Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The game is fun, played through a few levels already and found it tough to figure out totally what was going but got it after a while. I think playing it on a bigger screen might help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Who flies inverted? I tried but couldn't do it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Who flies inverted? I tried but couldn't do it.

So, here's the thing; I used to be 100% inverted aim, always and everywhere. It just made sense to my brain. First person, third person... didn't matter. However, sometime in the last year or so, I guess when I was away from playing a lot of games, something changed, and I now, in first-person only, have to do 'up is up, down is down'. Third person, especially when flying something, is still inverted.

When you're right behind the arwing, and you want the arwing to aim down, you essentially have to position the camera up, and that makes sense to me.

To make things weirder, when it switched to cockpit view, I'm still good with inverted, despite it being essentially first-person.

(In Borat voice): MY BRAIN.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
You can switch to a 3rd person view in the cockpit levels by pressing select. I cant dodge enemy projectiles for poo poo in 1st person and this saves my life every time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aix posted:

You can switch to a 3rd person view in the cockpit levels by pressing select. I cant dodge enemy projectiles for poo poo in 1st person and this saves my life every time

Oh my god :psyduck:

This thread is now insanely useful.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Aix posted:

Does it work the other way around? I like cockpit mode, it's like my 80's sci-fi movies.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Played the second level of starfox today, the asteroid level.

It’s.......ehhhhhh.......I think I like the planetary levels better. The asteroid dodging level in Star Wars Arcade for 32x was also my least favorite level and this gives me strong vibes from that level.

On to the next one

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

First time trip report:

I guessed since the middle track was level 1 in the bottom corner that it was the logical starting point so that's where I've started.

Third person mode is super clunky and awkward and I can barely tell where my blasters are going to go. Lot of mindless smashing fire and wildly swinging the ship around, flashing weak points is nice and easy and I like the way the boss comes apart.

First person in asteroid level is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier and I wish I could be in it all the time. When I get to the next level I remember there was a switch view button in the settings screen and hey I can be in first person again! But apparently only here because now I'm on another planet level and stuck in third person where I struggle to get around all these pillars.

Does my wing being broken affect my flying or is that my imagination?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Does my wing being broken affect my flying or is that my imagination?

It definitely does in 64 so probably.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think it does. I also love how we're pretty divided on 1st-person view being better or worse.

Personally I love it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah, a broken wing effects turning in that direction. It is especially noticable when you are quick turning with L/R.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Finally beat the easy route for the first time ever despite owning this game on my original SNES and having it on ZSNES. Rewind is my god now.

I played it in Japanese incidentally but interestingly the credits including boss and area names in the end bit and job titles were all in English. The only way I knew I was still in the Japanese rom was because Andross was "Andorf." I guess that's supposed to be a Hitler analogue?

Either way, it was neat! I don't know if I'll try the other routes cause man this game gets tough. But maybe!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm sort of getting better at the game, but whoa, Virus Venom is kicking my rear end.

Also, I let Peppy die :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 12, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm sort of getting better at the game, but whoa, Virus is kicking my rear end.

Also, I let Peppy die :smith:

Not Peppy!

Who's Virus?

Also if you do other paths, I'm on the medium one right now (Titania was neat and half way through I fixed my wing which made me feel like a real battle beaten ace) is Venom and the end credits any different? I find Andross to be a touch tedious.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not Peppy!

Who's Virus?

Also if you do other paths, I'm on the medium one right now (Titania was neat and half way through I fixed my wing which made me feel like a real battle beaten ace) is Venom and the end credits any different? I find Andross to be a touch tedious.

Venom is different and there are changes to Andross. Not sure if end credits are any different I shut off the game after it starts showing off boss names and stuff.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

I'm playing this through for the first time, and I'm trying to work my way through the last Venom tunnel but the constant slowdown and missed inputs are really starting to drag on me. I don't think I'm going to try the other routes out once I finish the game once, it's just too rough and slow to replay. However, I'll probably go play some Star Fox 64 again and see how that holds up.

Unorganized reflections:
The Space Armada level was brilliant, and I'm disappointed the later games didn't have you fly inside of big ships and blow up their cores like you do in this level.
I found that I liked the space levels in first person the best because it was easier to aim and the lower number of polygons on screen helped keep the framerate ok.
It's pretty interesting to see which items on screen are sprites and which ones are polygons since the game does its best to blend the two as seamlessly as possible.
A joystick makes this game so much easier to control, and I can't imagine putting up with a d-pad for this game.
It's interesting to see how the overall silhouette of the Arwing hasn't changed much since it was made of about 5 shapes.

