Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

all famous actors/musicians are diddlers news at 10
I bet Steve Harvey isn't.

Mr. Bean probably isn't. Terry Crews probably isn't.

I question whether Norm MacDonald wants to gently caress anyone at all. He had sex once. He enjoyed it. That was enough for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Animal-Mother posted:

Why are the French harboring this kid fucker? Isn't that more of Britain's thing?

Sarkozy hand delivered a request from Polanski to be permitted back to the US to Obama l o l

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018

amusinginquiry posted:

I will admit to the first two, but that was not an ironic use of the word honkey

Admit yourself to a bridge and get over it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Khorne posted:

I bet Steve Harvey isn't.

Mr. Bean probably isn't. Terry Crews probably isn't.

I question whether Norm MacDonald wants to gently caress anyone at all. He had sex once. He enjoyed it. That was enough for him.

Norm is gay. It's well known. Listen to the old Howard Stern interviews he is in. Howard keeps trying to bust His balls and even Artie doesn't really hide it.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

Admit yourself to a bridge and get over it.

The bridge?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Who cares anyway i watch movies and eat sandwiches if they are made by pedos whatever.

If john Ford was a pedo should we only drive a kia?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The standing ovation for Polanski really was gross, and totally tone deaf anywhere outside of Hollywood even at the time. I don't think all of the guy's work should be memory holed forever, because death of the author and all that, but the standing ovation was pretty clearly a self satisfied 'look at how brave we are for celebrating this artist' moment, and I think it went too far.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Odddzy posted:

Norm is gay. It's well known. Listen to the old Howard Stern interviews he is in. Howard keeps trying to bust His balls and even Artie doesn't really hide it.
If it's true, it turns his "I'm not gay, so I don't know much about broadway musicals" joke into a true norm classic.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think the issue is really that Hollywood had successfully kept the eye of the world off itself for as long as possible. With tabloids sort of cozy with their subjects, you largely got news that whoever runs this poo poo wanted to be gotten. Social media's exposed a lot more than anyone could control, and now the open secret of Hollywood's disturbing underbelly is more open and less secret than ever.

It's probably natural to be disillusioned -- I dunno, I'd sort of lost much interest in Hollywood, movies have been less and less interesting over the years. It's almost certainly in need of a brushfire to clean it out and hopefully leave room for something new to come in.

That being said, I also agree that Tarantino shouldn't be alone if he's taken to the gallows for this. I'll be frank, I consider Tarantino a genius, an absolute master of his craft, and frankly I want him to keep making movies forever. However, you consider the story from Uma Thurman that his recklessness in pursuit of a shot left her with permemant back injury, and his connection to Weinstein as well, and I don't really see an outcome here that doesn't end with him stepping out of the public eye for a long time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khorne posted:

If it's true, it turns his "I'm not gay, so I don't know much about broadway musicals" joke into a true norm classic.
How many decades would it have been since he made the joke before the punchline?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like Tarantino's movies but let's be honest, everybody also knew he was a disgusting pervert with a fetish for gore and sucking on toes. I mean just look at the guy. With a face like that you have to be a sex pervert.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nationalize Hollywood.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Then nuke the nation

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sinteres posted:

The standing ovation for Polanski really was gross, and totally tone deaf anywhere outside of Hollywood even at the time. I don't think all of the guy's work should be memory holed forever, because death of the author and all that, but the standing ovation was pretty clearly a self satisfied 'look at how brave we are for celebrating this artist' moment, and I think it went too far.

You can't handwave away the fact that you enjoy movies made by a child rapist by invoking death of the author. Just accept the fact that you enjoy movies made by a child rapist. That's literally the reality of the situation: He's a child rapist, and he also made good movies. Mumbling some magic words doesn't change anything about the situation. It just allows you to avoid facing an unpleasant truth about the world we live in.

e:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think the issue is really that Hollywood had successfully kept the eye of the world off itself for as long as possible. With tabloids sort of cozy with their subjects, you largely got news that whoever runs this poo poo wanted to be gotten. Social media's exposed a lot more than anyone could control, and now the open secret of Hollywood's disturbing underbelly is more open and less secret than ever.

It's probably natural to be disillusioned -- I dunno, I'd sort of lost much interest in Hollywood, movies have been less and less interesting over the years. It's almost certainly in need of a brushfire to clean it out and hopefully leave room for something new to come in.

That being said, I also agree that Tarantino shouldn't be alone if he's taken to the gallows for this. I'll be frank, I consider Tarantino a genius, an absolute master of his craft, and frankly I want him to keep making movies forever. However, you consider the story from Uma Thurman that his recklessness in pursuit of a shot left her with permemant back injury, and his connection to Weinstein as well, and I don't really see an outcome here that doesn't end with him stepping out of the public eye for a long time.

I agree with you that he's a genius, but as much as it sucks for us to be deprived of his future work, I really don't think this is the kind of thing he ever could or should come back from. He probably will, though.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 8, 2018

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

im going to take hollywood DOWN

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Cnut the Great posted:

You can't handwave away the fact that you enjoy movies made by a child rapist by invoking death of the author. Just accept the fact that you enjoy movies made by a child rapist. That's literally the reality of the situation: He's a child rapist, and he also made good movies. Mumbling some magic words doesn't change anything about the situation. It just allows you to avoid facing an unpleasant truth about the world we live in.

e:

I agree with you that he's a genius, but as much as it sucks for us to be deprived of his future work, I really don't think this is the kind of thing he ever could or should come back from. He probably will, though.

sounds like Polanski himself is doing just fine and is as popular as ever, so I'm not sure how someone would get in any real trouble for defending him

even aside from Hollywood, the US President is a self-avowed sexual predator, for fucks' sake, and I'm told that lol he's fine

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Yeah Artie has basically said Norm was gay numerous times. Or at least Bi, but being Bi is pretty gay. :boom:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

It was a different time is some shitbag argument anyway. Pretty sure it wasn't ever moral or okay to drug and rape teenagers. Maybe you could get away with it easier, sure. Doesn't mean that otherwise good moral people thought it was fine.

