Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Edward Mass posted:

First perfect 10 on Pitchfork since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

It’s Perfect 10’s Across the Board for Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Fiona Apple has swooped in to save the world, once again — this time from the monotony of quarantine by releasing her long-awaited new album, Fetch the Bolt Cutters, her first since 2012’s The Idler Wheel. The reclusive performer has built her career on her terms, telling Vulture’s Rachel Handler, “Although it’s not so important to me what happens because of this album, it is important to me the way I handle how I’m presented. In the past, so much stuff would happen that just wasn’t me. Which is excruciating, if the whole reason you were doing anything was to be understood in the first place, you know?” It’s served her well once again, with critics declaring Fetch the Bolt Cutters a masterpiece, a classic, and possibly her best album yet. At the very least, it’s garnered instant acclaim, including a number of five-star reviews and Pitchfork’s first perfect 10.0 in a decade; it’s also currently scored a rare 100 on Metacritic. But don’t just trust us, read the reviews below — and for the love of God, give the album a spin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Let's say you're promoted at work because of the good job you do.
Doesn't matter what you do right now, let's say you do a good enough job that you get bumped up the chain a bit.

Your new boss says to you, "<you>, we really liked what you were doing. And we're looking forward to more of some of that effort in your new job. We're proud of the work you did. And we'd like you to help us back-fill your old spot and make sure the job gets done right. Could you do that for us?"
Now, you really like your new boss and position, and you liked the last one too, and you feel like what you were doing mattered, at least a little bit, so you want whoever it is to at least put in a good solid effort to try at your old spot. So you sit in for some interviews. A few go pretty good.

You get it narrowed down to one or two candidates, and it's down to the last few questions, and you REALLY want things to go well. So you ask the last person interviewing, just to be sure that they want and can handle this spot that's important to you and you know they can handle so you can move forward...well, you ask them, just to wrap things up, "Is there any reason you can think of you wouldn't fit in this position, I think you'd do good work, what do you think about it?"

The candidate thinks for a moment. Puts their hands together and nods. Then begins to answer in a straightforward, clear voice.

“Although it’s not so important to me what happens because of this interview, it is important to me the way I handle how I’m presented. In the past, so much stuff would happen that just wasn’t me. Which is excruciating, if the whole reason you were doing anything was to be understood in the first place, you know?”

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

For some reason the main thing I remember about Fiona Apple was in the late 90's (I think?) she tried to promote NOT eating turkeys on Thanksgiving. I remember a phone number you could call and hear a recorded message from her saying things link "don't kill these beautiful animals".

People made fun of her but I thought she was cool for this. I too like animals. :kiddo:

Fake edit, I found this on the google http://www.mtv.com/news/1424975/fiona-cries-fowl/

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

And also this is kinda lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Hands

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Doesn't matter what you do right now, let's say you do a good enough job that you get bumped up the chain a bit.

Your new boss says to you, "<you>, we really liked what you were doing. And we're looking forward to more of some of that effort in your new job. We're proud of the work you did. And we'd like you to help us back-fill your old spot and make sure the job gets done right. Could you do that for us?"
Now, you really like your new boss and position, and you liked the last one too, and you feel like what you were doing mattered, at least a little bit, so you want whoever it is to at least put in a good solid effort to try at your old spot. So you sit in for some interviews. A few go pretty good.

You get it narrowed down to one or two candidates, and it's down to the last few questions, and you REALLY want things to go well. So you ask the last person interviewing, just to be sure that they want and can handle this spot that's important to you and you know they can handle so you can move forward...well, you ask them, just to wrap things up, "Is there any reason you can think of you wouldn't fit in this position, I think you'd do good work, what do you think about it?"

The candidate thinks for a moment. Puts their hands together and nods. Then begins to answer in a straightforward, clear voice.

“Although it’s not so important to me what happens because of this interview, it is important to me the way I handle how I’m presented. In the past, so much stuff would happen that just wasn’t me. Which is excruciating, if the whole reason you were doing anything was to be understood in the first place, you know?”

