Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
for anyone actually interested in the ways the moral compasses of progressives and conservatives differ (and libertarians!), i strongly recommend jonathan haidt's book The Righteous Mind. haidt's a centrist (formerly centre-left but studying political polarisation and differing moral views led him to the conclusion the two sides of politics both serve a function), with no ideological axe to grind, and the whole thing is much more descriptive than evaluative.

broadly, he argues conservatives have a few moral bases progressives only have in very weak amounts - although that doesn't mean conservatives are 'better', since the moral bases progressives lack are arguably dubious - eg one of them is 'sanctity/purity', which is probably traceable to how easy it was for people to get sick back in the day. although research since the book came out suggests at least some progressives have the purity moral sense, too (which is why you get things like the organic movement), though it might not be as common.

the different moral bases result in people from the different sides of politics arguing past each other on moral issues. he writes well, and it's a much more entertaining read than going through the underlying academic research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol goons were unironically calling people 'nazis' for saying "hey maybe rioting in the streets isnt good" or "maybe attacking people isnt good" and then they turn right around and go "why do people think we call everyone nazis :qq:"

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rakosi posted:

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree. High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree's apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town, to play around the racist tree.

"Let Sam have an apple," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist tree is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

"Can I offer you some apples?" asked the tree eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

Literally the opposite has happened though. Progressives being dicks to people made them hate progressive beliefs even more which in turn caused them to double-down on their right-wing beliefs. Hell it is working in the opposite direction on this very forums. The left-wing idiots are becoming more left wing and more idiotic in response to a rise in right-wing idiotry.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Dennis System posted:

You're right. I don't know why I just said it happens on twitter. It happens all over the internet and also in the mainstream media. Frequently.

Of course it does, sweety. You aren't racist, you hate everyone equally, right?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Literally the opposite has happened though. Progressives being dicks to people made them hate progressive beliefs even more which in turn caused them to double-down on their right-wing beliefs. Hell it is working in the opposite direction on this very forums. The left-wing idiots are becoming more left wing and more idiotic in response to a rise in right-wing idiotry.

that dumb copy/pasted thing doesn't take into account the internet, no.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rakosi posted:

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree. High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree's apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town, to play around the racist tree.

"Let Sam have an apple," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist tree is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

"Can I offer you some apples?" asked the tree eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

This story assumes a human being would turn down free food.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
never tire of reminding people that you could get called a nazi by some completely straight faced retard for any of the following reasons:

saying terrorism is bad
saying you dont like islam
saying you dont like hillary clinton
saying you dont like uncontrolled immigration
saying you voted for bernie sanders
saying that you thought al franken was a creep

and then, despite keeping this up for months on end you still get the occasional goon crying out for group affirmation "why do nazis not like being called nazis" as if that was all it ever was and not just a convenient slur to shut up people you didnt like

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

your friend a dog posted:

lol goons were unironically calling people 'nazis' for saying "hey maybe rioting in the streets isnt good" or "maybe attacking people isnt good" and then they turn right around and go "why do people think we call everyone nazis :qq:"

Physically attacking literal armband wearing Nazis is extremely good and should be encouraged. This is literally the coldest/non-hot take possible.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
in shorter words, yes, calling people nazis and racist will make them nazis and racist so long as your definition of those words remains the something awful definition, eg 'anyone left of stalin'

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chinatown posted:

Physically attacking literal armband wearing Nazis is extremely good and should be encouraged.

agreed but when it degenerates into bashing random people in the head with bikelocks and setting peoples cars on fire maybe thats... bad...?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

agreed but when it degenerates into bashing random people in the head with bikelocks and setting peoples cars on fire maybe thats... bad...?

agreed unless its police cars

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Who What Now posted:

Of course it does, sweety. You aren't racist, you hate everyone equally, right?

This video from about 37:11 to 37:53 pretty much sums it up.

https://bloggingheads.tv/videos/52779?in=00:01

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chinatown posted:

agreed unless its police cars

we have an accord

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

SJWs call almost everyone a nazi, from Joe Rogan to Christina Hoff Sommers. Like 70% of the country is a nazi to them. (And then they make threads about how they want to kill nazis, i.e. 70% of the country.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

never tire of reminding people that you could get called a nazi by some completely straight faced retard for any of the following reasons:

saying terrorism is bad
saying you dont like islam
saying you dont like hillary clinton
saying you dont like uncontrolled immigration
saying you voted for bernie sanders
saying that you thought al franken was a creep

and then, despite keeping this up for months on end you still get the occasional goon crying out for group affirmation "why do nazis not like being called nazis" as if that was all it ever was and not just a convenient slur to shut up people you didnt like
It's almost as if the actual common factor is "someone to the left of Jefferson Davis spoke" - and you can just stop there. That's the actual sin. All the rest is commentary.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

It's almost as if the actual common factor is "someone to the left of Jefferson Davis spoke" - and you can just stop there. That's the actual sin. All the rest is commentary.

what does that even mean beyond you trying to snidely insinuate everyone who disagrees with you is a cross burning kkk?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

SJWs call almost everyone a nazi, from Joe Rogan to Christina Hoff Sommers. Like 70% of the country is a nazi to them. (And then they make threads about how they want to kill nazis, i.e. 70% of the country.)

