Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
CARNIVAL OF SOULS is an old old old movie but still manages to be creepy as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I love all the ones A24 puts out. I cannot wait to see The Lighthouse!

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I think I'll watch "it Follows" again. I'll probably also browse Netflix's and HBO's library to see if they have anything good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Evil Dead trilogy. It's a classic and most people have already seen it, but it deserves a space on any list of scary movies.

Anne Whateley posted:

fwiw, I watched Get Out with friends who had already seen it, so there were a couple moments where they told me to look away, which I'm guessing was a good call. If Poltergeist has jump scares, that's prob a no for me

Poltergeist is not for you.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
For Halloweeney without being horror how about Taika Waititi’s New Zealand vampire mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Cubone posted:

Hagazussa is good if you liked The VVitch but thought it was a little too fast-paced and upbeat

I'm pretty sure I've made this joke before but nobody has seen Hagazussa so it never lands

Oh dang. I hated the VVitch. I burst out laughing in the theater when the goat started talking.

Dumb as gently caress but somehow entertaining with pretty drat good practical effects...Wolfcop. Don't bother with the sequel though.

Green Room is more of a thriller but pretty tense and gory.

Under the Shadow is a Persian horror movie that takes place during the Iran-Iraq war. How many djinn horror movies you seen?

Arachnophobia and Tremors if you need to scratch that horror/comedy itch.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

sporklift posted:

Dumb as gently caress but somehow entertaining with pretty drat good practical effects...Wolfcop. Don't bother with the sequel though.

Whoa, the sequel actually happened? I agree the original was both dumb and entertaining. Wasn't expecting it to be fun when I put it in my Netflix queue.

The Void is a decent enough recent horror movie. Fell off toward the end, but the beginning I liked, it felt kind of like a horror version of Assault on Precinct 13.

Any and all John Carpenter movies are golden, even the ones with lukewarm reviews. The Thing is the greatest horror movie of all time.

All of the old Universal Monster movies still own bones.

I've got a question for you guys. Are there any horror movies you remember being super scary when you first saw them, but on a rewatch you can't understand why you thought that?

For me it was the TCM remake. I saw it with my friend in a packed theater on opening night, and it felt so scary. A few years later I popped it on and couldn't believe I'd ever thought that. It was terrible. I wonder if it was not only the fact several years had passed, but also it not being the same setting (people in the audience freaking out, my friend death-gripping my arm at scares, etc)

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

The Gate has come up a few times, and I just wanted to share that I saw it as a wee little kid, and it traumatized me for a while. I absolutely refused to do more then glance at a mirror for months. That goddamn dead construction worker!

There was a sequel that took place a few years after the first movie. Wasn't as good IMO.

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

Possession (1980) - A man returns home from a trip to find his wife behaving oddly. From here things quickly spiral out of control.

This movie starts off the rails continues to ride into complete madness. It's probably my favorite horror film.

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/uDpFpzbwfiw

Night of the Demons(1988) - A group of high school kids go to a party at a old funeral parlor on Halloween night. They get possessed by demons ans start killing each other.

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/tQ7gSRfUCH0

Spookies (1986) - This is essentially two movies spliced together: one plot involves a group of people being targeted by a Warlock too keep his wife alive and a kid being stalked by a weremonster.

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/t63eyaVgciE

Drunken Baker posted:

For a real scare turn your monitor... to whatever program you use to watch films and watch The Borderlands sometimes known as "Final Prayer". The Vatican send a priest and a tech-guy to a small church in the middle of nowhere Scotland in order to verify (but more likely to debunk) a haunting.

This is a quality recommendation.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OregonDonor posted:

The Blair Witch Project is honestly my all-time favorite horror film. Everything from the uniqueness of how it was produced, its subtle but effective mythology (its verisimilitude, I guess), to its marketing campaign, to the way in which it affected the culture, to simply watching and enjoying it as a movie—I keep coming back to it and it still fascinates me.

It just loving rules.

