Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u have regional options
Yes
No
Goku
Thanks for this forum BURT!
View Results

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Iron Crowned posted:

Interesting. You know what you have in the PNW that you should have mentoned? loving Ivar's you heathen!

Why talk about Ivar's (extremely good) when we can talk about Skippers and their bottomless clam chowder/shrimp/fries/clam strips? For ten dollars you can eat fried fish, drink clams, and eat french fries until you're too satisfied to get up and demand more deep-fried shrimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

But will seagulls catch the french fries out of the air that you throw to them at Skippers?

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 24, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

But will seagulls catch the french fries out of the air that you throw to them at Skippers?

you stun the seagull with a well aimed bowl of chowder, employees in weathered leathers take it away, suddenly in the basket in front of you is what the server ominously refers to as sea chicken

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

Beef-a-Roo is an unusual chain of 7 fast food restaurants exclusive to Rockford, IL and its nearby towns.

They have a big menu with a large variety of sandwiches and salads. Their burgers are fine, at best a little better than McDonald's, but their other options are where they stand out more. I've always liked their hot ham and swiss sandwhiches and their salads are actually very good. Pretty good roast beef sandwiches as well.

By far their biggest draw though are their cheese fries:

Inside, they have a dining setup similar to Culver's with numbers given out and food brought to the table. However they go a step further and have folks going around giving people after-dinner mints.

If you are ever in the Rockford area then I'd definitely recommend stopping at one of these.

They're one of the few places you can get an olive burger outside of Iowa and Grand Rapids.

An olive burger is chopped Spanish green olives and mayo combined into a spread on a swiss cheeseburger. I was told by a coworker that olive burgers were in vogue in the 80s but I haven't found really any info.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I drove across Ontario a few years back and I had two things on my list to do. One, Tim Hortons. Two, Smokes.

Tim Hortons was jam loving packed and it sucked. The 2nd Tim Hortons was also packed and it too sucked.

But Smokes... Holy poo poo.

About an hour away from New London Ontario it started to snow. 20 miles later it's like semi-trucks in the ditch bad. But gently caress it, I'm going to Smokes. I finally crawl through the edge of town and walk into Smokes place. The least enthused Canadian I've ever met asks me what I want. So I tell her it's my first time having poutine and she turns from bored goth girl to the biggest poutine fan girl ever. Seeing as it's my first time I get just a classic poutine. This poo poo was amazing. I sat in the window, watched it snow, and gorged myself on fried potatoes, gravy, cheese curds and steaky bits.

I had like a pound of this poo poo left so I drove on the freeway in a blizzard snacking on that glorious poutine for the next 3 hours.

My only regret was not buying more Smokes as it's like a 5 hour drive for me to get more.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Brolander posted:

Yeah...I'm thinking I'm rax

I ate at a Rax last year, it was pretty decent and the best curly fries I've ever had. They even still had a salad bar.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This reminds me that there’s a Smokes in Berkeley, CA that I have been meaning to go to for nearly 5 years now...

The one time I encountered one was at the Toronto Zoo and it was closed :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fartington Butts posted:

This reminds me that there’s a Smokes in Berkeley, CA that I have been meaning to go to for nearly 5 years now...

Yeah, smokes is alright. They also have a food truck that you might be able to catch if you go to an Off the Grid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
In Connecticut, Frankie's is a really solid hot dog place, they've been around forever. They do a ton of speciality dogs, fried seafood, burgers, ribeye sandwiches, etc and it's all pretty good. The standout for me is their chili. I fuckin love a good chili dog and these are probably my favorite. Highly recommended. I can remember when there was only the original where I grew up but there're a few of them scattered around the state these days.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

shadow puppet of a posted:

That is quite beautiful. I want to Roadtrip down to a Pal's for a chipped ham and a sauceburger.

The phrase "chipped ham" grosses me out

Also did they even TRY to make the second sandwich look appetizing :gonk:

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Braums.........

Ice cream and chicken tenders. Burgers. Random other poo poo on the menu that is probably okay. They do a nice breakfast too for fast food. Great seasonal ice cream flavours.

And I like the little store they have inside, definitely would rather get milk from there in a pinch than $6 at Walgreens.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
The last city I lived in had a Freddy's and I liked their fries a LOT but the food was a bit too expensive to enjoy much. Good tho

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
I guess none of those are interesting.

There is uhhhh..... Bill Miller's BBQ which I feel bad for anyone visiting Texas from like Canada who goes there and thinks that is Good Southern BBQ, but it is a good lunch in the middle of a hard shift. They pay alright too in some cities.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Craig K posted:

braums has the best shakes on the planet, imo

Came to post love for Braums, best fast food burgers in town.

