Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I've watched that video 3 times since I posted it.

He doesn't say Vega, unless his pronunciation is:

PHVAYJ

Which is nowhere near Vega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

PHVAYJ

He says Vega, it's just being overlapped by Soloman saying "is", therefore making it sound like Phase.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:psyduck:

I feel like I'm getting gaslighted here. I just watched again and it's definitely "Vega".

minor spoiler removed

Strobe fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 20, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Angry_Ed posted:

He says Vega, it's just being overlapped by Soloman saying "is", therefore making it sound like Phase.

On like... my 8th rewatch, looking at McNeil lips and everything.

Jesus christ how did they keep that in? This is the first time I've ever heard the Vega and its so drat low compared to Darth Vader on the monitor that I would never have picked up on it.

God drat, :lol:

My new headcannon is his alias is Faze, and its staying to way until the end of time.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

If it's any consolation, I heard it as Phase as well. But then again, my laptop is 10 years old, the speakers suck even more now than when it was new, and there was a birthday party in the background...

So... uh, not much of a consolation, was it :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

inscrutable horse posted:

If it's any consolation, I heard it as Phase as well. But then again, my laptop is 10 years old, the speakers suck even more now than when it was new, and there was a birthday party in the background...

So... uh, not much of a consolation, was it :shrug:

Thank you, your support in these trying times is greatly appreciated.

As a thanks, have this photo of a disk thrower and of a wolverine

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 20, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I am, sadly, all out of eggs to offer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Vega" is Portuguese for "Faze"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hwurmp posted:

"Vega" is Portuguese for "Faze"

loving lol

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Holy poo poo :laffo:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
:nsavince: Holy poo poo, hilarious.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I wasn't around for the TibDawn playthrough so dunno if this was posted there, but- did anyone else get disappointed in the Wolverine, and thus mod the .ini file to give it the Nod laser to at least make it similar to what was promised in C&C95?

Also, he's clearly saying Phaser. Biehn has been in so much scifi he forgot which one he was in at that moment I don't know if he was ever a Star Trek

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ZenVulgarity posted:

This game still blows my mind with its pathfinding.

Man, between this, BW, Core COntingency, and Homeworld within this two-year span

Fun times

And Half-Life, HoMM3, Quake 3, UT99...That's only including PCs.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

PHVAYJ

See, I had a very strong initial impulse to go "wait, did you mean..." but figured between the availability of information and the lengths you're going for this LP series, you had to be doing a bit.

Also they definitely mashed that name in filming/editing that scene, so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah it wasnt a bit. I went 19 years thinking he said phase instead of Vega.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I dig that the aesthetic where combat zones that hold Tiberium essentially require wearing space suits or severe cybernetic enhancement, like they're wholly alien environments that humans just aren't meant to live in.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah this is when the tiberium stuff really showed an impact that wasn't just 'like dune but no worms' resource collection. We can't really get into it without spoilers but I want to say that TS and Firestorm are the pinnacle of the tiberium games as far as atmosphere and lore and stuff. Firestorm especially.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Plek posted:

Yeah this is when the tiberium stuff really showed an impact that wasn't just 'like dune but no worms' resource collection. We can't really get into it without spoilers but I want to say that TS and Firestorm are the pinnacle of the tiberium games as far as atmosphere and lore and stuff. Firestorm especially.

C&C3 pre-midgame twist is pretty great about it, but you're right Tiberian Sun did a fantastic job of selling the "this is an environmental disaster of cataclysmic proportions" angle that the first game only briefly touched on with the other commander dude.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Personally I preferred C&C3 in terms of coherent and believable atmosphere/world design, but going into that would probably be where Jobbo yells at us for spoilers and then goes and sobs and drinks himself to sleep because we just don't learn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I preferred C&C3 in terms of coherent and believable atmosphere/world design, but going into that would probably be where Jobbo yells at us for spoilers and then goes and sobs and drinks himself to sleep because we just don't learn.

Same. I think C&C3 and RA3 were the best of their respective series.

Tiberian Sun and RA2 are the generation of the series I'm the least familiar with, so it's interesting to see all this done by someone who really knows the games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PurpleXVI posted:

Fun fact: I don't drink so I read the manual for ASL instead.

The crying remains the same.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I clearly hear "faze" too, interesting. I have to really concentrate to catch the Vega underneath it.

Dumb theory: aside from audio output hardware and balance, another reason it might vary so much from person to person is that S is a relatively high-frequency sound and that's the first part of the auditory range to go as you get older or listen to loud noises a lot.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 21, 2019

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So I ran mission 2 to capture everything, and I did, but Nod sold two of the powerplants for some reason so :shrug:. I think the devs were trying to show that you don't have to kill everything, just enough to make the AI realize it can't win (at which point it sells everything to try and kill you) and they scripted it to guarantee this would happen even if you captured everything so the player could infer that the computer will do just that in the future missions.

Also, for those that don't know, you can actually use the Force Guard command to get your units to automatically attack anything on the way to their target.

And while Jobbo might have said this and I just missed it, it's actually cheaper to build a refinery and sell it then it is to build harvesters, which is so very dumb: you get $1000 credits plus 5 infantry ($600), so you get MORE than the cost of the harvester itself ($1400) back.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah it was mentioned in Tiberian Dawn, I believe. I prefer not doing that because I'm not a min-maxer :smuggo:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

thetruegentleman posted:

So I ran mission 2 to capture everything, and I did, but Nod sold two of the powerplants for some reason so :shrug:. I think the devs were trying to show that you don't have to kill everything, just enough to make the AI realize it can't win (at which point it sells everything to try and kill you) and they scripted it to guarantee this would happen even if you captured everything so the player could infer that the computer will do just that in the future missions.

