Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Stark Fist posted:

The Ken Burns Nam doc is some good poo poo

Pro watch if you have 17 hours to spare. Lol at how psychopathic every American president and especially Nixon were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So basically for the Vietnamese the Americans were an interlude between fighting the French and the Chinese?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So basically for the Vietnamese the Americans were an interlude between fighting the French and the Chinese?

Yep.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Didn't they fight the cambodians first

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Stark Fist posted:

The Ken Burns Nam doc is some good poo poo

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a hole-y ghost posted:

Didn't they fight the cambodians first

Yeah that's why the Chinese attacked.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most every part of Vietnamese history is an interlude between fighting vastly more powerful enemies. They're historically a pretty badass people.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Yeah that's why the Chinese attacked.

Also why it was the reserves who had to grind down the Chinese attack, while the regulars were busy with Cambodia.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vietnam beat the poo poo out of the USA in the war. Chased the white privileged devils right out of there. Happy 4th losers.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Vietnam beat the poo poo out of the USA in the war. Chased the white privileged devils right out of there. Happy 4th losers.
Thanks.

Wait. Wha—:argh:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

mau! di di mau!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

COMRADES posted:

Well, to start with, the Tet Offensive had less to do with cameras at the US embassy and a general "oh gently caress how do they still have this many people willing to fight? we need to start mobilizing reserves..." moment of clarity in the US command structure. The general in command of the theater requested another 200,000 soldiers for a counteroffensive and then even the warhawks started going "you know what gently caress this actually."

Well, according to the views on the war that don't see the Vietcong and the North Vietnamese as as close allies as is often thought, the ultimate victors of the Tet offensive were the North Vietnamese. The US were shown that the war wasn't even close to being over and they were vulnerable to attack anywhere in the country, whereas the Vietcong suffered massive losses amongst its trained fighters, ultimately making them totally second fiddle to the NVA rather than a possible contender once the Americans were driven out.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's pretty insane in the interviews with VC soldiers in the Ken Burns documentary when they matter of factly go "yeah so we laid an ambush, killed Americans and downed some helicopters. Half of us got killed". Not all of them mind, I remember one officer who was moved to tears on camera thinking about the comrades he lost.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
red salute for vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Zb6EUO9DY

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kazak posted:

Thanks guys!

Also this strategist guy sounds cool, can anyone recommend a good book about him? Or about VC ingenuity/asymmetry in general?
if you're talking about vo nguyen giap there's a book of his writings on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Military-Art-Peoples-Nguyen-Giap/dp/0853451931

and other such things floating around i'm sure

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tet was just the culmination of what had been going on since 1962- the PAVN's frustration with guerilla warfare and its slow results and gradually escalating the scale of battles in an attempt to oust the SVN government in one fell swoop. These were big company, battalion, regimental, even divisional scale operations borne out of that impatience with insurgency. I don't really think we'll see anything quite like it again.

A lot of people think the SVN government hadn't been doing counterinsurgency tactics, when they in fact had, but a strategic hamlet was extremely vulnerable to company and battalion sized PAVN attacks- most of the counterinsurgent strategy is based on an enemy using small-scale incursions and infiltration, whereas the VC worked in much larger numbers with northern support.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Grevling posted:

Pro watch if you have 17 hours to spare. Lol at how psychopathic every American president and especially Nixon were.

Shoutout to Nixon for sabotaging peace talks so he could get himself elected. Also, shoutout to LBJ for not outing Nixon for treason on his way out of office. 2 Great Leaders.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yay good job everyone dragging out the war unnecessarily :downsbravo:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dsriggs posted:

Shoutout to Nixon for sabotaging peace talks so he could get himself elected. Also, shoutout to LBJ for not outing Nixon for treason on his way out of office. 2 Great Leaders.

sucks because apart from Vietnam. LBJ was awesome and probably the last great democrat(jimmy tried but got hosed over a ton and obama was alright but way to :decorum:)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Obama was a right wing dork whose only virtue was being better than Clinton and McCain in 08.

LBJ was loving legit, and got hosed around by an idiotic and over reaching CIA, overzealous military advisors, and JFKs leftover people who more or less hated him and thought of him as an outsider. He was surrounded by wolves

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As someone that has gotten many cheevos in Call of Duty and Battlefield games I think I know a thing or two about war.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
What about ARVN, op, you gently caress

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

vyst posted:

As someone that has gotten many cheevos in Call of Duty and Battlefield games I think I know a thing or two about war.

