Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

basic hitler posted:

"asking to jack off on grindr is rather forward" - a sexually liberated man

"out of the blue" I said

I apparently uninstalled Grindr at some point but here are some old messages from Scruff (which I use to gently caress strangers, since there seems to be some confusion, here)

hey, look, evidence, of that thing I said– even for guys who I'm pretty much explicitly there only to gently caress "hey can I jack off in front of you" is something you loving build to

it isn't about whether he asked for consent, the question itself was a jarring, explicit sexual advance on somebody in a professional context that he had no prior romantic or sexual involvement with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Am I the only one that thinks the fact his comedy is about the sick things he actually did makes it even worse?

People here seem to be saying 'well it's not as bad because that's his act anyway'. Something being funny because it's weird and disgusting and ridiculous suddenly becomes completely unfunny to me when the comic turns out to be, in fact, weird and disgusting.

Then again if that's his comedy act I doubt I'd find it funny anyway.

Thing is I feel the same way about Kevin Spacey. I thought House of Cards was great, but now that it's clear he really is a power abusing sexual predator it gives a really ugly vibe to his work.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

basic hitler posted:

I thought the incidents in question were in the early aughts? That would place them not when he was a super famous comic, but just a long time comedy writer and a working comic who sorta-directed pootie tang and something else nobody saw. Not a guy who could make or break your career if you said the wrong thing him.

Unless i'm way off and he was actually a huge deal in the early aughts and just somehow not on comedy central and all that other poo poo i was always tuned into back then.

also gimmie a source for that blacklist stuff that sounds bad but nobody has been bringing that up

here's the source for that stuff. clipped the relevant bits:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html

quote:

Afterward, they ran into Charna Halpern, the owner of influential improv theaters in Los Angeles and Chicago, where Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov performed, and relayed what had happened. “I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t know what to tell them to do,” said Ms. Halpern. Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov decided against going to the police, unsure whether what happened was criminal, but felt they had to respond in some way “because something crazy happened to us,” Ms. Goodman said.

Hoping that outrage would build against Louis C.K., and also to shame him, they began telling others about the incident the next day. But many people seemed to recoil, they said. “Guys were backing away from us,” Ms. Wolov said. Barely 24 hours after they left Louis C.K.’s hotel, “we could already feel the backlash.”

Soon after, they said they understood from their managers that Mr. Becky, Louis C.K’s manager, wanted them to stop telling people about their encounter with Louis C.K. Lee Kernis, one of the women’s managers at the time, confirmed on Thursday that he had a conversation in which he told Mr. Becky that Louis C.K.’s behavior toward the women had been offensive. Mr. Kernis also said that Mr. Becky was upset that the women were talking openly about the incident.

Mr. Becky denied making any threats toward the women. “I don’t recall the exact specifics of the conversation, but know I never threatened anyone,” he wrote by email on Thursday. Ms. Halpern and Robert Schroeder — Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov’s agent at the time — said that the pair told them that they felt they had been warned to stop talking.

Mr. Becky arguably wields even more power in comedy than Louis C.K. He represents Kevin Hart, Aziz Ansari, Amy Poehler and other top performers, and his company, 3 Arts, puts together programming deals for nearly every platform.

Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov moved to Los Angeles shortly after the Aspen festival, but “we were coming here with a bunch of enemies,” Ms. Goodman said. Gren Wells, a filmmaker who befriended the comedy duo in 2002, said the incident and the warning, which they told her about soon after Aspen, hung heavily over them both. “This is something that they were freaked out about,” Ms. Wells said.

In the years since, Ms. Goodman and Ms. Wolov have found some success, but they remained concerned about Mr. Becky and took themselves out of the running for the many projects he was involved in. Though their humor is in line with what he produces, “we know immediately that we can never even submit our material,” Ms. Wolov said.

you're right though it was earlier than i remembered, so he wasn't the globally famous multimillionaire yet, and that's my bad for misremembering. but clearly he was still pretty influential in his bubble, since his agent was a big wheel who could do this kind of thing when his talent was threatened.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lando131 posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the fact his comedy is about the sick things he actually did makes it even worse?

People here seem to be saying 'well it's not as bad because that's his act anyway'. Something being funny because it's weird and disgusting and ridiculous suddenly becomes completely unfunny to me when the comic turns out to be, in fact, weird and disgusting.

Thing is I feel the same way about Kevin Spacey. I thought House of Cards was great, but now that it's clear he really is a power abusing sexual predator it gives a really ugly vibe to his work.

