Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EugeneJ posted:

Is there like a traditionalist offshoot of Catholicism that ignores recent Catholic decrees

It's the one with all the pedo, drunken priests. You miss Father O'leary don't you my son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Pick posted:

This pope treats religion like a useless feel-good scam product like chiropracty, which imho can sell you some religion to dumb fucks easily swayed by movie trailers and etc, but for those of us who are actually catholic and actually believe, we know our religion is supposed to be our spiritual guidance for the enrichment of our souls not another fuckng hugbox

Not to derail here but the correct term is "Chiropractic," as in "I know a dude who studies Chiropractic and practices Chiropractic."

It doesn't make any goddamn sense and shits all over English suffix structure, and it should be called "Chiropracty" or "Chiropracticism" or something but it's not. But what can you expect from people who center their life around feel good scam bullshit. I mean other than claiming no-fairsies on hell it's not real anymore, that is.

A Fancy Hat posted:

For people bemoaning the lack of Hell - isn't nonexistence at least equally terrifying a prospect?

Like it's one thing to exist forever in torture. It's a whole different thing to no longer exist.

I'd say they're both lovely compared to an eternity just chilling and doing cool or interesting stuff on your own terms, but just not existing is a whole lot better than being tormented for eternity with no hope of escape or relief.

You were not existing for a pretty good long while before you were born after all.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 29, 2018

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
a bloo bloo my religion isn't otherizing people hard enough.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

The truth is they just moved Hell to Earth, and didn't tell anyone

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

EugeneJ posted:

Is there like a traditionalist offshoot of Catholicism that ignores recent Catholic decrees

Angry middle aged Catholics who post on facebook. A lot of "Not my Pope!" and "Why isn't he condemning all other religions to Hell any more???" floating around since he became Pope.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

This pope treats religion like a useless feel-good scam product like chiropracty, which imho can sell you some religion to dumb fucks easily swayed by movie trailers and etc, but for those of us who are actually catholic and actually believe, we know our religion is supposed to be our spiritual guidance for the enrichment of our souls not another fuckng hugbox

pope: repent or God will ERADICATE YOUR SOUL
catholic: what the gently caress is this pussy rear end poo poo

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pope wins accolades from people who arent Catholic, will never be Catholic, and will forgot about this in a day

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SickZip posted:

pope wins accolades from people who arent Catholic, will never be Catholic, and will forgot about this in a day

Lol yeah

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But it will get a lot of tweets

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Sending the majority of people to eternal torment is like the biggest contradiction to the 'benevolent god' idea. Frank is just telling some hard truths. Negative nellies need to shut the gently caress up.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Pick posted:

see you in ; hell, bithc

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

A Fancy Hat posted:

For people bemoaning the lack of Hell - isn't nonexistence at least equally terrifying a prospect?

Like it's one thing to exist forever in torture. It's a whole different thing to no longer exist.

You won't know, that's the point. I'm an atheist, believe me it's not a comfort to be one at all. Life has no loving meaning, really.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lifes meaning is to have lots of fun and hopefully die in a quick fun way

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

ive been dead since the beginning of time now its time to fukkin party cause im going back soon

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

:love: I want to go to the Church of Hemale.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

curlys gold posted:

ive been dead since the beginning of time now its time to fukkin party cause im going back soon

:wow:

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

CNA posted:

On Thursday the Holy See stated that a reported interview between Pope Francis and an Italian journalist, which claims the Pope denied the existence of hell, should not be considered an accurate depiction of Francis’ words, but the author’s own “reconstruction.”

A recent meeting between Pope Francis and Italian journalist Eugenio Scalfari, 93, was a “private meeting for the occasion of Easter, however without giving him any interview,” the March 29 communique stated.

“What is reported by the author in today’s article is the result of his reconstruction, in which the literal words pronounced by the Pope are not quoted. No quotation of the aforementioned article must therefore be considered as a faithful transcription of the words of the Holy Father.”

Apparently the guy who wrote the article does this all the time. He interviews people and then writes their answers in his own words, so maybe Hell still exists.