I gotta say the first time seeing Blair Witch as a kid in theatres was like nothing else since. Fantastic movie.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Definitely not traditional horror but Green Room is excellent. A punk band witnesses a murder at a neo-Nazi club and have to fight for survival against a bunch of skinheads. Features Patrick Stewart as a neo-Nazi.

The Wailing - Soon after a stranger arrives in a little village, a mysterious sickness starts spreading. A policeman, drawn into the incident, is forced to solve the mystery in order to save his daughter. A very entertaining Korean horror film.

naem
May 29, 2011

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Tom Gorman posted:

You have to include Return of the Living Dead if you want to party

Where's the party? Who wants to party? It's party time.

this one owns

get an earful of this song from the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxavcOn1qiI

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Most of my faves have already be mentioned, so I'll just say that the new remake to Child's Play is better than expected.

In the original the doll is possessed by the soul of an evil dude via black magic, and the new one it's just a malfunctioning AI which sounds lame, but it's a fun and weirdly sweet film. If the 1988 original was milking fears of the Satanic Panic, the 2019 version taps into fear of the "Internet of Things".

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Anne Whateley posted:

annual dumb baby question: I'm always looking for movies that are Halloweeny/spooky without actually being horror or gory or uhh...scary

The Guest has a very Halloween vibe but is more of a weird thriller. Not spooky at all. But it's a brilliant film. Don't spoil it!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'm a big fan of zombie movies. There's a wealth of titles here so here's my top5:

1. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
2. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
3. Train to Busan (2016)
4. Day of the Dead (1985)
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

There's way more than this though, zombie films could fill a whole week of movie nights

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Drag Me to Hell isn't as beloved as Evil Dead, but it's awesome and a lot of fun.

It also includes an amazing scene where the main character thinks she's defeated the evil curse and let an old woman rest in peace, only to have someone basically say "Sorry, you completely misunderstood what happened here. You're hosed."

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I still think about the end of Drag Me to Hell from time to time.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i saw a scary movie about a haunted house filled with decaying zombies and murderous clowns

turns out i was watching c-span!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My sister said Drag me to Hell was poo poo because she kept laughing at all the comedy gags in it.

You're laughing at comedy gags. It's a good movie.

Loads of people walked out when she killed the cat.*

*The chick in the film. Not my sister.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oculus is a perfect movie. Convince me otherwise.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Former DILF posted:

I'm a big fan of zombie movies. There's a wealth of titles here so here's my top5:

1. Return of the Living Dead (1985)
2. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
3. Train to Busan (2016)
4. Day of the Dead (1985)
5. Night of the Living Dead (1968)

There's way more than this though, zombie films could fill a whole week of movie nights

No original Dawn of the Dead on here? What in tarnation

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I asked in another thread and got a few decent suggestions and I'll ask again here: can anybody recommend good shows or movies about social breakdown at the onset of some great catastrophe or horror event?

The beginning of 28 Days Later does a great job alluding to it, I Am Legend and World War Z touch on it, Children of Men is probably the best one I've seen but it's more of a thriller than the more direct kind of horror I'm hoping for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7Laj8Yp6w

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Captain Yossarian posted:

No original Dawn of the Dead on here? What in tarnation

I live about 15 minutes away from the mall where they filmed Dawn of the Dead.

It's great because you can still see the basic layout from the movie to this day. And this past year they did a "Living Dead Weekend" at the mall where they played the movie and had a bunch of people from the movie show up and talk about how insane/cool it was to work on the film. At the end of the day they played "The Gunk" (that song from the end credits) over the loudspeakers.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Kazak posted:

I asked in another thread and got a few decent suggestions and I'll ask again here: can anybody recommend good shows or movies about social breakdown at the onset of some great catastrophe or horror event?

The beginning of 28 Days Later does a great job alluding to it, I Am Legend and World War Z touch on it, Children of Men is probably the best one I've seen but it's more of a thriller than the more direct kind of horror I'm hoping for.