Also, for those that don't know, you can actually use the Force Guard command to get your units to automatically attack anything on the way to their target.

And while Jobbo might have said this and I just missed it, it's actually cheaper to build a refinery and sell it then it is to build harvesters, which is so very dumb: you get $1000 credits plus 5 infantry ($600), so you get MORE than the cost of the harvester itself ($1400) back.

True, but that also ignores the cost of what you could also be building in that time. Building harvesters directly stalls you immediate ability to build 1 category of unit. Building refineries stalls out your progress towards better tech.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

thetruegentleman posted:

this strategy has its uses in multiplayer, though.

also speedrunning, but that also means crazy things like selling your Con Yard once you've got all the infrastructure you need to beat the mission :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Tiberium Must Flow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Aces High posted:

this strategy has its uses in multiplayer, though.

also speedrunning, but that also means crazy things like selling your Con Yard once you've got all the infrastructure you need to beat the mission :v:

As well as abusing a glitch that I don't think I can pull off(?), which now that I mention it I guess I'll see what I can do in a "bonus" video.

The long and short of it is that the game requires the player to build within a set distance from other buildings, but the game gets confused if you're trying to place a finished building and alt-tab. I believe the game checks to see if a building can fit in a specified location first, before checking to see if its within the "build area". That's why you'll see speed runners move to an area on the map with a finished building, tab out of the game and then click back into it at a specific spot. It happens fast that the game only has time to check if it fits, rather than if close enough to any friendly structures.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah it was mentioned in Tiberian Dawn, I believe. I prefer not doing that because I'm not a min-maxer :smuggo:
It's not minmaxing, it's just that harvesters are slow to build and take up precious time that could otherwise be used making a stike force composed of 32 heavy tanks and nothing else

On another note, I really really liked the sinister turn that TD makes later in the game that Strobe brought up, where it starts hitting home that tiberium is loving poo poo up much more than anyone thought about. Like at the start it's a pretty generic plot point where a magic new resource arrives from space that everyone wants to control, but 11-year-old me thought it was awesome and disturbing when it became apparent that no matter how quickly we tried to harvest the stuff, it kept spreading and messing with everything in increasingly disturbing ways.

At least in the cutscenes. In the game proper, there was never enough of the stuff and even a trash-tier Nod or GDI base would completely clear a large area of tiberium in the blink of an eye, if the lore followed that then would be no postapocalyptic wasteland poo poo at all and everyone would be fighting over the last few patches in a post-peak-tiberium world.

I really feel that there was a missed opportunity for a game set between TD and TS, focusing on people slowly starting to realise that tiberium is dangerous and not just some miracle resource, and losing their collective poo poo over it.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 21, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Since TD is getting remastered, perhaps that may be something they add to it, or just bolster the interludes that were already there for the GDI. They don't need to change any of the Kane stuff, unless Joe wants to film some new footage

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
wait did he seriously hear it as phaze? I thought he was being coy because spoilers, tho I vaguely remember being confused as to his name too as a kid until you get missions about him proper .

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I always heard it as faze until this discussion, and I played the crap out of this game back in the day. Had to watch the video a few times more to hear it as Vega. What I think is happening is the end of Solomon's line and McNeil saying Vega blend in together, making it hard to hear each distinctly. The more I hear it, the more I'm going with:

** Solomon says Faze
** McNeil definitely says Vega

Due to the translation thing posted earlier, both are right! But seriously, I'm like the OP. It couldn't have been less than two dozen times I saw this scene periodically over two decades and never once heard the first blessed hint of anything remotely 'Vega' in it. Always wondered what he meant, and rewatched it a few times to try to figure it out. Never did. Until today.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thotimx posted:

I always heard it as faze until this discussion, and I played the crap out of this game back in the day. Had to watch the video a few times more to hear it as Vega. What I think is happening is the end of Solomon's line and McNeil saying Vega blend in together, making it hard to hear each distinctly. The more I hear it, the more I'm going with:

** Solomon says Faze
** McNeil definitely says Vega

Due to the translation thing posted earlier, both are right! But seriously, I'm like the OP. It couldn't have been less than two dozen times I saw this scene periodically over two decades and never once heard the first blessed hint of anything remotely 'Vega' in it. Always wondered what he meant, and rewatched it a few times to try to figure it out. Never did. Until today.

Solomon says "That drug dealing monster is"
McNeil says "Vega!" before Solomon's line is done.
You hear "That drug dealing monster"- "Ve"- "s"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw, you didn't show off the best property of blue tiberium.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Solomon says "That drug dealing monster is"
McNeil says "Vega!" before Solomon's line is done.

Yeah, the audio there really is kind of muddled, and while I can hear Vega fairly well, that might just be bias due to playing through TS/Firestorm a ton and knowing who they are talking about in advance.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

It's like 2 missions in, come on

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Dabir posted:

I still hear "Faze" and "Vega" now being said by different voices almost simultaneously, like Solomon said the name at the end of his line: "that drug-dealing animal Faze". I particularly still hear the Z sound with a bit of distinctive James Earl Jones to it. But maybe I'm just imagining it.

At this point we might need an MIT analyst for a conclusive answer :P

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I've only heard Vega, and no matter how many times I rewatch it I can't hear Faze. :shrug:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I never really played TS multiplayer, it's it viable to occupy the enemy's tib field with a bunch of cyborgs? Since they are self-healing there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Aw, you didn't show off the best property of blue tiberium.

Oh I'll mention the special property again soon enough. The other thing you might be confusing with Firestorm.

u brexit ukip it posted:

I never really played TS multiplayer, it's it viable to occupy the enemy's tib field with a bunch of cyborgs? Since they are self-healing there?

I've never played much skirmish either, and I rarely used cyborgs vs vehicles so I don't know.