Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Do they still sell the fuckoff huge paper bag of fries? I haven't been in like 10 years but one largest size fry was enough for a table of 4 and helped offset the overall cost.

Yeah, they do. The first time I ever had 5 guys I kind of knew about the fries and ordered a small. The guy at the register screamed back in a very sarcastic way, "SMALL FRY". I still got a full bag of fries and they were delicious, but also gently caress that guy.

What I can't figure out is why the regular fries are crispy but the cajun fries are soggy af. Is it the spices soaking up the grease? The cajun fries are still good as hell but why can't they be crispy?? I get seasoned fries from a local Greek place and they season the gently caress out of them right in front of me and they are still crispy so I don't know what the hell is going on at 5 guys.

I just want crispy cajun fries, is that too much to ask???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought about getting Five Guys, then I saw the prices :stonk:

They were expensive a few years ago and seemed to have increased since then. christ

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

TheBizzness posted:

I like Culver’s but Five Guys burgers are so superior and to suggest sorry rear end smash burger is even playing the same sport is nonsense!

I have no clue what's wrong with this planet if people strongly prefer Five Guys to Culver's. :cripes:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Idk why but last time I went to 5g the cheese was fuckin nasty on the burger. If they had cheese options it's be 5/5 but it's 2/5 for me rn despite the "oh my dayum" guy reccomendation

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/DcJFdCmN98s
You bite the fry, the fry bites back my man

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jinh posted:

Idk why but last time I went to 5g the cheese was fuckin nasty on the burger. If they had cheese options it's be 5/5 but it's 2/5 for me rn despite the "oh my dayum" guy reccomendation

I posted about this exact same experience on the last page, it's hard to wrap your mind around cheese making a burger worse.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Double Cheeseburger w/ A1, Hot Sauce, Grilled Onions, and Grilled Jalapenos

drat tasty.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Airport 5 guys has 5 guys breakfast

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Derpies posted:

Haha. I bet you had 5 guys for breakfast

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Derpies posted:

The whole of airport breakfast is getting drunk at 10AM while eating pizza, not Five Guys!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I’ve really ever gotten crisp fries from Five Guys (unless you count the tiny slivers). They’re always limp.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Five guys fries are the saltiest loving thing I've ever tasted. Burgers and shakes are pretty drat good though

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
My main complaint with 5 guys is how long it takes. Before they franchised all over the world I made a point once to get to the Old Town Alexandria place right as they opened at 11am. I was customer #1. I ordered a little cheeseburger and fries. I got my food at 11:20.

I don't get the complaints about the cheese. It is the only cheeseburger place where the cheese is completely melted onto the burger. If you didn't see them put it on there before cooking you wouldn't be able to tell the size or shape. And it does taste good if you like a lot of grease. The fries are lovely that's why they give you so much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cwinkle posted:

The fries are lovely that's why they give you so much.

If you think the fries are bad you need to give an example of good fast food fries.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
Arby's curly fries I guess. The spicy ones. Chickfila waffle fries are also pretty good if they are hot. McDonald's hash browns are consistently great.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

pentyne posted:

If you think the fries are bad you need to give an example of good fast food fries.

if you put fries in a cup and let them steam they will always be lovely

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Five Guys have taken cherry off of their milkshake menu and I’m proper forlorn over it. The chocolate cherry malt was my favorite thing about going there :(

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
every time i tell them to give me a literal bucket of a1 sauce i get one tiny droplet of it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Anonymous Robot posted:

Five Guys have taken cherry off of their milkshake menu and I’m proper forlorn over it. The chocolate cherry malt was my favorite thing about going there :(

I think nearly every fast food place has done this. McDonalds, BK, some Chick-Fila's. It's the best loving part of the milkshake :(

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think nearly every fast food place has done this. McDonalds, BK, some Chick-Fila's. It's the best loving part of the milkshake :(

