Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

DoctorGonzo posted:

Best MK was II, 3 is really cheap looking and ruined the franchise.

Shao Kahn is awesome gently caress off with that Shinnok and Quan Chi crap

yea def, MKII on Genesis

Mortal Monday binches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
*combat

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
replacing all Cs with Ks was fkn brilliant stuff that millennials are literally too retarded to ever come up with thats puro gen-x brains spilling out into their beloved job as a computer programmer for a pinball machine company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQu-hLHTZs

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

2 was good but 3 was better. What didn't you like? The combos weren't ridiculous and running was gimmicky but I literally never used it

I honestly don’t see how MK3 is considered better in anyway. The combo/run button really screwed up the gameplay. Mortal Kombat game play differed from other fighters at the time by being pretty easy to get into and allowing random kids to pick it up at the arcade and have a good time. Sure SF and to a lesser extent the SNK fighters were better fighting games but the early MK games were more fun.

Plus they got rid of a lot of the popular characters and replaced them with forgettable new ones (no Scorpion, Kitana/Mileena, Cage, Raiden for MK icons like Nightwolf, Sheeva, Stryker, unmasked Sub Zero). I remember the fatalities being a lot cheesier in 3 as well. 3 is good but it was a step down from 2.

I vaguely recall there was some contract dispute with a few of the actors after 2, so Ed Boon got rid of them and started fresh. Shang Tsung, Sonya, and Liu Kang are all different actors in 3.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

^ the best finisher

from Mortal Kombat II, obviously.....

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

It was better than street fighter

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mariana Horchata posted:

yea def, MKII on Genesis

Mortal Monday binches

No. Mortal Kombat 3 on the Master System

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

1redflag posted:

C-C-C-COMBO-BREAKER!

Also, I still know the blood code for the original MK on Genesis by heart; ABACABB

All Bastard rear end Cops Are Bloody Bastards

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I only really played 1 and 2 on the Genesis, which I liked better than the SNES honestly. Except for some TMNT game. Turtles in Time I believe. That version was better on the SNES.

Sub Zero was my favorite in 1 and Baraka in 2.

In the early 2000s there was a game with a blind dude in it and I was a huge party pooper because I'd hang out at my friend's and we'd all get high and play and no one could beat me with that dude. Not sure which version that was.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I only really played 1 and 2 on the Genesis, which I liked better than the SNES honestly. Except for some TMNT game. Turtles in Time I believe. That version was better on the SNES.

Sub Zero was my favorite in 1 and Baraka in 2.

In the early 2000s there was a game with a blind dude in it and I was a huge party pooper because I'd hang out at my friend's and we'd all get high and play and no one could beat me with that dude. Not sure which version that was.

i remember soul calibur had a blind s&m guy who you could just hit random buttons with to make him brutally sexually assault whoever you were playing against

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
My favourite part of the first MK movie was when the unseen announcer was like "reptile" and then reptile appeared and just started beating the poo poo out of the protagonist for a few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9iFfwUps5k

also every scene with christopher lambert

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

let it mellow posted:

lol I forgot about bloodsport, that was a good and cool movie but how did he not rip his sack with those stretches

Most people's ballsacks don't stick to their inner thighs

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the craziest loving thing about the mortal kombat movie is how the johnny cage/scorpion fight was really cool and still holds up

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Drowning In Terror posted:

My favourite part of the first MK movie was when the unseen announcer was like "reptile" and then reptile appeared and just started beating the poo poo out of the protagonist for a few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9iFfwUps5k

also every scene with christopher lambert

Reptile should have won.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

2 was good but 3 was better. What didn't you like? The combos weren't ridiculous and running was gimmicky but I literally never used it

One thing that sucked is they made Sub Zero look like loving Al Gore

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That was Kenshi, the blind ninja. Probably Deadly Alliance

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

facebook jihad posted:

I honestly don’t see how MK3 is considered better in anyway. The combo/run button really screwed up the gameplay. Mortal Kombat game play differed from other fighters at the time by being pretty easy to get into and allowing random kids to pick it up at the arcade and have a good time. Sure SF and to a lesser extent the SNK fighters were better fighting games but the early MK games were more fun.

Plus they got rid of a lot of the popular characters and replaced them with forgettable new ones (no Scorpion, Kitana/Mileena, Cage, Raiden for MK icons like Nightwolf, Sheeva, Stryker, unmasked Sub Zero). I remember the fatalities being a lot cheesier in 3 as well. 3 is good but it was a step down from 2.

I vaguely recall there was some contract dispute with a few of the actors after 2, so Ed Boon got rid of them and started fresh. Shang Tsung, Sonya, and Liu Kang are all different actors in 3.

Well I should have stated I really meant Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. But yeah, I know most fans of the series see MK2 as the best. I just loved UMK3 so much.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

No. Mortal Kombat 3 on the Master System

nice

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

imagine having strong opinions about mortal combat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

OMGVBFLOL posted:

its kombat. with a K

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Well I should have stated I really meant Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. But yeah, I know most fans of the series see MK2 as the best. I just loved UMK3 so much.

Yeah UMK3 is a pretty big improvement and I’d put on par with MK2, depending on how you feel about the combo system. MK3 itself is kind of bad.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Meh. Imagine having opinions on literally any game. Or comic book. Or anything.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, it's weird that all it had to really do was add all the ninjas back (and then some), but there really is a huge difference between Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. Like Mortal Kombat 3 isn't as good as Mortal Kombat II, but I'd put Ultimate MK3 a step above MKII.

