Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah I'll likely spend the contraband since most gold perks I come by accidentally, and I'm not putting effort into getting a drat sniper rifle <:mad:>

(Incidentally, my hate for snipers doesnt extend to real life snipers, if you want to read about a personal hero of mine that I offhand mentioned earlier, please see this article about a guy who flipped his goddamn poo poo so hard the nazis withdrew from an occupied town because they thought the entire allied army was invading when it was just a single one eyed french canadian BJ Blazkowicz and any resistance members that didnt think the town was getting shelled.

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 5 - You Choose To Be The Way You Are

But seriously if you snipe in video games you're a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Plenty of cool snipers out there, in real life and in video games. But I dislike the sniper rifles in this game, so I don’t blame you. Now if our character were based on one of the great snipers of WW2 like Simo Hayha or Ludmilla Pavchenko, it’d probably be different.

Seriously, google those names. These snipers killed some enemies!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Simo was not a sniper, and I read he hated being called one. Simo was a hunter.

Edit: Oh and as for Ludmilla, she was friends with Elenor Roosevelt and also a huge women's rights advocate.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 8, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, replace Simo with Vasily Zaitsev then. He was a sniper and he killed more Nazis than Simo. Though not more people.

Watching today's video made me realize I had forgotten how to unlock a lot of game Perks. So I visited the Saboteur Wiki and read over their descriptions. That led me to decide to post all the Perks here so if Dan or any other player wants to unlock them, they can plan for it. Like Dan says in the video, some Perks are really good.

There are 4 types of Perks to unlock. The easiest ones you pay for with a certain amount of contraband. Others you earn in various ways. Bronze Perks you'll probably get with general gameplay. Silver Perks are advanced ones you get after unlocking certain Bronze Perks, these generally require planning and effort towards specific objectives, although some you'll still get by accident. Gold Perks you get after Silver Perks, they always require effort and planning. Here are all the Perks, copied from the wiki with my notes about how worth it they are. I generally try to get them all when I play through this game, though I get some sooner than others. Beware spoilers, I mark the cooler Perks with tags.

Purchase-able Perks All these are very worthwhile.

Spray 'n' Pray
New Sheriff
Longshot
Close 'n' Personal
Block Buster
The Devil's Due

These are all upgrades to ammo capacity for various weapons. Machine gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun, rocket launcher, flamethrower.

Splash damage
Mad Bomber

More powerful explosives and grenades.

Insurrection
Brothers in Arms
Le Deluge

Better armed resistance fighters with more health.

Special Delivery

Getaway Strike summons Pierre to sell you supplies.

Luck o' the Irish
St Patty's day

Free Silver and Gold Perks, you get one each.

Reinforced Ride
2 levels of vehicle armor upgrade.

Bronze Perks Get each number Perk to unlock the Silver or Gold Perk of the same number.

1. Throwing a Party. Throw 5 Nazis to their death. You can get this by throwing Nazis off roofs and towers. It gets you the Crowd Clearer throw move. It's ok, I guess.

2. Fighting Irish. Beat up 2 Nazis. Unlock instant kill charged Haymaker punch. You can get this easy in the first flashback level.

3. Cheap Thrill. Kill 10 Nazis with grenades. Easy to get. You can now carry more grenades.

4. Gunslinger. Kill 5 Nazis with bullets, earn reduced recoil with all weapons. Easy.

5. Nasty Surprise. Blow up 3 Nazi vehicles with dynamite. This is easy to do too. You unlock the ability to trap a vehicle with dynamite, something I have never done.

6. Joy Rider. Unlock a race car after you collect 5 different civilian vehicles. Another easy one that is only worth it for what comes next on the tier.

7. Marksman. Kill 5 Nazis with a Scoped Carbine. Snipers have these. You get reduced drift. Not worth it unless you're looking to specialize in sniping.

8. Lead Foot. Win a game race (these are unlocked late in the game, way too late IMO). You get Dierker's Silver Claw race car. Not worth it except to check off a collection.

9. Fugitive. Escape Level 2 Alarm 5 times. Easy to do. Unlocks a Getaway Strike (vehicle valet) ability.

10. Short Fuse. Destroy 2 Nazi installations, you can now plant explosives faster. You get this quick.

Silver Perks

1. Road Rage. Run over 20 Nazis. Easy to get. You earn Nitro for Sean's personal car, the Aurora, which you'll unlock about 2/3 way through the game. Necessary for some races and fun to use.