I think in 420BC that society was generally accepting of the practice. In Lacedemon.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Neurosis posted:

Sarkozy hand delivered a request from Polanski to be permitted back to the US to Obama l o l

Haha, that's pretty ballsy. I guess they misjudged the atmosphere back in the States because Polanski somehow has near universal support in Europe, plus the victim wanted nothing to do with any of this circus anymore (fair enough). But non-Hollywood people stateside seemed pretty stoked he might be extradited when they nabbed him in Switzerland a few years back.

I can't say I've ever heard an actual person use the Hollywood defense for him myself, though. Mostly he was given a pass because of the Manson connection. Manson is just one of those things, like the Iran hostage crisis, Jane Fonda, or the goddamn communists that American Boomers can't get over, and they have super weird hard-line opinions about still.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I think in 420BC that society was generally accepting of the practice. In Lacedemon.

To be a young man/boy in ancient greece

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dogmeat posted:

Haha, that's pretty ballsy. I guess they misjudged the atmosphere back in the States because Polanski somehow has near universal support in Europe, plus the victim wanted nothing to do with any of this circus anymore (fair enough). But non-Hollywood people stateside seemed pretty stoked he might be extradited when they nabbed him in Switzerland a few years back.

most french people agree, and support for his extradition has been consistently between 65 and 75% according to this: https://www.ft.com/content/7ad75dca-ae06-11de-87e7-00144feabdc0

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
As long as they wait to blacklist Tarantino until after he makes the next StarTrek film I’ll be happy.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

trump literally confessed to raping his ex-wife in court and is the president

lmao if you think justice is going to come to any of these fuckers before they die in their sleep, welcome to hell

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

whoopie goldbrug deffendid polanski on the view, once, and to me, multiple times, last night and this morning. it was very disappointing

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Meanwhile Kevin Spacery is hiding and waiting for it to all blow over

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

going to bookmark this thread and get back to yall when i get some rest

for now ill say we all know that QT has always been a foot guy and def a gives off a perv kinda vibe

that once scene in Death Proof when they leave the girl to gently caress/be raped by the red neck mechanic is loving weird but

at the same time i friggin love pulp fiction and inglorious basterds

actually i saw inglorious basterds in the theater and it was amazing and probably my favorite movie experience

any way

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I know imitating ancient Greece is a counter-intuitive idea to get rid of pederasts, but all actors, producers and directors should be drawn by lot from the entire population for each movie.

I bet we'd get some real avant-garde poo poo on the ol' silver screen.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Goon Project: Put Jack Nicholson outside in the snow like The Shining.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not ignoring it; we all know who made the work. The art still stands on its own though. I wouldn't work with him or fund his projects, but I'm not going to feel personally responsible for his crimes if I watch one of his movies, any more than I feel responsible for Jefferson raping his slaves because I read the Declaration of Independence. I guess everyone gets to decide where they personally want to draw the line though.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I ate a pedo sandwich from the gas station once but ended up throwing it up

btw George Lucas is a sex weird

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WatermelonGun posted:

Stern hasn’t been funny since Artie Lange stabbed himself and that’s a fact jack

Not true. Starting in January once or twice a week he has everybody from the back sit in the studio live for an hour or two (JD, Sal, Richard, Ronnie, Brent, etc.) and it's loving awesome.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

polanski is going to die of old age and literally 3 days later a bunch of stories about how he raped 6000 children will come out. same with woody allen

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
was Mel Gibson banned because he called that cop sugar tits , or was it the abusive voicemail to his girlfriend

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Deep state takes out one person at a time OP

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pafaj De Bundy posted:

was Mel Gibson banned because he called that cop sugar tits , or was it the abusive voicemail to his girlfriend

It was when he said Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

polanski is going to die of old age and literally 3 days later a bunch of stories about how he raped 6000 children will come out. same with woody allen

Those Oscar tribute segments are going to be really awkward.

e: Suppose they cut out all the rapists and pederasts on the "In Memoriam" segment this year. That should make a seven, eight minute production into about 90 seconds.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 8, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess we'll see. Tarantino is so huge, I don't know if the mainstream will reject him or not. He could disappear for a decade and probably avoid the worst of it, but we'll see how the culture is in ten years -- there may be 100 more websites to immediately republish every possible piece of bad press he's ever accumulated, thanks to comprehensive archiving of all known recorded data.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

It was when he said Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.

good god mel gibson did a lot of poo poo i didn't even know about

https://www.thedailybeast.com/hollywood-officially-pardons-mel-gibson-for-shame

beat his girlfriend while she held their baby?

no wonder he said it's hell being Mel

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

WatermelonGun posted:

Jimmy page also adopted and hosed a girl

Wasn't that Ted Nugent? Jimmy Page hosed (and didn't adopt?) a 13-year old girl (the same girl David Bowie would also gently caress whilst she was underage).

edit: all heroes are scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I guess we'll see. Tarantino is so huge, I don't know if the mainstream will reject him or not. He could disappear for a decade and probably avoid the worst of it, but we'll see how the culture is in ten years -- there may be 100 more websites to immediately republish every possible piece of bad press he's ever accumulated, thanks to comprehensive archiving of all known recorded data.

Didn't QT say he he was going to do just 10 films and retire from movies? The Manson film is either 8 or 9. Either way, they'll still welcome him in France.

• Locked thread