Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So, is the original SNES Star Fox about James, then? I've only ever played 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

So, is the original SNES Star Fox about James, then? I've only ever played 64.

No. 64 is a soft remake of the original StarFox, and bits of StarFox 2, for that matter. From a story standpoint, StarFox 64 pretty much replaces the original outright, and every subsequent game (that’s also not a soft reboot like Zero) builds off StarFox 64 rather than SNES StarFox.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I read the wiki for star fox and my god the writing of this game series gets terrible.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Discendo Vox posted:

I read the wiki for star fox and my god the writing of this game series gets terrible.

It's almost as though the plot was an afterthought by Nintendo but after they made a really good rail shooter game that received universal acclaim they had to invent some to try and build on that success.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It's kind of funny that people were very critical of the series getting rebooted again when Zero came out. Mario and Zelda generally tell the same story over and over again, but don't get as much flack for it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

TheFattestPat posted:

It's kind of funny that people were very critical of the series getting rebooted again when Zero came out. Mario and Zelda generally tell the same story over and over again, but don't get as much flack for it.

True, but Mario and Zelda don't really worry about a consistent continuity (despite how much us Zelda fans like to talk about it). Star Fox had something of an ongoing story/character evolution that a lot of people were actually invested in, but Nintendo jumped ship on it and didn't exactly replace it with anything anyone wanted.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's also probably a factor that Mario and Link (and Samus and...) keep going to new and exciting settings, while every Star Fox game is just "Fortuna/Fichina...again!".

Except for Adventures, of course, but that's one of the most boring games I ever played, sooo...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should crib off BotW: Open world Star Fox game (in space, NOT like Adventures) where Fox does quests to try and clear his debt from the arwings.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's such a shame Zero had a game-killing gimmick. Miyamoto really needs to learn that not every series needs new gimmicks shoved in for every installment.
Playing that game in coop was a lot of fun if you were holding the pro controller instead of the gamepad.

As for the story of the series, didn't they try continueing it in Assault and Command? Command had all the funny joke endings, at least.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Some of Commands endings looked like they were from different ideas about where to take the story. They had stuff like Falco forming his own team, Krystal joining Star Wolf, and everyone's kids forming a new generation of Star Fox. Dash, Andross' grandson, had some interesting potential. Unlike Andrew he was not a loser, and since he was still young and impressionable he could either end up protecting the Lylat System with Star Fox, or pick up where Andross left off.

Maybe Nintendo should have used those ideas instead of giving us 9 random endings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Star Fox is Nintendo's Star Wars, they can't have them leaving the Lylat system and dealing with other problems or something. That's crazy!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Star Fox is Nintendo's Star Wars, they can't have them leaving the Lylat system and dealing with other problems or something. That's crazy!

Starlink is, amusingly, the best Star Fox game we've gotten in a long time. And what do you know, it features the Star Fox team having left Lylat to deal with a problem. Admittedly, a problem that came FROM Lylat, but then they help with ANOTHER problem.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I guess the issue for me is that the series is overwhelmingly a rail shooter with none of the infra in place to support effectively selling any substantive character development that can't happen while your character is in a fighter jet or tank, or character interactions not conveyed through talking heads over gameplay. It can't support the weird character relationship drama with funny animal characters that speak in sound effects. The tone gap feels...Pendersian, almost. That's too harsh, but...not by too much.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 17, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Starlink is, amusingly, the best Star Fox game we've gotten in a long time. And what do you know, it features the Star Fox team having left Lylat to deal with a problem. Admittedly, a problem that came FROM Lylat, but then they help with ANOTHER problem.

Oh, I totally forgot about Starlink. I thought the Nintendo crossover had as much bearing on the game as Bayonetta's Link, Peach, and Samus cosplays. Or Ryu and Dante being in Monster Hunter. Guess I was both wrong and have a bad memory about things!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
This thread has done a good job making me want to buy Starlink, so far...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Assault did one thing gloriously right - it opened with Andrew trying to lead the remnants of Andross's fleet in another attack and being stomped utterly by the Cornerians.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Medium Route

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!

(Okay, apparently he's named after Bill Pullman, who played the president in Independence Day. That tracks.)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I also always thought Bill was a mouse when I was a kid. It's definitely the ears.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
"Fox flew in, killed a bunch of our own guys and the academy got blown up anyways"

"And how many of the enemy did he blow up?

"...143?"

"Alright, add that to Fox's cheque"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Guys would you stop talking?! Your health doesn't drop down from they heat if you aren't!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Somewhat disappointed you didn't fly through the asteroid field warp rings in first-person camera :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

Somewhat disappointed you didn't fly through the asteroid field warp rings in first-person camera :v:

Having played through the entire game in first-person multiple times, can vouch that is really difficult.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Is there anyone out there who enjoys Solar?

Also if Solar is not the Sun, then where is the Sun?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I loved Solar as a kid, because it was a nice breather of sorts after the (for me) tough time limit of Fortuna, and even Meteo is a little tougher, I feel like.

Flying over the sun's lava seas is also amazing and cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheFattestPat posted:

Is there anyone out there who enjoys Solar?

Also if Solar is not the Sun, then where is the Sun?

