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Three pages and nobody mentioned that Phantasy Star IV cost $160 in today's money? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

render to caesar what is caesars, bitch pharisee op

• Locked thread