Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Blue Train posted:

The poor enslaved zoo animals yea

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

okay, so is it basically that autism is diagnosed more in boys because the foundational research was done only on boys?
That and social biases that unintentionally make girls harder to spot early.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Probably the kid in my autism classroom who rips your hair out if you try to play with his toys.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

That and social biases that unintentionally make girls harder to spot early.
okay. that makes sense and is sort of what I suspected the reason for fewer girls diagnosed was, as I'm pretty sure I've met an equal proportion of men and women who I'd characterize as autistic or aspie, and personal experience-based anecdotal evidence is the best way of achieving a scientific understanding of are wonderous natural world

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The most autistic person I know walks around with his dick out if he isn't sternly corrected. He doesn't like it when people, even toddlers, don't wear shirts. He does have a thing for trains.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

This is because societal mores about girls being allowed to be more withdrawn, quiet, demure, and nerdy as children masques symptoms of sensory processing.

Girls who can function are usually forced to learn socialization cues much earlier than their male peers and not fretted over if they fail to thrive. This fools people conditioned to see autism as exclusively social retardation.

It really does suck because a lot of girls go undiagnosed and suffer immensely. It is better than it was. Not much, but the community is a lot more aware that it is an issue and needs to be addressed.

I get a feeling the rise of psychiatry and the decrease of working psychologists is to blame. They want to stuff people in boxes asap, even overlapping boxes that aren't supposed to make sense together, rather than get a full picture of what's going on. These 'doctors' make the laziest, dumbest diagnoses and think these shady rear end drugs are the answer to everything

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

okay, so is it basically that autism is diagnosed more in boys because the foundational research was done only on boys?

They haven't done studies on the parents/parenting styles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...and the pitch! posted:

The most autistic person I know walks around with his dick out if he isn't sternly corrected. He doesn't like it when people, even toddlers, don't wear shirts. He does have a thing for trains.

what do you have to like whack it down

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

No. I don't interact with him or his dick. I just know his parents.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

...and the pitch! posted:

Dude, not cool man. Not cool at all.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

i like that posted:

autism is a foolproof contraceptive

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

i like that posted:

yeah that is the other thing. parents will freak if you try to blame any of it on them but I haven't known any austisticky people that have come from normal, healthy homes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah that is the other thing. parents will freak if you try to blame any of it on them but I haven't known any austisticky people that have come from normal, healthy homes

hey !

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

i like that posted:

I get a feeling the rise of psychiatry and the decrease of working psychologists is to blame. They want to stuff people in boxes asap, even overlapping boxes that aren't supposed to make sense together, rather than get a full picture of what's going on. These 'doctors' make the laziest, dumbest diagnoses and think these shady rear end drugs are the answer to everything
I blame laziness and Aspergers.

Far too many people--professionals included--view Autism as a bi-polar spectrum of "high" and "low" when the truth is that it is a grouping of many symptoms in variable intensity. Y'know, a syndrome per the dictionary definition, and not a static set of common symptoms like say, Down Syndrome or Cerebral Palsy. That's why I wasn't diagnosed until much later in life-- I could interact, make eye contact, read social cues, shut up about my special interests, etc. My poo poo is much more related to sensory input and physical impairment.

And Aspergers... God gently caress that guy. He made a box around high-functioners that perpetuates idiotic notions of ASD to this day. And even with the DSM-V changes loads of people are still whiny, lazy assholes because ASD requires critical reasoning to assess now, instead of an easy in-group/out-group.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

That's nearly every family.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

actually. wait. I don't know that many people from "healthy" homes. Never mind

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sensory issues also happen with stress disorders. Just saying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i can't figure out if i'm actually mentally ill or i just took way too much acid yesterday

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I blame laziness and Aspergers.

Far too many people--professionals included--view Autism as a bi-polar spectrum of "high" and "low" when the truth is that it is a grouping of many symptoms in variable intensity. Y'know, a syndrome per the dictionary definition, and not a static set of common symptoms like say, Down Syndrome or Cerebral Palsy. That's why I wasn't diagnosed until much later in life-- I could interact, make eye contact, read social cues, shut up about my special interests, etc. My poo poo is much more related to sensory input and physical impairment.

