Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Soccer is nice because it lets the rest of the world have a sport the USA doesn't dominate. Lame as it is, soccer seems to make them happy so let them have it. They don't seem to realize that the only reason we don't win the world cup every four years is because we are over saturated with far better sports. The men playing soccer professionally in the US are the kids who got cut from their schools cross country team. Also its funny to start arguments with huffy Europeans who like to argue that soccer is in fact far more cerebral, and complicated than American football.

Football is far more cerebral and complicated than gridiron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
It's ironic that you'd post this thread after 2 nights of some of the most gripping come-backs in forever

Like, americans whinge about low-scoring games that end 1-0; but this was a pair of very high-stakes games, both coming back from a 3 goal deficit; including a trick play to take the win.

Good footballs

e: lolling eternally at 'soccer'

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

soccer is in fact far more cerebral, and complicated than American football.

Taking a dump is more cerebral and complicated than american football, and you spend less time standing around doing nothing waiting for the adverts to finish

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

it is with deepest regrets that i have to inform you that the painfully stereotypical soccer fan above was hit by a 260lb(117.934kg) man moving at 20mph(32.1869kph) and has died a very bitch-made death may he rest in piss

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
To be fair pretty much every sport but one suffers badly from a severe case of not being hockey.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Nooner posted:

these guys were totally loving losing it just because they didnt make the playoffs

the Champions League is populated by the most successful teams from each european league in each year, so you can argue that the CL winner is the best team in the world. Ajax are a dutch team of young hopefuls, no real big celebrity names in their side, who have had a wonder run in the CL and were going through to the final until the literal last second.

imagine the browns having a great season and losing the AFC championship game to the patriots to a walk off touchdown, which is the closest comparison I can think of (idk about football)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

mods move all these posts bitching about soccer to the boomer thread

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Men should be ridiculed for having emotions, truly I am the rational sports fan.

Also 'futbol' is loving embarrassing, just call it soccer, it's short for association football, the actual name of the sport and anyone who mocks you for calling it soccer is a moron.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I like the part where they jog around and then it ends when the refs need to go to the bathroom or something and decide it’s over

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Space Race Riot posted:

I enjoy the hooligans, riots, stadium collapses and fence crushes but beyond that it's a really fuckin stupid game and boring as watching a cat take a poo poo. I'll amend that to I'd rather watch a cat take a poo poo than anything that's ever happened on a soccer field.

first off i guarantee a cat has taken a poo poo on a soccer field

secondly I guarantee some funny fuckin poo poo has gone down on them, which somebody will link it, and nobody will click

tyvm

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It's ironic that you'd post this thread after 2 nights of some of the most gripping come-backs in forever

Like, americans whinge about low-scoring games that end 1-0; but this was a pair of very high-stakes games, both coming back from a 3 goal deficit; including a trick play to take the win.

Good footballs

I love all the high scoring Bruins and red Sox games

although with the pitching rotation in Boston rn, some of the games could be considered high scoring, for the opposition

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

When I was a kid I went to a garden party hosted by David Seaman for some reason (I’ll ask my parents but I think it’s because my Dad was friends with his brother). It was right after the 2002 World Cup where everyone was blaming him for England losing and my Grandma was there cracking jokes about what a poo poo goalie he was oblivious to the fact that he was getting pissed lol. You know when someone’s acting like they’re not offended but you can tell that they’re absolutely seething on the inside.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Nooner posted:

HOW ABOUT THEM SHARKS BABY!!!!

Pavelski is from my home town! So exciting

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
'and he's bending it... bending... bending... it's... yes! he did it! it bent! it bent like beckham bent things! bendy baby oh yeah yeah bend me all night and day wooooOOOAAAAOOW!'