I’ve got diamond camo on sniper rifles on COD WWII, so am something of an expert on that particular conflict. Good to see a fellow history buff as it were.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Vietciong was the best game btw

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

What about ARVN, op, you gently caress
Truly, the unsung heroes of the conflict.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The arvn guy who managed to unload his chinook on a tiny ship then jump out as he flipped it over was fuckin awesome.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

the reason we got loving wrecked in the tet offensive is that the vietcong performed an impossible feat of military logistics which is of immense historical and military significance

I think it's more that global politics just prevented us from nuking them into the ground. Like sure you can say their gorilla warfare was effective but every "war" since ww2 that america's been involved in has entirely been a situation where one side is hiding behind their civilians and we're just unwilling to "win" under standards of killing them into submission. It'd be like a boxing match where you demand your opponent wear a blindfold and tie an arm behind their back or you'll kill your entire family.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

gorilla warfare

this would have made vietnam significantly better

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Stexils posted:

this would have made vietnam significantly better

What troops could withstand a battalion of silverbacks running them down.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it's more that global politics just prevented us from nuking them into the ground. Like sure you can say their gorilla warfare was effective but every "war" since ww2 that america's been involved in has entirely been a situation where one side is hiding behind their civilians and we're just unwilling to "win" under standards of killing them into submission. It'd be like a boxing match where you demand your opponent wear a blindfold and tie an arm behind their back or you'll kill your entire family.

wow, a true blue dugout doug post

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

wow, a true blue dugout doug post

Not saying we should have been involved in the first place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ArbitraryC posted:

Not saying we should have been involved in the first place.

i'm not judging

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

i'm not judging

Just wanted to make it clear I don't actually think we should have just killed a bunch of innocents nor do I agree with our participation in those conflicts in general. That was very far away from my point.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

Lol if you think killing foreign civilians is the thing that stopped America from nuking the poo poo out of Vietnam rather than Russia (and China?) and their nuclear arsenal.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Lol if you think killing foreign civilians is the thing that stopped America from nuking the poo poo out of Vietnam rather than Russia (and China?) and their nuclear arsenal.

What part of "global politics" was confusing, literally the first thing I said.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

A win is a win

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think we could have won the war if we had been fighting in the US instead of Vietnam. But then it wouldn't have made sense to call it the Vietnam War so we were stuck doing it over there. It really was just bad luck.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Lyndon B Johnson named his penis Jumbo and loved whipping it out, especially when people asked about why the war was going on.

No, really. Here are some anecdotes.

quote:

According to this review of A Mind of Its Own: A Cultural History of the Penis, “Lyndon B. Johnson once answered reporters badgering him about why the United States was in Vietnam with a simple, unmistakable off-the-record gesture: he unzipped, pulled out his penis and said, ‘This is why!’ ”

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I mean, he wasn't wrong

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
The reason America didn't just nuke or march into North Vietnam etc was not that they were above killing civilians (we know they weren't given the absolutely ruthless bombing campaigns) or fear of retaliation by the USSR, but because they have no hard principles and fight for money streams. Not that principled stances are very common in general or last longer than specific leadership figures stay in power.

Nuke or otherwise flatten a country to conquer it, you inherit a wasteland or at least reduce what you're going to get out of it. Conquer a country whose population hates you and does not fear you enough not to sabotage the puppet government you set up, same thing. Of course USSR and China mattered in the sense that they guaranteed the populations would never run out of weapons and ammo. Intensive warfare messes with budgets worse than long-term, low-intensity warfare even when it's cheaper in the long term, supporting non-self-sustaining puppet governments is expensive, and war has to pay for itself if not in money terms, at least in PR and global diplomatic power terms. And Vietnam, given its will to fight and unthreatening nature, wasn't worth much except to hardcore Domino Theory believers.

There are actually no concerns with morality apart from what's required to look justified to the people who are both paying the whole thing and dying for it, and like someone your allies can keep supporting. Like yeah, their support is critical, but why actually put moral restrictions on yourself when you can be treated the same as if you did by directing an intensive propaganda campaign at local and international populations. You know, giving journalists guided tours, subtly threatening journalists who enter the country not through the guided tours, paying for airtime for pro-war advertisements and opinions, threatening to pull away ad money, exclusive interviews and positions at important events news stations if they air coverage that would sabotage your narrative, flooding the international community with doctored information so that they will treat that as their best source on the events and give an air of legitimacy to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Has anyone said the whole war could of been avoided?

Because the whole war could of been avoided.

• Locked thread