SJWs should read some Marx and get into leftist media like Cumtown instead of caring a lot about a time Louis CK said the n word 20 years ago imo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
woodrow wilson, one of the major founding forces of american progressivism, was a huge supporter of eugenics and the kkk

checkmake liberals :smugdog:

(i am joking in that those particular views don't find their way into modern leftism though a lot of other wilsonian stuff does.)

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Look at this lil bitch meekly insisting his bullshit link to some internet blog will exonerate every c.diff populated and racist post hes made

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would edit but it deserves a separate post to highlight, specifically that he truely thought someone alive was going to willingly be redirected to a site called "blogginheads" for a mind blowing experience that would shatter their entire lifes outlook, that is really sometji ng he thought was going to happen

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Neurosis posted:

(i am joking in that those particular views don't find their way into modern leftism though a lot of other wilsonian stuff does.)
what are some wilsonian things that found their way into modern leftism?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Look at this lil bitch meekly insisting his bullshit link to some internet blog will exonerate every c.diff populated and racist post hes made

Nice meltdown. I don't even know what c. diff means.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Tired of all these far left atifa SJWs saying that Hillary is woke bae

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
its not really surprising how much the internet like daenerys. theres just something about a woman commanding firey, unstoppable death from the sky against people who oppose her that really triggers that primal dnc instinct

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nice meltdown. I don't even know what c. diff means.
no poo poo buddy, with being borderline retarded comes an infinite fractal universes worth of poo poo you dont know

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I would edit but it deserves a separate post to highlight, specifically that he truely thought someone alive was going to willingly be redirected to a site called "blogginheads" for a mind blowing experience that would shatter their entire lifes outlook, that is really sometji ng he thought was going to happen

Dude, bloggingheads is awesome and is a podcast everyone should listen to. (Although it features a wide variety of hosts and guests and not all of them are good.) The reason I linked to that specific episode is because one of the hosts does a hilarious impression of a white liberal reading Ta-Nehisi Coates and flagellating themselves. All of the podcasts those two guys do about race are good though, and should be listened to.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Amateur Saboteur posted:

no poo poo buddy, with being borderline retarded comes an infinite fractal universes worth of poo poo you dont know

Nice double meltdown.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
wow this thread got real bad real fast.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Punching Nazis is a bitch rear end half measure, typical of the whiny pussies on the far left. You don't punch Nazis, you carpet bomb Nazis.

Dresden was extremely cool and good and Bomber Harris was the second coming of General Sherman, except somehow even cooler.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

jazzyhattrick posted:

Punching Nazis is a bitch rear end half measure, typical of the whiny pussies on the far left. You don't punch Nazis, you carpet bomb Nazis.

Dresden was extremely cool and good and Bomber Harris was the second coming of General Sherman, except somehow even cooler.

A book I read 1/3rd of in highschool taught me that carpet bombing Dresden was wrong because of aliens or some poo poo, idk

The teacher said it was absurdist but the humor in it was very unlike my favorite absurdist literature, Family Guy

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

feeding off the purestrain fear in this post to recharge my Passion Pool & give strength to my undead ghostly powers

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cubone posted:

what are some wilsonian things that found their way into modern leftism?

expansion of the role of the state, belief in technocratic decision-making by government experts, distrust of corporate power, progressive income taxation, support for women's rights, probably other stuff i can't remember

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's a free speech hustle from people who are building brands on the discourse of being 'silenced' or something it's pretty dumb

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
to actually answer the bad faith question "why aren't progressives nicer to the alt right" it's because being nice doesn't work. we've seen what being nice to you did in the past, and now things need to change.

but actually actually it's because the question is obvious bullshit, targeted to try drawing power away from effective street-level protests. you want us nicer cuz this poo poo gets results.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who cares about all of this stupid bullshit. give up on the politics, you are a tiny ant and have no influence on any of it. just let it go and live as best a life as you can manage

going on and on about Trump and Hillary and woke sjws and nazis and everything is pointless. go to the library and read a book, make a new friend, swim at the beach, or even jack off. any of these would be more furitful than screaming into the void of online politics.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

but actually actually it's because the question is obvious bullshit, targeted to try drawing power away from effective street-level protests. you want us nicer cuz this poo poo gets results.

look at this wicked empirical evidence [posts what looks like a precis of a guy's autoethnography on his experiences in the hardcore punk scene]

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I love the game where CHUDs keep moving the goalpost for what constitutes a reliable source when they can really just get hosed instead

ohhh, wait, sorry, incels. right.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rutibex posted:

who cares about all of this stupid bullshit. give up on the politics, you are a tiny ant and have no influence on any of it. just let it go and live as best a life as you can manage

going on and on about Trump and Hillary and woke sjws and nazis and everything is pointless. go to the library and read a book, make a new friend, swim at the beach, or even jack off. any of these would be more furitful than screaming into the void of online politics.
so what precisely are you doing you cock swallowing hypocrit?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Amateur Saboteur posted:

so what precisely are you doing you cock swallowing hypocrit?
:negative:
your right i should stop bumping this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if conservatives want to win the gay vote they should swallow cocks to own the libs. get gangbanged on your podcast to show the progressive trolls that youre woker than them. raise a gay baby and never once force anyone to make it a cake, because the biggest prostate orgasm of them all. . . why, that's the Free Market, friend, and it's gonna gently caress your rear end till you die of cummies.

• Locked thread