2. Sucker Punch. 10 Stealth Kills. This gets you a silenced kill move from the front. It's worth it.

3. More Bang for Your Buck. Kill 5 Nazis in one explosion. Shooting a Bauer Truck or Half Track Tank full of Nazis during an alarm with a tank shell or rocket is one way. There are also crowds of Nazis in some areas- disguise yourself and plant dynamite close to them. Just be careful they don't spot you. This Perk makes explosives half price in shops so you want it quick. It's usually my Silver Purchase if I can't find enough bunched Nazis to blow up at once.

4. War on Terror. Kill 5 Terror Squad Nazis. This earns you a 44 Magnum Dirty Harry pistol. Not worth it except it's necessary to get the next tier Perk. Start some Level 4 Alarms to spawn Terror Squad Nazis. Or play late game missions where they are your main foes..

5. Mad Bomber. Blow up 5 Nazi vehicles in 5 minutes. Look for lots of parked tanks around the La Villette train station or the Arc de Triomphe. Blow them up. If you're quick enough with the dynamite, this is easy. If you must, collect Nazi vehicles and park them near each other, then blow them up. This Perk earns you RDX, which means you can now carry another type of explosive- remote charges. Very nice.

6. Hijacker. Collect every Nazi vehicle, earn free vehicle repairs from Pierre's garages. This is a little annoying but worth it. The Bauer truck, Sturmwagon, Armed Sturmwagon, Gestapo Cruiser, and Armed Motorcycle are easily grabbed during alarms. You just need to get in a vehicle once it spawns, escape the alarm, then get to a garage to store your ride. You don't need to take Alarms over Level 3 (spawns Gestapo Cruisers). The other Nazi vehicles- Kaiser Limo, Bulletproof Kaiser, Kaiser Convertible, Gestapo GX, unarmed motorcycle, Bauer Fuel Truck, and Armed Bauer are all one place on the map spawns. Look for maps to them on GameFAQs or YouTube.

7. Eagle Eye. Score 15 headshots with a scoped carbine, earn reduced recoil for sniper rifles. Worth it for snipers, not for anyone else.

8. Speed Demon. Unlock Skylar's Car by winning a race. Not worth it except for collection purposes.

9. Escape Artist. Escape a Level 3 Alarm. Also easy. You can now pick your Getaway Strike Vehicle.

10. I Fell Towers. Blow up 10 Towers, get the ability to carry more bombs. Cinch to acquire.

Gold Perks

1. The Right of Way. Destroy 20 Nazi vehicles with 1 vehicle. Use a tank or mounted gun for this. It's hard- you want a durable vehicle with a powerful gun. A tank is probably best. Unlock Aurora Machine Gun. Not really worth it, the gun sucks and Nazi Gestapo Cruisers have dual machine guns, the Aurora only gets one.

2. Grim Reaper. Stealth kill 5 generals. You get a super stealth dagger stab move that is easier to pull off than the regular stealth kill. Very nice. I recommend killing generals from behind for this. Use disguise or quick moves to get around the bodyguards, just don't let the generals see you in disguise, they can break it instantly I think. Stealth killing the bodyguards or using silenced weapons can also help as long as you still kill the general with stealth. There's plenty of generals in each game district for you to pull this off several times over, I generally get it early on.

3. Real Hellion. Kill 10 Nazis in 10 seconds using dynamite or RDX. This gets you passive immunity to getting knocked down by explosions. It's usually the Gold I purchase because it's hard to do. Same strategies for unlocking the More Bang for Your Buck Perk will help if you don't want to purchase it. You still take damage from explosions, so it's not that cool IMO.

4. Paint the Town Red. Unlock the Panzerschrek Rocket Launcher by blowing up a Zeppelin and a Wulf Tank during the same Alarm. This is worth it. The Panzershrek is the most powerful gun in the game. Seven rockets, all will instantly destroy most any target. Start an alarm by bugging Nazis and keep it going, find an anti-air gun and use it to blow up Zeppelins, then use dynamite to blow up a Wulf tank (the big ones with a fuel barrel on the back, they usually take two dynamite charges to destroy). Boom, you got it. The train station near La Villette is a good early game place to find Wulf tanks and AA guns near each other along with plenty of soldiers that can start an alarm.

