Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Dave Matthews and phish we’re starting to get big when I was in college and smoking pot, a lot an also getting laid and so I like them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is it for me. The worst thing music can be is boring, and bands like DMB have it in spades.

I feel the same way about Tom Petty.
The difference is that Tom Petty wrote some good songs sometimes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this is the good phish song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzda6SBQ5gs

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

i really like Golgi Apparatus

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mom it's my birthday would you say

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Heard a rumour that Dave matthews liked to pay underage feme.fand to pee on him after his concerts

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Pookum posted:

Heard a rumour that Dave matthews liked to pay underage feme.fand to pee on him after his concerts

cool, gonna treat this as fact

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pookum posted:

if anything the girl is at fault for peeing on him and she's lucky he doesn't press charges

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'm not familiar with any of their songs but if they put as much effort into their music as coming up with a band name I expect it to be utter poo poo.

It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a guy called Dave Matthews in the band at all. But I googled them and there is. Embarrassing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Dave Matthews Band has aged really really poorly but at least it's aged memorably. 20 years later I can still imagine huaaipppp-POW-whuuup-comon-fast-I-eat-you in my head while a fiddle plays manically in the background.

Ask me to hum just three notes from the loving Goo Goo Dolls and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i've met dmb fans before and I feel like people become dmb fans if they just started listening to music and someone gave them an album - I can see someone whose only frame of reference is listening to radio pop and rap music listening to dmb for the first time and being like "whoa man, this is different and cool", but you might as well listen to Neil Young / Jimi Hendrix / Bob Marley / The Grateful Dead / Allmond Brothers yourself and skip the middleman. that said, I don't mind if people play it as background music, dmb doesn't actively piss me off when it's played.

I feel like a lot of why DMB was so successful was that 90s time in music. It was just before the internet made it possible to listen to anything ever with zero effort -- such as the bluegrass & jazz that DMB was cribbing from. But at the same time people were buying poo poo-tons of CDs so you got exposed to musical diversity. I had (still have I think) 3 or 4 Grateful Dead CDs from the 90s, and I don't even like the Dead.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I got to see them perform Devil Went Down to Georgia live on stage in Tennessee. Dude went through like four bowstrings. It was pretty wild.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Klyith posted:

Ask me to hum just three notes from the loving Goo Goo Dolls and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Here, I'll help... Let me know if you hear thus in your head, just from the lyrics. My pain is your pain:

"... and I won't tell noooooooo one your name."

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Here, I'll help... Let me know if you hear thus in your head, just from the lyrics. My pain is your pain:

yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
People can’t appreciate that they have the coolest logo in rock n roll.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
dont miss out on the new airvape x

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
My wife dragged me to see them last year. I said the only way I was gonna see a jam band for basic bitches was if I were to make and eat a heroic dose of edibles. They kicked in and I thought I was going to poo poo myself.

That’s my DMB story, hth

Khorne
May 1, 2002
compare to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

The question answers itself.

I feel the same way about Tom Petty.
DMB sounds like a cascade of poorly assembled instruments, and the goal of every one of their songs is to sound like that.

Tom Petty's better songs are reasonably composed and capture relatable emotions.

I gotta assume DMB has some decent songs, most artists do, but I find their sound outright offensive so I'm real biased against them.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DMB more like dunk my balls

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Klyith posted:

Is there anything to feel? Is it pain that makes you real?
Cut me off before it kills me

DUN DUN

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That first chord in ants marching is one of the most unpleasant sounds i can think of.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
OP, like many things that suck, it's because of their fans

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

euthy posted:

OP, like many things that suck, it's because of their fans

I think Dave fans are way better than the music.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
DMB is rustic sounding music that suburban people can feel comfortable with without all that icky full on country vibe. Like the suburban white people who kinda want to listen to hip-hop but are too scared to actually go into it.

DMB is Macklemore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Grape posted:

DMB is rustic sounding music that suburban people can feel comfortable with without all that icky full on country vibe. Like the suburban white people who kinda want to listen to hip-hop but are too scared to actually go into it.

DMB is Macklemore.

You don’t think suburbanites listen to country music? Where are you from?

And you think Dave Matthews sounds like country?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is there anything to feel? Is it pain that makes you real?
Cut me off before it kills me

DUN DUN

nope. nothing there. all gone into a blur of general mid-to-late-90s radio friendly alternative.

had to look up "iris" on youtube to remember what their #1 hit sounded like.

BigFactory posted:

And you think Dave Matthews sounds like country?

it's got a fiddle! that means it's country music, right?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
How are we three pages in without anyone mentioning that one of the people Dave poo poo on was a goon?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1174437&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Wintermutant posted:

How are we three pages in without anyone mentioning that one of the people Dave poo poo on was a goon?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1174437&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Oh god how did I miss this? A good read.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Because I prefer rusted root

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wintermutant posted:

It's crazy to me that that thread is almost 15 goddamned years old :corsair:

A classic.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dave Matthews is like elevator music but with words

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vyst posted:

Dave Matthews is like elevator music but with words

It’s this. It’s music you hear in the supermarket or at the dentist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Dave Matthews from what I've seen is a real nice and humble dude.

If that's true then why did he name his band after himself

I've never listened to their music but it seems kind of arrogant.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

dave matthews is like eating pureed carrots in your stained diapies because you are a fuckin baby who is dumb.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
It's just the anti-white-straight-male sentiment that's all the craze lately

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

white guy + acoustic guitar + teva sandals = euthanize

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
They're not bad. I still think a few of the songs off Under the Table and Dreaming are ok.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Everyone in my HS loved dmb and would never shut the gently caress up about it. I graduated in 2000.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

My girlfriend put it perfectly when a DMB song came up on one of her Spotify playlists.

“I don’t hate Dave Matthews Band. I kinda like some of their stuff. I just don’t want anyone to know that I like it.”

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Pookum posted:

you can type a lot better with two hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

the drummer was p. good