Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

i actually like the concept of black panther being just like a comic world based on all kind of crazy black people stuff. that's fuckin awesome but enough with the super hero movies

I'm at the legitimate point where I think my feeling is "Marvel, you keep on doing your thing until Infinity War pt 2 then we'll see. Everyone else, please loving stop. Just loving stop."

The Marvel stuff (aside from the previously Fox duds) is always at least entertaining and if you compare it to every single other major shared universe holy poo poo they remain so far ahead of the curve it's like a Model-T versus a jet powered drag car.

ED: Actually more accurately I might say everyone was in such a hurry to catch up they all blew their engines, in the analogy

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Looks like a fun movie I will see it OP

Thanks for rec! xo

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have not seen the movie and I find myself filled with Race Hate

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mind the walrus posted:

Thanks to the "magic metal" the spears do some cool poo poo. There's one moment during a car chase that is boss. She throws the spear through the rear window of a speeding car, through the windshield, lands on the street in front of the car, and she "activates" it so that it acts as a barrier which crushes the front half of said car and stops it.
That sounds incredibly pedestrian and unoriginal wtf

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

it a super hero movie for r-tards, op. what u xpect??

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hope that movie didn't turn you into an ethno-nationalist, OP.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Couldn't they just shoot the car instead of throwing spears at it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

It doesn't play as such, but yeah sure w/e.
lmfao this is a more accurate criticism than anything anyone has said in this thread yet. He does miss the point of the villain and some key lines that dismiss the idea of why "kill whitey take over" is a bad idea for everyone, but w/e it's meant to be a tempting ideology. If anything this movie is about the burden of being a "model minority" and having to not only be as good as the best of the rest of the class, but better in the hope of reach post-racial equality.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I vividly remember no
"better" != "good." It's like how 32F is warmer than 0F, but you wouldn't call either warm.

Crazyweasel posted:

Yo - quick question

is the music throughout the movie bumpin' like in the trailer?

I only have a Vizio tv with no sound system, so seeing a good movie in a theater is amplified if the music and sound f/x really utilize the sound system
It's mostly orchestral-style themes, some of which are good and some of which are bland, but all are distinctly afro-inspired. There are a few contemporary songs from The Weeknd and PSY, and the villain's theme uses that phenomenal baseline from that Run the Jewels song they used in the trailer. The bottom line-- yes it's pretty bumpin', but you're not going to want to go out and buy the soundtrack either.

I did see it in one of those Dolby theaters that isn't 3D but uses a really :krad: sound system. I would recommend that. The villain's theme sounded loving awesome with that level of bass.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Couldn't they just shoot the car instead of throwing spears at it
Part of the Disney-friendly toy schtick is that none of the Wakandans use traditional bullets and prefer melee weapons that have long-range options.

Like I get how loads of people are going to want the spear-throwing thing to be a big deal but tbh I don't think it plays as problematic in context. There's no way the filmmakers weren't aware of what they were doing, and the spears used feel at worst like the laziest workaround for a laser gun and at best like the reclamation of the stereotype.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I unsheathe my ebola war bongos

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I liked the parts where people from the fictional high tech African nation dunked on martin freeman.

also the part where black panther did a skateboard move with a car.

movie looked rad. all the costuming was real good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
is black panther a cool jive cat who ices honkys? id see that movie.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im black, didnt watch it, meteor man is out

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
but i also know nerds arent gonna dissect or whine a quarter as much when avengers come out because theres no black avengers so i guess i kinda support black panther but its still making a bunch of white people rich

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Huh twitter name magaexdee... wonder I just wonder what he went there for and what he was wearing and how he was acting.... hmmm....

