Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You died. How?
Ion Cannon
Crushed to death by rubble
Listened to one-to-many briefings from Sheppard
Consumed by Commander Rapter
View Results

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MEDIC
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Bandages
Any friendly infantry near the Medic will automatically be healed to full health. Although a Medic cannot heal himself, Medics working in teams make excellent additions to any infantry force.

Author's Note: One of the best additions to the GDI arsenal. Barring one-hit kills, the Medic can extend the value of an infantry force by a large amount.

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Damnit, haha. I'm still stuck in Tiberian Dawn.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

just how much faster and better getting resources is
And it makes sense, too! You're not handling hazardous Tiberium anymore, so yeah just go ahead and dump the entire haul onto the unloading dock, it's fine!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The pillboxes have stationary Vulcan cannons in them? That must loving suck for the guys manning them

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

TENT BARRACKS
ARMOR: Light
PURPOSE: Trains Infantry units
The Tent Barracks is where all Allied infantry are trained. Some advanced / special infantry units may not be available until other structures are built.

Author's Note: The GDI infantry building. Its called TENT Barracks because the Soviet building is also called the Barracks.

GDI is all over the place in this new timeline it seems. ;)

Now, before we get to the mission, I absolutely love Red Alert 1's map theme. Not really sure why, but it has always stuck with me all these years. Just a nice mix of moody and slightly sinister. Also like how the map itself is less detailed then in TD, really helps set the theme that this is set in an earlier time period.

As for mission 2, it is a great showcase of how to build a base, the game even deploys the MCV for you if you don't interrupt it. The handful of Soviet attacks are easily cut down by your units and reinforcements are incredibly generous. The Soviet base is quite weak and easily overrun, no having to slug through defenses this time. Oh, and of course your economy is far better then in TD, no waiting for a trickle of credits. Pretty much everything in this game has a quality of life improvement, build range, economy, the timer ending as soon as the map is cleared, its amazing how much better this game is about things.

As for unit improvements, you are 100% right, the Rifleman is much better then the TD Minigunner. The Rifleman has 3 range in this game vs TD's 2, and now also boasts 4 vision vs the 1 for the poor Minigunner. Plus it's base build time is now only 3 seconds vs 7, so you can pump them out incredibly quickly.

As for the Pillbox, it is an amazingly better base defense then the Guard Tower. The Pillbox has 400 HP vs 200 for the Guard Tower, costs 100 credits less and deals 40 SA damage vs 20 HE for the Tower. The Pillbox also has a shorter cooldown by 10 and most importantly, 5 attack range vs the Guard Tower's 4, so it can actually shoot things in this game. The only negative is taking slightly more power but for everything else, the Pillbox is far better.

So yeah, great second mission that teaches you the basics of base building, with plenty of ore and more then enough troops reinforcing to easily clear the map.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 15, 2019

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I love medics, because I love keeping units alive. I've always hated throwing tons of units at a problem and watching them die, even if it is usually the best solution to taking poo poo out in most every rts. Just not my style to have things under my control perish!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Wow, for a game that looks mainly like a reskin of the original game, it's amazing how much better this one feels. Flows a lot faster, all the various little changes make it play noticeably more interesting even just watching alone, and God knows there's an actual coherent plot already for the GDI-equivalent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MadDogMike posted:

Wow, for a game that looks mainly like a reskin of the original game, it's amazing how much better this one feels. Flows a lot faster, all the various little changes make it play noticeably more interesting even just watching alone, and God knows there's an actual coherent plot already for the GDI-equivalent.

Red Alert is a massive upgrade and I'm glad it shines through so quickly :allears:

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

UED Special Ops posted:

As for mission 2, I like how after the FMV briefing, you are given a quick recap of what you have to do. Its a simple thing, but still handy, especially since as shown, you will usually get more exact info on what will be going on in the mission.
IIRC that's either a fanpatch change or the OP doing editing. The original game always supported showing the briefing at mission start, expansion pack-style, but didn't actualy use it for the main campaign; you are still immediately launched into the battlefield after the FMV.

