Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Did u learn something today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
In South Florida cops used to give out these metal 'badge' looking things to signify you were a cop family member which were designed to be attached to your license plate. Of course they were big and blocked the plate numbers but cops didn't care because they were on cop's personal and family cars. Meanwhile if a normie were to block their plate with anything else he'd get in trouble with the law. It took some news crews going through police dept parking lots noting a majority of cars parked there had obstructed plates in violation of the law before they finally curtailed the practice.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why does this exist in the first place? :pwn:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think we should have full body uniforms that signify what career we hold (i.e. I eat poo poo so I'd wear brown)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

i like that posted:

Why does this exist in the first place? :pwn:

Why wouldn't you want to single out relatives of the police so that other police know not to harass them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like it would be mighty awkward if you pulled over a woman and forced her to blow you at gunpoint and then the next day you find out she's the wife of one of your fellow officers

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Like it would be mighty awkward if you pulled over a woman and forced her to blow you at gunpoint and then the next day you find out she's the wife of one of your fellow officers

:stare:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/us/oklahoma-city-officer-daniel-holtzclaw-rape-sentencing/index.html

https://nypost.com/2017/10/27/nypd-cops-charged-with-raping-woman-in-police-van/

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Long-Island-Cop-Forced-Woman-He-Arrested-Perform-Oral-Sex-Police-Station-436977723.html

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/alabama_police_officer_forced.html

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
police unions are a loving cancer

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Jake Mustache posted:

In South Florida cops used to give out these metal 'badge' looking things to signify you were a cop family member which were designed to be attached to your license plate.

Putting it somewhere visible like on a license plate is a fun idea, since it lets more people than just the police know that the car's owner deserves some "special treatment".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress the police and gently caress police unions

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

i cant tell if this is a joke thread or not

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008
i cannot believe this is real. is it real? ive read all 3 pages and im still not sure, like my brain refuses to accept that this is an actual thing. like what the dude above me said, is this a joke thread?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

discarded box posted:

i cannot believe this is real. is it real? ive read all 3 pages and im still not sure, like my brain refuses to accept that this is an actual thing. like what the dude above me said, is this a joke thread?

It is 1000% real. Go read the articles Blue Train linked if you think get out of jail free cards are beyond the pale of our morally unimpeachable police officers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fartbox posted:

i cant tell if this is a joke thread or not

The bottom line: I should’ve been wearing that silver card around my neck, for Pete’s sake. Turns out, the silver card can be a silver bullet. It’s the highest PBA honor paid to an average citizen and most cops probably would have honored it. The card would’ve saved me hundreds in fines and insurance surcharges if I’d had the inclination to play it.

But that’s a shiny, engraved hunk of precious metal awarded ceremoniously in front of hundreds of cops and spouses. (They come in gold, too — for police and family members.) What about that piece of cardboard (or plastic), signed by a local cop, in your wallet? Here’s how it works:

In most towns, each PBA member gets 10 cards to sign and distribute. When pulled over for a minor motor vehicle offense, the cardholder has the option to show it to an officer, who then decides whether to honor it. Into that decision go several factors:

• Is the town that issued the card nearby? (A Bloomfield cop might not honor an Egg Harbor Township card.)

• Is there a feud between the department that issued your card and the one about to ticket you?

• Is the cop who pulled you over angry because his cards haven’t been honored in other towns?

• And, is the officer who signed your card now dating the ex-wife of the cop about to ticket you?

http://www.nj.com/njvoices/index.ssf/2012/05/pba_cards_do_they_work_and_sho.html

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

dads friend steve posted:

It is 1000% real. Go read the articles Blue Train linked if you think get out of jail free cards are beyond the pale of our morally unimpeachable police officers

i know how terrible cops are, but i feel like this is different. like shouldnt someone, somewhere with some kind of power be like uhhhh these are not okay?? this thread has blown my mind on a level i cant even describe. im still not sure i believe it

discarded box fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 22, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

discarded box posted:

i know how terrible cops are, but i feel like this is different. like shouldnt someone, somewhere with some kind of power be like uhhhh these are not okay??

I too wonder why an elected official doesn't choose to be soft on crime and automatically lose their next election.