5. Blockbuster. More powerful RDX is earned via this. You need to blow up 3 Wulf tanks with RDX or dynamite. Probably the easiest Gold Perk to get. There's plenty of parked Wulfs in the game.

6. Wheelman. Collect every Civilian, Race, and Nazi vehicle to earn the ability to collect tanks. Kinda worth it, but the annoying part is all tanks and about a third to a quarter of the other vehicles are one place spawns. You also need vehicles you get from missions like the Aurora and vehicles you get from other Perks like Skylar's Drake Custom. So this will take a while. Unless you just purchase it, but that only earns you the Perk, not the cars. I will probably list all the game vehicles in a later post.

7. Longshot. I mentioned this Perk last page. Get 10 Quigley shots (kill 2 Nazis with one bullet), earn the best sniper rifle in the game. The gun has a large clip and is powerful, but I generally prefer guns with more plentiful ammo.

8. Godspeed. Win another race (there's only three in the game outside story missions), you earn Dierker's advanced car. Again, only worth it for collection.

9. Europe's Most Wanted. Escape a Level 5 Alarm, earn the ability to use hiding places at Alarms 4 and 5. Worthwhile, just not easy. You can start a Level 5 Alarm by killing tons of Nazis, it gets crazy enough that the Luftwaffe will actually be strafing you while Terror Squads and Gestapo hunt you down. The whole map turns red and you can only escape in two hiding spots. Until you get the Perk, then you earn more. This needs to be shown off.

10. Urban Renewal. Blow up 4 train bridges. You unlock Bridge Breaker bombs late in the game and are given a tutorial on using them. You can then blow up respawning train bridges on the map. This is a cool Perk because once you earn it, planting explosives while in disguise does not bother Nazis anymore. The game just got a lot easier and more fun.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 8, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:eng101: Cars and trucks have gone on train track with special wheels. In fact modern railway maintenance trucks use both road and rail to get where they need to go with a bit of kit that allows the truck to lower itself on a special set.

I got to see one do that at a crossing. It was neat.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That was an excellent way to start the video :allears:

I like sniping! It goes like POW and then you've painted six Nazis with the insides of another Nazi and none of them know what the gently caress just happened and it feels all warm and fuzzy.

But of course throwing them off high buildings is still more satisfying.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Moulin Rogue is over-rated.

Eidt: Piece of piss is indeed a thing that is said.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 8, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Please reload and keep shooting... :neckbeard: "

I'm going to pretend the mission complete screen was waiting specifically for you to blow something up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 6 - River Of Actual Blood

By "The IRA" I meant to say "The whole IRA thing". I know the IRA arent protestant. Also I straight up dont care about christianity except that I have a burning hate for Roman Catholics due to stuff. Father Dennis is lucky that I cant kick inside a brothel, and that I like people who help kill nazis and collaborators more than I hate Catholics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Fuckin hell I thought Dead or Alive were bad with jiggle physics, but this is on another and frankly distressing level.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dude, Father Denis is probably my favorite character in the game. Priest or not, his missions are fun. At least, they were for me.

I personally have mixed feelings about Catholics too. I know they started the Crusades. The expression “let God sort them out” was theirs too, some Catholic knights said it in the 8th century before murdering a village of people where they had been told to kill only the non-Catholics. And the IRA are Catholic. So was the Spanish Inquisition. I could go on for days about their sins. The Pope in WW2 tolerating Nazis would be in that rant. So would Hitler being Catholic (he was on paper, as we both know his real religion was Nazi). Heck, the first religious fundamentalist I had serious arguments with was a Catholic. She was also my aunt.

Which brings me to why I don’t hate Catholics. Yes, they include a lot of bad folk. But also friends and family of mine. My aunt, her daughter, my stepfather and many of his relatives. Let’s add that I graduated from a Catholic high school where I had many great teachers and peers who were Catholics. We also had a Catholic fundamentalist bishop take over the school shortly before I graduated and try to make it more Catholic by kicking out the liberal principal who had led the school to two national awards for education and all staff who agreed with her way of doing things more than his. I refused to shake hands with him at graduation and bowed to the principal instead... I’m ranting again. Catholics also include one of the most inspirational preachers I’ve ever had the honor to meet, read, and hear live- Albert Haas OFM if anyone is curious. And they also include anti Nazi rear end kickers like Father Denis. I don’t think any of the good Catholics I met supported the bad when they had the choice, and I know I would not support hatred directed against them. My point is, Catholics are a big diverse group of people and it is impossible for me to paint them all with the same brush as good or bad.

