Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

its because you dont put out janet

hes gona gently caress the eggs instead, like a real working man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

20 Blunts posted:

its because you dont put out janet

hes gona gently caress the eggs instead, like a real working man

If he's loving mini-eggs its no wonder she stopped putting out

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If he's loving mini-eggs its no wonder she stopped putting out

the fuckin or the eggs, really an age old question

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
it was a micro penis joke but that also works

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I have been WFH for years now and I can't begin to understand any of you that can't deal with it. Sorry you can't get good and learn to live the good life.

gently caress the amount of my time I've reclaimed is almost unfathomable. The hours not wasted commuting, it makes me weep.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

big nipples big life posted:

I would way rather sit at a desk for 8 hours than have anyone from work ever contact me on off hours.

:same:
I legit had to ask my colleagues how to set up my laptop at home. They were all like: 'you never read your mails at home??'
And I was like: '... Why?'

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Also my commute is a 10-minute bike ride, it's quite nice actually.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

shut up blegum posted:

Living the dream.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

FogHelmut posted:

How am I supposed to jerk off with my wife here all day?

Same. Really putting a cramp in my schedule

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

teraman posted:

Make a custom status also named Available and use that instead of the default.
This is genius for Jabber, thank you, but I can't find where to set it up in Outlook

shut up blegum posted:

The main thing I gather from all the replies itt is that you all like working from home because it makes it super easy to skip work . Thus, proving my initial statement, working from home sucks.
owns. I still had the same ratio of work:other in the office, I was just limited to dicking around online. At home I could still do that if I wanted, but I have the better options of starting dinner or taking a nap during lunch.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Anne Whateley posted:

Most important wfh question: does anyone have a good way to fake a permanently active/available status in Outlook and Jabber?

I know there are mouse wiggler programs, but I'd rather let the monitor go idle if that's a possibility

Open a command prompt. Set up a continuous ping (ping -t) to your gateway IP or whatever. For example, if your gateway is 192.168.1.1, type "ping -t 192.168.1.1" and hit enter.

Now that command prompt window is tied up with a neverending command and won't accept any keystroke input except Control+C. Put something heavy on your space bar, with that command prompt window selected as the window you're working in, and go fiddly-gently caress around.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

FogHelmut posted:

My husband has been juggling his giblets all day!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

buy her a vibrator

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

sudonim posted:

buy her a vibrator

*Boots up Amazon dot com*

*Adds "Doc Johnson's Great American Challenge" to cart*

*thinks*

*changes quantity to 2*

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oscar Wild posted:

*Boots up Amazon dot com*

*Adds "Doc Johnson's Great American Challenge" to cart*

*thinks*

*changes quantity to 2*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
also working from home is great. just as much productivity during the day except I don't have to shave or put on pants, plus I can pet my cats whenever I want and drink a beer at lunch. If I want social interaction I can just meet up with friends or go to a bar after work...

...except all the bars are closed in my city and gatherings are forbidden. That's the real tragedy.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Work from home pros:
- make good coffee any time
- cook fresh lunch
- can clean house while waiting for other things
- lots more cats time
- no commute cost or time
- never hearing people snacking
- no cacophony of conversation that drowns out the ability to do anything
- my work desk is in my bedroom so I can just chill in bed waiting for calls

Work from home cons:
- kinda lonely
- kinda boring being tethered to work for set hours still
- work is in your home and inescapable
- I have spent the last several days talking to cats and house plants because most of my face to face socialization is now gone
- cats are kinda dicks about hitting buttons
- so many phone meetings now. I had 5 today

I set my Skype to go inactive after 20 minutes and have sound on so if I need to be reached I can and it seems ok so far

Rat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 18, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm working for home for the first extended time in my life. Before it was just a few days here and there; mostly when I was sick but not so sick I couldn't be at a desk.

My partner WFH 100% of the time and loves it and I can see why. We're lucky enough that we each have our own offices at opposite ends of the house with a bathroom and kitchen between us.
I learned that a lot of my job is kinda filler? I'm an admin so most of what I do is answer a hug amount of questions about policy.