Remember when they dug up old Cosby jokes about Spanish fly and used those to say he joked about raping women so it was nbd? No?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lando131 posted:

Same. I wonder if his real life is part of the reason he was so drat good in that role now.
Kinda creepy.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

He'll come back with a full head of hair, having lost several stone, reinventing himself as simply "Louis Székely". He'll no longer be funny, and it'll be a shame.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pharma bro Louis Székely rose to prominence after buying the rights to a cheap date rape drug and raising the price over 1000%

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
I walked past a red box the other day and saw that that Lena Dunham can still get work after asualting her sister with a rock. Louis J.O. should be fine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

what gets me is that it wasn't just CK, it was the industry around him, their instant instinct (like it always seems to be in almost EVERY organisation in these cases) was "close ranks around the man who got accused".

like he was a grown adult and should have known that just being like "hey, mind if i jack off in front of you?" in front of professional colleagues with no preamble and then doing it even if they didn't consent was hosed up and wrong, but also the comedy circuit around him should have heard about that and gone, gently caress, ugh, who wants to hang out with this guy. instead they swept it under the rug because Protect The Man is just this beaten in dogma in nearly every industry all over the world.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

dpush posted:

I walked past a red box the other day and saw that that Lena Dunham can still get work after asualting her sister with a rock.

God is dead.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Lando131 posted:

Working Girl is one of my favorite movies and Kevin Spacey was apparently playing a version of himself in his bit part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHoIehOkK0

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Android Blues posted:

what gets me is that it wasn't just CK, it was the industry around him, their instant instinct (like it always seems to be in almost EVERY organisation in these cases) was "close ranks around the man who got accused".

like he was a grown adult and should have known that just being like "hey, mind if i jack off in front of you?" in front of professional colleagues with no preamble and then doing it even if they didn't consent was hosed up and wrong, but also the comedy circuit around him should have heard about that and gone, gently caress, ugh, who wants to hang out with this guy. instead they swept it under the rug because Protect The Man is just this beaten in dogma in nearly every industry all over the world.

i'm pretty sure they all "consented" in the instances where he actually jerked off. albeit they may have felt pressured due to the professional power dynamic and that part's definitely slimey.

really though i just think it's insulting to victims of actual violent rape or sexual assault to make the louie thing out to be traumatic sexual violence or something.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
this was probably inevitable. comedians have had too much cultural capital for too long for a while now. most successful ones seem to have obvious and almost compulsive mental problems. which is the fuel for their speaking 'awkward truths.' which is the whole shtick of comedy these days. i watched amy schumer after all the talk about her transformative feminism, etc., for instance, and it felt immediately obvious that her feminism was a means of acting out her own enormous personal insecurities. it's a matter of luck as to whether your compulsions turn progressive or regressive.

Zane fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 7, 2017

dk2m
May 6, 2009
it must suck for his kids cause now theyre just gonna have to live with a) knowing their dads a public jerker and b) everyyyyone knows

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah at it's core the pathetic man saying "can I jerk off?" and being all excited that finally someone wasn't viciously refusing him jerking off that he exuberantly does it while she awkwardly waited for it to stop. That's mostly funny. I can't say I can imagine there was any trauma there. His agent definitely did some seedy poo poo but do you really think they were scared about retaliation from the fat man preparing to cum on himself? I imagine "bemused but also grossed out" is probably the limit of how strongly one would feel in such a situation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Did he try to stop anyone leaving the room?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lot of people who didn't read the article itt

basic hitler posted:

This is not remotely like a boss asking to jerk off in front of an employee.

quote:

she was working as a performer and producer on a television pilot — a big step in her career — when Louis C.K., a guest star, approached her

she was working in production at “The Chris Rock Show” when Louis C.K., a writer and producer there, repeatedly asked her to watch him masturbate
the blacklist was already covered

basic hitler posted:

it's kind of weird that explicit consent between adults isn't enough anymore.
"explicit consent" means saying yes. That's the entire concept of the "explicit" part. If you're like "can I jack it?" and immediately whip it out, that's not even consent, let alone explicit consent.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I imagine "bemused but also grossed out" is probably the limit of how strongly one would feel in such a situation.
That's cool if that's how you'd feel, but here is how the women felt in their own words: stunned, angry, abused, dumbfounded, angry, betrayed, ashamed, paralyzed, trapped, dispirited, discouraged . . .

Anyway yeah he'll be back in 2019 latest.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Did he try to stop anyone leaving the room?
Somebody apparently

quote:

When he phoned her, he said he was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom.