I consider myself a proud agnostic. I haven’t seen evidence that is clearly on the side of God existing, and I have serious issues with God’s management style of his creations that remain unanswered. I refuse to follow any organized religion- in my experience they all have too many contradictions, unrealistic expectations, awful politics, bait and switch games, etc. And yet I can’t hate religious people either. Because I know they are good and bad. I myself am that way too. I’m still gonna watch your videos, but please don’t bring your hatred here. Thanks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Big overshare that I probably shouldnt have posted

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 11, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And I get to disagree with them. Speaking as someone who saw my mother get painted with the same brush by Catholic fundies related to my stepfather who saw her as cloaked in sin just for being a divorced woman. And didn't diss the man who married her as a divorced man either. I told them they would probably burn in hell for such an attitude if they kept it up, and in doing so I was not alone. So in refusing to tolerate intolerance, I'm probably on your side. I've felt your pain, I just have a different attitude in regards to it thanks to the sum total of my experience. Not all Catholics are alike. I'm not interested in debate either. Let's leave it at that.

Eiffel Tower- you can go there and climb it if you like. But it looks a lot better in the end mission.

[chuckles at your Nazi impersonation] Hello fellow Humans!

Also, practical game advice. You keep punching civilians and resistance members, you will turn the resistance against you. Then you'll be unable to get missions or buy weapons. It's temporary, but it happens. Unless you're maybe hoping to show that off?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is it wrong that by the end of this LP, I want a montage of the times a Nazi punts Dan off a rooftop, followed by a montage of the times Dan punts a Nazi off a rooftop?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like I've been falling to my death more often than I have in my previous runs of the game, mind you I was also sober last time I played :v:

I also did way fewer e-brake turns into destroyable objects so clearly I was playing wrong

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've lost all concept of date and time since being a hospital janitor during a global pandemic makes you REALLY BUSY but I'm pretty sure last episode was late so here's another one

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 7 - Car Goes Where Car Pleases

I really like Skylar as a character, she plays the femme fatale exactly as she's supposed to, but when it comes to Sean actually being in danger of getting erased by the SOE, you can see her facade slip and show genuine concern. :unsmith:

Grace doesnt like her because I said she was cute and that's really all it takes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yep, car was definitely out of coolant. Look at the way it overheated a short time later.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel the ultimate Nazi superweapon would be explosive barrels on a crosswalk, crudely disguised as nazi soldiers.

At the very least, it would work on me :downs:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, what do you know... Dierker’s paranoid fantasy about Sean is now true!

Bishop is voiced by John Noble, who has played a lot of uptight arseholes. Including Denethor in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films & Scarecrow in Batman Arkham Knight.

Going out to Le Havre to meet Bishop & Skylar really made me wish the game had a fast travel system. At least I got to make multiple stops during each trip to murder Nazis.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man i do not envy you when it comes to that job.

Also there is nothing wrong with giggling when you're killing Nazis. It is not mandatory, but it is absolutely allowed.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's my first night off in weeks and we're recording more tonight :toot: I'm excited so here's another one

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 8 - I Am Extremely On Fire

I finally realize that I've been mistaking the British spy agency in WW2 with the not-GIJoe team from Venture Bros, and my problems with heights continues :cripes: We also blow up most of a castle though, so you win some you lose some

E: We regret to inform you this isn't actually the episode where I realize I've been saying OSI

Danaru fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I usually did the zeppelin level later in my playthrus. It seemed like a good halfway point for the game story. But to each their own. I agree the platforming aspects and poor visuals make it particularly challenging.

RDX (Remote Detonated Explosives) are one of the best things in this game. You'll definitely want to pick them up ASAP. If you're going for the challenge to unlock it, remember the game spawns a lot of weak Nazi vehicles like Sturmwagens and motorbikes during alarms. Steal these, park them near each other, then set your charges. :)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know the burning blimp segment is the intended high point, but "Three strikes, you're out" tower was pretty amazing.

I'm super mad it didn't count the vehicle pile up explosion. They exploded, it counts :argh:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I can't believe they did that whole driving segment at the beginning without a single "junk in the trunk" comment.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Section Z posted:

I know the burning blimp segment is the intended high point, but "Three strikes, you're out" tower was pretty amazing.

