Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My favorite MUD of all time was this one called Core 2650. It was set on a futuristic mining colony. I enjoyed it because it had a cool story to it and long elaborate story quests. There was a whole system for mining/refining minerals and blasting out new mine shafts. The economy was completely player-run and there were a bunch of different shops in the game that players could work at to make a profit. It wasn't about power fantasies, it was a nice blend of just traditional character building with elaborate world building. It kept a fairly small community (at the absolute peak, I think there would be no more than 30 people online at one time).

Problem with having such an integrated player experience is that as soon as the population dies down, the whole game basically becomes an unplayable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I spent a good year wasting a lot of time playing the only MUD and only MMO I've ever played since, being Gemstone III on AOL

I would sneak out of bed at night to play for hoooooooours, getting absolutely nowhere every time because most of the people playing were super hardcore and hostile, but I still had tons of fun loving around in a kobold village hidden in a briar patch before I realized it just wasn't enjoyable banging my head against obtuse systems and unhelpful players to try to advance past level 3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only MUD I ever really got into was CthulhuMUD. Everything from a standard fantasy MUD was reworked to kinda-sorta make sense in 1920s Massachusetts. I played a cop, so I could start with a decent melee skill, and went around beating Miskatonic students to death so I could level. Then the zoogs came for me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

thicc_waluigi posted:

The goblins did nothing wrong

The goblins had it coming :colbert:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

All running around with their target shields and short swords in the farmlands west of the crossing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Was there a connection between Gemstone 3 and Dragonrealms? I remember there was a carving on a tree in DR in s'lai scouts that said "Harcourt was here" or something like that, that I had some notion was a reference to Gemstone, but I'm not sure where I got that from or who Harcourt was, if I got the name right even.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

A Strange Aeon posted:

Was there a connection between Gemstone 3 and Dragonrealms? I remember there was a carving on a tree in DR in s'lai scouts that said "Harcourt was here" or something like that, that I had some notion was a reference to Gemstone, but I'm not sure where I got that from or who Harcourt was, if I got the name right even.

I don't think there was ever any explicit link (Harcourt being a prominent GemStone player in the very old days but the shared name is probably a coincidence) and officially there's no direct connection. If you compare the astronomy of the two worlds it's implied that one of the GemStone moons hatches into the World Dragon of DragonRealms, but it's very hypothetical.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
I think they both are set in the world of Elanthia so that led to speculation about how they are linked, don’t recall anything official though

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Were there Gemstone 1 and 2, speaking of which and did they have any connection? I vaguely remember reading some article or forum post probably 15 years ago about those games, something about there being actual dragons that flew overhead whose shadows would pass over certain rooms or something like that.

Are there any good resources for world lore and mysteries, especially for Dragonrealms but even just a history of Simutronics and their games would be cool.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Gemstone 1 was never really public, and 2 was only out for a year or so until it turned into 3. 3 was out for 13 years.

I dont think anyone ever got their promised gems, eh?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazvall posted:

Gemstone 1 was never really public, and 2 was only out for a year or so until it turned into 3. 3 was out for 13 years.

I dont think anyone ever got their promised gems, eh?

I remember at some point in Dragonrealms there was a news article about finding coupons to redeem for real world gems, is that what you're referring to? Or was that originally a Gemstone idea in the first place?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You were supposed to be able to find gemstones in the game and win them in real life, I believe. Hence the name of the game.

DR and Gemstone are run by the same company iirc, they're kinda shady assholes in some respects.

Ah yes DR is simply thousands of years in the future.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2019

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

anecdotally every single person i've ever conversed with who uses "nod" has played muds at some point (because i make it a point to ask, outing myself as a mudder)

I think MUDs probably contributed more to internet culture than we appreciate, especially gamer culture.

Parachute posted:

anecdotally every single person i've ever conversed with who uses "nod" has played muds at some point (because i make it a point to ask, outing myself as a mudder)

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I was deep into Achaea from, like, 2008 to 2011. Kind of staggered it's still going, though it seems the player count never really goes beyond 100 these days? I remember it not being uncommon to have 2-300 people on at a time back in my heyday. If anyone was around back then and involved in CIJ House politics, well, sorry (both for the fact you were in the CIJ and for the endless weird drama that went on). Last big event I recall was Clementius' leaving party, and rushing to be the person to drop a Weaver's Fern on the Delos Bridge.

drat, now I'm all nostalgic.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Oh god, Achaea. I got suckered into both that and CIJ until I realised there was a serious lack of RL respect and a ridiculous “insanity” rule. Doubly so given that it was apparently not insane to be walking down the road, see a sheep in a field, and beat it to death.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 17, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I decided to check out Discworld again, this time as a thief named Cugel, and there's been about 60 people online every time I've connected, which is cool. I like that the game rewards a thoughtful reading of the room description rather than just glancing at the summary of items / NPCs at the bottom of the desc., but I dislike that abbreviations of items and names don't seem to be a thing (no "kill gob", it's gonna be "kill goblin" every time unless you manually define an alias)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pham Nuwen posted:

I decided to check out Discworld again, this time as a thief named Cugel, and there's been about 60 people online every time I've connected, which is cool. I like that the game rewards a thoughtful reading of the room description rather than just glancing at the summary of items / NPCs at the bottom of the desc., but I dislike that abbreviations of items and names don't seem to be a thing (no "kill gob", it's gonna be "kill goblin" every time unless you manually define an alias)

That would drive me insane. Nice name choice, by the way--can you earn a 'the Clever' epithet somehow?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

That would drive me insane. Nice name choice, by the way--can you earn a 'the Clever' epithet somehow?