Night of the Comet is a great, campy take on a post-apocalyptic world. It's a lot of fun and still holds up. Also The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is based on I Am Legend but does a much better job with it. It's a classic.

10 Cloverfield Lane is one I enjoyed more than most people. It's weird but I liked it. I don't know if I'd call any of these horror movies necessarily, but they're sweet examples of the theme you're looking for.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Deadly Spawn - Cheap video nasty from the 80s, love it.
The Stuff - The Blob but its icecream.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kairo (Pulse) is the scariest movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuUS2lcSk4 you can watch the whole thing on youtube with English subs.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Drive-Thru has a place in my heart if you want to see basically the ICP version of Ronald McDonald killing teens. It's so stupid it edges up to being decent.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Are there any good low budget found footage horror movies floating around?

I've already made my way through most of the tripe on Amazon Prime video so I was hoping for more hot micro budget garbage.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

Hereditary (2018) and Midsommar (2019) were both really good for gory and unsettling horror, I'll be keeping an eye on anything else Ari Astor does. Midsommar kind of feels like it had a ton of material cut though because there are some significant feeling plot threads that are just dropped.

Also Sinister from 2012 was really great. I love found footage in horror but it gets exhausting to me when the entire movie is shot that way. Sinister has just enough to create that same unsettling tension without feeling like a gimmick.

Hereditary hosed me up for a while. It has a few jump scares and gore, but it in no way is a typical scare flick. To me it was a slow burn psychological horror. Right from the start it had this extremely unsettling way it was shot. Like how they showed the house and the grandma out in a field with fire with these long shots. The way the colours look. The dissonant music throughout. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I'm definitely going to check out Midsommar.

former glory fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 26, 2019

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

I've already made my way through most of the tripe on Amazon Prime video so I was hoping for more hot micro budget garbage.

It's more creepy than horror, but I enjoyed The St. Francisville Experiment. It's basically the Blair Witch Project, only instead of the woods, it's a haunted house. No gore or anything, so it's fine for kids or the squeamish.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I thought Grave Encounters was decent enough although I might be biased since I love the premise. It was the found footage of a bunch of professional ghost hunters getting caught in a real haunted place when they thought it was just going to be more of the same.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

John F Bennett posted:

Oculus is a perfect movie. Convince me otherwise.

if it's so good why haven't i seen it

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rad-daddio posted:

Hell House LLC was a decent low budget found footage film. Don't bother with the sequels though.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kazak posted:

movies usually skip that part because it's hard

when 28 weeks later was about to come out, the rumor was that the entire movie was "like the first 20 minutes of the dawn of the dead remake" which would have been awesome but that turned out not to be true

Knowing, with Nic Cage, kind of runs in that groove, but it's not really horror idk what that loving movie is
uh
Contagion touches on it, it's about a viral outbreak like SARS or bird flu except it actually poses a real problem, and it's about how kind of the whole of society reacts, like weird communes spring up and people flock to these fraudulent tv demagogues who'll tell them what they want to hear

oh, you know what?
the Purge sequels kind of scratch that itch for me, actually, those movies rule

it's not the breakdown of society in general, it's a... well, it's the purge, everybody knows what the purge is

but if you haven't actually sat down and watched them, first of all, they're delicious, delicious schlock,
with like 80's-style super on-the-nose social commentary
a lot of the runtime of any given purge sequel just follows a small group of people who for whatever reason get stuck out on the streets when all hell breaks loose. there's horror movie elements whenever a lone character is trying to make it from point a to point b and they cross paths with a group of masked purgers up to god-knows-what
and they just like follow how different people react when the rules get thrown out. in The First Purge in particular (by which I mean the movie called The First Purge, which was the fourth Purge movie) there's really not that much purging going on, and it's almost like an anarchist philosophy undercurrent to it, the implication being that the laws are not what's keeping most people from killing each other, and the purge itself, within the context of the purge movies, is really an orchestrated form of class warfare
they're probably not everybody's cup of tea but really I think those movies are an absolute blast, and I just wish there were more of them

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

former glory posted:

Hereditary hosed me up for a while. It has a few jump scares and gore, but it in no way is a typical scare flick. To me it was a slow burn psychological horror. Right from the start it had this extremely unsettling way it was shot. Like how they showed the house and the grandma out in a field with fire with these long shots. The way the colours look. The dissonant music throughout. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I'm definitely going to check out Midsommar.