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

bloom posted:

I too wonder why an elected official doesn't choose to be soft on crime and automatically lose their next election.

maybe i am dumb and misunderstanding what youre saying but how exactly would outlawing these cards be soft on crime? wouldnt it be the complete opposite?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's it guys, we found the way not to have police corruption anymore : let's stop being a democracy

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

discarded box posted:

maybe i am dumb and misunderstanding what youre saying but how exactly would outlawing these cards be soft on crime? wouldnt it be the complete opposite?

Cops are avatars of human perfection and are by definition incapable of committing crimes.

Have you not seen how a significant portion of the public reacts to the most obviously illegal poo poo done by cops?

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

bloom posted:

Cops are avatars of human perfection and are by definition incapable of committing crimes.

Have you not seen how a significant portion of the public reacts to the most obviously illegal poo poo done by cops?

okay yeah fair enough i get what youre saying, sometimes i forget how god damned stupid most people are. how are there still so many morans out there that think cops are the most noble, heroic and majestic people in the universe? have they just never had any interaction with them? it boggles my mind

discarded box fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Someone needs to re-post the photo of the actual card

You are missed out on a hardy lol. I can’t seem to do it right from my phone

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I want to print out a bunch of fake "cop family member black and blue line" stickers they use out here and put them on every car I find totally diluting the purpose

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Why did he get charged with sodomy for forcing oral sex? Is sodomy just the blanket charge for all non-consensual homosexual activity?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

police unions are a loving cancer

Also worth noting that it's the only labor union that republicans don't hate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

General Dog posted:

Why did he get charged with sodomy for forcing oral sex? Is sodomy just the blanket charge for all non-consensual homosexual activity?

sodomy is anything not p in v

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

discarded box posted:

i know how terrible cops are, but i feel like this is different. like shouldnt someone, somewhere with some kind of power be like uhhhh these are not okay?? this thread has blown my mind on a level i cant even describe. im still not sure i believe it

5 posts above yours is a nowhere near comprehensive list not of rapist cops (that would be far too long) but a light sampling of cops who got caught literally using their position of cop authority to rape the people they're supposed to be protecting while in uniform and on the clock. I've had my rear end beat, windows smashed out, and meager possessions trashed for failing to move to the center lane when passing a stopped emergency vehicle. Did you know that was illegal? I sure didn't, until I was coughing up blood and gathering up everything I owned out of a roadside ditch in Montana.

I guess I'm just super jelly that something as relatively innocuous as "I paid protection already" cards is blowing your mind. Imagine a street gang. Now imagine they are gifted surplus military hardware and insulated entirely from consequence. Now imagine they have been hired to protect the interests of the super-rich and you are *at best* irrelevant to that goal.

Literal jackbooted thugs glide through our neighborhoods in cruisers full of high-tech assault gear worth more than our homes, their purpose to keep the wealthy safe from those in need. They rape, steal, torture, and kill at will. If you give them some money you are slightly safer than those who have given them less or nothing. If your interests conflict with those of their true masters your "donation" won't mean poo poo. Most... illustrative/undeniable display of this imo is watching them clear neighborhoods for "urban renewal". Home and small business owners getting the same treatment as the other undesirables the second their interests don't align with those of the far wealthier developers who want their land

Motherfuck the police. Every piece of poo poo ever to strap on a gun, wave around a badge, and try to impose their will on the world can gently caress right off.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magius1337est posted:

I want to print out a bunch of fake "cop family member black and blue line" stickers they use out here and put them on every car I find totally diluting the purpose

If they find out it is fake it works the opposite of normal and they give you extra punishments. Cops have the worst punishments.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

DrPlump posted:

If they find out it is fake it works the opposite of normal and they give you extra punishments. Cops have the worst punishments.

Like rape

discarded box
Oct 15, 2008

420 SWAGLORD posted:

5 posts above yours is a nowhere near comprehensive list not of rapist cops (that would be far too long) but a light sampling of cops who got caught literally using their position of cop authority to rape the people they're supposed to be protecting while in uniform and on the clock. I've had my rear end beat, windows smashed out, and meager possessions trashed for failing to move to the center lane when passing a stopped emergency vehicle. Did you know that was illegal? I sure didn't, until I was coughing up blood and gathering up everything I owned out of a roadside ditch in Montana.

