Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

935 posted:

All this means for me personally is that the projects my Indian co-workers currently do are going to be given to me, increasing my workload but not my paycheck, so in summary gently caress that noise.

Be thankful you have a job, scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

935 posted:

All this means for me personally is that the projects my Indian co-workers currently do are going to be given to me, increasing my workload but not my paycheck, so in summary gently caress that noise.

It also means you can now ask for more money for more work without the fear of being replaced by said Indian co-workers.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RedRaven posted:

It also means you can now ask for more money for more work without the fear of being replaced by said Indian co-workers.

they can just say nah we'll just document your "poor performance" and fire you for cause in 6 months

speaking of which, how do european countries stop companies from doing that? do they not have the "salary = we can work you more than 40 hours" or what?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mind the walrus posted:

How many Indians does each employ?

I can't say I'm thrilled at deportations, but the H-1B was used to undercut a lot of Americans from getting jobs. I don't think this change will actually fix that--any firm worth their salt will go to the ends of the earth to avoid paying anyone below the executive level one more penny than they have to--but it's kind-of nice to see a Trump order that I nominally agree with. Dude is still a loving nutter-butter though.

its mostly asian girls and any policy that takes asian women out of this country is a bad one in my eyes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I could make an effort post about the the h1-b program but basically, the problems are related to the conditions under which you have to live with the visa. You could easily alleviate the "slave labor" part by getting rid of the onerous requirements that one leaves within 2 weeks if they ever lose their job - that part is ridiculous and does indeed make you and your family thralls to your employer until you get that green card.

Additionally, many of the visas go to extremely shady contracting companies which further exploit their employees while still placing them in large american companies. They do not give the barest poo poo about you and are the ones with the slum housing and threats to you if you try to leave. One girl I worked with closely would randomly not be paid, or paid for too few hours, or even booked negative hours somehow, and this poo poo would happen every week. The american companies themselves treat them much better but, if they're still employed through the contractor, they could easily be screwed over by them.

So, fix the program by letting them stay for 6 months to find new work, or something like that, and stop awarding the visas to these shady contracting companies instead of giving them directly to american companies. I don't think hiring them over americans is a big issue, we're talking 200k people here and most of them want to just move to america and raise families here and stuff, just like how it's always been. :shrug:

Also the 90,000 thing isn't true - that's not in a bill that's passed, it just went through some committee. I believe it's 60,000 minimum as of now.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I could make an effort post about the the h1-b program but basically, the problems are related to the conditions under which you have to live with the visa. You could easily alleviate the "slave labor" part by getting rid of the onerous requirements that one leaves within 2 weeks if they ever lose their job

yeah, even among "good" companies i've seen them treat people poorly. picture the shittiest job you've had - they don't do anything illegal but it's bad and you are only sticking it out because staying a year will look good and you don't want to end up in a lovely company the second time out.

now picture this job with no leverage, no ability to even insinuate anything is other than perfect.

:smith:

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i was making six figures in it, got moved to another team, a visa worker took over my work on the old team, whose code i had to keep fixing, then i was laid off

at this company we were like 80% visa workers, and they are very hard workers who were hard to compete with. the way they explained it to me is that they cannot leave the job or they have to go home. hosed up. very competitive environment

i mean it wasn't hard to get a new job making more, but lol

oh crap i'm SLIGHTLY effort posting in gbs again what the hell am i doing. quick, somebody run me off

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

MODS?!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Mandator posted:

i was making six figures in it, got moved to another team, a visa worker took over my work on the old team, whose code i had to keep fixing, then i was laid off

at this company we were like 80% visa workers, and they are very hard workers who were hard to compete with. the way they explained it to me is that they cannot leave the job or they have to go home. hosed up. very competitive environment

i mean it wasn't hard to get a new job making more, but lol

oh crap i'm SLIGHTLY effort posting in gbs again what the hell am i doing. quick, somebody run me off

garbage men in NYC make six figures

it's called being in a union

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

maskenfreiheit posted:

speaking of which, how do european countries stop companies from doing that? do they not have the "salary = we can work you more than 40 hours" or what?

