Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Sega CD was terrible but it DID give us sewer shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Saturn and Dreamcast were both a million times better than Genesis, and at least as good as their contemporaries. Unfortunately by that point the damage had already been done and nobody wanted to make games for Sega systems anymore.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Relayer posted:

Sega CD was terrible but it DID give us sewer shark.

the only game I remember playing on sega cd is wrestlemania.
I'm not even sure it was on a cd

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mr. Bones posted:

Saturn and Dreamcast were both a million times better than Genesis, and at least as good as their contemporaries. Unfortunately by that point the damage had already been done and nobody wanted to make games for Sega systems anymore.

one time I cut my thumb and made a blood pact with a guy who owned a sega saturn

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
A friend is doing ELT in Brazil, she teaches elementary school level. On her first day, the kids gathered around her and very eloquently asked her in English to "please tell us about the Console War"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ka0 posted:

A friend is doing ELT in Brazil, she teaches elementary school level. On her first day, the kids gathered around her and very eloquently asked her in English to "please tell us about the Console War"

that is pretty funny

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Relayer posted:

Toejam & Earl ruled so hard

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Was she able to go on?

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
i liked the genesis sounds that were all BLART BLRRNCH NRRRRRRK GRNK GRKN BLARRRRRR

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Roberto_Silencio posted:

i liked the genesis sounds that were all BLART BLRRNCH NRRRRRRK GRNK GRKN BLARRRRRR

I think your Genesis was broken, buddy :(

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Big Beef City posted:

Was she able to go on?

I sent her most of my gamepro/gameplayers/EGM magazines I had stashed on my garage, she said it was helpful because it's real English and also relevant to what her students wanna know about. I don't have any nintendo powers, that would've been interesting, in case someone else is interested in early 90s pipelined propaganda rags.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You can play an Atari 2600/7800 with a Sega Genesis controller.

Can’t do that with an SNES controller.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Genesis games sounded like a robot with diarrhea, but a lot of SNES games had those farty trumpets that made it sound like a mariachi band, so it's kind of a toss-up as to which one was worse.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I sent her most of my gamepro/gameplayers/EGM magazines I had stashed on my garage, she said it was helpful because it's real English and also relevant to what her students wanna know about. I don't have any nintendo powers, that would've been interesting, in case someone else is interested in early 90s pipelined propaganda rags.

I didn't think it was possible you were serious.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Mr. Bones posted:

Genesis games sounded like a robot with diarrhea, but a lot of SNES games had those farty trumpets that made it sound like a mariachi band, so it's kind of a toss-up as to which one was worse.

More precisely these loving mariachi trumpets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syeudRZuuMo

What the snes did great are those basslines like here in Super Turrican

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xirx0FDa-Rs

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVmPtr9O0g

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Angelwolf posted:

Sega does what NintenDON'T

Yeah,

sucks.

:smuggo:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Sega made Alien Soldier and Mazin Saga, which loving rule. However, they also have not continued making games based on these IPs, so they can lick my gooch.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

in the good dimension where everything isn't poo poo genesis won the console wars and is still making badass hardware and mario games are 75% off on steam instead of staying fifty bucks until the end of time

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big Beef City posted:

Was she able to go on?

I mean, I just.... I just can't even go shopping anymore. When I hear the register play the Sonic ring sound effect, my PTSD kicks in.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Mario is better than Sonic.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sonic never poops in the game. Mario eats and poops when he squats down the green pipes and chomps mushies. Sonic would have to poop sometime, maybe in the cutscenses, his metabolism is so high he should be running into a turd snake when he does the loopity loops.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
sega did what nintendidn't

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
man there was either a video game music thread or a genesis music thread a while back i cant remember. but either way people were trying way too hard to believe genesis music was good and only like 4 of the songs werent painful to hear

ill tell you one thing though. even though the colors sometimes seemed a little wrong in some genesis games i saw a screenshot of guiles stage in the genesis version of street fighter 2 and that sky was awesome

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

gary oldmans diary posted:

man there was either a video game music thread or a genesis music thread a while back i cant remember. but either way people were trying way too hard to believe genesis music was good and only like 4 of the songs werent painful to hear

:actually: the megadrive had the superior soundchip, the lack of well composed songs getting posted in a gbs thread shouldnt point fault at the technology jluk

I got a genesis second hand after the nintendo 64 came out and it was all i had until the ps2 was released. there were some cool games on it, but the same could be said about the snes. I never really understood the console wars at all tbh games are games :shrug:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

redm posted:

:actually: the megadrive had the superior soundchip
nah everything was twangy on genesis jluk

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
yea i got that you didnt like it, what I was saying was that it was literally capable of more than the snes one jluk

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

The Genesis controller only had 3 buttons and you had to press start to switch between punches and kicks in Street Fighter :wtf:

You had to buy a separate 6 button controller to be able to play it normally, yet another example of Sega making you buy more poo poo just to add basic functionality to the console.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Nintendo didn't go out of business while Sega did. OP checks out.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

redm posted:

yea i got that you didnt like it, what I was saying was that it was literally capable of more than the snes one jluk
jluk uh ok. i get that you like it as per your story
why cant it make anything sound crisp (serious question)? youre suggesting every single composer decided to go with the twangy sound on genesis or what?

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

jluk uh ok. i get that you like it as per your story
why cant it make anything sound crisp (serious question)? youre suggesting every single composer decided to go with the twangy sound on genesis or what?

i already made my point and i dont have the energy to argue extensively about 16 bit soundchips so you can try researching it yourself if you dont mind

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

pass me the popcorn because i am so ready for a megadrive thread to go from ironic to goony

e: nm it's already happening yesss

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

redm posted:

i already made my point and i dont have the energy to argue extensively about 16 bit soundchips so you can try researching it yourself if you dont mind
ill make a note of the point :confused: that you made for future reference. something about how you dont understand console wars but you had a genesis and therefor dislike criticism of it (peak console wars achieved)

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

ill make a note of the point :confused: that you made for future reference. something about how you dont understand console wars but you had a genesis and therefor dislike criticism of it (peak console wars achieved)

gotta get that last word in huh drat

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

allow me to explain why my preference for the chiptune on the sonic device is far superior compared to the tastes of sheeple such as yourself. you see,

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i know that CDs are technically more advanced than vinyls but i prefer the sound of dusty plastic because those ones and zeros are too twangy why cant you just get that through your head you elitist

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I had a Nomad, now imagine playing Mortal Kombat 1 on a 12 hour trip to Michigan.

And it dying 2 hours in because it needed 6 AAs.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

redm posted:

gotta get that last word in huh drat
im just talking. youre the one that announced their departure from the conversation and then immediately came back with this like conversational freeze tag rules are in effect

redm posted:

i know that CDs are technically more advanced than vinyls but i prefer the sound of dusty plastic because those ones and zeros are too twangy why cant you just get that through your head you elitist
yikes if you want to talk about soundchips this much then just do it and dont use metaphors

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

rear end TO rear end