Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
You can't see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I always thought TOTO was an Aussie band because they look so ugly and clueless but no, I just looked it up and they are Americans :/

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Grem posted:

You can't see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.

so that means

quote:

I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
he doesn't know that he must do what's right, which is

quote:

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
keeping these dogs company

we are solving the riddle of Toto's Africa

e: or maybe he's saying Kilimanjaro rises the same way Olympus does when Olympus is above the Serengeti. maybe he is trying to tell us that Kilimanjaro floats and Olympus is floating over Tanzania

Cubone fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 12, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Olympus does not rise above the Serengeti
Kilimanjaro does not rise above the Serengeti

The lyric is a statement of positive certainty

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think Toto's first mistake was not using a strictly typed language

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Curious questions itt regarding toto

gayest of posters
Aug 5, 2018

by R. Guyovich
i always wondered about the african goddess that the singer was so infatuated by. but turns out there was no such thing.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Weezer ruins everything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cubone posted:

keeping these dogs company

no dude, the dogs want to gently caress. he shouldn't be keeping them company in that instance

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I know this thread has been trying to make sense of this song in really stupid ways, but I just saw someone talking in earnest about how it’s about a guy who went to Africa to cure his lycanthropy.

That’s on par with the lengthy comment I once saw talking about how Baker Street is the story of a guy getting abducted by aliens.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Cyril Sneer posted:

How about some Betty Davis Eyes

thats just being greedy

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
miss the rains. miss the rains ffs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's legally "bless the rains" and all of you saying otherwise should report yourselves to the cops

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

It's "God bless the rains down in Africa" I'm surprised this is news to people.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I Busta Rhymes down in Africa

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

it's "checks for free"

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

See the little human being with the earring and the make up 
Yeah buddy that's his own hair 
That little human being got his own jet airplane
That little human being he's a millionaire
Hawaiian noises?
Bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee 

Never realized how problematic that song was

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It’s “revved up like a deuce”, people. Geez

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

gonna take some time to do the things we never had
we got to move these refrigerators
we gotta move these color teeeeeveeeeees

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I heard the guy from dire straits was in a department store that was playing MTV, and a couple of dudes who worked there were actually saying all that poo poo, and he could tell it was gold, and wrote down as much as he could, then arranged the result into the lyrics

that's why there's all those weird lines about custom installing microwave ovens and "we got to move these refrigerators" it's literally the words of some schlubs working at Sears or something enviously watching some mid-80's glam rock and going "I should've learned to play the guitar... that ain't workin. that's the way you do it: you play the guitar on the mtv"

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
its about how the africans are unable to govern themselves and need the colonialist rule of the west to manage their society

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

She's a N-word on a one-way ride.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cubone posted:

I heard the guy from dire straits was in a department store that was playing MTV, and a couple of dudes who worked there were actually saying all that poo poo, and he could tell it was gold, and wrote down as much as he could, then arranged the result into the lyrics

that's why there's all those weird lines about custom installing microwave ovens and "we got to move these refrigerators" it's literally the words of some schlubs working at Sears or something enviously watching some mid-80's glam rock and going "I should've learned to play the guitar... that ain't workin. that's the way you do it: you play the guitar on the mtv"

That's pretty much the way it went down. The "I want my MTV" line was improvised by Sting but almost the entire rest of lyrics are taken straight up from two blue collar dudes slinging appliances for some major department store.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Wild hogs fly out in the night.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

interwhat posted:

It’s “revved up like a deuce”, people. Geez

another boner in the night

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Evil Agita posted:

See the little human being with the earring and the make up 
Yeah buddy that's his own hair 
That little human being got his own jet airplane
That little human being he's a millionaire
Hawaiian noises?
Bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee 

Never realized how problematic that song was
not to pick on you but it's been pretty funny the last four years or so watching straight people suddenly noticing the word "human being"
and occasionally reacting like ed asner in that episode of family guy, where he stabs himself, and then sadly says "is THAT what I've been doing to people?"

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

:bigtran: Thank you for calling me straight :bigtran:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Wait was that really ed asner in that family guy episode?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Haha wow this is terrible

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Evil Agita posted:

Wait was that really ed asner in that family guy episode?

yeah

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
As with all music, the lyrics only exist to try and trick you into listening to a song more than once.

Do not fall for their lies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he turned to me as if to say
hairy boy, she's waiting there for you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

~*God Bless Lorraines In Africa*~

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

^lmao

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I read a sci-fi book once, possibly titled Space Ivory or something, set in the future where I think there was some sort of curse on some dude who had to return the ivory from the kilamanjaro elephant to break the curse. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

its tusks were so long it was said to leave twin furrows in the ground wherever it walked. elephants are beautiful creatures very wise and gentle.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Labes for days posted:

I know this thread has been trying to make sense of this song in really stupid ways, but I just saw someone talking in earnest about how it’s about a guy who went to Africa to cure his lycanthropy.

That’s on par with the lengthy comment I once saw talking about how Baker Street is the story of a guy getting abducted by aliens.

Well don't just leave us hanging.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

In WMD 'karamojo' Bell's 1923 book 'The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter' he mentions a tusk in the 'South Kensington Museum'. About ten years later it was later reunited with its twin, and there hangs a tale.

The tale as Bell tells it:

On our arrival at Mani-Mani we were met by one Shundi--a remarkable man. Karirono by birth he had been captured early in life, taken to the coast and sold as a slave. Being a man of great force of character he had soon freed himself by turning Mohammedan. Thence onward fortune had smiled upon him until at last he was, the recognised Tajir (rich man) of all the traders. Having naturally the intelligence to recognise the value of bluff and from his primitive ancestors the nerve to carry it off, he was at this time the greatest of all traders. Just as he had been a leader while slave-raiding was the order of the day, so now he led when ivory had given place to slaves as a commodity. One other thing that makes him conspicuous, at any rate, in my mind, and that he had owned the slave who who had laid low the elephant which bore the enormous tusks, one of which now reposes in the south Kensington museum. these tusks are still, as far as I know, the record. The one we have in London scales 234lb. or thereabouts. According to Shuundi his slave killed it with a muzzle-loader on the slopes of Kilimandjaro.

im trying to find out how big or old an elephant would be if its tusks were 3 meters long bu all i got is it would be real big and real old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Ah yes, the great personal distinction of owning the slave who killed the lord of all elephants

• Locked thread