I'm super mad it didn't count the vehicle pile up explosion. They exploded, it counts :argh:

I’m pretty sure you have to set off the explosives yourself. A car wreck is too uncertain for such a situation to have a clear cause like the game needs. :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Unfortunately, it turns out deplatforming is a double-edged sword. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 9 - Take That, Art

I uh, havent seen that happen to tanks before this LP :staredog:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The early tank clearly killed itself when it could have survived, because it knew what would happen to future tank :magical:

Also, I really respect this game for letting you crawl away from "oops I exploded something next to my car". Just so you don't have to slow down your nazi killing rampages too much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tanks for nothing

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

this whole episode was beautiful

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SOE was british, OSI was American. Neither still exist.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wasn't there also the OSS? Overseas Secret Service?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 10 - Garbage Day

I offer no apologies or explanations

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, comedy thought for why "They recognize me, but nobody will recognize YOU! The guy who can't go five minutes without trying to shove dynamite down a Nazi's pants." Actually works in story and is not just a gameplay convenience.

Dierker is covering it up because he doesn't want anyone to know he's being thwarted by a lone drunken Irish racer on a rampage.

"Oh, you lost the Ark of the Covenant? Yeah I bet the British sent their very best, and very British, agent."
"...What? Shot their own car with a roof mounted AA gun? What a genius mastermind, making sure to leave no trail."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You’re supposed to be able to complete the mission “Whisper or Roar” multiple ways, but I never could find a Nazi close enough to steal a disguise from and the trucks take off when they see me approaching. So I ended up using the AA gun every time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, I'm gonna hafta say it. When you guys go into your Faux-German I end up really wanting to have stroopwaffles.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
For the thread title, nothing would have been lost by replacing it with "I Am Danaru". :rimshot:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play The Saboteur Episode 11 - Dilly Of A Pickle

I was really good at Where's Waldo as a kid.

Like, really good.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We meet some more interesting characters in today's video, including the game's token former French noble (Lady Margot) and token Jew (Bryman), though it is not clearly stated the latter is a Jew. Not sure what to make of the game understating that.

This is a good time to talk about Alarm Levels in the game and what they mean. Alarm basically results when you max out the Suspicion Meter and a Nazi blows his whistle. This means an Alert Zone forms around you and every Nazi who sees you in that zone will immediately go after you. Inside an enemy base, this is called a Base Alarm. It extends throughout the entire Base and you can actually turn it off by deactivating an Alarm Box. Soldiers will come out regularly to assault you in Alarms.

Outside Bases, Alarms are a bit more deadly. As is usual for this sort of game, the more Nazis you kill while in an active Alarm Zone, the worse their response gets.

Level 1- Nazi Wermacht Soldiers show up looking for you, sometimes in Sturmwagens and Bauer trucks. They may also chase you on motorbikes. You can escape this zone pretty easily, it's small.

Level 2- Bigger Alert Zone, Nazis show up in greater numbers and some Sturmwagens are Armed with mounted machine guns. Enemy soldiers also come out of buildings to look for you.

Level 3- Zeppelins will spotlight you in an even larger Alert Zone. Gestapo Cruisers also chase you- these are enemy spy cars with dual machine guns in the front. All you get from Level 2 comes as well.

Level 4- Larger Alert Zone. Zeppelins actually fire machine guns at you now. Half Track APCs full of Terror Squad Nazis come after you and Armored Car Tanks (the small vehicles you see parked on the streets a lot) chase you if you use a vehicle. You can't use most Hiding Spots at all to escape this Alarm, unless you have a certain Perk.

Level 5- The most serious Alarm Level. Sean has all the fury of Level 4 after him, plus the Luftwaffe actually strafing the general area with planes. You can shoot them down with the right weapons but they keep coming. And now the Alert Zone covers the entire map. Only two hiding spots can get you out of this- a well in the north area and inside the Belle cabaret club. I really hope Dan shows how to escape this off at some point.

To get out of an Alarm, either escape the Alert Zone without Nazis seeing you or get to a hiding spot. These include floor hatches, street bathrooms, wells, and inside certain buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUQu5K8lp8

You absolutely do not need to apologize for killing nazis, or for giggling as you kill nazis.

Also i'm a bit late on this but holy poo poo the cow in part 9. :haw: