Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I swear, I said the "you forget to cherish it" line a SECOND before Thorn did in the video. :allears:

On a different note, this LP caused me to pick this game up, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Similar but unrelated, I checked out Dragon Marked for Death yesterday, which is a bit like Mega Man Zero meets Monster Hunter (or so I was told):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObbLSpDu75Y

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Apologies for completely forgetting to put this up last week. This is the last part before a small hiatus, wherein I do one more successful run of Defiant with skulls active to unlock something cool.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Thorn: I lose maximum health at the start of every level. This could get dicey.

Also Thorn: *ignores Aug that grants the same amount of max health at the start of every level that he's losing at the start of every level*

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
Oh, how the post-boss rewards work in multiplayer, since it was brought up in the video: That small platform above will have a second set of rewards. Each person can pick one. If they pick nuts, they go to the shared amount the players have, but if they pick an aug or a power/weapon, that thing ONLY goes to them (unlike all the augs elsewhere which get applied to both players, with the exception of prototypes which let each player pick them up individually). While I've somehow yet to see it and pay attention, I assume that if multiplayer is being done with Draco, one of the powers can probably change appropriately while the other one is left alone.

Hey, don't blame Draco for the 17 health thing! It's not his fault! You should be blaming Interesting Times, which I hate.

You don't use energy in the post-boss area, so after getting your energy back, you could have just flamethrowered that snake thing. Probably would have saved some time.

Jacob, there are video games where touching a spike on the side doesn't hurt you! ...this and Mega Man in general not being among those. ...also, a certain heat move in Yakuza 0 would disagree with the bit about the butt of a bat not hurting.

That explosion was the level geometry for Flat's fight popping in.

Ah, I'm glad you have the correct opinion on World Slug, though maybe not as extreme as some people. If you can deal with the platforming normally, it just makes progress though levels so much slower. A lot of people actively avoid picking it up.

Some things not mentioned with the revenants are that shop prices are doubled for them and that they cannot use core augs (so they can't get double jump or the like) or any alternate primary weapons other than their starter. One GOOD thing about them is that they generally get greater bonuses or smaller penalties from picking up prototype augments. Though there is one where they have an INCREASED penalty (but also an increased bonus, and it's strong enough that this may be needed for an attempt at balance).

Malicus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 21, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jacob joins me for a run of multiplayer with our two core heroes. Next week we'll conclude the LP with a co-op run of Draco and Hawk.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry; I'm just laughing my rear end off at 26:07 in the video.

Thorn posted:

I don't have three legs...

Edit: You CAN configure the controls to give you a weapon select wheel when you hold one of the shoulder buttons, so you can pick between all of the boss powers (much like a MegaMan game).

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 12, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think the lack of a revival at the end might have something to do with the fact that the reviving player gives half their health to their teammate. Took me a while to notice that fact, but since you only had 1 HP at the end that might've prevented revival.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Oh cool, another update here.

The Final Shell doesn't just give you a specific amount of armor, it gives you 2 armor for every 1 health you lose.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Cyflan posted:

The Final Shell doesn't just give you a specific amount of armor, it gives you 2 armor for every 1 health you lose.

Final Shell absolutely rules, it might be one of the best out-of-the-box Prototypes you can get; while reducing your max HP to 1 is pretty significant, it doesn't prevent you from gaining more through other Augs (which are pretty common!) and unless you're facetanking absolutely everything in the game or completely new to it, you're probably not going to run out of all that armor before you pick up another 4-6 HP to fall back on. You're literally doubling your healthbar, even if that health can't be earned back easily.

Its only real competitor in risk:reward benevolence is Patchwork Integrator ("roughly halve your damage output" isn't as bad as it seems) and, if you're playing as Draco, Brutish Augmentation.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
An unmentioned bonus of Sanity Converter is that it also tacks on a 2x multiplier to your power damage (not shown in your stats). This is part of why your powers were doing SO MUCH damage in that run. If you have a sufficient surplus of energy, it's quite good. Having the Owlhawk helm makes it even better, since if that procs you get the power damage boost (and the power use) without losing any max energy.

That weird face that popped up at 28:19 in the video was the in-game emote system, accessed by holding down the interact key during multiplayer (and as seen there, it's sometimes done accidentally). Also, if you hold the interact key for long enough in multiplayer, when you release it you will teleport to your partner (provided you're playing in reverent or normal difficulty).

Pretty sure that augs picked up while your partner is dead still are applied your partner (provided they would go to them normally). I remember that I was worried about that for a long time too.

It's possible to cheese the Flat fight in multiplayer. Have one person on the left and one person on the right. The person who's not where Flat is (and is waiting) should stand a bit away from the wall and open their pause menu. Being paused will cause the knockback from Flat fleeing to not affect them, then when he runs over they'll be in position to get to him without going through the gauntlet in the middle. This saves a significant amount of time and effort. Also, damaging Flat runs on both a timer after he's hit and a damage gate. If either one is passed, he flees to the other side.

CptWedgie posted:

I think the lack of a revival at the end might have something to do with the fact that the reviving player gives half their health to their teammate. Took me a while to notice that fact, but since you only had 1 HP at the end that might've prevented revival.

I think that was just the game forcing the camera and the player into the final part of the escape. The capsule spawned, he just couldn't get it in time. Also, I think reviving someone will never set your health below 3 and will always give them at least 3 health.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That's it from us for 20XX, folks! Thank you all for watching, and hope you enjoyed the LP. Jacob and I had a lot of fun with this game, but we're ready to put it to bed after a couple runs of co-op Draco and Hawk on the harder difficulties.
No current plans for another game to fill its slot yet, but I'm sure something will come along before long.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Thank you for doing this lp!

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
Thrillseeker GUARANTEES a glory zone in the levels that can have them.

...seeing the pass on Glass Cannon kind of hurts my soul.

Oh no Crisis Lifebank, the WORST aug. It steals your health drops and then it MAYBE gives them back to you via exploding when you need them, but only half of what it picked up. Fortunately, it basically never appears during a run, only if you buy it before a run.

Aaaa, at 47 minutes you forgot you had a double jump in the form of your hammer's uppercut. ...the "proper" way to get up there with no upgrades is to NOT kill the hive thing (Deadpool dude) and use it as a platform, but resisting the urge to destroy everything in front of you is hard.

The hell at 54:51: This is one of the reasons you picked up Force Nova!

Oh, the Switch version. I hear that there's a bug there that doesn't exist in the other versions. On the Switch version do whatever you can to avoid picking up Deconstructor's Might (well, you have to once when you unlock it, and you DO want to unlock everything because that in itself unlocks something), because it can crash the game as of the current version.

Thanks for the LP. It's often interesting seeing someone else learn a game you're already familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ThornBrain posted:

That's it from us for 20XX, folks! Thank you all for watching, and hope you enjoyed the LP. Jacob and I had a lot of fun with this game, but we're ready to put it to bed after a couple runs of co-op Draco and Hawk on the harder difficulties.
No current plans for another game to fill its slot yet, but I'm sure something will come along before long.

It's seemed like a pretty nice iteration on the roguelike platformer concept. Little rough around the edges, but solid. Thanks for sharing!