Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guri
Jun 14, 2001
Last year I was passing off fennel fronds, pollen, flowers, and seeds to everyone around me when the drat things started towering over me. I dug that whole mess up and now have just a bit tucked away at a more contained part of the garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spinster posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm growing stuff in the carpet in the back of my car under the seats, is there a specific herb you recommend that doesn't get too tall or need much light?

Have you thought about growing mushrooms? :lol:

guri posted:

Last year I was passing off fennel fronds, pollen, flowers, and seeds to everyone around me when the drat things started towering over me. I dug that whole mess up and now have just a bit tucked away at a more contained part of the garden.

Please tell me you used the bulb!?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i have some fennel seeds how long does that take to grow. does it bolt in hot weather? i've never grown it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hell Yeah posted:

i have some fennel seeds how long does that take to grow. does it bolt in hot weather? i've never grown it.

Up to 100 days to harvest. Not sure about bolting though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My starts:

Two rows of katinka cherry tomatoes on the left, two rows of lillian's yellow heirloom, and a row of pink accordian. They are putting on their first adult leaves and out to be ready to hit the ground in two weeks

Can't really see them in there but the pots furthest from the camera are celery. They are tiny little starts. One melon, arikara watermelon to be exact. Then it's hungarian sweet peppers which are just getting their first little adult leaves and finally, closest to the camera early bird tomatoes.

Sometime today I'll get a couple pictures of my gardening space.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also planted some strange seeds that i found, got this:

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Mine isn't the kind that forms bulbs but I still have used everything down to the stalk.

The one that I dug up I planted two years ago. It has been buried under snow then starts taking off in spring time, growing to over six feet high and flowering all over the place. Then I would cut it back and the process would repeat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

Also planted some strange seeds that i found, got this:

the cat came back the very next year
the cat came be, i thought it was an annual
the cat came back, just like lamiaceae

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I have a patch of dirt roughly 5 foot by 3 foot. The dirt has dead plants in it from when I tried to beautify the patch. The dirt is dry as poo poo and hard. I will try to provide a picture when I get home.

First question: what would I buy from Home Depot to get that patch of grass ready for stuff like herbs or vegetables?

Second: I have an orange tree (small) about 2 ft tall. It’s been the same size for like 3 years. It won’t grow or do anything with itself. What’s wrong? I don’t really water a lot and I live in drought Los Angeles.

Oh and the neighbor has cats and they likely will poo poo on my plants. What can I do?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Piggy Smalls posted:

I have a patch of dirt roughly 5 foot by 3 foot. The dirt has dead plants in it from when I tried to beautify the patch. The dirt is dry as poo poo and hard. I will try to provide a picture when I get home.

First question: what would I buy from Home Depot to get that patch of grass ready for stuff like herbs or vegetables?

Second: I have an orange tree (small) about 2 ft tall. It’s been the same size for like 3 years. It won’t grow or do anything with itself. What’s wrong? I don’t really water a lot and I live in drought Los Angeles.

Home depot is a toughy but look for some kind of organic fertalizer. That could be compost or manure. Manure has always worked for me in the past. Cover the plot with the poop'n'stuff and cultivate it together (dig it all up and mix it) pull the now exposed and easy to grab weeds. Mulch the sweet gently caress out of it. Mulch should be at least a couple of inches deep all the way up to four inches deep. Let it sit for a week or two so the nitrogen won't hurt your baby plants. Boom, done.

I know nothing about citrus, sorry. I live in a place where it doesn't really grow.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cultivation can be done with all kinds of tools but this is where the hoe is applicable.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

do what I do: leave the soil for native plants and use vats+trays for exotics.
That sounds it uses a lot of stuff I don't have. And with creatures, sounds like it also involves more stuff that has to be looked after - I'm pretty bad at looking after things. I think it's hydroponic if it's the same thing but you add the nutrients? That sounds more suited to me, but also still kind of sounds like more work than dirt, and requires knowing something about what nutrients your plant likes, which I don't and have had a hard time finding. I couldn't even find how much water it likes, and found conflicting information about salt, so guessing the right nutrient mix sounds pretty out of reach.

quote:

Where did you get those seeds? Because I've wanted to specifically get those so I could test them as a nutrient export in my aquarium for a long time now.
They're expensive on a per-seed basis, here.