I say the original game "always supported" it, because it was a rather user-friendly change in the :filez: version of the time, replacing the FMV with the text briefing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ok so that text briefing? You have to manually click on it. Otherwise, you, the player, would never know about it. So yeah, I'm editing in the text briefing (if different from start) so that it isn't forgotten and because sometimes there's hints or interesting stuff.

Its more useful as a mid-level reminder, or after you've saved and come back a week later.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok so that text briefing? You have to manually click on it. Otherwise, you, the player, would never know about it. So yeah, I'm editing in the text briefing (if different from start) so that it isn't forgotten and because sometimes there's hints or interesting stuff.

Its more useful as a mid-level reminder, or after you've saved and come back a week later.

Oh, huh, well then. It has been an incredibly long time since I last played, and must have forgotten that extra briefing text doesn't come up automatically. Will amend my post accordingly. Whoops. :blush:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Oh, huh, well then. It has been an incredibly long time since I last played, and must have forgotten that extra briefing text doesn't come up automatically. Will amend my post accordingly. Whoops. :blush:

It does for some missions, so you're half right!

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I figured so, since the buttons are "Resume Game" and "Video", rather than "Start Mission".

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It does for some missions, so you're half right!

Yeah, that was what I was remembering.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
My normal ratio was one medic for every 8-9 infantry if I was sending in a big wave. So long as they didn't get hit by something like an insta-kill, that would keep them going for pretty much ever.

Also you avoided the dreaded Harvester chase sequence. In the missions where suddenly the Harvester turn sinto a death machine and chases after your poor infantry is one of the scariest things. Also the 'mass sell off of buildings and then rush'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

cuc posted:

I figured so, since the buttons are "Resume Game" and "Video", rather than "Start Mission".

Yeah but I meant you had to actually hit escape and then briefing. I didn't actually realize their was separate text for the longest time as a kid, haha.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

My normal ratio was one medic for every 8-9 infantry if I was sending in a big wave. So long as they didn't get hit by something like an insta-kill, that would keep them going for pretty much ever.

Also you avoided the dreaded Harvester chase sequence. In the missions where suddenly the Harvester turn sinto a death machine and chases after your poor infantry is one of the scariest things. Also the 'mass sell off of buildings and then rush'.

Just mash that X button!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
But, yeah, RA has so many good balance tweaks. Infantry is generally all around useful - rocket soldiers and riflemen can hold thier own in numbers, medics help keep them up and alive. They can be built quickly and relatively cheaply.

Okay to talk about some of the improvements to UI and things for troops or you get to them when they come up Jobbo?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

But, yeah, RA has so many good balance tweaks. Infantry is generally all around useful - rocket soldiers and riflemen can hold thier own in numbers, medics help keep them up and alive. They can be built quickly and relatively cheaply.

Okay to talk about some of the improvements to UI and things for troops or you get to them when they come up Jobbo?

UI should be fine, troops I'll prob get to depending on what you mean.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I thought RA occurs in ~1945 since Einstein seems to have returned to the date he left, just in an altered reality.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Might as well keep bringing up these things because I think it's interesting and funny.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

MEDIC
RANGE: N/A
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Bandages
Any friendly infantry near the Medic will automatically be healed to full health. Although a Medic cannot heal himself, Medics working in teams make excellent additions to any infantry force.

In Germany this guy was a mechanic. A mechanic who's also a robot. A mechanobot.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice things RA does.

Guard - Afraid your Ore harvester is gonna get mauled? Put a couple of vehicles alongw tih it. Also hilarious for totally messing up it's pathing.

Patrol - go up and down this way and shoot everything that comes.

Construct multiple units - GLORIOUS.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

White Coke posted:

I thought RA occurs in ~1945 since Einstein seems to have returned to the date he left, just in an altered reality.