Oh, I meant cherry as a flavor option, but yeah, agreed. Sonic are kings for putting a lime wedge and cherry in their soft drinks, and even pinning the cherry to the drink lid so it’s easy to get at.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm the only one in my entire circle of friends who likes five guys fries, they want them thinner and crispier, so I get outvoted and never get to go. Sadly it makes me think it's better than it really is.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Exactly one time I was able to ask Five Guys to cook my fries extra long and they were incredible. I ask every time and sometimes they say they will but they never do.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Has the best Five Guys of my life tonight. Bacon cheeseburger with just grilled onions and grilled mushrooms. Regular fries with a splash of malt vinegar. Often I overcomplicate the burger with too many condiments (A1 sauce has no place on anything tbh) but I was rewarded by playing it safe.

----------------

mondomole
Jun 16, 2023

Futanari Damacy posted:

A1 sauce has no place on anything tbh

Blasphemy. A1 is amazing on fries and it’s acceptable on scrambled eggs. :)

I miss the stacks of peanuts all over the place. Not sure if this is nationwide but around here they still have the pandemic (and/or profit margin) protections in place so if you want peanuts you have to request some JetBlue sized portion at the counter. Look, I’ve already downed a weekly allowance of grease so I’m not exactly trying to stay healthy here. Bring back the peanuts! I want to FEAST on those peanuts!!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I tried making some Five Guys cajun seasoning and whilst it was nice in its own right, it was gently caress all like the real thing.

Bacon cheeseburger, jalapenos (like the one place I've ever comes across that has them fresh not pickled, love it), extra bacon, extra hot sauce. With a pot of hot sauce on the side for drizzling, and a pot of cajun seasoning since there's never enough on the fries. And a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

and a pot of cajun seasoning since there's never enough on the fries.

You sir, are a pervert

----------------

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You sir, are a pervert

no such thing as too much cajun seasoning from five guys. he may be a pervert, but this is the truth.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I wish they double-cooked the fries, they're too soggy most of the time.

----------------

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

I wish they double-cooked the fries, they're too soggy most of the time.

I read this online once as a “menu hack” type of thing and proceeded to ask for my fries well done. They were insanely good. The next couple of times I asked for that, the clerk denied me, so I stopped trying. poo poo rocked tho

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Biscats n Gravy posted:

no such thing as too much cajun seasoning from five guys. he may be a pervert, but this is the truth.

The one on Argyll Street in central London absolutely cakes them in it, like, they come out of the bag red.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You sir, are a pervert

Thanks I try.

I got an extra patty today. It was a good move.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Why put the cheese on bottom? I feel like that has a good portion to do with why so much of it ran off the sides and off onto the paper instead of melting on the patties.

I mean, I'm not saying you did this, but more of a weird decision for them to make, probably to be "different" as a franchise, but it just seems unintuitive and dumb.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
They don't charge for extra cheese. I can't think of another place where that is also the case. Their continuously rising prices have always made me feel like, so far, they haven't compromised the 'quality' of any of their items, where I've never gotten that feeling with any other chain.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cheesburger, mayo, mustard, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, done. Regular fries because why overdo it when you can overdo it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I find I still have to salt the Cajun fries so what’s the point

----------------

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
5 Guys is exactly what you want when you're drunk and crave a big, fat, sloppy, drippy-rear end burger.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Futanari Damacy posted:

I find I still have to salt the Cajun fries so what’s the point

You don't get an extra pot of the seasoning? I used to get that when I didn't think there was enough on them, now I just do it regardless.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What is the "pot" in this instance? I'm picturing like a little cast iron cauldron filled with old bay seasoning

----------------

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wish it was.

I don't know a better word for it, a tiny clear plastic container for sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Like this exact thing?

The technical name for this is a ramekin but in my experience most people just refer to it by what it contains- a dip, or a sauce for example. The pizza place near me gives their chilies and parm in these to-go, but I would just ask for chilies or parm and not a container of chilies or a container of parm

----------------