Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
A conspiracy theory forum called above top secret. One of their biggest threads was about whether homosexuality was wrong. They thought me empathy for other human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

Cor blimey ye was just a wee bairn

hurr durr blurr aium the bloke whut choose to roleplay the mole

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I would do lovely photoshops and share them on ebaumsworld

I actually came across an image I created around 2000-1 recently so that was cool

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Straight Dope, they had some funny threads in their archives and I kept reading references to SA so I checked it out and then lurked for years----- What I thought was lurking, but it actually wasn't really. I was reading the archives of PYF, the sagas mostly, all the links in there.

I didn't know poo poo about posting on a forum until June of last year when I started posting in GBS.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Duggler posted:

I would do lovely photoshops and share them on ebaumsworld

I actually came across an image I created around 2000-1 recently so that was cool

That IS cool, you should post it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aesop Poprock posted:

hurr durr blurr aium the bloke whut choose to roleplay the mole

Lol

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ricecop, it was a car forum dedicated to making fun of the fast and furious wanna be cars around the time that movie came out. That's how I found out about this forum and I see one or two people from back then posting here still.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Panadol posted:

A conspiracy theory forum called above top secret. One of their biggest threads was about whether homosexuality was wrong. They thought me empathy for other human beings
One of their members shot up his school on the Red Lake Reservation in 2005. He also posted some violent stuff to Newgrounds.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sounds like a false flag imo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

sounds like a false flag imo
I didn't read the whole thread, but it looks like nobody on their said anything about a false flag. Conspiracy theorists on a forum in 2005, have more common sense than people you probably know in your personal life today.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
tribalwar

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I was a member of a few forums from 99-03. IGN with its original black background, Nintendorks, some other N64 fan site, a Perfect Dark fan site (perfectlydark.com? datadynehq.com?). Sometimes certain SA topics or posts were linked. I think one was "Take a picture of yourself jumping." There was another topic titled something like "What's the darkest, heaviest, sludgiest, doom-sounding black metal song you've ever heard?" I didn't care for the SA forums, but I looooved the front page. Eventually I decided to make an account and I went to the forums and IIRC it was the introduction of the 10 dollar account. My first thought was that it was outrageous to spend 10 dollars to post on a forum, I remember cursing myself for procrastinating. Eventually I bought an account. Can't remember if it was SA specifically, but I made a "HI, IM NEW" topic where I was belittled and warned, but was not reprimanded.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
motherfucking Prodigy chatrooms bitch!!!!1

that or AOL i cant remember. all i know is i played that maze game on Prodigy way, way too much.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
IGN

My WUL count was never respectable

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

A board for my EverQuest server, Tallon Zek Times. We argued about which guilds totally sucked and also politics. At some point a guy on there changed his avatar to the SA grenade and wouldn't shut up about how great goons were.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Jose posted:

the gamewinners.com forums

me too. Mostly the super smash bros forum around 2003

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My first forum experience was gamefaqs. It was about 2000-2001. I mostly hung around the pro wrestling and fighting game threads. I was definitely there a lot during the buildup to Tekken 4.

Somehow I came across this old fighting game comedy site called highervoltage.net. I recall them mostly being into Capcom and SNK fighting games but included every thing. I got sucked into their forum eventually. It was mostly garbage but had some good discussion on different fighting games. I wasn’t much of a poster but I did start a politics thread that went on for years after I quit posting. I would check on the forum when I was bored (the forum also way out lasted the site, which was itself always down for some reason.

After that I briefly joined the Tourette’s guy forum for a bit in college, though I remember that forum not lasting long at all. That place was a loving zoo, and I didn’t really fit in and posted like for a month. I still find it hilarious that a. There was a forum for that guy and b. That I actually joined it. This would have been around 2006 I think.

For SA, I was big into ebaums world in high school, but I eventually learned about how they stole content from a lot of places, including albinoblacksheep and SA. I visited ABS first but didn’t like it much. SA I didn’t really ‘get’ for a while but eventually I started enjoying the front page, then found the forum.

I registered in 2007, but honestly outside of my time at Gamefaqs I never really understood what the big deal about posting was. I made accounts with the other two forums because there was something I wanted to say (and maybe you had to register to access the TG forum) but mostly just lurked. For my SA account I looked at threads and posted for my first month but quickly lost interest after a bit. It took a combination of—two years after registering—moving to another state for grad school and not knowing anyone along with a brief return to interest in pro wrestling to get me to start posting mostly in the pro wrestling forum before spreading out to other areas.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 15, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I used to post/read cheat ccc a bunch and got linked here from a FF8 walk through or something for video games.

I also contributed to Allakhazam and EQAtlas ALOT.

Now I don't read games and only play COD and am mostly active in specific threads.

My first account was an 02 I think and I got banned for letting my dad do an A/T about growing up in colombia during the political turmoil before pablo.

Account sharing lmao.

E: Forums weren't a big part of my life cause I played ever quest from like age six to 17 or 18. I had to stop to pursue sports. But the community in the game kind of filled that for me.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Forumopolis an offshoot of the PVP comics forums.

PVP forums was my start, never moved to Forumopolis (Kurtz sure hated his community). The community had become way too clique-y and was basically a PG version of SA at the time.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I was 16 and had just read a "review" of Halo 2 I think it was, on the frontpage, that russled my jimmies so hard I immediately stole my moms Visa and bought an account.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Cal forums for my call of duty 2 clan

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
other than the usual aol chat rooms first forum I really got into was xentales.com bitch the unofficial forum for the epic indie morpg xenimus gently caress yes and then hell yea the pirates vikings and knights half life mod forums. Then the forums for 999 UO freeshards

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Holy gently caress I love forums!!!!!

