Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
How do you know they haven't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

At the very least Day of the Dolphin is a lot different in this timeline.

I probably only caught this since I'm also following the other LP and read the line, but I have to laugh at bad proofreading when it makes something come out funny: Vella says, "this goes against all the better judgment I have in me but, can you ..."

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Yo, Alex staring at the player and monologuing about his gender studies ex and then loving metaphysics was way more than I was ready to buy in for. Like, that was kind of a lot.

All that exposition in that cutscene reminds me of something my friend in college said about Lovecraft, which is that, for a professional writer, he really liked using the word "indescribable" a lot. And there's some fuckin Twin Peaks piano track in the background?? Holy poo poo dude.

...Also I hate Michael so, so much. He and Alex wholeheartedly deserve each other.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm not sure why I continue to subject myself to pain.

Please tell me the game doesn't descend to these levels again. (I'm aware it gets worse in various aspects, but hopefully it doesn't do that for dialogue or monologue.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This game reminded me that I don't think I've ever really had deep dish pizza, and I'd like to try it sometime.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Solitair posted:

This game reminded me that I don't think I've ever really had deep dish pizza, and I'd like to try it sometime.

Don't bother. Imagine pizza's incredients, but it's the thickness of a casserole, and it's either way too hot and you burn your mouth on the sauce or its way too cold and all the cheese is congealed and nasty. It's pretty underwhelming for all the hype it gets when you visit Chicago and it's no surprise it's not spread much elsewhere.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, on following up from my previous question about voice acting...

Michael is played by Clifford Chapin, a relatively voice actor but with a long list of performance and ADR directing credits. While Alex is way too self-indulgent with the monologues and exposition, Michael just kind of comes off as an unrepentant jerk to people because they're...older than him? And he still hangs out with them willingly? I don't dislike the performance, but I hope the character undergoes some changes as the story goes on.

Vella is played by Melanie Ehrlich, who has a few live TV and VO credits to her name. I liked her performance at first, but I can tell that it really suffers when she has to deliver dry explanations about metaphysics and her superpowers. I imagine it's too much to hope that this trend doesn't continue, but if my reactions to last episode are any indication then if they do I hope to provide entertaining reactions to it.

I've survived Pier Paolo Pasolini and Terence Malick movies. I can survive ACKK Studios games.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ModeWondershot posted:

So, on following up from my previous question about voice acting...

Michael is played by Clifford Chapin, a relatively voice actor but with a long list of performance and ADR directing credits. While Alex is way too self-indulgent with the monologues and exposition, Michael just kind of comes off as an unrepentant jerk to people because they're...older than him? And he still hangs out with them willingly? I don't dislike the performance, but I hope the character undergoes some changes as the story goes on.

Vella is played by Melanie Ehrlich, who has a few live TV and VO credits to her name. I liked her performance at first, but I can tell that it really suffers when she has to deliver dry explanations about metaphysics and her superpowers. I imagine it's too much to hope that this trend doesn't continue, but if my reactions to last episode are any indication then if they do I hope to provide entertaining reactions to it.

I've survived Pier Paolo Pasolini and Terence Malick movies. I can survive ACKK Studios games.

IT. GETS. WORSE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Again, I think it’s mildly appropriate that Alex is voiced by Kirbopher, aka Christopher Niosi. A dude with a history of being a toxic creep to women being voiced by a dude with a history of being a toxic creep to women is just beautifully on the nose.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

diacorn posted:

This game seems to drastically overestimate my level of interest in exposition.

It also seems to not realize that exposition inevitably leads to people actually thinking about the universe of the game and wondering, for example, why the military hasn't weaponized keytars in this setting.

Like the worst part is they'll go over the exposition in super over-agonizing detail, but then when it gets to stuff establishing character and the like, they just gloss over it in narration and not actually show any of it at all. Like all the stuff about Vella reacting to them telling her about the Starmen.

