Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Trader Joe's is an extreme necessity in my area in summertime because every warm weather cocktail uses limes and TJ's sells bags of them for $1.50. Every other grocery store charges ludicrous prices like $1 per lime (sometimes 2/$1).

They're also handy for cheap, decent coffee, junk food, lamb vindaloo and naan (when I don't feel like actually cooking), and frozen berries for smoothies/cobbler. I was also able to get some liver pate there when I was making bahn mi sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dubplate Fire posted:

Aldis was founded by Trader Joe’s older brother, for real tho.

I thought it was their dad and then that plotline from a bad movie happened where the brothers couldn't agree on how it was ran once he was gone

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Their frozen fettuccini Alfredo is SO GOOD. You're supposed to cook it on the stove but I am lazy and just dump the thing in a bowl into the microwave--same effect. Please buy it, thank you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Didn't the same thing happen with Adidas/Puma? What is it with German sibling rivalries

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Didn't the same thing happen with Adidas/Puma? What is it with German sibling rivalries

Same thing happened with Berlin too

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

SeXReX posted:

I thought it was their dad and then that plotline from a bad movie happened where the brothers couldn't agree on how it was ran once he was gone

You might be right. All I know is that they are brothers.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Burn the heathen Joe's!

PBUC

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

my favorite trader joes junk food:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Joes usually has those fuckin ice cream mochi things those are pretty lit.

I'm a real sucker for the little thing if 2 slices of turtle cheesecake at aldi i get one basically every week

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

come on down to aldis where we dont even loving stock the shelves half the time. just go right up to the pallet and swipe your offbrand pringles right off the top of it. gently caress, just take the whole box! its only 3 dollars!

aldi's: everything must go!

You reminded me of Lisa B. with your dozen posts calling it Aldi's instead of Aldi but knocking Clancy's is just a step too far mister scroto turbosperg.

I went to a Trader Joe's for the first time recently (after driving 70 miles or so) and it was kind of a nightmare. I've been to small Asian markets that are bigger than the TJ we shopped at and it was a case of being in someone else's way or other people were in your way 100% of the time. Everything was really overpriced for what you got (5 egg rolls for $5? 3 packs (6 pastries total) of TJ poptarts for $4) and I don't recall anything we picked up being overly amazing or worth getting again. On the other hand, I have seen people post bad experiences in the Costco thread and mine have never been like that so I'm willing to hit up another location sometime just to see whether it's a better experience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Trader Joe's is an extreme necessity in my area in summertime because every warm weather cocktail uses limes and TJ's sells bags of them for $1.50. Every other grocery store charges ludicrous prices like $1 per lime (sometimes 2/$1).

They're also handy for cheap, decent coffee, junk food, lamb vindaloo and naan (when I don't feel like actually cooking), and frozen berries for smoothies/cobbler. I was also able to get some liver pate there when I was making bahn mi sandwiches.

Yeah for as bad as TJ produce is, I feel their herbs and easy things like Limes and Lemons are pretty good and often cheaper priced than most grocery stores. TJ can have a giant bundle of basil for like $1.50 whereas Safeway will often want $2.99 for some wilted pieces of poo poo. Avocados at TJ are usually just slightly cheaper than other places which often ask up to $2-3/ea, but still kinda pricey @ $1-$1.25/ea.

don't buy like broccoli or lettuce there tho.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Trader Joe's food is horrible for you, just as loaded with sodium and fat and poo poo like any other garbage American supermarket.

I don't know if this is the case in places where it's been established longer, but when it arrived to my state (maybe 15 years ago?) it was seen as a fun, funky health foods store just because there's hand-chalked sandwich boards and regional managers with grey ponytails. If you read the labels it's trash but I'm sure part of their marketing is "well we didn't SAY health foods, it's not our fault if you thought that" *releases 750cal per serving snack called hiker joe's alpine trail nosh*

e: still end up at tj's once a month and load up my freezer for cheap, but have to make myself stay away from any non-whole food because they do make delicious treats.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 11, 2019

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Aldi always has Avocado for like 70 cents or more less than the bigger chain and pretty much ALL of the avos in my state come from the same supplier so it's literally just paying less for the same poo poo lmao

Where's the "asian import store" thread I wanna talk about paying 78 cents for a pound of tofu thats the same brand as the three dollar stuff at whole foods

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Cheese and dairy - especially WM mozzarella, havarti with dill, smoked gouda, and european-style yogurt.