Also if you like the music, someone on YouTube composed an OST for a fictional Star Fox 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1yEAu9bUY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not Peppy!

Who's Virus?

I totally meant Venom. Tough stuff.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Drizvolta posted:

I'm playing this through for the first time, and I'm trying to work my way through the last Venom tunnel but the constant slowdown and missed inputs are really starting to drag on me. I don't think I'm going to try the other routes out once I finish the game once, it's just too rough and slow to replay. However, I'll probably go play some Star Fox 64 again and see how that holds up.

Unorganized reflections:
The Space Armada level was brilliant, and I'm disappointed the later games didn't have you fly inside of big ships and blow up their cores like you do in this level.
I found that I liked the space levels in first person the best because it was easier to aim and the lower number of polygons on screen helped keep the framerate ok.
It's pretty interesting to see which items on screen are sprites and which ones are polygons since the game does its best to blend the two as seamlessly as possible.
A joystick makes this game so much easier to control, and I can't imagine putting up with a d-pad for this game.
It's interesting to see how the overall silhouette of the Arwing hasn't changed much since it was made of about 5 shapes.

Also if you like the music, someone on YouTube composed an OST for a fictional Star Fox 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1yEAu9bUY

Agree on the points regarding first person mode and the joystick. I just played Star Fox 2 on an emulator yesterday with my 8bitdo SNES controller and it was rough after just playing with the sticks on the Switch.

Speaking of Star Fox 2, it was... okay? I can see where the Star Fox Command inspiration came from but it felt like two minigames extended as a full game. Not feeling too hot over it. Will do the third path of Star Fox 1 tomorrow. I don't mean to brag but it's been easy so far no rewinds or lives lost :cool: but I played the poo poo out of it as a kid so I deserve this ok.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Social Animal posted:

. I don't mean to brag but it's been easy so far no rewinds or lives lost :cool: but I played the poo poo out of it as a kid so I deserve this ok.

This is me, but with Toejam & Earl. I can more or less breeze through it, but otherwise the game is pretty tough.

Maybe we'll get that one in stock, who knows.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

On the hard path, Andross has an extra final form.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

univbee posted:

On the hard path, Andross has an extra final form.

Guess I'll be blowing up his dumb head at least two more times.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just started this on Switch SNESflix and played through the first level last night. So this is how it actually performed on SNES? Honestly I was impressed, and expecting much worse in terms of framerate, like more along the lines of Stellar 7 on an Amiga 500. But this felt closer to running X-Wing on my family's old 386. I guess the Super FX didn't mess around!

Much thanks to the OP, this thread is a really fun idea! One addition that I think would be useful - when the current "rental" game is chosen, perhaps a knowledgeable goon could make a post about how saving works in that game's native format. e.g. how and when saves occur, if/how many continues you get, what type of progress is lost if you die or get a game over, etc. It would be a big help in determining how aggressively one wants to use rewind or state saves, or just a general indicator of how chill/intense an experience to prepare for.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Played through route 1 last night, the game is much harder when you play it overclocked/sped up. I had to use save states to beat andross.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

Just started this on Switch SNESflix and played through the first level last night. So this is how it actually performed on SNES? Honestly I was impressed, and expecting much worse in terms of framerate, like more along the lines of Stellar 7 on an Amiga 500. But this felt closer to running X-Wing on my family's old 386. I guess the Super FX didn't mess around!

Much thanks to the OP, this thread is a really fun idea! One addition that I think would be useful - when the current "rental" game is chosen, perhaps a knowledgeable goon could make a post about how saving works in that game's native format. e.g. how and when saves occur, if/how many continues you get, what type of progress is lost if you die or get a game over, etc. It would be a big help in determining how aggressively one wants to use rewind or state saves, or just a general indicator of how chill/intense an experience to prepare for.

Thanks for the kind words, and I will try and remember that for .... wow, tomorrow! :toot:

If I forget, please feel free to call me out on it. :shobon:

EDIT: Just to clarify, we're keeping Star Fox until next Friday, but we'll be adding a game tomorrow, to sort of get us into a regular schedule. Also, Star Fox doesn't deserve to get its time cut short because I decided to start this thread on a Monday.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I played through the intermediate path last night with my new 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller. It was a little tougher and I actually died once on the Sector Y boss who smashes you, though it was to his attack where he sends a bunch of ring lasers at you. Probably gonna tackle the third route tonight and maybe check out the two secret areas for once.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I could look it up, but in the spirit of this thread, can someone tell me (only from memory, don't look it up, either) how to get to the secret areas?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I could look it up, but in the spirit of this thread, can someone tell me (only from memory, don't look it up, either) how to get to the secret areas?

