Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
update I'm at a chinese buffet I've never tried before

This one is in a kind of poorer neighborhood and requires pre-payment which is new to me.

It's also got tamales and taquitos on the buffet. But no Egg Rolls, only spring rolls :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

bird with big dick posted:

Can’t you make that at home for like 4 dollars

I mean, yes. But can I eat 10lbs of it in one sitting at home?

Also, possibly, yes.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

do you guys ever feel kind of bad eating alone at a chinese buffet

i mostly do not, but it is sometimes striking to be the only person there solo

also, i worry that the server will take away my cup rather than refill it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

wolfs posted:

as someone who has to eat alone a lot, the trick is to act like you deserve to be there. because you do. don't let people shame you. they can sense your trepidation like a horse would.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

wolfs posted:

gently caress no. I feel bad for the people that aren’t alone. If you’re going out to eat with another human being go somewhere nice with some ambience instead of a place designed to facilitate the ingestion of 8 pounds of krab cheese

sports
Sep 1, 2012

wolfs posted:

I just feel bad for the people who are there sober

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I know it's not buffet, but I had Panda Express last night and it was trash, soooooooo

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Never eat Panda

I don't think I've been to a Chinese buffet since I was a kid but 99 Ranch, a Chinese supermarket primarily located in California, has this awesome thing where you take one of those three section to go containers and just cram it full of all this delicious steam table food for like $10. Tons of variety. And when I say cram it full, I mean to the point where you can't even close the lid on it. I've tried different strats to get the most food possible, but those lil ol Chinese ladies always end up putting me to shame. (also I feel a little guilty taking that much food)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wolfs posted:

I never eat alone because it would be rude of me to take up the only good window view for myself, the one that overlooks a swamp and the neighbor's trashy back yard full of rusting exercise equipment.

Also wow you get your drinks refilled? I have to refill my own.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

platzapS posted:

Love going with a dumbass friend who leaves bloated and regretful while I'm sailing out on a smooth buffet high. They don't get that a buffet isn't about quantity. You can get quantity at Costco. It's about variety.

STRATS:

Round One requires discipline. While my idiot friend is dumping heaps of rice onto his plate I'm sampling (almost comically) small portions from a dozen different buckets. This is the exploratory round, trying to find out what's on offer.

Round Two is a hybrid. You can start specializing in the stuff you like, but again, keep the portions small. There's still so much to discover. This is the first round where fried rice is acceptable.

Round Three and beyond is your reward. You have sought and gained knowledge and may indulge in your discoveries.

Desert: a separate concurrent plate for shrinkwrapped cookies, gelatin, and odd little slices of pie.

Pro strategies here

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

hakimashou posted:

thai buffet restaurants are way better

There was a Thai place where I live that had a small lunch buffet but the owner retired or something and now it's gone. It kicked rear end.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t eat rice at a Chinese buffet.

Do scoop all the shrimp out of the seafood delight leaving behind the krab and celery.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

AF posted:

Never eat Panda

I don't think I've been to a Chinese buffet since I was a kid but 99 Ranch, a Chinese supermarket primarily located in California, has this awesome thing where you take one of those three section to go containers and just cram it full of all this delicious steam table food for like $10. Tons of variety. And when I say cram it full, I mean to the point where you can't even close the lid on it. I've tried different strats to get the most food possible, but those lil ol Chinese ladies always end up putting me to shame. (also I feel a little guilty taking that much food)

huh, good tip. a 99 Ranch opened not tooo far away from me (Austin), and I've never gone inside. I knew it was a Chinese market but I have an H Mart with a food court and all their other interesting stuff even closer, so I never bothered to check it out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wolfs posted:

huh, good tip. a 99 Ranch opened not tooo far away from me (Austin), and I've never gone inside. I knew it was a Chinese market but I have an H Mart with a food court and all their other interesting stuff even closer, so I never bothered to check it out.

The ones Ive been to in CA have big ol fried chicken legs at the hot table. Some stores will even let you order fresh made noodles at the same counter (beef chow fun/singapore curry noodles) and you get a fuckload of noodles for 7 bucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I eat too many beef wontons at chinese buffets

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What's up with people saying not to eat rice at a Chinese buffet? I need my starch, drat it!

Also, there's an Indian lunch buffet around the corner from the office and hoooooly poo poo. So amazing. :allears:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ate at a Chinese buffet. Awesome food great lineup of fatty chicken and lo mien. General tsos and pepper steak always a great choice. This one also does fresh sushi and a hibachi grill if that's your thing. 5 outta 5 for 12 dollars. Just didn't have crab legs but did have crayfish. Not eating the clams though.

Also had the loney American food sitting under the hot lights for forever itseemed. Anyone dumb enough to eat the cheese pizza deserved the horrible cardboard they got. God it looked like it was a rock.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

YeahTubaMike posted:

What's up with people saying not to eat rice at a Chinese buffet? I need my starch, drat it!
It's pretty obvious. Fried rice is so cheap to make, most standard Chinese takeout restaurants throw in an extra container once you spend $25 on your order. A lot of lemon chicken could be eaten instead of this fool's carb.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Had a real good chinese buffet close to my place. Crab legs and crawfish for lunch owns. There's also an "american" style buffet next door which is like that lone american food sitting under the heat lamps except most of the buffet is like that. It also had ribs and a grill to request for overdone lovely quality steaks. I'd put that place above Golden Coral.

The Rage posted:

you know you've hit the big time with a chinese buffet when they have an amazing fish tank

Nah the real big time is when they have koi ponds.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kuddles posted:

A lot of lemon chicken could be eaten instead of this fool's carb.