I thought everyone liked this Pope. I like him. He seems nice. But I'm also not Catholic, like that other poster said.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I am a former alter boy who now worships satan. I like this pope.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember when popes used to assassinate each other nonstop in the middle ages?

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

the name of my drag revue

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I used to fall asleep and forget to ring that stupid bell because I was up all night playing mortal kombat

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I have deep sympathy for all catholics who are spending like every night this week doing incredibly boring poo poo.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Benevolent new testament style god is all loving, and his followers are meant to see forgiveness and mercy as the primary virtues he embodied when manifesting on earth. But also he has set up an eternity of suffering and sick rear end medieval style torture for people who gently caress up.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I doubt the public will look favorably on the next Pope who reinstates Hell

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Hell is the loving boredom you endure as an altar boy doing the stations of the cross.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

A Fancy Hat posted:

I dunno dude that's basically the goal of you're a Buddhist!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Being a catholic is so loving boring I almost wished a priest would rape me.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

old beast lunatic posted:

Being a catholic is so loving boring I almost wished a priest would rape me.

Maybe that's the problem with the priests. They rape to break the tedium.

Use the tithe to buy them pinball machines or something IMO.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I used to fall asleep and forget to ring that stupid bell because I was up all night playing mortal kombat

did they let you sit down for that? during the stage where we hit the bell/chimes, we were kneeling on the sides of the alter facing inward, so we were in profile to the audience.

true embarrassing story of youth:

i used to be paralyzed with fear at getting a boner when we were kneeling like that since i was convinced that everyone would somehow be able to see my robes tenting and as a teenage boy i had next to no control over it. i basically spent that entire 10 minute phase of mass concentrating on the most horrific images id ever seen and would regularly gently caress up hitting the 3 chimes because i was thinking about pictures of the rwandan genocide (or whatever) too hard

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Fancy Hat posted:

not really no, I would take nonexistence over many possible existences on earth let alone going to hell

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

SickZip posted:

did they let you sit down for that?

I was actually kneeling. I somehow was so bored I managed to fall asleep while kneeling and not fall over and I forgot to ring my bell.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Pick posted:

heh. unlike every other civilization in history on this stupid gay earth, egyptians, hittites, mayans, greeks, iranians, chinese, algonquians etc., etc., each at one time or another with their own ancient and unimpeachable understanding of the universe, i know what's REALLY going on. everyone else is very foolish and superficial but i'm very smart and profound.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zane posted:

heh. unlike every other civilization in history on this stupid gay earth, egyptians, hittites, mayans, greeks, iranians, chinese, algonquians etc., etc., each at one time or another with their own ancient and unimpeachable understanding of the universe, i know what's REALLY going on. everyone else is very foolish and superficial but i'm very smart and profound.

Not to mention all the people who were members of the same religious denomination whose understanding evolved over its 2000-year history. They spent 1950 years being wrong about everything but they finally nailed it until this new guy came along and hosed it up.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Great, the atheists are here 😑

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Tetracube posted:

not really no, I would take nonexistence over many possible existences on earth let alone going to hell

nonexistence never bothered me in the slightest in all the years before 1984

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I have deep sympathy for all catholics who are spending like every night this week doing incredibly boring poo poo.

ty :h:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Maybe God actually is super chill and just wants us to treat everyone with respect and not be literal monsters to each other? And as long as you do this, you get to Heaven or reincarnated or turn into a space dolphin or whatever. But if you're an rear end in a top hat you just get deleted from existence - God would rather delete that poo poo than bother wasting his time punishing you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The pope is taking credit for destroying hell but it was actually the Doomguy who was responsible.

I am glad that he ripped and tore until it was done.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also had to give up kissing my cat on the mouth for Lent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I threaten my kids with Catholicism.

"Oh you want to complain do you!? Keep it up and I'll send you to grandma's house. She'll make you go to ash Wednesday, holy Thursday, good Friday and easter Sunday mass. You will know the true meaning of pain."

I'm sure there's some poo poo on saturday too I forget. Catholisim is loving child abuse even without the rape.

• Locked thread