Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Amulius: Man, we should get out here.The mountain's all exploding and poo poo
Romulous, [masturbating furiously]: This is more important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
the masturbating pomepeiian owns

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
how long do you think he was edging to time the blastwave right

just looking out his window, angrily squeezing his shaft

"c'mon fucker I ain't got all day"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How much did it weigh?

a skele-ton

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

berth ell pup posted:

the masturbating pomepeiian owns

Died how he lived

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

He was probably sacrificed in some sort of religious ceremony.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

VikingSkull posted:

also iirc there's not even a skeleton inside the ash people it's just that the ash hardened around some people
No I think there are still skeletons there. They don't do the plaster casting anymore because it fucks up the bones.

They probably get more information from bone science stuff, instead of just guessing things like, "This man's genitals are poorly delineated because he was jacking off so furiously when he died that the ash couldn't even settle".

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
what if he's not jacking off but like right before the ash wall came he got tagged in the nuts by his dog and fell down

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the most merciful death

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm imagining this guy running in a panic, but at a way that he actually sees the giant stone headed right at him about 2 seconds before it hits him so he has enough time to realize the irony that it's not the volcano that's going to kill him after all, so he just stops and stares at it while giving a small shrugging laugh and an 'oh gently caress' right as it plows into him

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

He'll never be the head of a major corporation

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can't quite make it out, did this poor bastard get hit from the front or behind

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Eox posted:

I can't quite make it out, did this poor bastard get hit from the front or behind

Knees and feet look like behind but pelvis kind of looks like front

Anyway I'd wanna get stoned if I was about to die in a volcano too

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Blue Train posted:

Knees and feet look like behind but pelvis kind of looks like front

Anyway I'd wanna get stoned if I was about to die in a volcano too

the pelvis position is pretty conclusive, it makes sense that complex structures like those legs might settle in strange ways but unless he was literally turning over in his grave over getting incredibly owned he caught a goddamn lintel stone in the face lmao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the coolest story about the Vesuvius eruption is Pliny the Elder, a naturalist who tried to document the world but much like most ancient thinkers was satisfied with making up completely insane poo poo. He had a house across the bay and saw the eruption from there. His response wasn't "Holy gently caress, I got to get out of here!", it was "I gotta check this poo poo out! Oh, and rescue people." So he gets on a boat and sails over but now giant burning rocks are falling from the sky and the guy steering the ship goes, "We got to get the gently caress out of here!" but Pliny responds, "Fortune favors the bold! Keep going!" and straps a cushion to his head just in case a ten pound chunk of molten rock happens to drop on it.

There's two versions of what happens next and one is much more likely than the other. See if you can get which one it is. One option is he gets to the other side, and then proceeds to party in the crumbling city. Eventually his buddies go, "gently caress this, we gotta get out of here!" but Pliny collapses and dies finally overcome by the gasses. The other version of the story is that he gets to the other side and just sails around for a while watching people die and then finally goes, "gently caress it's hot. Hey slave, stab me a few times so I can cool off." The likely true event is Pliny partying to death in a burning city getting covered in ash and lava.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Rip pliney

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Typical Italian, resting on the job.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That scene in Amelie, but it's this guy getting smashed with a pillar and jackoff guy blowing his last load.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That scene in irreversible but it's a stone pillar instead of a fire extinguisher

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

He'll never be the head of a major corporation

Actually it was his first day but he got stoned

naem
May 29, 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I wonder if this is the same guy
I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

EorayMel posted:

Can we get a filter that changes "im gay" to that?

Hell yes

Big Beef City posted:

I'm imagining this guy running in a panic, but at a way that he actually sees the giant stone headed right at him about 2 seconds before it hits him so he has enough time to realize the irony that it's not the volcano that's going to kill him after all, so he just stops and stares at it while giving a small shrugging laugh and an 'oh gently caress' right as it plows into him

Ah yes. Like the ending to the hit movie, Donnie Darko.

Random Stranger posted:

I think the coolest story about the Vesuvius eruption is Pliny the Elder, a naturalist who tried to document the world but much like most ancient thinkers was satisfied with making up completely insane poo poo. He had a house across the bay and saw the eruption from there. His response wasn't "Holy gently caress, I got to get out of here!", it was "I gotta check this poo poo out! Oh, and rescue people." So he gets on a boat and sails over but now giant burning rocks are falling from the sky and the guy steering the ship goes, "We got to get the gently caress out of here!" but Pliny responds, "Fortune favors the bold! Keep going!" and straps a cushion to his head just in case a ten pound chunk of molten rock happens to drop on it.

There's two versions of what happens next and one is much more likely than the other. See if you can get which one it is. One option is he gets to the other side, and then proceeds to party in the crumbling city. Eventually his buddies go, "gently caress this, we gotta get out of here!" but Pliny collapses and dies finally overcome by the gasses. The other version of the story is that he gets to the other side and just sails around for a while watching people die and then finally goes, "gently caress it's hot. Hey slave, stab me a few times so I can cool off." The likely true event is Pliny partying to death in a burning city getting covered in ash and lava.

Do you think Pliny might be the masturbating man?!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

it would be pretty sweet if we could somehow identify the remains of pliny the elder

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

and i pray

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

Gay for the stay

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Do you think Pliny might be the masturbating man?!

Naw, he never got to Pompeii itself (there were a lot of towns destroyed in the eruption) and his body was recovered about a week later when the burning and ash and poisonous gasses finally subsided by his creatively named nephew Pliny the Younger.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Haha, bwned a noob.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There is a great recreation of the picture in the op in the film grosse point blank

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the guy isn't actually masturbating

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pompeii-man-ruins/

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nah, bro. He was definitely jackin it while the volcano burned him alive. Don't trust science!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

I imagine he stood staring and screaming "WHOOAAAAAA" for ten seconds like in Home Alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyXkq2vpFws

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

:getout:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

This doesn't even disprove that homie was baitin, only that he wasn't originally captioned as such.

Furthermore

quote:

About three-quarters of the known Pompeii victims are “frozen in suspended actions” and show evidence of sudden muscle contractions, such as curled toes, the study says.
A vigorous fist gently caress sesh will do that

Rating
Snopes can blow me

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

When I was in 6th grade, we were shown a video about Pompeii and the teacher told us that God caused the volcano to erupt because those people were unrepentant sinners. :yayclod:

Romans literally were sinners

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

VikingSkull posted:

what if he's not jacking off but like right before the ash wall came he got tagged in the nuts by his dog and fell down

What? Obviously the loving nutforce knocked him back, his cum exploded the wall, the ash hit him, he froze, dead. His dog is a statue just off camera looking real disturbed.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I like how Kevin thinks. He must be an academic.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Train posted:

Gay for the stay

Women got owned

(because Roman society viewed them as property)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I went to the British Museum once while they were having a Last Days of Pompeii exhibit, but it cost like 10 pounds to see so I declined and looked at mummies for free.

My friend made a total dad joke ‘you mean I have to Pom-pay to get in?!’

I always wondered if the Pompeii ash-cast people or mummies, back when they were still alive, ever stopped to muse ‘I wonder if, in 2000 years, a bunch of strange people will gawk at my corpse?’

‘Well if that’s the case, I hope I get owned by a giant rock!’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you had to die it would be much quicker to quickly get smooshed by a big rock than slowly suffocating with poisonous gases and ash. This guy was a lot luckier than people that actually got into a shelter that would soon be buried forever.

• Locked thread