EDIT: Also, drat, Vella's VA seems the best by far in this game. And she's not good.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 3, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god they're going full metaphysics. You never go full metaphysics.

Postmodernism is a magnet for worthless disappeared-up-its-own-rear end commentary on nothing in particular, but at least that's mostly a function of it being either misunderstood or misapplied; the thing itself is a relatively well defined concept that actually means something and has examples you can point at and lessons you can learn from it.

Metaphysics, on the other hand. The thing with metaphysics is that it's like the dregs of philosophy.

Lots of things used to be philosophy, because philosophy was that one thing that people could do that let them learn and teach things and generally work at knowledge. And humans figured out so much poo poo that we started categorising it into more and more tightly defined disciplines; we used to have "natural philosophy", and now we have geography, and biology, and astronomy, and whatever else. So there's not a lot left that's still, like, broadly considered philosophy philosophy. If you walk into a college and start attending philosophy lectures, what you'll mostly end up learning is logic, ethics, critical thinking, and metaphysics. Logic is kinda sorta subsumed by mathematics and computer science these days, because, well, it kinda underpins a lot of those things. Ethics is largely subsumed by politics in all of its practical senses; philosophers have been At This for millenia and it's turned out it's remarkably difficult to put forward any purely philosophical theory of ethics that doesn't boil down to either "because god" or "intuitionism", so most of the practically useful applications of Ethics consider it from the point of view of the law. But logic and ethics, primarily of concern to followers of other disciplines as they are, are still pretty definably philosophy, because they attempt to apply pure thought (insofar as we can conceive of such a thing) to otherwise very practical subjects. Critical thinking is more outwardly philosophical but also remains very much a practice of reason; fundamentally, it is a really quite compact set of principles that allow you to reason in the absence of knowledge - technically redundant in philosophy because the end goal is always just "get the knowledge" but of enormous practical use to everyone ever, given how often we are called upon to have opinions on things which we know nothing about. But then there's metaphysics. Metaphysics is characterised by the biggest red flag a philosophical discipline can have; it's only of interest to philosophers.

You'll notice that I haven't actually said what Metaphysics is. That's because it doesn't matter and nobody loving cares.

But fine. "Physics", etymologically, basically just means "nature". Metaphysics, is "the nature of nature". Physics is the study of things that are real. Metaphysics is the study of what "real" is. See? We've already descended into wank. If you keep going, you'll find some admittedly philosophically tantalising concepts are involved, such as the question of free will and substance dualism, alongside a lot of dull poo poo like essentialism. The thing that all of these sub-branches of metaphysics have in common is that they don't matter. By definition, they cannot matter. It's the alternative medicine of philosophy; if there had ever existed any application for, or any other thing that hinged on, these concepts, they would not be metaphysics - they would just be, like, ordinary physics. If ever a metaphysicist were to discover something "about" reality, that was outside of reality, that thing would be reality, just as if a priest were to prove that a miracle were scientifically possible it would cease to be a miracle.

These notions are what's left behind now that, after thousands of years of thought, all of the multitudes of actual great poo poo that philosophy has given us have all flourished and taken up lives of their own. Philosophy has kept a grip on logic, ethics, and critical thinking because they are very much philosophical practices that happen to be of enormous use in other purposes. But metaphysics - nobody wants metaphysics. Nobody has ever wanted metaphysics.

...Except! It happens to be a pretty good ground for certain kinds of speculative fiction. There, we can say, "what if this stuff did matter, and someone found an answer?". There, we can employ careful worldbuilding to establish new frameworks for what reality is, and use those worlds to tell stories in which we explore branching quantum multitimelines or project our souls into other bodies or grapple with profound truths, and explore what these metaphysical possibilities might mean.

For more or less any work to start leaning into metaphysics means we can start expecting some pretty blunt assertions about what "reality" is within that work. For a videogame that bills itself as "postmodern" to do so means it's going to start comparing its exotic reality to a videogame. Because this is YIIK, I now fully expect the entirety of YIIK to be canon within YIIK. Alex is probably spawning interlocking realities just by existing and blundering between them or some poo poo, I don't loving know.

