Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Mortal Kombat II followed immediately by the first Donkey Kong Country. I was visiting my great uncle and when he described Mortal Kombat to me (I was about 5ish) I thought he was talking about some Rock'em Sock'em Robot game. I had no idea what a video game was until he brought out the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hardly a game, but this is what my family considers to be my first game:

Learning with Leeper by Sierra
https://youtu.be/rgwNjNlmp2E

Cognitively, it’s Gyruss.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I am told that the first game I ever played was Donkey Kong Country, and apparently the first thing I did was delete my dad's save (he was stuck on King K. Rool). I, however, do not remember this and maintain my innocence. The first game I actually remember playing is Super Mario Kart.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

not the first but the oldest "videogame" i remember playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmdOHmnbYHw

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
A lot of the posts in here make me feel pretty young. :)

Aside from possibly some arcade game like The Simpsons or Lethal Enforcers, the first games I played were Doom II and Solitaire on a Windows 95 laptop that a family friend brought over in 1995 or 1996.

Following that, I would occasionally watch the neighbor kids play various Genesis games (Sonic and Ghostbusters), but rarely if ever played them myself (kind of a primitive Let's Play situation).

Finally, the game that turned me into a gamer was Star Fox 64 on a video rental store demo kiosk in October 1997. Prior to that, I had no interest in Nintendo because I thought the name sounded like something for really little kids. But moving the analog stick around and watching a lit and textured ship perfectly match my movements blew my mind, not to mention the clear voice acting and sound effects. It instantly became my baseline for acceptable game production values - very few 2D and rough 3D games have piqued my interest since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcU2MYJkGE4&t=134s

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 22, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It was either Cabbage Patch Kids Adventure in the Park, Zaxxon, or Richard Scarry's Best Electronic Word Book Ever, all on our Coleco ADAM. These were definitely my first three games, but correctly or not, I remember Cabbage Patch Kids coming first.

That game was just a slightly edited version of Konami's Athletic Land, but I didn't know that until I played Athletic Land in Konami Antiques: MSX Collection for the Saturn years later. It felt really weird stumbling upon a game I hadn't played or thought about since I was about 3 years old.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm pretty sure mine was Tiny Toon Adventure for NES (or, well, it's pirated russian clone, Dendy)
I distinctly remember holding the controller and not understanding what anything was. Jumping over the first wall felt like an achievement.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Startrek on the original (chicklet keyboard) Commodore Pet.

Lunar Lander in the arcades.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt.

This thread has me bouncing back and forth between feeling young and old.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Mothafuckin' Astro Grover
I think my parents got it for me after I went a week without rocking my dining table chair back on the rear legs.

https://i.imgur.com/q0AlXVg.gifv

I had the NES cart that was a combo of this and Ernie's Magic Shapes

I also had Big Bird's Hide & Speak and when you got an answer wrong and one of the muppets would shake their head it scared the absolute poo poo out of me for some reason

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
First game I ever remember picking out was Demon Attack for the Atari 2600.

My dad took me to an electronics shop to pick out a game then took me to McDonald's afterwards and that memory is still fresh in my head 35+ years later. :unsmith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The very first game was probably this thing:

The very first real video game was something on Atari at my friend's house. It used cassette tapes:

I'll have to look through some titles online to dig up what it was exactly though.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm not sure which game it was exactly because we just had a giant box of Atari 2600 games and we'd play whatever floated to the top. The first game I can remember playing was Adventure. Complete with Duck Dragon.

It was probably that or Pitfall. Those were the days...8 whole bits!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I definitely remember this system, but I can't make out the name from this image. What is it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I definitely remember this system, but I can't make out the name from this image. What is it?

That's the Atari 410 Program Recorder, which was an add-on for the 400/800 line of Atari home computers.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Duck Hunt. I got an NES with the dual smb/duck hunt cartridge when I was 3 or 4? I remember playing duck hunt first so I could use the toy gun. Probably the earliest memory I have.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
I had probably played an atari at some point and enjoyed it, but I can't remember any of the games. First real 'my' video game was a colecovision to play on, so a mixture of Mr Do, mousetrap, pacman(or some clone therein), centipede, and galaga.

I'm inclined to believe I had other coleco games, but I can't remember them, outside of smurfs (which was an awful game of punishing difficulty so I think I played it for only a grand total of 4 hours, and I think I only played that long due to some childhood sunk cost fallacy at having spent my birthday money on that garbage)- seriously, not sure who thought 'I know a game of memory and pixle perfect accuracy is EXACTLY what kids want to play'.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Used to love renting Link to the Past as a 5 day rental

Yoshis island was newer so it was only available as a 2 day

First game I rented then immediately returned was Rock n roll racing, was immediately clear after 5 minutes that there was not 5 minutes worth of excitement let alone 5 days

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The first game I remember was that weird adventure one with the duck(?) that chased you. I remember needing to find keys.
E: computer game, maybe PC, maybe a different computer, mid-eighties

E2: Maybe it was Adventure on the Atari? I would’ve been 3 years old, so I guess that fits. I would’ve had a chance to play it on my granparent’s 2600 before moving to Japan from the States.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 23, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Found it:

Apparently it was called...Ninja. I remember how we were waiting completely frozen and silent while it was loading because the smallest movement could interrupt the cassette loading process.

The first game that I actually remember consciously choosing to play was an arcade version of Arkanoid:

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 23, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure my first game was either Baseball or Pinbot for NES.