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Either White Wolfs or Interplays forum.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my first exposure to SA was through the front page in 2006. a friend in high school kept talking about it. my favorite contributors at the time were Zach Parsons and bobservo, as well as the bad movie reviews. i knew the forums existed but i didn't know what went on in them. there was a poster on the MTGSalvation forums who was a goon, which got me interested in registering here. after my drunkposting ban i bit the bullet and paid my $10

my sister went to college with one of the guys who wrote the Awful Movie Reviews, Ben Platt (aka Greasnin)

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
I think it was the Gameshark forums, specifically the N64 subforum. I also remember spending a lot of time in late 1999 arguing about whether "Pokegods" existed and whether it was possible to get the triforce in Ocarina of Time. I can't remember what forum that was on, but it pre-dated my introduction to SA by a year or so.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Smythe posted:

Holy gently caress I love forums!!!!!

Hell same. If I Ever win poweball I’m gonna get a 10 story tall monitor and quit my job and look at Internet forums ALL DAy!!!!!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I used to post on local BBS until AOL happened and then it was a chat extravaganza. I only got back into internet posting after chat sites mostly died or were overrun by dudes showing their dicks.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
greatestgamers.com which was soon absorbed into the notorious video gaming website conglomerate gamewinners.com, to talk about wrestling and banjo-kazooie and be... random!!!!11one :D

I had a free email with them which shut down, eventually locking me out of my neopets account, which had accumulated many millions of neopoints from helping release the neopet v2 hostages and exploiting the infamous "grundo's gym" loophole before it was closed

I just checked and gamewinners shut down three months ago, which might be more baffling than if it still existed

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I used to view the [myg0t] forums when I was like 11 because I thought they were soooo cool trolling people in video games. That somehow directed me to Gen[m]ay (Were brackets some sort of hip thing in the early 2000s?) which I guess is some sort of offshoot of SA or something. But back in the day SA really hated them, and so my sister bought me an SA account when I was like 15 and literally my first post here was me saying "Hey everyone! I'm from Genmay so I know what's up LOL", which went over well.

I ate a probation like 2 weeks in for posting a picture of myself in a "Post a Picture of yourself" threat in A/T which was apparently a honeypot thread. Why the gently caress did SA use to have honeypot threads in A/T? I don't know. Then like two weeks after that I got banned for making a GBS photoshop thread, but my OP only contained three pictures which was apparently under the required limit so I ate a ban. I remember teenage me logging on using the family computer and there was a picture of a cum-drenched tarantula on a man's erect penis.

Also my original avatar was the two kids from Full Metal Alchemist, despite having never watched that show.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
something awful when i was 14, i made my parents donate to that flood africa with bees thing

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I ran a BBS with two phone lines. Wow, that was a long time ago. I kinda miss fidonet. Some of the sysops were sociopaths, too.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

IGN forums for Dark Ages of Camelot represent m*therf*ckers!!!! +1 ha ha ha ha!!!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sugar free jazz posted:

IGN forums for Dark Ages of Camelot represent m*therf*ckers!!!! +1 ha ha ha ha!!!

I asked for that game for my birthday when it came out and our computer was so under-powered for it at the time that it ran at 1 fps at most and my character basically just stood in place and people would teleport around him and I gave up after like an hour of frustration cause I didn't know how computers played games

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

dads friend steve posted:

Some forum about Ultima Online.

This was it for me. The Vault Network or something was the one I started on.

"Flame wars"

That's a phrase that I haven't heard in a while. I feel old.

Edit: As for the "experience" I chalk it up as good. Lessons learned early on, and all that.
Being uber nerd, I hung out with the "Mage Tower" crowd in UO. Pacific represent. Atlantic had a cool crew too I remember.
It was a really well done, decently modded forum for all things magical in the UO game.
Lots of good social players hung out there, and I really enjoyed it.

Nostalgia and what not aside, I can say it was a good time.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 16, 2018

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Late 1990's, the World-of-Nintendo forums ran by an absolute crazy person. Jesse Smith you are truly an inspiration

Used the name Netman cause I was on the net and was a fuckin' man :cool:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

I asked for that game for my birthday when it came out and our computer was so under-powered for it at the time that it ran at 1 fps at most and my character basically just stood in place and people would teleport around him and I gave up after like an hour of frustration cause I didn't know how computers played games

My buddy had an absolute toaster of a computer for years, it was old as gently caress and had problems like you couldn't use the mouse and keyboard at the same time or the mouse would fly off into the corner of the screen and you'd have to restart the computer. Every once in a while he would buy a new game, it wouldn't even install because his computer didn't meet the minimum requirements, and then he'd just give it to me.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

If you don't count BBSing, it was some forum on prodigy.

I remember one guy going by the name of "The Dragon" and some other dude asking him to stop using it because he had been using "The Dragon" first.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Late 1990's, the World-of-Nintendo forums ran by an absolute crazy person. Jesse Smith you are truly an inspiration

Used the name Netman cause I was on the net and was a fuckin' man :cool:
wait, they had forums? i just used the chat rooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
My first forum, I think, was a final fantasy oriented one named rpg-vortex.com back in the late 99's early 00's. It had a front page and everything regarding the latest FF rumours and all that sort of stuff.

The only specifics I remember from it were the drama, the friends I made there, and the concept of flame wars. It went down in a ball of super drama when the second in command posted his junk on the front page. I've no idea why.

After that I went with my internet friends to another, also rpg heavy, forum named kuffa.com which stayed in one piece more or less for 4-5ish years untill it closed down due to inactivity, and we went to yet another forum-ish thing. It was a forum but by now it was, like, 2005?, and forums just werent what they used to be.

Man, I miss those guys now. We hung out for nearly a decade and now I don't even know how/what they're doing.

• Locked thread