I also grew a moringa in Florida (I'm not in Florida now) which grew to about 5 feet tall and then got swarmed by spider mites and utterly destroyed. Everything I tried to grow in Florida grew really fast then turned to mold and spider mites before it was really harvest-ready.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Home depot is a toughy but look for some kind of organic fertalizer. That could be compost or manure. Manure has always worked for me in the past. Cover the plot with the poop'n'stuff and cultivate it together (dig it all up and mix it) pull the now exposed and easy to grab weeds. Mulch the sweet gently caress out of it. Mulch should be at least a couple of inches deep all the way up to four inches deep. Let it sit for a week or two so the nitrogen won't hurt your baby plants. Boom, done.

I know nothing about citrus, sorry. I live in a place where it doesn't really grow.

Gonna sound stupid but is mulch sold? What is it? I’m a city folk

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Piggy Smalls posted:

Gonna sound stupid but is mulch sold? What is it? I’m a city folk

Mulch is sold and it can take a ton of different forms. I personally prefer bark chip because it makes my garden look nice but you can use grass clippings, straw, and even some fabrics.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you're dead set on going to the depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Landscaping-Mulch/N-5yc1vZbx4a

But consider looking at nurseries. They usually have better selections of organic fertilizers and a lot of times have staff that have a fair amount of knowledge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't miss gardening, but i miss having a garden.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Piggy Smalls posted:

Oh and the neighbor has cats and they likely will poo poo on my plants. What can I do?

Try to water it regularly during the hot months. If the soil lacks moisture you'll know it needs watering.
If in doubt, use something to dig a small hole and check the moisture at a depth of like a few centimeters (3-5).
Additionally, you can be checking its leaves during the afternoon. If they look wrinkled/withered, it needs water.

After a while you'll get the hang of it and you'll know when it needs watering without getting into too much trouble.
So, if this fixes it, fine. If not, it's probably soil related and not easy to pinpoint. Still, don't be too concerned about the size.
If the amount and color of the leaves seem fine and it produces nice oranges, it's fine.

Lastly, about the cat poo, should be no problem, free fertilizer. Unless you have panthers or poo poo where you live :P

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
RE: cat poo

It's really not the best fertilizer. It has some chemical content that is no bueno if the cat eats commercial food and it can carry some bacterias that could (however unlikely) make you kinda sick. I would suggest picking it up with a shovel and throwing it into your neighbors field like I do.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
To be fair though any poo you use should be mixed or sit for a while to cure anyway.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes you have to uproot a living tree -- to see that the roots want in on your action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2yBgIAxYs

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Spinster posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm growing stuff in the carpet in the back of my car under the seats, is there a specific herb you recommend that doesn't get too tall or need much light?
You can google low light herbs for a list but I can't think of any that do well in near total darkness.

Or you could try a peace lily or snake plant instead (you know, office type plants). Keep them trimmed so they're short enough. They'll filter your car air but they're also poisonous so don't let whatever else lives in your car eat them.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lacey posted:

You can google low light herbs for a list but I can't think of any that do well in near total darkness.

Or you could try a peace lily or snake plant instead (you know, office type plants). Keep them trimmed so they're short enough. They'll filter your car air but they're also poisonous so don't let whatever else lives in your car eat them.

:haw:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

If you're dead set on going to the depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Landscaping-Mulch/N-5yc1vZbx4a

But consider looking at nurseries. They usually have better selections of organic fertilizers and a lot of times have staff that have a fair amount of knowledge.

compost and organic fertilizer are two different things. there's organic fertilizers that are like little rocks that you top dress or dig in and are like 2-2-1. but composted manure or humus are just compost without being fertilizer imo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

he def would not want to accidentally get the small bag of fertilizer if he is just trying to ammend a garden bed that may give too much fertilizer somehow and it wouldn't improve the texture and moisture retention of the soil. otherwise your recommendations are good.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hell Yeah posted:

he def would not want to accidentally get the small bag of fertilizer if he is just trying to ammend a garden bed that may give too much fertilizer somehow and it wouldn't improve the texture and moisture retention of the soil. otherwise your recommendations are good.