:hai:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

it's the same rookie mistake people do when going to brazilian steakhouses for $50-75/head

they hit up the salad bar because "healthy" or whatever, and waste precious stomach space on green leaves instead of more meat

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

kloa posted:

it's the same rookie mistake people do when going to brazilian steakhouses for $50-75/head

they hit up the salad bar because "healthy" or whatever, and waste precious stomach space on green leaves instead of more meat

You’ve gotta have some fiber, or else your shits will be, at a minimum, nightmarish.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You’ve gotta have some fiber, or else your shits will be, at a minimum, nightmarish.

You can use grease instead of fiber

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kloa posted:

Agh gad, that was my experience at Fogo de Chao the first time I went. The salad bar was incredible.

Never made that mistake again.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My local American Chinese buffet served dope crab rangoon and let me purchase Mai Tais when I was 16, god bless. It's still open and thriving.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 24, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What would be the best buffet food that doesn't exist as a buffet?

I'm thinking wings.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

TheAardvark posted:

I'm thinking wings.

you know how there are hot dogs that just sit around on a roller for hours?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss the Chinese buffet that my family used to go to when I was a kid. Motherfucking fried beef wontons were my jam, and no other chinese buffet has been able to scratch that itch the same way.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

TheAardvark posted:

I'm thinking wings.

An all-you-can-eat wing buffet that serves nothing but chicken wings already tossed with various sauces? I'm down.

Wings were probably part of the reason I went to the old Chinese buffet in my hometown. Tell myself I'm refueling after busting my rear end at the gym, and then chowing down on protein-filled chicken wings and assorted beef and vegetable dishes? Good times.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
dammit i have avoided the lovely chinese buffet in my new city and now im probably gonna go this week, god dammit

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I never appreciated king crab legs at mandarin enough until they were gone.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Do Large Chinese Combos from suburban food courts fit in here?

Im gonna guess they do.

Large Chinese Combo - Rice or noodles and 4 choices from the bain-marie crammed into a plastic takeaway container.

Its always the standards: Beef blackbean, Sweet&sour pork, Mongolian beef, Satay chicken, etc etc..

Extremely generic westernised Chinese food. Usually about AU$12. I love it.

Some combos I have ate:

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 27, 2020

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I extremely miss the Mongolian Barbecue :smith:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My wife introduced me to the concept of “Mall Chicken.”

It’s just Mongolian chicken from whatever place in the food court has the Asian ladies who most aggressively thrust chicken-laden toothpicks toward your eyeballs, but it’s been sitting in the hot plate for god knows how long, absorbing all the odors and flavors and general ambience of the mall and it somehow just tastes amazing when combined with papery noodles and greasy sauce in a cozy styrofoam sarcophagus.

Hell yeah.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The mall I used to work at years ago had the best tasting Hibachi I have ever had, to this day.

It was cooked fresh, and it was cheap as gently caress, and one day they closed to remodel and decided never to re-open :smith:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Hazo posted:

My wife introduced me to the concept of “Mall Chicken.”

It’s just Mongolian chicken from whatever place in the food court has the Asian ladies who most aggressively thrust chicken-laden toothpicks toward your eyeballs, but it’s been sitting in the hot plate for god knows how long, absorbing all the odors and flavors and general ambience of the mall and it somehow just tastes amazing when combined with papery noodles and greasy sauce in a cozy styrofoam sarcophagus.

Hell yeah.

I'll go thru the mall food court multiple times just to get those toothpick samples.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I really miss the Chinese buffet I went to as a stoned teen to 20 something. It was so loving delicious. And not just while stoned, though of course that always helped. I went there recently and it was godawful. Under new management, the food was somehow even greasier and now utterly tasteless and not fresh at all.

Look, it was greasy before, but at least it was fresh and had a lot of flavor. Literally the second best General Tso's I've ever had was in that sketchy as gently caress place. It was spicy, it was sweet, the breading was fried to that sweet spot between too hard and too soft...just perfection. I would eat it with white rice and practically lick the plate. Everything was good there. Mongolian beef, green beans, shrimp and veggies, teriyaki chicken, beef and broccoli, Chinese donuts, even the cut fruit and little cakes trays were poppin'. They had some kind of coffee cake roll that was addictive as gently caress.

I have never been to a single Chinese buffet that compares in 15 loving years. There's not enough weed or alcohol in the world to make a lovely Chinese buffet into the Chinese buffet from my youth.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
The one I lived near a few years back had 3$ zombies and usually undercharged us because we'd have most of a softball team in there a couple times a week. Their food was pretty solid all-around. Excellent dumplings, general, coconut shrimp, beef and broccoli and crab Rangoon were always fresh. Their drinks were killer tho, they actually made them right, with 151 in them, but they tasted delicious. I don't think i ever got less than four plates. Piled high

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

My local Chinese buffet has just lost its alcohol licence as they were caught being involved in some dodgy poo poo.

Under "starters" they have chicken nuggets, fries, spring rolls and vegetable samosas and I have to always restrain myself from just loading up my plate with fried poo poo and going to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That’s what you’re supposed to do the first plate is always fried appetizer poo poo and the second plate is the higher end entrees (shrimp etc) third plate is sushi if they have it and fourth plate is Mongolian if they have it and the fifth plate is the beef/chicken entrees and then six plate is any stuff you want to try but haven’t had room for yet and seventh plate is seconds of the stuff that you liked from the previous plates and eighth is desert plate.