Both very good for a bottom-shelf price.

Nice soap for you users out there who aren't goons and thus do bathe.

Cheaper per ounce than coconut oil from other grocery stores.

The SP frites are the best thing in the frozen aisle.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Things that are good that I always buy at TJs:
chocolate chips
smoked salmon
shelf-stable heavy cream for cooking
dried juicy mango slices
pecans
green dragon hot sauce
toasted sesame oil
enchilada sauce
arrabiata sauce and mini dried ravioli
orange chicken
chicken gyoza
frozen hericot vert
whole milk mozz for pizzas
whole wheat pizza dough
penguin gummies with the liquid tummies
cut flowers
capers
3-packs of cheap chocolate bars for baking
big olive oil bottles that come with the pour spout

Things that are cool about TJs:
You can return anything! One time I got some jarred salsa and it just tasted like Pace it was terrible. They'll give you your money back on anyyyything
They treat employees pretty well which is why they're always so happy
Always a food and drink sample
You can buy single bottles of beer to try things instead of a whole 6er
They bring in some local products

Things that are not cool about TJs:
They discontinued the good chipotle hummus :( And boxed chopped tomatoes. And other things I don't remember
parking can be pretty bad cause they're always busy
that's about it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
They started carrying soup dumplings, and I'll be honest, they're not bad

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Tj was cheaper for produce in my college town they Publix. They also carried some baller rear end vanilla mints I miss.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the peppermint swirl cookies and cream ice cream that is only around for the holidays

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
TJs bags of dried apricots are godlike. they are basically sour candy.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Two other things I love from Trader Joe's:

Such a great green hot sauce on a sandwich or pasta!

Most of their dried fruit is excellent and in so much more varieties than Kroger, Meijer, etc.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

When I want to make homemade pizza but don’t want to make the dough this stuff is pretty dang good.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Guildenstern Mother posted:

They started carrying soup dumplings, and I'll be honest, they're not bad

they are pretty good but you only get like 6 loving tiny ones for like 4 bucks or some poo poo

i honestly would not shop at tj's as much as i do but they are the only grocery store within walking distance, which am i lucky enough to even have living in la, so i shop there most of the time. but as someone else said, most their produce and meat selection is poo poo, and other than that they dont have very many standards in normal not rear end expensive or large sizes. they should just be a specialty shop but they market as, well, a market. which is not at all true.

but still their fuckin dill pickles own, and i love me some dill pickles so, whatever

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 12, 2019

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

6 years ago they discontinued their lemon ginger ice cream and I’m still waiting for them to realize their foolish decision.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Damo posted:

but as someone else said, most their produce and meat selection is poo poo

This is true. TJs is good for the quirky poo poo we’ve all been posting. That’s about it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bring back the breakfast burritos.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Pug Rodeo posted:

When I want to make homemade pizza but don’t want to make the dough this stuff is pretty dang good.
Agreed. The wholemeal one (lurking in the background of your picture) isn't good though.

Lazypro tip - you can freeze the doughs and they're fine if you defrost them in the fridge starting the day before you want to use them. (This is useful if TJs isn't near your house and/or is a horrible crowded experience, you can buy 4 of everything and then not go back for a while.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pug Rodeo posted:

:yeah: make sure to let it come to room temp first for about 30 minutes or so.

i don't particularly care for their pizza sauce sadly, i think you could probably tweak it a bit with some additional seasonings but i usually make my own since that part is generally easy enough. they have good and cheap mozzarella to go with it too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Damo posted:

i honestly would not shop at tj's as much as i do but they are the only grocery store within walking distance, which am i lucky enough to even have living in la, so i shop there most of the time. but as someone else said, most their produce and meat selection is poo poo, and other than that they dont have very many standards in normal not rear end expensive or large sizes. they should just be a specialty shop but they market as, well, a market. which is not at all true.
they are definitely not a 1:1 replacement for a grocery store, but Safeway/Vons loving sucks major rear end and i hate shopping there.

I feel if you understand TJ though, you can really save quite a bit on groceries compared to them. Like the staples that Trader Joes does carry are often cheaper than name-brand stores, especially Safeway. Their cheeses are cheaper, herbs/limes/lemons/etc are cheaper, dried pastas and sauces are often cheaper or at least as cheap and taste better, canned goods like beans or coconut milk are cheaper, condiments are tasty and good value, nuts and dried fruit, other dairy and yogurt, alcohol, and even some meats if you're very careful.