Also wondering how far Taco Casa extends? See it a lot in north Texas and it's the best taco fast food around.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
I enjoy Taco Casa and the free little sodas

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

ANUSTART posted:

And I like the little store they have inside, definitely would rather get milk from there in a pinch than $6 at Walgreens.

$6 for milk???

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2

- Wisdom of the ages.
maybe more like $5 but yeah its price hiked when they know u desperate and probably have kids waiting

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ANUSTART posted:

The last city I lived in had a Freddy's and I liked their fries a LOT but the food was a bit too expensive to enjoy much. Good tho

I like Freddy's. It is a bit expensive I agree although it's a nice Saturday lunch treat in the park here and there.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's all about the loving North Shore roast beef sandwich motherfuckers. you want a drive-thru? hit up Kelly's. you want a fine meal in the comfort of a dingy parlor? hit up Harrison's. you know you want this Boston beef. you just have to decide how to get it in you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ANUSTART posted:

Braums.........

Ice cream and chicken tenders. Burgers. Random other poo poo on the menu that is probably okay. They do a nice breakfast too for fast food. Great seasonal ice cream flavours.

Braums was one of the great things living in Oklahoma for part of my childhood.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Gino's of Baltimore, MD

They used to be paired up with KFC's back in the day.

According to older neighbors it was a lovely back then as it is now. I refuse to go there because the manager stepped in and got super pissed off when I tried to tip the employees around Christmas on a big order for coworkers a couple years ago.
Anyway gently caress Ginos

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only A&W restaurant I have ever been to was a diner in Thermopolis, Wyoming, where you called in your order at an orange phone that was at the booth and the server would bring it to you. They also had a bowling alley.

They shut down forever ago, but no one anywhere on this earth has ever heard of such a place.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There are a lot of Roy Rodgers in Maryland, I didn't realize, I thought it was just a place at NJ Turnpike rest stops.

Also giving a shout out to Duchess restaurants around Connecticut.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There was an A&W outside my hotel in Kuala Lumpur. The giant ice cold mugs of root beer were real loving good in the equatorial heat and humidity.

The curly fries were pretty good too.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
There was a place near my grandparents called the Frosty Top that was kind of like an A&W but was famous for root beer floats. Had a big 3D root beer mug on a post outside.

I saw it for the first time in ages a few years ago while on a work thing that happened to be in the area, but didn’t have time to relive the memories.

It burned down a few weeks later. Idk if they ever rebuilt it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I shall sing of a storied place, familiar to those who have ever taken a trip to Algonquin Provincial Park, or gone to a cottage in the Muskokas region of Ontario

-~There is a plaaaace, in north ontario-~ (Well it's not -really- North Ontario it's just over an hour from downtown Toronto)

Head up Highway 400 past Barrie. Then take Highway 11 past Orillia. You will start to see smoke on the horizon. The first sign of this magical place is an orange bridge crossing 4 lanes of traffic. The next thing you will see is a fuckload of train cars. Then you will see the old, wooden buildings with smoke pouring from the chimneys, and the sign outside reads CHARCOAL BARBEQUED HAMBURGERS - WEBERS

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...Qpx8wFHoECA8QCw

Webers has been an institution in Cottage Country since before I was born, since before my dad immigrated to Canada. Opened in 1963 as a pit stop for people headed up to their cottages in the Muskokas, entire generations of Ontarians have made the pilgrimage to Webers on a friday night or sunday afternoon. My GF's mom (who's been going to Webers since it opened) can remember having to run across the highway to get to the restaurant. It's on the northbound side, but people going southbound wanted to go to. So the owner bought a pedestrian footbridge and put it overtop the highway.

It's primarily ran by teenagers on summer vacation, smells awesomely like charcoal smoke, and accepts cash only. Someone will come out while you're in line, take your order, figure out your total, run inside with your cash and come back with change and a receipt. It's a really strange system that's somehow very efficient.

The burgers are char-broiled by a guy called the "key man" who has gotta be in his 80s. They're perfectly acceptable burgs, the fries get seasoning salt on them and the chocolate malts are tasty.

They've expanded the area quite a bit, there's two ordering sides in the building now and they've opened up a massive starbucks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Never been to A&W, but they have this where I grew up - (not the same Weber's as above)

They also have Stewart's all over the place.

Not root beer related, but can't forget about this one either -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Resting Lich Face posted:

Fried cheese curds are amazing and I am deeply thankful that they're not common where I am because I'd probably weigh 400lbs.

Please don’t fat shame

Fartington Butts posted:

I ate there a while ago and wasn’t that impressed but I didn’t actually order anything just ate some of what someone else ordered and maybe they ordered something bad.