Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for the big lore writeup Chimera! Didn't realise there was that many water mons. I should probably try out some of the older games some time.

It's currently the summer festival in World, so hopefully I can show off a couple of event quests that we qualify for. The rest will have to wait until we're further into the game, sadly. At least I can show off the fireworks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Not a problem, I should also mention that the Tech Chief, the old Wyverian hanging out in the Tradeyard alongside Provisions Manager and Analytics Director that you can talk to in order to get bounties and investigations, is stated to have laid the groundwork for the development of the classless armor though said development wasn't easy according to the Second Fleet Master.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 7: Flying Sparks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpRUcpeAJl8

We help our local botanist by fighting a flying electric snake-squirrel-dog and start looking for the local felyne tribes.

Concept art: Tobi-Kadachi

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you want to dress up and do it nearly universally well in this game, play a dude. I''ve got an endgame couple I can run comparisons of outfits with and the difference is so staggering I'm happy I made an old guy for a first character.

Love zap-dog but I hope we get cat based monsters added soon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, whilst some female outfits are more stylish than male ones in my opinion (Tobi is one of them), there's a bad case of bikini/rear end plate for a few of them when the male version just looks badass. A good example of this is next episode :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I'm impressed they resisted stuffing Handler into an outright bikini for the summer event.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I'm impressed they resisted stuffing Handler into an outright bikini for the summer event.

The Handler actually has a few outfits you can buy in the virtual store of whatever version you're playing including one based on Sophia AKA the Guildmarm, a chef, Chun Li, the Handler's Spring Blossom outfit which makes her look like a bee, and finally the Summer Twilight outfit we saw in video. The last two are temporally usable during their respective events but become permanently usable if you've purchased them, even after the event has ended.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
the kirin set's pretty great you guys

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 8: Stumble in the Jungle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3lOJqPGO3Y

We fight Anjanath, a big fire-breathing vulture T-rex. I narrate whilst highly sleep deprived. Hijinks ensure.

Concept art: Anjanath

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno, looks like a pretty generic dinosaur to me. Not bad, I guess, but from an artistic view just looks like a filler enemy to me.

On the other hand, I think i found the real life inspiration for this series' palicos.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_paxwk7agv71w5pr9j.mp4

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's definitely vulture-ier than your average T-rex. The nose protrusion and the sailfins are pretty cool adaptations. I didn't mention this in the video because I never bother hiding but he can sniff you out with his big nose even if you're hiding in a bush out of eyeshot :v:

Edit: next update may take a bit, Behemoth just came out :v:

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 2, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you set up more environmental traps the same way you can set up more campsites? That seems like something that could happen.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Glazius posted:

Can you set up more environmental traps the same way you can set up more campsites? That seems like something that could happen.

No, whatever environmental traps the areas have is what they will always have.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really love the concept art, its so good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The FFXIV side of the MHW X FFXIV collab has just come out today, so I'm going to try and get a bonus video done this weekend. It'll be fun to compare and contrast Rathalos once I actually get around to fighting him in World :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 9: The Mountain That Walks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nSTrcJuG4s

This episode I'm joined by Chimera GUI as we fight the very first monster we ran into in the New World: Zorah Magdaros. It is not the most exciting gameplay, but I've supplemented it with some charge blade at the end to keep things exciting.

Concept art: Zorah Magdaros

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
A moving volcano range huh...

Multi-shot cannons though, are definitely -the- thing to use.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 13, 2018

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Shin Godzilla must have made them tweak Zorah here and there. They want it, we want it, MHW feat. Toho..

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My own dream crossover is with Pokémon.

I just want to hunt a Lugia dammit. :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 10: Queen of the Skies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ieQGxblTnU

I hope you guys like Rathian, because we fight her twice and run into her once this episode! As per usual I fight her with hunting horn, we do an egg-siting egg quest, and I show off Light Bowgun in pretty spectacular fashion, if I dare say. One important bowgun command that I forgot to mention during the video that people keep being surprised is a thing: using Triangle to draw your bowgun forces a reload if the clip is not full. Use R2 to draw if you don't want to reload. This has been your regular goon PSA.

Concept art: Rathian

Surprisingly little actual concept art of her, whether it's from World or other games. Best I could find was this armour art from Freedom Unite 2 (top right):

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Triangle to draw your bowgun forces a reload if the clip is not full. Use R2 to draw if you don't want to reload
oh for the love of, TIL :haw:

Rath* poison claws VS poison tail
TIL :psyduck:

- 450 hours of MHW

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Man, why'd you have to make a bowgun look fun? I'm already hopping around between weapons like an especially methed up monkey! :argh:

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
The Rathian can still determine that the egg has been taken even if you use the Ghillie mantle, but she will just fly around beside you in confusion. And I think the poison flip attack gets me every time...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hehe, I get nabbed by the flip a lot when meleeing too.