I'm a fast typer so it doesn't bother me too much, but Diku habits make me want to type "k g", "sac cor", etc.

I loving hope I can get the epithet! I've been re-reading the Dying Earth stories and they're just a blast.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
For what it's worth, the Disc has lots of dumb parser tricks, they're just different from most other places. Check out "help nickname" (they're basically aliases, but for nouns) and "help parser" (notably, it understands pronouns, so after "kill goblin" you can do "stab him with my weapon" and it'll work fine, probably).

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Enjoy this Wired article about MUDs that I found:

https://www.wired.com/2005/03/keyboard-is-mightier-than-sword/

"The look of the games has evolved little, though special engines can be downloaded that add such whiz-bang features as colored text."

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I put way too much time into Dragon's Gate way back when.

Guess I'll need to give A Tempest Season a shot, though, IIRC, every other spiritual successor has flamed out so far.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I used to play HellMOO a bit when I first saw it here then dropped off after a while, love the idea of playing MUDs but HellMOO had a lot of quality of life features that made it easier to play for me. Didn't do too much when I played but some of the stories that came out of that game were the funniest things I've ever heard.

Really regret not giving Wayfar 1444 a chance when I could've since I'm a huge sucker for any type of survival setting where you build your way up. Are there any MUDs still around that scratch that itch? I've toyed with the idea of making one myself but there's a ton of different codebases to start from and I have no idea what the benefits of each are.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If you were going to make something, I always hope people take up Evennia because it seems really modern with quite a bit of QOL baked in, coding in python and support for 21st century databases, but tragically 10 years too late.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Someday I am going to sit down and make my dream MUD- HellMOO but with fantasy tropes instead of sci-fi.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Arven posted:

Someday I am going to sit down and make my dream MUD- HellMOO but with fantasy tropes instead of sci-fi.

Do it! What would you keep? What would you make different?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

piL posted:

If you were going to make something, I always hope people take up Evennia because it seems really modern with quite a bit of QOL baked in, coding in python and support for 21st century databases, but tragically 10 years too late.

I haven't checked back in on it in a long time but last I saw there were migration problems modernizing from python 2 to 3

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I took a look at Evennia and it looks like the latest release is using Python 3 now, seems to work okay but I don't know how good the underlying systems are. The community around it seems pretty active too which is super useful if you're like me and are starting out without too much experience.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Hawke posted:

I took a look at Evennia and it looks like the latest release is using Python 3 now, seems to work okay but I don't know how good the underlying systems are. The community around it seems pretty active too which is super useful if you're like me and are starting out without too much experience.

https://github.com/evennia/evennia/wiki/Getting-Started#requirements

Awesome

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If by underlying systems you mean database access, netcode, and dev tools, it seems pretty capable from my amateur eye. And it adds some interesting web functionality. If you mean gameplay stuff, it's quite the blank slate. But so was MOO when it was used to dev HellMOO. From what I remember reading the threads and the in game BBS, the lack of access to the code under the hood of MOO and the difficulty of coding for it definitely inhibited development late in the project.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I just put together an Evennia server. If people are interested in poking around under the hood, pm me or hit me up in TG discord, and I'll figure out how to make you an account for the server and a super user in the db. I dont really have any experience managing a project, and I'm sure it'll break, so make sure you save your code!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

piL posted:

Do it! What would you keep? What would you make different?

I would keep all HellMOO systems except for the sex stuff. Just a reskin in a Disenchanted-like fantasy setting.

I don't have the time to work on any of that though, it's just fun to think about.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arven posted:

I would keep all HellMOO systems except for the sex stuff. Just a reskin in a Disenchanted-like fantasy setting.

I don't have the time to work on any of that though, it's just fun to think about.

Having done some MOO coding, the thing I never quite liked about MOO was that it always felt like you were just kind of slinging code around and good luck ever finding something again. Everything's just an object with a number, and objects inherit from other objects, and all this sounds like a great idea until you realize you're not working with the Smalltalk GUI, you're trying to explore the object tree & examine code using the world's clunkiest command line.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Yeah, my next question is how well commented do you think HellMOO is. Would I basically be reverse engineering if I tried to translate features into Python?

piL fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 13, 2019

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Having done some MOO coding, the thing I never quite liked about MOO was that it always felt like you were just kind of slinging code around and good luck ever finding something again.

I could never get into MOOs for this reason. LPC was much more controlled with source files in a filesystem. Though of course it wasn't designed to be persistent across reboots.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

piL posted:

Yeah, my next question is how well commented do you think HellMOO is. Would I basically be reverse engineering if I tried to translate features into Python?

Hellcore has basically no comments. The hellwiki has a few things and the help file has a couple more things. That's it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Eat The Rich posted:

Hellcore has basically no comments. The hellwiki has a few things and the help file has a couple more things. That's it.

Also the code that makes up actual features like mobs and rooms is stored in some binary database, it's not a bunch of files somewhere.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

It's just one text big file. It's kind of wild that it still holds up.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
having seen the amount of coders falling to the insanity of the hellcore i'm p sure it would be easier to write something from scratch...

or just something even hackier that makes haskell look like lua :unsmigghh:

also stabs did nothing wrong

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Are any of y'all part of the MUD Coders Guild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i broke the Guild Code and now I life my life as an outlaw coder on the fringe of society, getting dev gigs when I can *shoots giant cloud of vape smoke everywhere*