Don't gently caress with metaphysics.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Fedule posted:

I can see Alex saying this but completely unironically, while staring at the player mid-monologue.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Blue Labrador posted:

I can see Alex saying this but completely unironically, while staring at the player mid-monologue.

It would 100% be Vella.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
ALEX: (to player) I didn't know exactly what "metaphysics" was. I'm pretty sure nobody does. It's one of those words people like to throw out to sound clever, like saying "cognizant" instead of "aware" and "utilize" instead of "use". In this case, "metaphysics" is a substitute for some random garbage like the stuff they say on Star Trek. It doesn't mean anything, but because it's in a setting where weird things are already happening, the audience is just supposed to accept it. I expect the next thing she says is going to involve reversing the polarity of a neutron flow or hoopy frood towel fish. The thing is, it IS happening. All the weird stuff she's talking about is stuff that I've seen for myself. Granted, I still don't understand a bit of it, but I can't doubt that any of it is true, and I don't know nearly enough to hold a meaningful discussion that might lead to any different conclusion. So the bottom line is that I just have to take it as read that I'm never going to understand the universe again, and the closest thing I have to a link back to reality is a coin changer with a killer guitar and the ability to rip holes in space. Okay, I guess that's as good an idea of metaphysics as I could possibly care to have, and I, for one, don't want anything to do with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I'm going to have a choice.

It's probably missing a flashback to a donut shop he visited as a kid and a few choice misogynistic lines, but I'm tired.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fedule posted:

I'd take metaphysics in a heartbeat before I'd ever go through meta-ethics again.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

The blue numbers are basically just the game counting out your combo, at least as far as I know. For example, Micheal had a combo of 2 so the game does two "hits" with sound effects to accompany it. I assumed that it was meant as a sorta placebo effect to trick you into thinking you're doing more damage than you're actually doing.

Also, it would be a pretty good idea to put your points into LUK>STR>HP>PP

Also also, Panda Barrier usually ends on Alex's next turn, but sometimes it'll last another round. It is also one of the most broken skills in the game as it nulls ALL damage and skips the dodging minigame.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 6, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Blind Sally posted:

I'd take metaphysics in a heartbeat before I'd ever go through meta-ethics again.

Aw come on, meta-ethics isn't that bad. It, like metaphysics, can be prone to disappearing up its own rear end if you let it, because it's, uh, a tad abstract, but the basics aren't complicated and the implications are basically universal. Hurrah, meta-ethics.

I cannot believe how astonishingly stupid the system for levelling Alex up is. Even if you accept the pretext of receiving a (random?) bunch of tokens and adding them to selected stats, that should happen in a menu that you can click through in like two seconds per level if you want. And there is like zero reason for this to be confined to a special area you have to go to rather than happening automatically as you gain EXP. Presumably they're going to have some sort of justification for Marlene being there and talking about whatever but, y'know, it's kinda the job of the writer to work that into the plot along with "doesn't make the game unplayable".

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fedule posted:

And there is like zero reason for this to be confined to a special area you have to go to rather than happening automatically as you gain EXP.

Sure there is, it's to feed you astonishingly long text conversations with a crow that lead nowhere but sound deep.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Fedule posted:

I cannot believe how astonishingly stupid the system for levelling Alex up is. Even if you accept the pretext of receiving a (random?) bunch of tokens and adding them to selected stats, that should happen in a menu that you can click through in like two seconds per level if you want. And there is like zero reason for this to be confined to a special area you have to go to rather than happening automatically as you gain EXP. Presumably they're going to have some sort of justification for Marlene being there and talking about whatever but, y'know, it's kinda the job of the writer to work that into the plot along with "doesn't make the game unplayable".