What really makes TJ more expensive and add up is the blueberry covered acai chocolate peanutbutter specoloos cups goonbites, which admittingly, is very hard to resist sometimes.

If you can stick to that stuff, and if you have an actual cheap produce market to supplement and get stuff like tomatoes, lettuce, kale, broccoli, cauliflowers, carrots, etc then you'll be saving a decent amount. We don't have Aldi's in NorCal though or that would be even more ideal.

e: the holy trifecta of savings is of course Costco, TJ and a Produce market. It's just me and my gf in a small 1 br apartment so Costco is a bit tricky to work but we'll get our paper towels, tp, other household supplies, some cheeses that last like feta/parmesan, some produce, flour/sugar/rice/etc there and sometimes eggs/milk--usually a trip once a month. But most meat and cheeses is just too much before it goes bad and since I'm the only one that eats meat it's pretty hard to make that work even freezing some of it. Plus Costco is busy as hell so it's a more rare thing. Then we usually hit up TJ about once a week or so for maintenance staples like eggs/milk/dairy/canned and then produce market about once or twice a week for vegetables. I'm probably in the minority or maybe the target demographic but as the only meat-eater, TJ is almost perfect for me because it's small portions but also about average price/oz on a lot of it so I'm not getting a totally raw deal buying it but yeah it's not the best quality compared to 'co.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 12, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

People getting real serious about trader Jose

E. But yea, their dried fruit (apricots, tart cherries, and mango), granola, cheese sections are dope. Their cocoa hazelnut spread some peanut butter on a spoon is like eating a reeses’ cup; upgrade your life.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 12, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah like Trader Joes owns but it's real strength is combo'd with Costco and other stores.

Those dark chocolate peanut butter cups goddamn

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

did you like that one quest in fallout 3 where you had to go to the super duper mart to scavenge for food? and you took the quest too early so you spent 3 hours getting worked over by the local wasteland toughs? well boy oh boy does the aesthetic and staff of your local aldi's have a surprise for you

aldi's. aldi's never changes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Stopped into a TJ's today because they're like, two blocks from my dentist's office. I held off on buying anything egregious, but holy poo poo horseradish hummus?!

I'm used to getting hummus that sounds amazing but is kind of a letdown, but that stuff is :discourse:. The banh mi tofu bowl wasn't half-bad either.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Trader Joe's is pretty great and all but whoever it was on the first page that remarked, "don't get attached to your favorite stuff at TJ's because they'll discontinue or replace it" was spot on.

I was getting stroopwaffle from Trader Joe's for like $4/tin of 12 because the only other game in town sells them for $2/one stroopwaffle and as soon as the generic winter holiday poo poo ended so went the stroopwaffles.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
How are their tendies, appies, and, uh, lollies?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

frogge posted:

Trader Joe's is pretty great and all but whoever it was on the first page that remarked, "don't get attached to your favorite stuff at TJ's because they'll discontinue or replace it" was spot on.

I was getting stroopwaffle from Trader Joe's for like $4/tin of 12 because the only other game in town sells them for $2/one stroopwaffle and as soon as the generic winter holiday poo poo ended so went the stroopwaffles.

They're basically the scraps and dregs of better brands, so if they stop making the name-brand one then they'll stop making the trader joes leftovers too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I used to buy coffee at trader Joe's but I stopped because of the extra $30 worth of junk food that always winds up in my cart somehow

Their house blends are good and blue moon is some nice flavorful volcano coffee for a good price if you wanna get fancy. Their kona is expensive and sucks though

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

holy loving poo poo, these things :swoon:

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
There isn’t a Trader Joe’s super near me (25 minutes away but I can’t be bothered). So my parents always give me a bunch of poo poo from there for Christmas. Their green curry simmer sauce is the best.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

There isn’t a Trader Joe’s super near me (25 minutes away but I can’t be bothered). So my parents always give me a bunch of poo poo from there for Christmas. Their green curry simmer sauce is the best.

Their Indian food is SO GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Genesplicer posted:

I've liked things from Trader Joe's, but I've learned not to really like things from there, because every time I really like something, it gets discontinued. Every single time.

Like prohibition?