Midsommar is divisive. I wasn't as big a fan of it as Hereditary and I'd be reluctant to call it a horror movie. It's sort of strange.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Midsommar feels like it was edited too far and lost a lot of it's justifications for events and behaviors along the way. Hereditary is much tighter and self contained

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cubone posted:

movies usually skip that part because it's hard

when 28 weeks later was about to come out, the rumor was that the entire movie was "like the first 20 minutes of the dawn of the dead remake" which would have been awesome but that turned out not to be true

Knowing, with Nic Cage, kind of runs in that groove, but it's not really horror idk what that loving movie is
uh
Contagion touches on it, it's about a viral outbreak like SARS or bird flu except it actually poses a real problem, and it's about how kind of the whole of society reacts, like weird communes spring up and people flock to these fraudulent tv demagogues who'll tell them what they want to hear

oh, you know what?
the Purge sequels kind of scratch that itch for me, actually, those movies rule

it's not the breakdown of society in general, it's a... well, it's the purge, everybody knows what the purge is

but if you haven't actually sat down and watched them, first of all, they're delicious, delicious schlock,
with like 80's-style super on-the-nose social commentary
a lot of the runtime of any given purge sequel just follows a small group of people who for whatever reason get stuck out on the streets when all hell breaks loose. there's horror movie elements whenever a lone character is trying to make it from point a to point b and they cross paths with a group of masked purgers up to god-knows-what
and they just like follow how different people react when the rules get thrown out. in The First Purge in particular (by which I mean the movie called The First Purge, which was the fourth Purge movie) there's really not that much purging going on, and it's almost like an anarchist philosophy undercurrent to it, the implication being that the laws are not what's keeping most people from killing each other, and the purge itself, within the context of the purge movies, is really an orchestrated form of class warfare
they're probably not everybody's cup of tea but really I think those movies are an absolute blast, and I just wish there were more of them

I've been meaning to check out the Purges, guess I'll do it sooner than later. This feels like a good time in society for a resurgence of dystopian sci-fi action films centered around state sanctioned/gamified violence

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Cubone posted:

they just like follow how different people react when the rules get thrown out.

I love the part in the original Purge movie (at least I think it was the original) where the you see various groups and individuals getting ready before Purge Time kicks in. You see some people obviously fearing for safety, and they're battening down the hatches, trying to settle in and keep safe. Others are dressing up like it's a party atmosphere. Then you see a lone guy up on the roof of an apartment building, a scoped rifle sitting beside him, and he pops the top off a beer bottle as he gets ready to settle in for a night of sipping beers, and taking pot-shots at randos on the street.

Not a movie, but there's a book I read that does the "beginning of the end" thing really well, One Second After, by William R. Forstchen. The book is about society falling apart after an EMP attack wipes out modern technology/infrastructure, and sends everyone back to the dark ages. It paints a detailed picture of what happens when there's no more trucks coming to resupply the supermarket, there's no communication to tell you what's happening, and how fragile day to day life can be when the technological support network gets yanked out from under everybody.

CAVEAT ABOUT THE BOOK: The author leans pretty hard into Religious Conservative ideas, (Newt Gingrich wrote the foreword ffs) and the second and third books dive straight in to Right-wing Survivalist Nutjob's Wet Dream territory. That having been said, if you can look past those bits without giving yourself whiplash from rolling your eyes so hard, the actual bits about poo poo slowly sliding into the fan is very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX9S3hdgZ5g

Dog soldiers. A kind of silly movie with a fun take on werewolves. Shades of predator and really good action/effects.