It's one of those things where I kind of liked it at first but yeah, it gets stupider the more I think about it. Another case of this game being composed of mostly parts of good ideas executed terribly. A case of unrealized potential being worse than just no potential.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sure there is, it's to feed you astonishingly long text conversations with a crow that lead nowhere but sound deep.

Marlene even sort of mentions that he is just trying to sound deep at one point. Again, there is nothing to the self-critique in the game's monologuing beyond just pointing out its uselessness, making a weak self-deprecating comment and then just moving on to the next one.

Oh, and Marlene is apparently Daman Mills, the current voice of Dragon Ball Super's Frieza. This game's voice talent is absolutely wasted on its material.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

That electronic noise percussion track could maybe work if it was used in a different place than a random battle that's indistinguishable from the other ones in the video.. Is the game just picking random songs every time, or is there some reason different songs play in different fights?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ModeWondershot posted:

Marlene even sort of mentions that he is just trying to sound deep at one point. Again, there is nothing to the self-critique in the game's monologuing beyond just pointing out its uselessness, making a weak self-deprecating comment and then just moving on to the next one.

Yeah you don't get credit for being self-depreciating when you keep doing the thing being depreciated ad nauseum.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a standard stat allocation leveling system but significantly more tedious.

:actually: "It's X but significantly more tedious" could describe a lot of things about this game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

To preface, I did not play terribly far and I consider myself to be someone who works to try to justify things in the media I consume.

Alex isn't supposed to be likeable right? Like, they set him up perfectly to be this airy dipshit who huffs his own farts and treats everything in this self-centered way where every bit of misery that happens to other people is framed in how it effects him and not the actual victims and I thought that really was going to tee-up a character across the whole game of him stepping into the role of JRPG hero.

Am I stretching here? Does this not happen?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, he absolutely is supposed to be a flawed character who offends those around him and gets called out for it, but the game is very quick to forgive him and make every situation revolved around him. When EVERY SINGLE situation is accompanied by drawn-out internal dialogue from Alex about how He feels about the situation and how it affected Him, it goes past commentary on that kind of thing and just... Is that thing.

I think the best example are the references to Two Brothers, the devs' previous (buggy, abandoned) game. Yes, there's one part where Alex mentions the game and Michael blows him off, having never heard of it. That one self-depreciating moment does not forgive the fact that Alex brought up the game, there are statues of the characters from the game in the middle of the town, and he wears a t-shirt of the game you are always staring at in both the dialogue art and the game models.

"Boy, isn't it dumb I stick my finger up my butt? Ha, yep, I'm a hoot." says Mr. Finger Up His Butt, as he actively searches for dingleberries and wears his favorite hat saying "#1 Fan of Poop Fingers".

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Pladdicus posted:

Alex isn't supposed to be likeable right? Like, they set him up perfectly to be this airy dipshit who huffs his own farts and treats everything in this self-centered way where every bit of misery that happens to other people is framed in how it effects him and not the actual victims and I thought that really was going to tee-up a character across the whole game of him stepping into the role of JRPG hero.

I see where you're coming from and agree that this is absolutely supposed to be the case. However, the thing I think we are trying to get at is that his unpleasantness and irritating penchant for monologue is both pervasive through every interaction with him and isn't particularly compelling to the narrative. We are also seeing this trend where anytime the story seems to critique that attitude or his behaviour, it seems to be purely for the sake of a one-off joke and hasn't motivated even a small change on his part. Even going on this adventure, he had to be convinced by Panda to get involved, and even if we read Panda as a manifestation of his repressed thoughts, the fact that they are externalized means that it comes across as not even being Alex's decision to go on this journey.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think the best example are the references to Two Brothers, the devs' previous (buggy, abandoned) game. Yes, there's one part where Alex mentions the game and Michael blows him off, having never heard of it. That one self-depreciating moment does not forgive the fact that Alex brought up the game, there are statues of the characters from the game in the middle of the town, and he wears a t-shirt of the game you are always staring at in both the dialogue art and the game models.