Baseball has some of the worst play control for a game. RBI Baseball thankfully made a much better version of baseball. Pinbot on the other hand was super fun for a pinball game.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Motherfucking parsec on the TI/99. Which, because I couldn't read at the time and the system had blown up by the time I could, I only knew as 'Extra Life' because that's what I named it when I realised you got extra lives. Took me years to work out what it was actually called.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSQd0eJKQQ

There's something about those sound effects that still make me feel all warm and fuzzy, but it was not in any way actually a good game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The original Super Mario Bros for Nintendo. It must have been maybe 87 or 88ish, so I was 6ish, I was at grandmas house and there were always some of my many, many cousins living there at any given time, and I wandered into the basement where all the cool older kids were and they were playing the Nintendo, and it was the first time I had seen one. I knew what it was, so I must have seen commercials for it, but I wasn't really all that interested. They eventually gave me a turn and I remember getting 2 of the 3 question mark blocks and everyone was like why would you skip the mushroom. Long story short I thought the whole thing was really dumb and eventually left to go back outside and play in the snow.

I don't know what exactly changed my mind but a few months later I was bugging my parents for one and I didn't stop until I got it. Queue a lifetime of hopeless addiction and deferred ambition.

forwhatpurpose
Sep 16, 2019

My first game was either Sonic 2 on my cousin's Genesis, or Super Mario Bros. for arcade while waiting for eye surgery. Either way, I think they both happened around or close to '97.
There's a chance it might've actually been King's Quest VI or Fury3, but I'm not sure. The former are the only ones I'm certain about.
First game I technically owned, though, was Pokémon Blue.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First PC game I can remember playing was Aldo's Adventure. I didn't know what Donkey Kong was back then but yeah it's a clone.

https://classicreload.com/aldos-adventure.html

First console game would have been Alex Kid (whichever one was built into the PAL master system).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

seiferguy posted:

Pretty sure my first game was either Baseball or Pinbot for NES.

Baseball has some of the worst play control for a game. RBI Baseball thankfully made a much better version of baseball. Pinbot on the other hand was super fun for a pinball game.

I prefer High Speed over Pinbot, but mostly because those rules owned

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I don't remember for sure but it was very likely Snack Attack, a Pac-Man clone on my dad's Apple II.

It wasn't in color like this, though. The monitor didn't have color, it just displayed everything in monochrome green.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
First video game I feel is pretty hard to answer if only because there were multiple games I got to play at once when a cousin came to visit with his N64 during summer of '99. Mario Kart, Star Fox, Wave Race, probably others though it might've been Star Fox 64 that ended up being the very first one of those I touched. I just know it was drat good and pretty much set me on the path at around 5 years age of wanting to play more video games, and getting an N64 for Christmas later that year.

Yes, I am quite young.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The very, very first game I remember seeing was Loom in black and white on my uncle's mac. I didn't really play it though- the first game I played was some 2600 helicopter game that a different, younger uncle let me play. I don't quite remember it well enough to identify the game though.

The first game that we *had*, at home, to play whenever, was Super Mario Bros 3, got it bundled with an NES and it ruined my life. i love you, mario 3.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure the first game I ever played was the shareware version of Secret Agent on DOS, back in 1994-1995. It probably came from one of my older brother's dozens of cover disks, our parents were extremely anti video games when we were small but they couldn't stop him from saving up and secretly buying PC Gamer :kiddo:

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Can't remember whether the big ol' IBM PS/2 or the Colecovision came first, but:

"How does this work? >go left >walk left ... oh, arrow keys!" In retrospect, starting us with Space Quest instead of King's Quest was one of my dad's better ideas.

Otherwise, being super excited to make it to

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
In grade 1 (1987ish) my classroom had a bunch of computers that were probably BBC micros or whatever microcomputer that had orange graphics. They were meant for education but they seemed to always be running Centipede. We were only allowed to play it during 15 minute recess and the rules were you got one life and then had to pass the keyboard over. I eventually got banned because I could spend the full 15 minutes without loosing a life. That was the best I have ever been at playing computer games.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

The first game I have any memory of playing was Pitfall back on the Atari 2600. I couldn't have been more than 4 years old or so-- and as I'm told, my parents got me the system on a doctor's recommendation to improve my coordination.

I'm still really terrible at Pitfall, but kudos to that doctor for prescribing me video games!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Adept Nightingale posted:

I'm still really terrible at Pitfall, but kudos to that doctor for prescribing me video games!

Haha holy poo poo you probably could have got a scrip for cigarettes and laudanum to boot

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not a doctor, but my son is learning disabled, and struggled with reading from the start. The only thing he was interested in reading? Pokemon and Yokai Watch games. His teachers pretty much went "Reading is reading. Have at it." He had to at least try at the stuff at school, but so long as he gave a summary of what was happening in his games, they'd let the at home reading be that. He reads books now, because he got obsessed with the TV versions of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants, but for a long while, it was just those games he cared enough to actually bother trying to read.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
my first game would probably be some edutainment game like roger rabbit or something, but my first normal game would probably like Super Mario Land 2. Honorable mention goes to the games I would watch my older siblings play but didn't get to play myself until years later, like Monster Rancher 2, Bugs Bunny Lost in Time, Megaman 8, Megaman X4, Metal Gear Solid, etc

edit: Reader Rabbit. Meant to say Reader Rabbit, not Roger Rabbit

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 28, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Big Word posted:

I'm pretty sure the first game I ever played was the shareware version of Secret Agent on DOS, back in 1994-1995. It probably came from one of my older brother's dozens of cover disks, our parents were extremely anti video games when we were small but they couldn't stop him from saving up and secretly buying PC Gamer :kiddo:

OOh my god, Secret Agent was amazing! I loved this game a lot as a child.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pac-Man, for the legendary Atari 5200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat Secret Agent is loving HARD