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mozi drank too much tea this am

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i just love soccer so much

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Chinatown posted:

has a soccer man ever poo poo he own pants while playing?

https://youtu.be/SIxnStPiOP0

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kecske posted:

imagine the browns having a great season and losing the AFC championship game to the patriots to a walk off touchdown, which is the closest comparison I can think of (idk about football)

Lol at comparing Tottenham “Participation Trophy” Hotspur to the Patriots

Chrs Gry posted:

When I was a kid I went to a garden party hosted by David Seaman for some reason (I’ll ask my parents but I think it’s because my Dad was friends with his brother). It was right after the 2002 World Cup where everyone was blaming him for England losing and my Grandma was there cracking jokes about what a poo poo goalie he was oblivious to the fact that he was getting pissed lol. You know when someone’s acting like they’re not offended but you can tell that they’re absolutely seething on the inside.

Tbf he got clowned

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChesterJT posted:

90 minutes goes by, 0-0 tie, handshakes all around!

If you don't shake hands at the end of the game whatever the scoreline you are scum.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
If europeans weep and knash and riot and have stadium brawls over soccer, just imagine how riled up they'd get watching a sport that was actually exciting. They'd watch one game of hockey and burn the entire continent down. It's for the best

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My Italian roommate literally shook the house with his yelling the other night lol

We thought someone was getting murdered but then we checked the date and it was a soccer game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DiggityDoink posted:

Golf is most certainly not a sport. It’s even more boring than soccer.

i agree with the not a sport part but i'd actually argue the second point, i'd much rather PLAY soccer but i'd sure as poo poo rather watch golf. i mean it's not something i'd ever go out of my way to watch but a bunch of hyper-landscaped courses on a beautiful day with some stats rolling by is pretty solidly better than watching people run around and occasionally act like they broke their leg for 90min

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cricket is 100x more exciting than soccer, I will watch a cricket game that lasts like 10 hours but soccer no thank you

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Blame your own upper class for coming up with that.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Why don't they let the players sub in and out so that they could run full speed instead of lightly jogging the whole game? That might make it slightly less of a garbage sport

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Nooner posted:

Cricket is 100x more exciting than soccer, I will watch a cricket game that lasts like 10 hours but soccer no thank you

Cricket is an excuse to drink for 10 hours

This is true for both watching and playing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

WatermelonGun posted:

lots to unpack here

Lololol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It really owns that the US just can't be made to give a poo poo about the really boring sport the rest of the world is obsessed with

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

has a soccer man ever poo poo he own pants while playing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUkQUAH3Yc

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

While I'm not really a soccer fan, I will say the crowds seem to be pretty awesome. The best you seem to get in the US is a good "rear end in a top hat" chant going, but they create entire songs making fun of the other team and players and it's great.

Edit: You do kind of get that with US college sports, but not really at the pro level.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Park, Park, wherever you may be
You eat dogs in your home country
But it could be worse, you could be Scouse
Eating rats in you council house

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Fabricated posted:

It really owns that the US just can't be made to give a poo poo about the really boring sport the rest of the world is obsessed with

considering how american fans it's probably for the best

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Whorelord posted:

considering how american fans it's probably for the best

all those american fans, throwing bananas onto the field

rioting and destroying stadiums on the reg

wait no that's all europe lol

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

Golf is most certainly not a sport. It’s even more boring than soccer.

it has a ball tho

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd be interested to see the breakdown of which sport has the largest contingent of actual neo-Nazis as fans

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fabricated posted:

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of which sport has the largest contingent of actual neo-Nazis as fans

Italian football, specifically Lazio

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Italian football

yeah it’s this

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Fabricated posted:

Because of Eastern Europe it's obviously soccer sadly.

edit: ah yes and certain italian clubs

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

food court bailiff posted:

yeah nah this is worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG-jMjvnua8&t=1s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

black man kneeling during a game causes half the country to boycott the sport while the president throws fuel into the fire with his tweets. still i'd rather take the great american culture wars infecting football than american fans with their ideas on how to improve the sport and going on with their advanced stats lmao.