Good point!

I tend to use the terms interchangeably since I never really technically use "fertilizer."

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I just got some catnip and cat grass to grow for my cats! :D

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

To be fair though any poo you use should be mixed or sit for a while to cure anyway.

Out of context, this is wrong on so many levels...

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

jerk irl posted:

Out of context, this is wrong on so many levels...
I just found 10 kg buckets of bone and blood meal in a shed :woop:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Blueberries- still very green but coming along nicely
Strawberries- flowers are a-go
Various herbs on the windowsill- doin okay, gonna move you guys out soon
Potted chocolate mints- very happy in their spot so far
Pumpkin seeds that overwintered outside- happy little beginning vines

Actual real garden- I spent most of April in a food poisoning daze or dragging myself out of it so yeah fuckall has been done with it. This week is planting time.

Still debating where I'm putting some things but I have a decent idea of how I want to do things. I also need to seed my entire pasture either Very Right Now or this september/october and I don't know which it's going to be.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
I am quite liberal with my garden.

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I do not believe in oppressing the free plants that live there.
It's beyond me how some people are ok with uprooting them from their home and then
growing other ones into slavery, all for their personal gain. That's just horrible.

Not to mention committing pesticide and/or other terrible crimes that are usually associated
with gardening. I will mention though that the act of shoveling of cat poo poo was recommended itt.
If this is not an indication of how wrong gardening is, I don't know what is...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hell Yeah posted:

i really don't think an aquaponics/hydroponics setup is an appropriate suggestion for someoen who seems like a beginner.

That's the perfect plant for it. Use two plastic flower pots and the smallest aquarium pump. It's weird to get used to but also easier, you can't forget to water the plant, just make sure the bottom pot doesn't run dry

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I just got some catnip and cat grass to grow for my cats! :D

Only the highest quality :catdrugs:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

roomforthetuna posted:

That sounds it uses a lot of stuff I don't have. And with creatures, sounds like it also involves more stuff that has to be looked after - I'm pretty bad at looking after things. I think it's hydroponic if it's the same thing but you add the nutrients? That sounds more suited to me, but also still kind of sounds like more work than dirt, and requires knowing something about what nutrients your plant likes, which I don't and have had a hard time finding. I couldn't even find how much water it likes, and found conflicting information about salt, so guessing the right nutrient mix sounds pretty out of reach.

They're expensive on a per-seed basis, here.

I also grew a moringa in Florida (I'm not in Florida now) which grew to about 5 feet tall and then got swarmed by spider mites and utterly destroyed. Everything I tried to grow in Florida grew really fast then turned to mold and spider mites before it was really harvest-ready.

It's not as hard as it might seem, you're basically making a thing that floods the plant roots and then automatically flushes like a toilet so the roots don't rot. I had one full of snails and shrimps I would feed random kitchen scraps to.

How many seeds you got? instead of that bullshit you could do the ol scientific method and have a set of little pots with various amounts of sand mixed with soil. Maybe pearlite.

I think these will grow as long as you don't completely flood the roots. Also they probably won't have giant root systems but maybe use a clear plastic container and you can see if the roots grew too powerful and you needed a bigger container

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a decent number of containers on my balcony growing plants. This year my big plant project is to grow a hop vine. Aiming to do something like this:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

samphire seems pretty complex to grow.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

I have a decent number of containers on my balcony growing plants. This year my big plant project is to grow a hop vine. Aiming to do something like this:

That looks super cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar with nasturtiums although I don't think they fill in the whole area as well

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgnlf6-VXTs

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Just planted some jalapeño plants. I worry that I might’ve twisted the main stem a bit and cut it off a bit from the roots. Is it ok if the stem gets damaged a bit?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Raere posted:

Just planted some jalapeño plants. I worry that I might’ve twisted the main stem a bit and cut it off a bit from the roots. Is it ok if the stem gets damaged a bit?

Most of the time, yeah.

I mean, I've had tomatoes get their entire stalk eaten by cutworms and magically come back later in the season. As long as it isn't too cold, plants are pretty tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Hi I just have a small Japanese Maple I grow in a pot can I join the garden goon gang.

• Locked thread