Do you have epilepsy or have you had strokes or seizures? Have you ever read the early symptoms of Parkinson's ?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

i like that posted:

Do you have epilepsy or have you had strokes or seizures? Have you ever read the early symptoms of Parkinson's ?
I spent three days with my family at a state-of-the-art autism center at one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the US. We *all* took a battery of tests and interviews. I spent three hours going over the results with the psychologist a month later. I'm pretty loving sure I'm autistic.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

mind the walrus posted:

I spent three days with my family at a state-of-the-art autism center at one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the US. We *all* took a battery of tests and interviews. I spent three hours going over the results with the psychologist a month later. I'm pretty loving sure I'm autistic.

:agreed:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I spent three days with my family at a state-of-the-art autism center at one of the top psychiatry hospitals in the US. We *all* took a battery of tests and interviews.
what prompted this?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

a hole-y ghost posted:

what prompted this?

autism , probably

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

precision posted:

i can't figure out if i'm actually mentally ill or i just took way too much acid yesterday

Hi. I'm you and it's both

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I don't doubt you. I wanted to know if that's what you meant by your physical impediments or you were referring to something else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

what prompted this?
Lifelong struggle misattributed to comorbid depression led me to a psychiatrist who told me to look into it.

It's not like I wanted to be autistic. I started doing my homework and looking for evidence I wasn't autistic. Yet the deeper I dug the more questions autism answered as the roots of my struggles. SA was a big tip-off. Even then it took three years before it really processed emotionally, which sucked noodles.

The formal diagnosis was more for record-keeping than anything else... Like if I'm at a job or with a new doctor or dealing with people on dead gay forums, I can point to the fact that I did due dilligence with professionals and didn't armchair diagnose my poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

i like that posted:

I don't doubt you. I wanted to know if that's what you meant by your physical impediments or you were referring to something else.
Ah. My bad. It's easy to get testy.

It's mostly clumsiness, general weakness, easily overwhelmed by multiple people, and poor real-time social processing. Also impaired executive function, albeit not as bad as some.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

The formal diagnosis was more for record-keeping than anything else... Like if I'm at a job or with a new doctor or dealing with people on dead gay forums, I can point to the fact that I did due dilligence with professionals and didn't armchair diagnose my poo poo.
Do they let you get like a nice diploma on heavy weight archival paper that you can frame for your home office or what

mind the walrus posted:

It's mostly clumsiness, general weakness, easily overwhelmed by multiple people, and poor real-time social processing. Also impaired executive function, albeit not as bad as some.
weakness? like you have a hard time picking stuff up or you get tired or?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

a hole-y ghost posted:

Do they let you get like a nice diploma on heavy weight archival paper that you can frame for your home office or what

yeah but he can’t make eye contact with it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

let it mellow posted:

yeah but he can’t make eye contact with it
Buddy, I don't know where you're from that diplomas have eyes

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

a hole-y ghost posted:

Buddy, I don't know where you're from that diplomas have eyes

u can’t spell diploma without i motherfucker

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgHftsimpc4

this is my favorite one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

weakness? like you have a hard time picking stuff up or you get tired or?
An in-depth 20-page report on me with a respected Doctor's name and a respected facility on the header.

And weakness as in I have a low pain tolerance, low stamina, and easily fatigue especially given my frame.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hmmm im not physically weak, all else, and my pain tolerance is stupid high

superburger!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pick posted:

hmmm im not physically weak

yeah and im not gay

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

actually. wait. I don't know that many people from "healthy" homes. Never mind

well not here you don't

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t like sticking medical labels on people. I just call lovely people lovely people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick posted:

hmmm im not physically weak, all else, and my pain tolerance is stupid high

superburger!
Most autistic women I've met seem to be way tougher than their male counterparts... Well on the high-functioning end of things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
in college, another suspected burg and i would find ourselves walking down the hallway and if headed the same direction, would smash against one another in an attempt to dash the other person into the wall as we walked. it was good fun but in retrospect we bruised one another, a lot

• Locked thread