Something that strikes me about that particular self-deprecating joke in retrospect is how toothless it is. The extent of the critique was Michael going "that game has a bad name, the creators should name their games better."

It honestly would have been remarkable if the self-deprecating gag didn't pull its punches. If Michael's reaction to the mention of Two Brothers was "Oh, that buggy piece of poo poo that got pulled from shelves because the creators were too lazy to make a working game? Yeah, that was sure a waste of everyone's time, wasn't it?" I think it would have actually been kind of funny, and hopefully foreshadowed the point at which the characters use that kind of humour as an impetus to change themselves.

I think if there is anything close to a theme throughout the game as presented by its story and mechanics, it's that making an effort to achieve good results is hard and wallowing in mediocrity is :actually: the way to go.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And keep in mind that if it wasn't buggy, Two Brothers was a pretty decent game for its time. It had some interesting ideas and it played with expectations, certainly not as well as you would have hoped, but it wasn't nearly as disappointing as YIIK (which is why I'm surprised by the quality of the mechanics, Ackk can do better than this).

The problem is that I don't think Ackk will ever re-release Two Brothers/Chromophore because of that "for its time" suffix. The ideas that Two Brothers had, messing with the player through glitchy effects, were done a lot better in later games like Undertale and Pony Island. I think Ackk realized that they missed the train for the game's re-release and I expect it will stay stuck in limbo. So why they're trying to wallpaper their new game with it is beyond me.

EDIT: Actually speaking of Pony Island, The Hex had a bunch of references to Pony Island but they weren't as in-your-face as the Two Brothers poo poo. Like you just had the coin sidequest and Louie, it wasn't like HEY DID YOU KNOW THERE WAS A GAME FROM DAN MULLINS GAMES CALLED PONY ISLAND MADE BY DAN MULLINS

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 8, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dont know where else to post this but the yIIk threads: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...t-him-1.5046933

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep, that's Alex all right. STILL not really a 1999-era aesthetic, despite what the game seems to think.

By the way, why do multiple characters (Michael and Rory) wear basically the exact same striped shirt? Is it because of Earthbound nostalgia, to look like Ness/Lucas/Claus? At least their striped shirts were different colors - it seems like bad character design to make two characters that similar, aside from their head/hair.

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

diacorn
Aug 6, 2016

Combat Lobster posted:

Also, it would be a pretty good idea to put your points into LUK>STR>HP>PP

Also also, Panda Barrier usually ends on Alex's next turn, but sometimes it'll last another round. It is also one of the most broken skills in the game as it nulls ALL damage and skips the dodging minigame.
Sure, why not.

And does the dodging minigame actually have serious consequences at some point for failure?

Solitair posted:

That electronic noise percussion track could maybe work if it was used in a different place than a random battle that's indistinguishable from the other ones in the video.. Is the game just picking random songs every time, or is there some reason different songs play in different fights?
No, it seems completely random thus far.

ModeWondershot posted:

Oh, and Marlene is apparently Daman Mills, the current voice of Dragon Ball Super's Frieza. This game's voice talent is absolutely wasted on its material.
Wow, they really did get some Grade A talent for this. It's unfortunate, too, because he's clearly trying to have fun with this game's completely awful script.

Pladdicus posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, he absolutely is supposed to be a flawed character who offends those around him and gets called out for it, but the game is very quick to forgive him and make every situation revolved around him. When EVERY SINGLE situation is accompanied by drawn-out internal dialogue from Alex about how He feels about the situation and how it affected Him, it goes past commentary on that kind of thing and just... Is that thing.