That's a pretty good answer tbqh, especially since the position I'm hiring for is that of a Popular Culture Act and the primary skills and background I'm looking for are emotional manipulation through media and performance art :hmmyes:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

There’s a picture of me, and I’ve got all this black makeup on, and I’ve got short hair for some reason, and I’m going like this [makes angry face] in the camera. The reality of that situation was when I saw that picture, I was like, “What the gently caress?” Because I had no idea I had that makeup on my eyes. They chopped off my hair in post for some weird reason, and then somebody came up to me to touch up my eyes, but I didn’t know that they were blotting me with all this black stuff.

It’s not such a big deal, it’s not a terrible look, but it’s just an example of how things went then. I can sit there and take a picture and then they’ll Photoshop me later so I don’t even look like myself, or they’ll put something on me to make me look like I’m mad and crying, and I don’t understand that there’s something in my eyes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Beef City posted:

Sometimes artists, writers, musicians, and actors are those things, because they would literally be incapable of doing anything else with their lives.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Big Beef City posted:

Let's say you're promoted at work because of the good job you do...

is this an actual Pitchfork review?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mechanical Animals was a p.dece album

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the world is still bullshit. i feel like in a way fiona apple is the only voice of her generation who hit the big time who's still turning her pain into music. everyone else killed themselves, or sold out, or worst of all found some form of contentment

Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!
Meanwhile, Alanis Morissette is back in PAWG form

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m pretty sure Billie Eilish is filling the eccentric female singer spot right now.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Telebite posted:

For some reason the main thing I remember about Fiona Apple was in the late 90's (I think?) she tried to promote NOT eating turkeys on Thanksgiving. I remember a phone number you could call and hear a recorded message from her saying things link "don't kill these beautiful animals".

People made fun of her but I thought she was cool for this. I too like animals. :kiddo:

Fake edit, I found this on the google http://www.mtv.com/news/1424975/fiona-cries-fowl/

That's hosed up, turkeys are easily one of the ugliest birds.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Big Beef City posted:

Good thing artists don't interview to work at your poo poo office job, I guess?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I listened to some of the songs, my vote for best anrgy 90's music girl is still ani difranco

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Good thing artists don't interview to work at your poo poo office job, I guess?
hey, office boys gotta overcompensate somehow

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ocean Book posted:

I listened to some of the songs, my vote for best anrgy 90's music girl is still ani difranco

This reminds me of this time that rear end in a top hat teen aged me made fun of someone for listening to ani defranco and then they cried and I felt ambivalent.

Good times.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Some motherfuckers itt forgetting about pj harvey

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Turpitude posted:

straight up. early Liz Phair was no slouch, either, not to mention Bikini Kill, Team Dresch, etc

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

funkybottoms posted:

straight up. early Liz Phair was no slouch, either, not to mention Bikini Kill, Team Dresch, etc

Okay, we can be friends now.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, we can be friends now.

anyone who never had a crush on Kathleen Hanna can gtfo

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

funkybottoms posted:

L7

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the album is good, op

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Turpitude posted:

We’re not mentioning her because she’s so far above everyone else mentioned in this thread that she’s basically a different species.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was holding out for the Fiona apple pog op you rear end in a top hat

naem
May 29, 2011

discount annie defranco itt

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Her new album is loving excellent and I've been listening to it nonstop for like 2 days.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Is it best to listen to The Idler Wheel before this new one? I like her first 3 albums and am willing to give her latest a shot but if the past decade has been as much of a departure for her as I've heard it might be best for me to catch up first. Or maybe it doesn't matter? I dunno!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Benny Harvey posted:

Also, Maggie gylenhaal was hot at one point?

No. Goodbye.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Is it best to listen to The Idler Wheel before this new one? I like her first 3 albums and am willing to give her latest a shot but if the past decade has been as much of a departure for her as I've heard it might be best for me to catch up first. Or maybe it doesn't matter? I dunno!

this is definitely continuing the trend of getting sparser and more raw musically like the idler wheel (a trend she even managed to pull off in between the releases of Extraordinary Machine and Extraordinary Machine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's on YouTube, you made a thread about it just listen to the loving album it's good what the heck are you doing with your life omg