Is it just me or did they do a really, really thorough job of replacing all the Mortal Kombat 3 arcade units with Ultimate MK3? Like I literally never saw another vanilla Mortal Kombat 3 arcade machine ever again once Ultimate was introduced.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

facebook jihad posted:

Urban legend has it that they killed off Johnny Cage in the Mortal Kombat 3 backstory as payback because the model who played him appeared in an ad endorsing the knockoff fighting game "Bloodstorm".

lizardman fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 11, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lizardman posted:

Urban legend has it that they killed off Johnny Cage in the Mortal Kombat 3 backstory as payback because the model who played him appeared in an ad endorsing the knockoff fighting game "Bloodstorm".

mortal kombat has a backstory?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Mariana Horchata posted:

^ the best finisher

from Mortal Kombat II, obviously.....

Liu Kang friendship disco is best finisher

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Did you know:

There was a Mortal Kombat novel from 1995?

https://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Jeff-Rovin/dp/1572970596/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512950412

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Think about this. If it wasn't for Mortal Kombat we would never have the most incredible and weirdest fighting game ever made.

Dong Dong Never Die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXOo2OBheEw

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sadly, mortal kombat was always a game that required minor skill at the most. It was an arcade game that lived off of random poo poo like finishing moves than anything that actually became competitive.

Come back when street fighter 2 is 25 years old eh, Miss?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lizardman posted:

That would explain Cage for sure, but they also got rid of the guy who played the ninjas, Raiden, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, and Sonya (maybe Kano? I don’t give a gently caress enough about Kano to care).

It’s really a head scratcher on their parts. Sub Zero, Scorpion, and Raiden were without a doubt some of the most popular characters. And those would have probably been the easiest to replace. Yet they kept Liu Kang and switched actors. Who gives a gently caress about Liu Kang

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

the craziest loving thing about the mortal kombat movie is how the johnny cage/scorpion fight was really cool and still holds up
It holds up well in general, the actual martial arts stuff is pretty good. Annihilation does not.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Wendigee posted:

Sadly, mortal kombat was always a game that required minor skill at the most. It was an arcade game that lived off of random poo poo like finishing moves than anything that actually became competitive.

Come back when street fighter 2 is 25 years old eh, Miss?

Skill =/= Fun

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mortal Kombat the film holds up really well. There's a clear plot, and everything gets laid out right at the begining. This is Sonya Blade, she's after Kano; this is Liu Kang, he's after Shang Tsung; this is Johnny Cage, he's out for fame; Scorpion and Sub-Zero are Shang Tsung's soldiers, Raiden is the leader of the good guys, Kitana is just kinda there, now that all the characters are established everyone can just roll out and have fights and we've got some clear throughlines to the end of the film.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation just kind of assumes that you know who the characters are and that when they show up they don't need any introduction, they can just start fighting and it's fine. Cyrax and Sektor bust in through a wall and then they fight Jax and Sonya and that's the whole scene. Nightwolf shows up and tells Liu Kang to do something and then is gone from the rest of the film, Jade shows up, becomes friends with Liu Kang, betrays Liu Kang or something, and then gets beat by... maybe Kitana? Probably? and characters just keep popping in and out of the film without any consequence and it's just a bunch of poorly choreographed fight scenes with no glue in between them building up to some real D-level 90s CGI in the final fight.

They're both on Netflix, watch them back to back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:allears:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sockser posted:

Mortal Kombat the film holds up really well. There's a clear plot, and everything gets laid out right at the begining. This is Sonya Blade, she's after Kano; this is Liu Kang, he's after Shang Tsung; this is Johnny Cage, he's out for fame; Scorpion and Sub-Zero are Shang Tsung's soldiers, Raiden is the leader of the good guys, Kitana is just kinda there, now that all the characters are established everyone can just roll out and have fights and we've got some clear throughlines to the end of the film.

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation just kind of assumes that you know who the characters are and that when they show up they don't need any introduction, they can just start fighting and it's fine. Cyrax and Sektor bust in through a wall and then they fight Jax and Sonya and that's the whole scene. Nightwolf shows up and tells Liu Kang to do something and then is gone from the rest of the film, Jade shows up, becomes friends with Liu Kang, betrays Liu Kang or something, and then gets beat by... maybe Kitana? Probably? and characters just keep popping in and out of the film without any consequence and it's just a bunch of poorly choreographed fight scenes with no glue in between them building up to some real D-level 90s CGI in the final fight.

They're both on Netflix, watch them back to back.

I saw the first Mortal Kombat in theaters. I remember it was the first movie I saw with digital sound. That was a change. To me it was ear piercing, but I liked it. I could hear a lot of the tiny stuff that would have been softened out a bit (which is arguable if it's better or not). Everything is digital now. Even the movies. I worked at a movie theater and we had the big reels and everything. Now they put in a disc just like a Blu Ray or something.

Crazy times we live in.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I saw the first Mortal Kombat in theaters. I remember it was the first movie I saw with digital sound. That was a change. To me it was ear piercing, but I liked it. I could hear a lot of the tiny stuff that would have been softened out a bit (which is arguable if it's better or not). Everything is digital now. Even the movies. I worked at a movie theater and we had the big reels and everything. Now they put in a disc just like a Blu Ray or something.

Crazy times we live in.

I saw it in a drive in theater

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

When I first met my wife she got mad when I told her I'd never seen the Mortal Kombat movie, lol. She insisted we find it and watch it immediately and that's when I decided I really liked her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The first movie was unironically good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
When the Hastings store in my town was selling off all their VHS stock in the mid-aughties they had an entire bin filled with nothing but sealed copies of Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins

• Locked thread