ModeWondershot posted:

I see where you're coming from and agree that this is absolutely supposed to be the case. However, the thing I think we are trying to get at is that his unpleasantness and irritating penchant for monologue is both pervasive through every interaction with him and isn't particularly compelling to the narrative. We are also seeing this trend where anytime the story seems to critique that attitude or his behaviour, it seems to be purely for the sake of a one-off joke and hasn't motivated even a small change on his part. Even going on this adventure, he had to be convinced by Panda to get involved, and even if we read Panda as a manifestation of his repressed thoughts, the fact that they are externalized means that it comes across as not even being Alex's decision to go on this journey.
This has basically been my read on the situation thus far, and it's something that ModeWondershot and I have discussed off camera.

I've been interpreting Panda not necessarily as a reflection of Alex's innermost thoughts or desires, but as an extraordinarily lovely life coach who just happens to be able to communicate directly with Alex and no one else. He's probably more Bruce Willis than actual character, though I would be willing to wager that the super-secret friend we received the R.E.M. call about was Panda in some form (and I don't just say that because the timbre of the voices is similar).

The game keeps having people chew Alex out for being a shithead, but we're about four hours in and I haven't seen a change in character. Setting up your RPG protagonist to be unlikable isn't a bad play by any stretch if the goal is to eventually push them out of their comfort zone so the audience can be rewarded for investing emotionally in them. The World Ends With You is a recent example of that strategy, though I'd argue that there's a lot more going on there than the main character just being a jerk (per my comments a few videos ago). The problem is that YIIK hasn't figured out that people who are invested in Alex and want to see him get better need to have received something for their trouble by now.

My guess is that they're going for a strategy where everything is explained at the end in such a way that it completely redeems Alex, not unlike Night in the Woods, another way better game that ModeWondershot and I have name-dropped on camera. That's at least an explainable character-writing strategy. I happened to dislike Night in the Woods because while the main character is made more sympathetic by a reveal late in the third act, none of what's talked about excuses of the lovely things the protagonist did in the game up to that point. I don't expect Alex has ever had a psychotic break, though, and thus doesn't really have a leg to stand on; he just appears to be irredeemably awful.

SSNeoman posted:

The ideas that Two Brothers had, messing with the player through glitchy effects, were done a lot better in later games like Undertale and Pony Island.
Pony Island is rad and I'd encourage everyone to play it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diacorn posted:

Sure, why not.

And does the dodging minigame actually have serious consequences at some point for failure?

No, it seems completely random thus far.

I second this. My boy became a MONSTER with LP toss when I built him that way.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

diacorn posted:

For just failing? Not really. You can probably just tank the hit and be fine; but later down the line (actually real soon) you will be up against enemies that can attack the whole party which means you have to do the dodging minigame for each party member (Maximum of 4) for just that one attack. So worst case scenario with four enemies with this AOE attack, you would have to do 16 dodging minigames for one whole round.

VVV: Well you still get DEF from gear, but yeah Alex will be a bit squishy. I think the HP will even him out.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 9, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Combat Lobster posted:

For just failing? Not really. You can probably just tank the hit and be fine; but later down the line you will be up against enemies that can attack the whole party which means you have to do the dodging minigame for each party member (Maximum of 4) for just that one attack. So worst case scenario with four enemies with this AOE attack, you would have to do 16 dodging minigames for one whole round.

That and if you build in the manner to which we suggested, Alex has no Def and gets WRECKED.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Neat how the name on that memorial was apparently 'washed away by the rain' when the memorial is clearly under enough cover that I'd say rain heavy enough to affect it that way would completely ruin the graveyard at the least.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

doesn't alex have enough money from random battles to pay for a cab

edit: this soundtrack really is all over the place isn't it

Solitair fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 9, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Really, the worst, most bizarre thing has to be the sound design. The bizarre shifts in recording quality on the voice acting, the widely varying quality and styles of the soundtrack, the completely tone deaf use of music, how music at times makes the voices unlistenable, etc.

The writing and game design are absolutely flawed but the sheer sonic incompetence on display is amazing to marvel at.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Windtown looked pretty promising at first. A run-down forgotten town where everyone is hopeless and struggling to get by. Of course, all this is ignored by the party and the town ends up as an excuse to throw multiple battles together, so it quickly outlives its welcome.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
On another aspect of the game that I didn't see anybody commenting so far...