Well there's generally good legal protections and short working weeks to begin with. But probably not for that much longer in the UK. A couple of my British-employed colleagues went to do some project work in Sweden and worked 10-12 hour days but the locals certainly didn't. They'd actually been trying a 6-hour work day but I think that's been mostly abandoned now.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

do u know jenny posted:

cool man i am just really into coding, but being a garbage man seems cool too

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i am not an expert on this stuff, i was just posting a story that i thought kinda related, my bad

i don't want to talk about unions or whatever

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

to be honest i don't even read threads i just look at ops and then respond

then i check the replies a few hours later and usually somebody's mad at me

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

and to be even more honest, 40% of the time i don't even read the replies at all, i just gently caress off

QUADRUPLE POST

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mandator posted:

and to be even more honest, 40% of the time i don't even read the replies at all, i just gently caress off

QUADRUPLE POST

Listen buddy you better gently caress... on

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’m a garbage man

Not my job or anything, I’m just garbage, and a man

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mandator posted:

i am not an expert on this stuff, i was just posting a story that i thought kinda related, my bad

i don't want to talk about unions or whatever

yeah, i can see why you wouldn't want to talk about unions considering there is no chance of you ever belonging to one

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Kind of grinds my gears that you can't say the word slavery without people immediately going "oh well it isn't as bad as chattel slavery from 1700-1800s USA so can't be slavery!"

I mean, by that definition, basically slaves didn't exist at any time in history except for in the antebellum US South - afaik commonly recognized as one of the most brutal systems of slavery to ever exist. I guess Columbus was worse to the Arawak.

Lmao

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
finally our coal miners can get new jobs in the code mines

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't blame him. Unionchat never fails to get aggressive as gently caress and it's just no fun.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i can see why you wouldn't want to talk about unions considering there is no chance of you ever belonging to one

yeah it sucks i totally want in one

worker protections are good and stuff

is what what you want to hear?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

He’s right, you clearly have no idea what the heck you’re talking about.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

do u know jenny posted:

unions have opposed scab immigrant labor since forever. cesar chavez worked with the immigration police

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Counterpoint: H1B is an indentured servitude system which exists to drive down prevailing wages for skilled Americans. Any claim that there are no skilled local workers is highly dubious, and the rules of the program are almost never enforced. The results are a cheap disposable workforce with no rights, foreign diploma mills, and leaving displaced, underemployed, and underpayed Americans in it's wake.

Came here to say this, like obviously there'd be better ways of handling that anything trump suggests but the system as is has gotten to the point where abuse (by employers) is so rampant it needs to be addressed in some form.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Came here to say this, like obviously there'd be better ways of handling that anything trump suggests but the system as is has gotten to the point where abuse (by employers) is so rampant it needs to be addressed in some form.

yeah that was kind of the point of the story i told a few posts up, but then somebody got mad at me about unions or something, and i was like what i didn't say anything about unions i don't even think we disagree about them at all (?), and now i'm replying to you

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mandator posted:

yeah that was kind of the point of the story i told a few posts up, but then somebody got mad at me about unions or something, and i was like what i didn't say anything about unions i don't even think we disagree about them at all (?), and now i'm replying to you

Trump has broken a lot of people's minds so even when he does something reasonable you'll have people screaming at you for completely unrelated things and try to write you off as a chud just for being slightly in agreement.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Using illegal immigrant labor is bad because they have no rights, are overworked, and underpaid.

Using H1B labor is bad because they have no rights, are overworked, and underpaid.

Immigration should be easier and employers shouldn't be allowed to skirt labor laws.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

do u know jenny posted:

NYC actually has outsourced a lot of trash pickup and no way are they making 6 figures. The industry managed to push out the "strong" unions and cut deals with the ones who remained. Cool infographic about one ridiculous trash route and an associated feature article were published last week:
https://www.propublica.org/article/trashed-inside-the-deadly-world-of-private-garbage-collection

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Trump has broken a lot of people's minds so even when he does something reasonable you'll have people screaming at you for completely unrelated things and try to write you off as a chud just for being slightly in agreement.

that makes sense, he broke my brain too. all fucks i once gave have slowly evaporated over the past year. it's actually kinda liberating, making lemonade out of lemons if you will

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

they can just say nah we'll just document your "poor performance" and fire you for cause in 6 months

Retaliatory firing is as illegal in the US as in Europe and people can and do successfully sue for it. Unlike layoffs termination with cause is pretty well regulated and enforced, if an employer bothers they seriously loving hate you and you're probably going to jail for whatever you did.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mandator posted:

that makes sense, he broke my brain too. all fucks i once gave have slowly evaporated over the past year. it's actually kinda liberating, making lemonade out of lemons if you will

Racist lemons

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

He’s right, you clearly have no idea what the heck you’re talking about.