I couldn't tell you exactly where, but in the 2nd stage of most paths is a solid-seeming asteroid that will change into a wormhole when shot a bunch of times (iirc it "dings" a few times like you're not damaging it), then you just "crash" into it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Finished the second path tonight, using my regular Pro controller this time. Whoever said this game's better with a stick is absolutely right.

Also, I feel like the levels in path 2 are just... better than path 1?

Also also, can anyone tell me how to get back into the game from the ending screen? It seems resetting the game is the only way, but then it's not saving the score from my run which is kind of a bummer.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I personally like being told I've snuck through the back entrance of Venom in path 2. I can't remember if that was the dialogue in path 1.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I personally like being told I've snuck through the back entrance of Venom in path 2. I can't remember if that was the dialogue in path 1.

That was definitely only path 2 so far. It might be for path 3 I’ll find out today!

As for the secret levels I know the second level with the asteroids I think you go through rings of rocks and then you shoot one that has a face on it? I remember it had a creepy grin and you keep shooting it until it turns to a portal. I’ll try it out path 3 run tonight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tomorrow already? That’s ok, I don’t think starfox is clicking for me. It’s not helped by the fact that I have no nostalgia for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alright, how you kids likin' that Star Fox game? Pretty good, huh?

Well, here's a classic. One of my faves. I figure I'll give you another week with the ol Fox, but you can mess around with this one and bring 'em both back next Friday. Sound good?

I don't have any of those Sega Minis yet, but I'll probably have them in by then.

Now Renting: Wrecking Crew (NES)

Release
JP: June 18, 1985
NA: October 18, 1985
EU: October 15, 1987

General Info (from Wikipedia)

Wikipedia posted:

Wrecking Crew is a 1985 action game developed and published by Nintendo. It was designed by Yoshio Sakamoto and released as a launch title for the Nintendo Entertainment System.

The player controls Mario (or Luigi in two-player mode) and attempts to destroy all of a certain set of objects with a large hammer on each of 100 levels. Mario cannot jump because of the hammer's weight. The player can select any level to start on from the title screen. Each level takes place on a playfield divided into an invisible grid, each space of which can contain one object. Objects include destructible walls, pillars, and ladders, indestructible barrels and ladders, bombs that destroy all connected destructible objects, and various enemies that Mario must avoid. Doors may also exist, which can be opened to cause enemies to move harmlessly into the background. The game also introduced a new character, a construction foreman named Spike, who chases Mario and attempts to disrupt him by knocking down objects and causing him to fall to the bottom of the playfield. The player starts the game with five lives and loses a life whenever Mario comes in contact with an enemy or fireball. The game is over when all lives are lost. The game can also be aborted at any time, and must be aborted if Mario becomes trapped in a barrel.

Because Mario lacks the ability to jump, the player must figure out the optimal order in which to destroy objects—for example, if a player destroys a ladder too soon, a wall may become unreachable and thus the player cannot finish the level. Destroying multiple objects in a row (usually with a chain of bombs) scores extra bonus points, and occasionally bonus items may appear that Mario can collect.

Wrecking Crew also features a level editor, which allows the player to design up to four custom levels that can be saved and loaded using the Famicom Data Recorder, a peripheral for the Famicom used to store and reload data from games to a cassette tape. Due to the fact that this peripheral was only released in Japan, the ability to save and load custom levels was rendered useless in other territories outside of Japan. The game's U.S. manual includes a note stating that the load and save functions "have been programmed in for potential product developments". The feature was later re-enabled for the game's Wii Virtual Console release using Wii system storage.

Rental due back before: midnight Friday Sept 20th

Now, if anyone has beaten this one legit, every single level, I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: univbee coming in with the awesome info dump :toot:

univbee posted:

Hell yeah.

Official Availability (all are functionally the same version):

North America and Europe:
Physical version: NES
Digital versions: Wii U (Virtual Console), 3DS (Virtual Console) and Switch (Nintendo Switch Online NES). Formerly available digitally on Wii.
The Wii U and Switch versions are capable of saving level designs, no other official Western version offers this.

Japan:

Physical versions: Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Game Boy Advance (as part of the Famicom Mini series).
Digital versions: Wii U (Virtual Console), 3DS (Virtual Console) and Switch (Nintendo Switch Online Famicom). Formerly available digitally on Wii.
The Famicom versions can save level designs using the Family BASIC peripherals (keyboard and data recorder). The Wii U and Switch versions can save directly.

Special version (special challenges only): On NES Remix for Wii U.

Cartridges are reasonably common with loose Famicom carts being cheapest at around $10. NES and GBA carts are at a bit more of premium, expect 2-3x the price.