I think people aren't even realizing there were multiple incidents with different people? anyway I recommend reading the article

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Him make me laugh him jack off good funny

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Secular Humanist posted:

i'm pretty sure they all "consented" in the instances where he actually jerked off. albeit they may have felt pressured due to the professional power dynamic and that part's definitely slimey.

really though i just think it's insulting to victims of actual violent rape or sexual assault to make the louie thing out to be traumatic sexual violence or something.

no they didn't, the article i linked has the account of the two women he j/oed in front of in the early 2000s. according to them he asked, they awkwardly laughed because they assumed it was a joke, and then he started doing it seconds later.

he said "well, i never did it in front of anyone who said no!" in his statement on the matter but he definitely DID do it in front of several people who just froze up in awkward fear and didn't say "yes" either.

naem
May 29, 2011

you know here are plenty of non-skeevy, socially acceptable, non-career destroying ways to ask out your coworkers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

naem posted:

you know here are plenty of non-skeevy, socially acceptable, non-career destroying ways to ask out your coworkers

There's no room for relationships there's just room to JERK IT

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah at it's core the pathetic man saying "can I jerk off?" and being all excited that finally someone wasn't viciously refusing him jerking off that he exuberantly does it while she awkwardly waited for it to stop. That's mostly funny. I can't say I can imagine there was any trauma there. His agent definitely did some seedy poo poo but do you really think they were scared about retaliation from the fat man preparing to cum on himself? I imagine "bemused but also grossed out" is probably the limit of how strongly one would feel in such a situation.

i think this underestimates just how hosed up it can feel to be sexually harassed in a work environment honestly, and this is a REALLY extreme form of sexual harassment. with respect i don't think most men have an emotional frame of reference for this kind of thing, but it does feel dehumanising and upsetting to be exposed to someone else's rank-rear end nasty sexuality without your consent. it becomes really clear that they don't see you as a person, and in a professional environment that's extra jarring because you can't just shrug it off with no consequences, you have to sit there and deal with the disrespect or seriously consider damaging your career or losing your job.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nah it's nothing I mean women are always seeing cocks every day as attested by multiple posters itt

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

like imagine if your boss started giving you a backrub from behind and leaned down and whispered into your ear "god i love to poo poo and piss. i love making GBS threads and pissing in the bathroom at work. hrrh", only no one else in the office thinks this is weird and if you talk about it they'll roll their eyes like "come on, Ted's a good guy, he's just showing you that he likes you."

this is how it feels to be exposed to a man's Genital Foibles as a woman

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I had a dream i looked like the german librarian from college and also had a yellow eye

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Android Blues posted:

like imagine if your boss started giving you a backrub from behind and leaned down and whispered into your ear "god i love to poo poo and piss. i love making GBS threads and pissing in the bathroom at work. hrrh", only no one else in the office thinks this is weird and if you talk about it they'll roll their eyes like "come on, Ted's a good guy, he's just showing you that he likes you."

this is how it feels to be exposed to a man's Genital Foibles as a woman

Seems like i would probably put up with depending on the pay.

Like, for a million dollars im p sure i would let a supervisor belch out a 5 second long queef in my face during quarterly review

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol at the dude posting hookup app convos where dudes call him handsome. An unexpected humblebrag in this, the jerkoff ha-ha man thread

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Masturbating clown dads got no place in a polite society.

I wouldnt blame him for trying but goddamned he is a misereable pathetic peice of poo poo but this time hes not joking so its not really funny at all.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hustlin Floh posted:

Lol at the dude posting hookup app convos where dudes call him handsome. An unexpected humblebrag in this, the jerkoff ha-ha man thread

Kinda makes u wonder how long he's been holding it in. Like, did he just give up after 5 months of ITT threads and go "whelp, i think the thread about louis ck jacking off in front of women is the closest i am gonna get to brag about trolling for mangina on grindr, better post here"

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hustlin Floh posted:

Thank you, I was wondering if we were just gonna let him get away with this

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

Kinda makes u wonder how long he's been holding it in. Like, did he just give up after 5 months of ITT threads and go "whelp, i think the thread about louis ck jacking off in front of women is the closest i am gonna get to brag about trolling for mangina on grindr, better post here"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The best part is Blade Runner is the guy who humblebragged about sleeping with >100 women so all in all this is the humble bragoff 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The best part is Blade Runner is the guy who humblebragged about sleeping with >100 women so all in all this is the humble bragoff 2017

Memory implants. He’s never actually hosed

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
e: not worth it

walgreenslatino fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 7, 2017

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

My bragging is not humble it is just outright

Also if I looked like Ryan Gosling the need for memory implants of my loving would be needless, the loving would merely come to me automatically

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
kinda sad how many people think this isn't that bad for whatever weak rear end excuse they can come up with because they can't accept a funny man is an abusive douche

not surprised a mod is defending it though based on sa mod history lol

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

fruit on the bottom posted:

Memory implants. He’s never actually hosed

If they had memory implants of loving famous people or hot ladies I would absolutely consider it

total recall really failed to think through the potential of the technology

Let's see this weekend the Paris Hilton disinterested gently caress staring at the camera or the Pamela Anderson sex boat cruise

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hustlin Floh posted:

walgreenslatino posted:

Thank you, I was wondering if we were just gonna let him get away with this
hi haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

:^)

e: y'all need to love yourselves, I can't help you with that

Cubone fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 7, 2017

• Locked thread