Does it bother anybody else that the typography in the game is absolutely atrocious (and I'm not talking the in-game world stuff, I'm talking menus, dialogs and so on)--the text sizes and alignments are all over the place with no logical reasons. It just bothers me so much that the letters in the dialog boxes are not all properly aligned all on the same baseline. Normally I wouldn't be bothered if it seemed intentional or like there was some kind of a reason behind it, but here it just seems like nobody noticed or if they did, they couldn't be bothered to fix it. Don't even get me started on what the text looks like in the "not-Netscape" internet browser, that one is practically a crime against humanity! The text in the actual Netscape from that time period never looked like that--in fact other then some better font smoothing/antialiasing, it looked pretty much the same as it looks in a modern browser, the text rendering hasn't changed that much since then.

Oh, and about your confusion re Korean surname park Pak/Park. When written in Korean, it's definitely Pak (or Bak), but I guess pronunciation is not too far from how a British person would pronounce "Park", so... yeah. There is definitely no distinct "R" sound anywhere, however. The romanisation of Korean surnames gets a bit weird sometimes, like the common surname Lee, where in Korean pronunciation the initial L is not existing at all (although this one again has a long explanation why it's romanised like that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really, the worst, most bizarre thing has to be the sound design. The bizarre shifts in recording quality on the voice acting, the widely varying quality and styles of the soundtrack, the completely tone deaf use of music, how music at times makes the voices unlistenable, etc.

The writing and game design are absolutely flawed but the sheer sonic incompetence on display is amazing to marvel at.

It basically completely wastes some of the actually really good songs the game has by throwing them into situations where they ever have no impact or just plain don't fit. I think the only time a song has fit the boss fight has been the Golden Alpaca boss fight theme, and I'm convinced that was entirely by accident.

diacorn posted:

This has basically been my read on the situation thus far, and it's something that ModeWondershot and I have discussed off camera.

I've been interpreting Panda not necessarily as a reflection of Alex's innermost thoughts or desires, but as an extraordinarily lovely life coach who just happens to be able to communicate directly with Alex and no one else. He's probably more Bruce Willis than actual character, though I would be willing to wager that the super-secret friend we received the R.E.M. call about was Panda in some form (and I don't just say that because the timbre of the voices is similar).

The game keeps having people chew Alex out for being a shithead, but we're about four hours in and I haven't seen a change in character. Setting up your RPG protagonist to be unlikable isn't a bad play by any stretch if the goal is to eventually push them out of their comfort zone so the audience can be rewarded for investing emotionally in them. The World Ends With You is a recent example of that strategy, though I'd argue that there's a lot more going on there than the main character just being a jerk (per my comments a few videos ago). The problem is that YIIK hasn't figured out that people who are invested in Alex and want to see him get better need to have received something for their trouble by now.

My guess is that they're going for a strategy where everything is explained at the end in such a way that it completely redeems Alex, not unlike Night in the Woods, another way better game that ModeWondershot and I have name-dropped on camera. That's at least an explainable character-writing strategy. I happened to dislike Night in the Woods because while the main character is made more sympathetic by a reveal late in the third act, none of what's talked about excuses of the lovely things the protagonist did in the game up to that point. I don't expect Alex has ever had a psychotic break, though, and thus doesn't really have a leg to stand on; he just appears to be irredeemably awful.

Pony Island is rad and I'd encourage everyone to play it.

The World Ends With You actually HAD the story be about Neku changing through the adverse trials he went through. And even more importantly, his early assholishness was given immediate context as being definitely caused by the situation he found himself in. Unlike this awful game where it acts more like the people giving him poo poo for being poo poo have the problem and not Alex.

Oh, since you mentioned Night in the Woods, the devs are apparently working on new stuff to expand on the game and specifically that spoiler.