"Grey market" availability

This is a simple launch Famicom/NES title with no mapper chip that will work on any device capable of running NES ROMs with no known exceptions, and uses the same 40kb ROM worldwide. Actual save functionality is likely trickier due to how weirdly it was done officially, but you can just use save states instead.

On the physical grey market it was probably in a lot of multi-carts like the 110-in-1 or some such.

Tech specs (NES/Famicom):
32kb PRG / 8kb CHR ROM
Mapper 0 (no mapper)

There's no story or anything in the game, just super-basic menus, but if you must have it translated, translation patches exist in Chinese, Greek and Russian.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 13, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So that's the point of it? Hammer everything in the game. Ok. I'll try it out, after spending a bit more time in Space.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah.

Official Availability (all are functionally the same version):

North America and Europe:
Physical version: NES
Digital versions: Wii U (Virtual Console), 3DS (Virtual Console) and Switch (Nintendo Switch Online NES). Formerly available digitally on Wii.
The Wii U and Switch versions are capable of saving level designs, no other official Western version offers this.

Japan:

Physical versions: Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Game Boy Advance (as part of the Famicom Mini series).
Digital versions: Wii U (Virtual Console), 3DS (Virtual Console) and Switch (Nintendo Switch Online Famicom). Formerly available digitally on Wii.
The Famicom versions can save level designs using the Family BASIC peripherals (keyboard and data recorder). The Wii U and Switch versions can save directly.

Special version (special challenges only): On NES Remix for Wii U.

Cartridges are reasonably common with loose Famicom carts being cheapest at around $10. NES and GBA carts are at a bit more of premium, expect 2-3x the price.

"Grey market" availability

This is a simple launch Famicom/NES title with no mapper chip that will work on any device capable of running NES ROMs with no known exceptions, and uses the same 40kb ROM worldwide. Actual save functionality is likely trickier due to how weirdly it was done officially, but you can just use save states instead.

On the physical grey market it was probably in a lot of multi-carts like the 110-in-1 or some such.

Tech specs (NES/Famicom):
32kb PRG / 8kb CHR ROM
Mapper 0 (no mapper)

There's no story or anything in the game, just super-basic menus, but if you must have it translated, translation patches exist in Chinese, Greek and Russian.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 13, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love that explanation for why Mario cant jump, especially since its consistent with Donkey Kong!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whoa, you can SAVE in the Switch version?! I saw on Wikipedia that they fixed it for the WiiU version, but I had no idea the Switch copy was fixed too!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa, you can SAVE in the Switch version?! I saw on Wikipedia that they fixed it for the WiiU version, but I had no idea the Switch copy was fixed too!

I'm not 100% sure on this, I haven't had a chance to confirm. Also not entirely sure how the classic saving actually worked as I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information.

You can definitely save state at least.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Wrecking Crew was the first game I ever bought on the Wii Virtual Console. A deeply underappreciated puzzle game.

I've been meaning to play through this! I'm so glad it showed up on the shelves!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Star Fox has such an epic intro screen.

Does anyone know what the art style would be called? I hope we get some games made in that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

univbee posted:

I'm not 100% sure on this, I haven't had a chance to confirm. Also not entirely sure how the classic saving actually worked as I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information.

You can definitely save state at least.

I'll test it out tonight and will update my post when I can, unless someone confirms it for me beforehand.

My memories of Wrecking Crew are some of my oldest NES ones. My parents used to rent the NES system and a few games every so often from the Mini-Mart down the road, back when you could rent actual consoles. One of the first times we did it, we got Mario/Duck Hunt, Ice Hockey, Zelda 2 (yeah, I played it before 1), and Wrecking Crew.

My dad and I used to try and figure our way out of the levels together, but after a while, man, they get tough. I can't remember how far we'd get, and I don't think we knew about the level skipping option (no manual). We'd rent it a few more times before the store stopped carrying that game (no idea why they got rid of it, maybe someone stole it), and no other stores in my hometown carried it anymore either. We ended up buying an NES shortly after, but those weekend rentals were special. They felt like a real treat, because they were. I know this thread can't bring back that feeling, but it's the closest thing I can do. This might sound silly, but this thread actually makes me smile a lot, because while, yeah, they're just video games, I can't deny that they're just so filled with nostalgia for me, especially WC. It's almost palpable.

This is one of the few games that really gives me the 'ah, simpler times' feeling.

Anyway, the next time I'd play this game would be years later, via Nesticle on my PC. I remember being so happy that I was near tears.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't somehow memorized more than a handful of levels throughout the years.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 13, 2019