Its sad we cant have an honest dialogue about the slavery in the getting paid to sit at a computer industry without a bunch of BLM SJW sucking their teeth and saying stuff like Ubuntu Kinte and just minimizing the struggle of IT workers in general

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Retaliatory firing is as illegal in the US as in Europe and people can and do successfully sue for it, unless your performance actually is demonstrably fireably poorer than everyone else's and the company was already considering shitcanning you. Unlike layoffs termination with cause is actually pretty tightly regulated, to the point if an employer bothers they seriously loving hate you and you're probably going to jail for whatever you did. If you're seriously concerned about it as a computer janitor with probably more opportunity to up and change jobs than anyone else in the country go find someone else to work for.

you need to be able to prove it. you also need :10bux: for a lawyer - this is not easy to prove and thus not something taken on contingency.

it's perfectly legal to set a new, more stringent performance standard due to staffing issues. the idea is you "see the writing on the wall" and look for a job during the 6-12 months the process plays out. if you don't "play ball" then yes, they will hate you.

companies in tech tend to all settle on a practice so any one company's lovely practices with regard to work life balance tend to apply to all of them. it takes extreme luck to find a job that both pays reasonably well and respects work/life balance.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Retaliatory firing is as illegal in the US as in Europe and people can and do successfully sue for it, unless your performance actually is demonstrably fireably poorer than everyone else's and the company was already considering shitcanning you. Unlike layoffs termination with cause is actually pretty tightly regulated, to the point if an employer bothers they seriously loving hate you and you're probably going to jail for whatever you did. If you're seriously concerned about it as a computer janitor with probably more opportunity to up and change jobs than anyone else in the country go find someone else to work for.

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i see this happen all the time, and it has happened to me before. and the idea of suing over it... i had and still have no idea how i'd prove i wasn't a problem employee

you piss off the wrong person (your manager, in my case), all the sudden you become a problem employee, every fart or cough is documented, then you are terminated for poor performance after an adequate period of time (couple months)

maybe i could have sued but i didn't have the money and just moving on and getting a new job seemed more prudent at the time. still kinda does

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Mandator posted:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i see this happen all the time, and it has happened to me before. and the idea of suing over it... i had and still have no idea how i'd prove i wasn't a problem employee

you piss off the wrong person (your manager, in my case), all the sudden you become a problem employee, every fart or cough is documented, then you are terminated for poor performance after an adequate period of time (couple months)

maybe i could have sued but i didn't have the money and just moving on and getting a new job seemed more prudent at the time. still kinda does

and you don't even really have to fart or cough. you can hold your farts and coughs in and they will still find something to document, i think the term is "lying"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You can edit posts, man.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

You can edit posts, man.

wh..what?

edit: omg

edit 2: but seriously, i have been reading the forums longer than i have been registered, and only a week ago i noticed that clicking the quote link will jump to the post id. i have been loving manually hunting down quoted posts for years

Mandator fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 8, 2018

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Buccaneer posted:

Its sad we cant have an honest dialogue about the slavery in the getting paid to sit at a computer industry without a bunch of BLM SJW sucking their teeth and saying stuff like Ubuntu Kinte and just minimizing the struggle of IT workers in general

lmao at your unironic use of SJWS and how angry you are about computer janitors

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

you need to be able to prove it. you also need :10bux: for a lawyer - this is not easy to prove and thus not something taken on contingency.

it's perfectly legal to set a new, more stringent performance standard due to staffing issues. the idea is you "see the writing on the wall" and look for a job during the 6-12 months the process plays out. if you don't "play ball" then yes, they will hate you.

companies in tech tend to all settle on a practice so any one company's lovely practices with regard to work life balance tend to apply to all of them. it takes extreme luck to find a job that both pays reasonably well and respects work/life balance.

It's perfectly legal to set a higher standard, but it falls on the employer to demonstrate they're not just arbitrarily targeting one person to get around labor laws when challenged. Termination with cause is like telling an applicant why you didn't hire them - yeah, it's something a manager could theoretically do, maybe it's harmless, but it's choosing to expose the company to liability and put your own job on the line for no real reason when you could easily just say gently caress off with no further elaboration and let the company suck up the relatively tiny UI cost it's already budgeted for.

If you're seriously worried about being fired with cause, there's probably excellent reasons to fire you with cause, and you're the kind of person who's going to claim it's all politics when you get canned for letting the HR lady see you jerk off at your desk.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Buccaneer posted:

How much do you hate your job that you envy people with no rights who work tons of overtime doing things like writing software while getting paid poo poo

Find a new job you bitter person

• Locked thread