If people can't bug me at my desk, they figure it out themselves.
Pretty nice.

edit:

shut up blegum posted:

I'd kill for this if not WFH. My commute is an hour ride each way in a noisy, crowded bus and it makes me want to die.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 18, 2020

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
My issue with WFH as a concept is less the working from home itself (which has mostly been a positive thing in my experience) but that it seems the more people work from home the more companies get inspired to try stupid things to reduce office space like :airquote:going agile:airquote: in departments that aren't even development or tech. My department is the last hold out in the drat building on this and I will quit if they take away my desk and chair and try to corral me into using a locker and community counterspace. gently caress that.

Also, in general I don't like the idea of putting the onus to provide adequate workspace on the employee rather than the employer. That admittedly shouldn't be a big issue unless/until companies go whole-hog on WFH being 100% the norm, but it's the principle of the thing, you know?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

big nipples big life posted:

I would way rather sit at a desk for 8 hours than have anyone from work ever contact me on off hours.

Agreed but having to work at an office has never prevented anyone from calling me after hours with a question and exiting apps/turning off notifications after hours is trivial. Just set the expectation that work ends at a set time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I have a dog so working from home owns

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

I have a dog so working from home owns

This is somehow the weirdest and most relatable post on the forum

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Working from home sucks

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pick posted:

Working sucks

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I do it 2 days a week and am so unmotivated when I wfh it sucks.

Doing it for weeks isn't going to be fun, but hey I have a job still.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, no, work is the greatest. It gives me something to do, so I feel good.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I do it 2 days a week and am so unmotivated when I wfh it sucks.

Doing it for weeks isn't going to be fun, but hey I have a job still.

what I'm gettin from this thread is that the wfh haters:
* Can't compartmentalize work from life
* Have no internal discipline

and that they compensate by forcing a (potentially long) distance from home to work and getting peer pressured into productivity

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/torriangray/status/1239976250778640385?s=19

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sudonim posted:

what I'm gettin from this thread is that the wfh haters:
* Can't compartmentalize work from life
* Have no internal discipline

and that they compensate by forcing a (potentially long) distance from home to work and getting peer pressured into productivity

oh yes. absolutely

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

it's the principle of the thing, you know?

I do not know, can you elaborate?

Most jobs (in the US at least) put the costs of transportation on to their employees already, so removing that and adding the work space seems like a lateral move or better. This thread already has a lot of people saying they do not miss their horrible commute. I'd wager that sentiment will only grow in the weeks to come.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I do not know, can you elaborate?

Most jobs (in the US at least) put the costs of transportation on to their employees already, so removing that and adding the work space seems like a lateral move or better. This thread already has a lot of people saying they do not miss their horrible commute. I'd wager that sentiment will only grow in the weeks to come.

Pennsylvania is larger than England. It's a pretty small state all things considered. It is a six hour drive from Philadelphia to Pittsburg.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

roarpower posted:

Pennsylvania is larger than England. It's a pretty small state all things considered. It is a six hour drive from Philadelphia to Pittsburg.

That is one hell of a commute. Do you do it daily?

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That is one hell of a commute. Do you do it daily?

god no. do you take me for an idiot?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

roarpower posted:

What does this have to do with anything.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

lots of things if you care about travelinging

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

roarpower posted:

god no. do you take me for an idiot?

No offense intended. I have met otherwise smart people who think driving five hours a day to and from a job that's been telecommutable for a quarter century perfectly normal.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No offense intended. I have met otherwise smart people who think driving five hours a day to and from a job that's been telecommutable for a quarter century perfectly normal.

dude we both grew up in the 90s. no one believed that

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

apparently nothing. Try again

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg-ERheCn6A&t=227s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm one of four people in my office who can't work from home due to not being able to move all our stuff/take deliveries, it sucks physically being at work and working with a bunch of people who are hanging out at home. the normally hour long each way commute has been awesome these past few days though, it's exactly half that now