Isn't there an unspecified delay between the end of the intro scene with Einstein coming back from his time travelling escapades, and the start of the first mission?
I guess plot coherence isn't a pillar of Red Alert, though, so I am already probably reading too deeply into it.

Seeing as the Rules file has been mentioned a bit already, are there any plans for a showcase of what it is and can do?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wedgekree posted:

Nice things RA does.

This is not a feature. There is no production queuing.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I think I watched my roommate in college play that first mission a dozen times. Every time, Tanya wound up picking a fight with the Soviet ore harvester and getting run over.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Might as well keep bringing up these things because I think it's interesting and funny.

In Germany this guy was a mechanic. A mechanic who's also a robot. A mechanobot.

Did they just cut out the opening video with Hitler I guess?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

This is not a feature. There is no production queuing.

You're right. I blame communist indoctrination.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wedgekree posted:

Nice things RA does.

Guard - Afraid your Ore harvester is gonna get mauled? Put a couple of vehicles alongw tih it. Also hilarious for totally messing up it's pathing.

Patrol - go up and down this way and shoot everything that comes.

Tiberian Dawn has a "Follow" mode that functions like the Guard mode youre talking about. You do it by CTRL + ALT + LEFT click

No I never used it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

wedgekree posted:

Harvester as a Death machine is great - you gang up on a defenceless, weaponless truck and it just starts to literally crush your soldiers, it's like Maximum Overdrive

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

White Coke posted:

It's probably best not to dwell on it too much. That being said, Einstein's video specified the date so by convention when the next video said PRESENT DAY we should take that to mean the current time is sometime after Einsteins little jaunt. Well, you can also take it to mean a point in the past and that we are seeing Einstein in the future as a sort of preview. That seems less likely to me since there's only a few years to work with between Ex-Hitlering and the start of the trip back.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its hard to really pin down a timeframe when we see jeeps and M1 Abrams and Chinooks being used. Who knows, we may get something more definite in the future :shrug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does the Red Alert franchise ever explain wtf 'ore' is?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

I don't believe it does? I'll have to check later.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As a kid, I always thought it was grain :ussr:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Pretty sure that 'ore' is just various valuable minerals that are useful for the ongoing war effort. It is probably a gameplay convention more then anything else, but it would be safe to consider it as deposits of copper, iron, etc. But no, I don't think the game ever goes in depth about ore.

As for timeline stuff, I think that there is a rough timetable for it, but I am not sure if it is shown in-game.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 15, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

UED Special Ops posted:

Pretty sure that 'ore' is just various valuable minerals that are useful for the ongoing war effort. It is probably a gameplay convention more then anything else, but it would be safe to consider it as deposits of copper, iron, etc. But no, I don't think the game ever goes in depth about ore.

As for timeline stuff, I think that there is a rough timetable for it, but I am not sure if it is shown in-game.

This is what I always took it as.

Something funny; Ore also spreads around like Tiberium if you leave it sitting long enough :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, someone/something is apparently digging chunks of useful stuff out of the ground and just dumping it.
The equivalent of the blossom tree here is a tiny open mine shaft.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gold is just so much more prevalent in this timeline.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
One nice thing about medics that hasn't been mentioned yet is if you put them in guard mode they will automatically heal nearby friendly units within a certain range of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Item Getter posted:

Did they just cut out the opening video with Hitler I guess?

Funny thing! The part with Hitler is cut out so the video has Einstein disappear and reappear in one shot. In my opinion seeing that was actually really cool and finding out about the silly original was a bit of a letdown.

This brings me to another thing. Red Alert (or maybe it was one of the expansions) came with several Windows themes. Remember when those were a thing? Matching sounds, desktop wallpaper and icons for My Computer and the Recycling Bin? Well, one of them had this wallpaper and naturally for the longest time I had no idea what it was and figured it must be something that happens later in the game.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 15, 2019