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Triangle to draw your bowgun forces a reload if the clip is not full. Use R2 to draw if you don't want to reload
oh for the love of, TIL :haw:

Rath* poison claws VS poison tail
TIL :psyduck:

- 450 hours of MHW

Yeah the bowgun draw took me quite a while to figure out. Really changes things once you do though, especially for the slower ammos.

The rath poison fact was also pretty fun. Makes sense too, considering that if you chop off the tail Rathian can't poison anymore but Rathalos still can.

ShootaBoy posted:

Man, why'd you have to make a bowgun look fun? I'm already hopping around between weapons like an especially methed up monkey! :argh:

Do it! I'm always giving folks bowgun advice in the MH goon discord, and I think I've spent a good 70% of my MHW gameplay time with HBG or LBG.

Smartaleck
Oct 17, 2012
In my experience the fireballs will sputter out when the Rath is exhausted instead of the head just being broken.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sorry about the delay for the next episode. Technical difficulties keep eating up different bits of the recording when I have time to actually work on the episode. I'll hopefully have it out tomorrow though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 11: Flash in the Pan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXckhuhMtE

In this episode we get our first taste of the Coral Highlands and run into a cool monster with a flashlight attached to his head.

Concept art: Tzitzi-ya-ku

Looks like his design didn't change much during the design process.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Tzitzi really is the broest raptor. He quite literally saved my life from a monster we'll meet later with an extremely well timed flash. Always feel a bit bad killing him after that time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The first time I fought Tzitzi, I thought I might be able to ignore their flash by turning my back on it. Down to how big a deal was made about the combat depth in Monster Hunter.

"I bet there's more to this than a stock cone attack. If I'm not looking at the light, it can't blind me!" :pseudo:

It would have been nice if that worked :downs:. At least traditional "Just walk around the cone" is as easy ever with how generous the lead up is, or popping them in the face with ammo they drop. Along with the pleasant surprise that looking directly at the light won't stun you if block with a shield held at chest height.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 9, 2018

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
It sure would be awful if there was a monster that had that flash but all around it instead of in a cone. Yep, that would be really annoying.

Gypceros intensifies

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You're thinking of Gobul, a Leviathan from generation three:

It's exclusive to Tri and 3U do to it being dependent on underwater combat which hasn't been in any other games since those two sadly.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Whoever you had on video 9 needs to turn their drat mic down because they were clipping all over the place, the audio engineer in me was screaming at the screen a lot. Yeah I'm a bit behind but I just got to the Zorah fight and had a really bad time, any help is appreciated.
PS: Heavy Bowgun is a really bad choice for this entire thing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That was me, sorry about that. I haven't done much audio commentary so I don't have a lot of experience with my audio settings.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

Whoever you had on video 9 needs to turn their drat mic down because they were clipping all over the place, the audio engineer in me was screaming at the screen a lot. Yeah I'm a bit behind but I just got to the Zorah fight and had a really bad time, any help is appreciated.
PS: Heavy Bowgun is a really bad choice for this entire thing.

Yeah I did my best, but I'd hardly call myself an audio engineer in any capacity really. I just fiddle around on audacity a lot :v:

I did HBG for the entirety of my main character's playthrough. I'd say the only bad weapon for a newbie is charge blade and that'll go away after some experimentation and guide-watching.

Section Z posted:

The first time I fought Tzitzi, I thought I might be able to ignore their flash by turning my back on it. Down to how big a deal was made about the combat depth in Monster Hunter.

"I bet there's more to this than a stock cone attack. If I'm not looking at the light, it can't blind me!" :pseudo:

It would have been nice if that worked :downs:. At least traditional "Just walk around the cone" is as easy ever with how generous the lead up is, or popping them in the face with ammo they drop. Along with the pleasant surprise that looking directly at the light won't stun you if block with a shield held at chest height.

I have the feeling that the blindsider skill on the tzitzi helm lets you pull off that bullshit too. Luckily our next monster flies so I'll be able to put it to the test.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 10, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are you using Discord for guests? It has really crap audio encoding for some reason and always sounds like garbo.

Smartaleck
Oct 17, 2012
One very useful tip about Gunlance that I didn't find out until end game is that you can free aim your Wyvernfire by holding L2 (or your control equivalent) during the charge. This allows you to do stuff like aim up to hit a flying monster, or more accurately aim so as to avoid your friends so they don't yell at you when you send them flying.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sending people flying is part of the joy of multiplayer though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

When I show off hammer I'm gonna make sure to send my cat to space.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This thread inspired me to buy MHW for myself on PC.

Thanks thread.

Not sure what weapon I want to go with though.

Edit: for reference I only just finished episode 4

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Personally, I recommend sitting down and just going after Great Jagras once or twice with each weapon. He's not particularly hard, and it'll let you get a real feel for which weapons you like or don't like while on an actual hunt, and not just whacking a pole.

• Locked thread