I think one game tried to explain it as a weird planet or red dwarf of something instead of the sun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Solar is cool and good. It's got a fun unique mechanic and it's only real problem is medal runs where the heavy, fixed damage your allies take by talking. If you could patch them up on the go too it wouldn't be a problem.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The actual star of the Lylat system is supposedly a big blue star also called Lylat, though it apparently hasn't made any official appearances in the games. It shows up in Star Fox 2, but that game was cancelled before release so it's status as canon is questionable. Apparently the official answer is that Lylat is the star, and Solar is just a molten planet that never cooled down for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ousire posted:

The actual star of the Lylat system is supposedly a big blue star also called Lylat, though it apparently hasn't made any official appearances in the games. It shows up in Star Fox 2, but that game was cancelled before release so it's status as canon is questionable. Apparently the official answer is that Lylat is the star, and Solar is just a molten planet that never cooled down for some reason.

This dude did a great theoretical map of what the Lylat system's orbital orientation is. Basically the "proper" Lylat system consists of the star Lylat, and then Macbeth, Zoness, Katina, Corneria and Sauira orbiting in each others L3 lagrange points on the same orbital path, then Aquas, the asteroid belt, Titania and Fichina. Solar is a "hot Jupiter" brown dwarf gas giant that never cooled and orbits Lylat in an elliptical orbit, with Venom basically acting as its moon.

The in-universe explanation for why Solar is why it is is actually mentioned in the guide book for StarFox 64. Solar was supposed to be just another planet in the Lylat system, but because it's trapped in the middle of Sector X, Y, and Z, some space magic bullshit from the three nebula prevented it from cooling so now it's basically a second sun for the system.

Also for the record, the guy who did the map I linked also did a really great map of the Kharak System from Homeworld if there's any fans of that series interested in that too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 20, 2019

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I believe the official player's guide for Star Fox 64 mentions that Andross put a bioweapon on Solar just to prove that he could. Good old mad scientists.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

This dude did a great theoretical map of what the Lylat system's orbital orientation is. Basically the "proper" Lylat system consists of the star Lylat, and then Macbeth, Zoness, Katina, Corneria and Sauira orbiting in each others L3 lagrange points on the same orbital path, then Aquas, the asteroid belt, Titania and Fichina. Solar is a "hot Jupiter" brown dwarf gas giant that never cooled and orbits Lylat in an elliptical orbit, with Venom basically acting as its moon.

The in-universe explanation for why Solar is why it is is actually mentioned in the guide book for StarFox 64. Solar was supposed to be just another planet in the Lylat system, but because it's trapped in the middle of Sector X, Y, and Z, some space magic bullshit from the three nebula prevented it from cooling so now it's basically a second sun for the system.

Also for the record, the guy who did the map I linked also did a really great map of the Kharak System from Homeworld if there's any fans of that series interested in that too.

I seem to recall the strategy guide having a lot of really neat/cool - to me at the time anyway - fluff material like that poo poo - even the gravity of planets and poo poo. Most of all I remember that it actually had names for all (most?) of the enemy ship classes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I seem to recall the strategy guide having a lot of really neat/cool - to me at the time anyway - fluff material like that poo poo - even the gravity of planets and poo poo. Most of all I remember that it actually had names for all (most?) of the enemy ship classes.

It did indeed. Unfortunately I sold my copy of it to a used game store a few years back after I misplaced my N64 and all its accessories and games, but I remember reading it cover to cover because as a kid I was so engrossed in its worldbuilding.

One detail that really stood out was how the enemies on Katina (the Intruder II's) were intentionally painted in the same colour scheme by the Venomian forces as the Cornerian Defense Force fighters in order to try and engineer blue-on-blue kills because they realized they were such pieces of crap that the only way they could be effective in battle was to send out a bajillion of them and try to trick the Cornerians into shooting their own team down in the furball.

It's was pretty great and well thought out for 90s video game manual lore.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 20, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you want to get realistic about it, there's no way that any of the inner planets would have a stable orbit if a dwarf star was passing near them regularly like that. There's a good reason exoplanetologists don't usually look for planets in binary systems.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Medium route ends with... mostly Easy route parts this time. But we get to blow up a train and examine my odd childhood brain beforehand!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I'm glad Sonic and Star Fox never crossed over, this could get confusing really quick.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I'm glad Sonic and Star Fox never crossed over, this could get confusing really quick.

Super Smash Bros.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I always considered playing through in first-person an interesting challenge. Rolling is a bit disorienting, so that takes some getting used to... but in some places (like the tunnel leading to Andross on easy-route Venom) it's actually easier to see what you're doing.

I don't quite remember, but I'm like 90% sure I've done all 3 main routes entirely in first person where the game actually allows it--though, there are places you can't use it. You're forced back into 3rd-person when the ships are in All-Range, and the Landmaster has no cockpit view at all. I can kind of see why with the Landmaster, but I'm not sure what the problem was with All-Range Mode. Too easy to get turned around, I guess?

I've read they removed the feature from Star Fox 64 3D entirely, which... also kind of makes sense, really.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
The one and only thing I think this game didn't really improve over its predecessor is the music. Star Fox SNES had Corneria, legit one of the most awesome tracks in a Nintendo game, but it also had its main theme woven throughout the soundtrack as a recurring motif that gives it this sort of identity that sticks with you. 64 seems like it went for a more cinematic approach, and it works well enough, but it just doesn't have the same impact. To me, at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Star Fox 64 whips absolute rear end and I played the game enough as a kid to not only get all medals on all stages, but to get all medals on Expert as well. Glad to see people in agreement that it holds up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Hard Route

The final stretch of the LP begins with Falco alive for once, some Shogundams, and a good soak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I swear it took me a year or more to learn that the Blue Marine even existed.