I guess I'm just super jelly that something as relatively innocuous as "I paid protection already" cards is blowing your mind. Imagine a street gang. Now imagine they are gifted surplus military hardware and insulated entirely from consequence. Now imagine they have been hired to protect the interests of the super-rich and you are *at best* irrelevant to that goal.

Literal jackbooted thugs glide through our neighborhoods in cruisers full of high-tech assault gear worth more than our homes, their purpose to keep the wealthy safe from those in need. They rape, steal, torture, and kill at will. If you give them some money you are slightly safer than those who have given them less or nothing. If your interests conflict with those of their true masters your "donation" won't mean poo poo. Most... illustrative/undeniable display of this imo is watching them clear neighborhoods for "urban renewal". Home and small business owners getting the same treatment as the other undesirables the second their interests don't align with those of the far wealthier developers who want their land

Motherfuck the police. Every piece of poo poo ever to strap on a gun, wave around a badge, and try to impose their will on the world can gently caress right off.

i have had some very, very bad experiences with cops myself. if i knew then just how illegal the poo poo they were pulling with me was id... have done nothing differently because what can you do when the people breaking the law are immune to consequence lol. ive had enough utterly insane encounters with cops i could probably make a whole thread about it if i wasnt poo poo at story telling

i dont know why the get out of jail free thing surprised me so much. its just so brazen i guess? like its just openly acceptable? its like a crack in the facade, because with those stories you mentioned people will always just say "durrr few bad apples"

ive literally had a state trooper pull me over for no reason, claim the ashes on my dashboard from smoking cigs was cocaine i guess so he had probable cause to search my car, then literally plant crack in my car right as local police detectives conveniently show up and tell me how "lucky" i was that they were right around the corner, all as part of some grand scheme to try and leverage me into working as a CI because i knew some dude by proxy that sold drugs. i was scared as gently caress because there were like 5 or 6 people in on this plan, probably more

discarded box fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 22, 2018

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

bloom posted:

Philadelphia’s newest DA promises to be soft on crime and tough on cops. Everyone running was basically running on that platform.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I read about that in hte thread and spent like 30 minutes verifying because I was sure that had to be some satire of some kind but turns out that's a real thing. It's not quite a "get out of jail free" card as apparently its very dependent on if the officer you hand it to knows the officer on the card BUT STILL lmao that right there is a travesty of justice and gently caress the police.

quote:

i dont know why the get out of jail free thing surprised me so much. its just so brazen i guess? like its just openly acceptable? its like a crack in the facade, because with those stories you mentioned people will always just say "durrr few bad apples"

Seriously I was astonished. It is so brazen and egregious.

quote:

I'm not shocked that officers "take care of their own" but I am shocked they literally hand out cards meant for that purpose and sell them on eBay and whatever.

Mobsters don't hand you a certificate after they've come through for a shake down.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2018

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Such a surprise that cops would let off friends and families of other cops, as they are paragons of justice otherwise

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

COMRADES posted:

Mobsters don't hand you a certificate after they've come through for a shake down.

You know that cool graffiti you see on the buildings in bad neighborhoods? Well,

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Lol you must look like a real scumbag

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are probably just not white and either way that post is totally correct.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

COMRADES posted:

They are probably just not white and either way that post is totally correct.

Nah, that particular tone of whininess makes it highly likely that they are white and just look like gutter trash

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

COMRADES posted:

This kinda reminds me of the Thieves' Guild from Discworld. Sure you might get robbed, but you'll get a receipt for what they took and they can only hit you for so much so many times a year depending on the level of protection fee you pay. Thieves who break the rules are harshly punished.

Nevermind, now that I describe it a fantasy crime organization sounds way more fair and reasonable than irl american police. Especially with the part about accountability.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
These demons are bold af. I would think having 3 of these cards would be some scandalous poo poo but it's dozens and dozens a piece??? If it's for 'minor' traffic violations that's still revenue for the city forgone so how is this is any way justifiable

Just when you think you know all about how crooked and immoral these heffers are they stunt with something new. Smh smh!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Nah, that particular tone of whininess makes it highly likely that they are white and just look like gutter trash

Lmao if you're real you are *such* a chud. I'll have you know I'm a young and sexy, tight and toned, clean-cut all-American

• Locked thread