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/wwwdotyoutube/status/964956824322625538

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Runaktla posted:

Huh twitter name magaexdee... wonder I just wonder what he went there for and what he was wearing and how he was acting.... hmmm....

holy poo poo

how can you be like this

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
How much of this movie was fight scenes that consist of the protagonists fighting off multitudes of generic CGI baddies? I need to know because I'm so tired of the 'hero vs thousands of CGI combatants' that I'm falling asleep during the fight scenes. Iron Man and War Machine vs the whole bunch of robots. Avengers vs Ultron clones. Guardians vs the gold pricks in their space fighter pods etc etc etc basically when these fights start I tune out until the sound effects stop.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://twitter.com/WHIT3IV3RS0N_/status/964359800602607616

Um.. I think I'm gonna wait til this movie is on netflix thanks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tortuga posted:

https://twitter.com/WHIT3IV3RS0N_/status/964359800602607616

Um.. I think I'm gonna wait til this movie is on netflix thanks

Lol pretty sure this is a shot from a Korean horror film.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I think it's walking dead

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol pretty sure this is a shot from a Korean horror film.

Yeah

That's the joke

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

FisheyStix posted:

I think it's walking dead

I was gonna go with that Korean fish monster film, but you're probably right.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

drjuggalo posted:

but i also know nerds arent gonna dissect or whine a quarter as much when avengers come out because theres no black avengers so i guess i kinda support black panther but its still making a bunch of white people rich
Point on the last bit. Even so there have been black Avengers... the uh.... ok the black "best friends" of Captain America and Iron Man. Yeah I love those characters in their own rights (Falcon is just cool) but there's no denying they started out as the black best friends and can never truly shake that. In the next Avengers they're going to visit Wakanda and Black Panther and most of the cast of this movie are going to help fight aliens though, so there is that I guess.

EvilJoven posted:

How much of this movie was fight scenes that consist of the protagonists fighting off multitudes of generic CGI baddies? I need to know because I'm so tired of the 'hero vs thousands of CGI combatants' that I'm falling asleep during the fight scenes. Iron Man and War Machine vs the whole bunch of robots. Avengers vs Ultron clones. Guardians vs the gold pricks in their space fighter pods etc etc etc basically when these fights start I tune out until the sound effects stop.
About 10% or so in the third act, but they're various tribes of Wakanda fighting :ssh:. It's better than your average Marvel movie but it was the only part where I tuned poo poo out because yeah I'm sick of that Power Rangers Putty Patrol poo poo too.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 18, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

*Chinese guy leans over towards girlfriend in movie theater 45 minutes into the film*
(In Chinese) "When are the superheroes going to show up?"

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

gently caress they beatin up stock photos now

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

curlys gold posted:

gently caress they beatin up stock photos now

Runaktla posted:

:psyduck:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
What's really hosed up is they made that guy go into work after getting beat up. I mean look at him, how can they expect him to pull Magnum or Blue Steel when all he has is Hamburger Face?

Dude deserves the week off, photographers are such assholes.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the letter k appears 522 times in the script

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

gary oldmans diary posted:

the letter k appears 522 times in the script

That's 174 sets of 3, Now if there were 496 sets you might be onto something.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'll just stay home and kick my own rear end thank you very much

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

weg posted:

What's really hosed up is they made that guy go into work after getting beat up. I mean look at him, how can they expect him to pull Magnum or Blue Steel when all he has is Hamburger Face?

Dude deserves the week off, photographers are such assholes.

both magnum and blue steel would have looked better if Ben Stiller had been punched in the face a few dozen times first so

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Man Ape had a nice house.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
i'll watch it when it's on TBS or something

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Runaktla posted:

I unironically welcome the return of victim blamingv

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It was a real fun movie but I think they went a bit too far with the advanced technology, past the point of absurdity.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

It was a real fun movie but I think they went a bit too far with the advanced technology, past the point of absurdity.

Yeah, that was my takeaway as well. Movie was a lot of fun and the characters were pretty well developed by the end, which is more and more of a rarity. But the tech in Wakanda is so advanced, it just raises so many questions on what is the way forward now that we've established this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is this one of those movies where white kids are going to be walking out and saying “nigga nigga nigga” to their friends? Or does it challenge middle American views about African ancestry and empowerment? Or is it just a black dude scratching people’s faces with his nails?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Is this one of those movies where white kids are going to be walking out and saying “nigga nigga nigga” to their friends? Or does it challenge middle American views about African ancestry and empowerment? Or is it just a black dude scratching people’s faces with his nails?

Surprisingly none of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I remember asking the exact same thing about Catwoman

• Locked thread