Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i read the first book of his Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series and haaaaaaaaaated it, so even if Redwall got samey, it didn't become outright garbage which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

badgers rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-EH2LahSI4

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

On the other hand, I never caught on to the racism until it was made super explicit in the one book where like a baby ferret is raised in the abbey. I think he grows up and turns out to be a shitbag not because he was ostracized or anything, but despite growing up with a caring adopted family he just can't help it because he's one of the "bad" species. Dude doesn't even get a redemption arc or anything; despite sacrificing himself in the end for his adopted mother the takeaway was "he probably didn't even mean to save me, he was just evil this whole time." God drat, son.

I remember this or a similar story arc. Also remember foxes (I think?) didn't give a poo poo about each other even parents and kids which didn't make much sense.

*pokes paperback with fork* ITS RAAACIIST

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Pincer movement

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pekinduck posted:

I remember this or a similar story arc. Also remember foxes (I think?) didn't give a poo poo about each other even parents and kids which didn't make much sense.

*pokes paperback with fork* ITS RAAACIIST

thats the book Marlfox which is basically about a lake island castle inhabited by a buncha regicidal lunatics

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

These vittles are RAW

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

These vittles are RAW
Don't be such a Dibbun. Now take your physick and off to bed with you, Abbess called it Winter of the Deepest Frost for a reason and you'll catch your death out here in Cavern Hole

verbal enema posted:

thats the book Marlfox which is basically about a lake island castle inhabited by a buncha regicidal lunatics
I had an insanely racist friend who even he had to pause and pre-apologize when noting they were the "noble savage" archetype.

A hosed up element of Outcast I didn't see get mentioned is that they named the little ferret Veil. When he turned evil, the Badger Mother who named him reveals that was an intentional anagram. It's so hosed. Like you see that and maybe you assume we're underselling some angle where he's never trusted in his youth and that alienation drives him to... but no, that is not how it plays out in the book. I kind of want to re-read it to see because it didn't sit right with me even at the time and it's a broad consensus there.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im getting a lil sad about the wierd racism that I guess i just ignored

like it wasnt just rats is bad mice is cute??
:c

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The whole thing doesn't make much sense tbh. Foxes and ferrets can be pretty cute but both are evil. Meanwhile, badgers and otters are both mustelids yet they're all good

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this is still one of my favorite things SA ever did and its pretty topical

Brian Jacques posted:

the moles have performed a special role in my work. With their friendly, unthreatening presence and difficult to parse language, they serve the same purpose as a cuddly stuffed animal that whispers propaganda to a child as he sleeps, like any grandfather might secretly give to his grandchildren (these letters are confidential correct?).

To close this particular point, I merely ask you to consider the following line of dialogue from the main mole character, Buggo: "Hurr, oi'd ar remoindin' ya ta be kiollin' burr lowur racies hurr durr".

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

im getting a lil sad about the wierd racism that I guess i just ignored

like it wasnt just rats is bad mice is cute??
:c
It was that rats are bad mice is cute on more than a cultural level. You can raise them right or give them a chance and it never remotely works. You never once see some vermin underlings successfully break off and live off the fat of the land Mice and Men style - they're always quickly undone by their greed and malice. Never any that are just out there doing that already. At best they're a local-legendary vicious tribe that won't gently caress with you if you don't enter the wood cross yonder stream or what the hell but this young Hare rapscallion we picked up, his father was slain by...

It's just a weird implication in such a fable world of magical realism. Like there's an implication that there's broader allegory and-of-in trying to re-embed classic British legendarium into modern pop-pulp... but it's probably not so bad. "In-universe", "Watsonionly", (I forgot the smart word), every book is framed by a Recorder from the Gatehouse reading to you from the recordings of long ago. So there's a literary agency at play, and that mirrors our real-life legends and histories that got written by the victors and painted their villains as entirely such.

You can also see the cyclical discussion in the Tolkien thread in The Book Barn about how the Silmarillion was written by Elves and Men and how that colors the accounting and opens the door to speculation about whitewashed Orcish culture and eucatastrophic divine Eagles as censorship for sympathetic enemy splinters. But obviously that's wildly skittering across the line of playing SuperMechaGodzilla and at the end of the point, you're just thinking too hard about those bullshit pages you skipped every single time you read. I mean sometimes the guy telling you the story was a Dibbun in it or like a Recorder in training so it's like "oh, neat" at the end but

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

free hubcaps posted:

this is still one of my favorite things SA ever did and its pretty topical

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/
I'm proud of myself that I instinctively knew this was Bobservo

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i could be making this up or it could be vague speculation i read once but i feel like he sort of addressed it as saying that in the beginning because it was for blind children it was more about vocal story telling convenience and for that matter just trying to familiarize them with local wildlife (like "now remember the moles, who talk like *old british men calling eachother sweetheart*" or "now do you remember the stoats? that go *stout noises* and did whatever terrible thing?") that he used to establish his world which he then realized too far into it could be construed as expression or endorsement of real racism, or something, which i think he responded to by doubling down on the kind of cartoon fantasy innocence of a world that black and white, i think maybe even the book about one of the bad species living in redwall and growing up to be a shithead anyway (or whatever, like i said i read all of these when i was a kid) that's obviously kind of weird is actually purposefully explaining the setting as very simple and in that, in no way analogous to reality

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I saw a badger once. He was digging a hole. I was really impressed with his hole digging skills.

you should have yelled Eulalia at him in triumph

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
oh no

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the only book I remember was they had a coronavirus outbreak in the castle and some dudes had to go on a homeopathic quest to pick some kind of flower to cure it, which of course was only available on top of a distant mountain. also there was a hawk or something

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
dang im glad i read these books in the us. no way id pick up that lame rear end looking poo poo they got in the uk.

us:

uk (lmao?):

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
whys the uk always got the horrible book covers but the good video game covers huh?? a mystery

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
top book? badass otter girl has had enough of ur poo poo. die bitch.

bottom book? its uhhh some animals. theyre on a boat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I guess we got the UK covers here because that what I remember the Pearls of Lutra cover looking like.

You're also wrong, the UK cover of Redwall was Cluny driving a flaming carriage full of vermin while the horse looks at him in fear, which is awesome as gently caress. The baddies looked way cooler on that cover compared to the US one.

This Vintage Classics re-release is adorable though.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Coxswain Balls posted:

I guess we got the UK covers here because that what I remember the Pearls of Lutra cover looking like.

You're also wrong, the UK cover of Redwall was Cluny driving a flaming carriage full of vermin while the horse looks at him in fear, which is awesome as gently caress. The baddies looked way cooler on that cover compared to the US one.

This Vintage Classics re-release is adorable though.

well the thing is, all of those? they look sick. theyre all good for different reasons. that pearls cover though? it sucks rear end. irredeemable.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
i will admit tho that u could put that uk redwall cover on the other side of ur totally rad wizard van which is a high level of book cover art quality that those other covers don't reach.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

id have never guessed this

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/redwall/images/2/2a/BrianJacquesPronounce.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20080703003732

:goonsay:

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

kecske posted:

the only book I remember was they had a coronavirus outbreak in the castle and some dudes had to go on a homeopathic quest to pick some kind of flower to cure it, which of course was only available on top of a distant mountain. also there was a hawk or something

Why didn't the hawk just fly them up the mountain

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got to hug Brian Jacques once, it was really neat.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Motherfuckers talkin' 'bout Redwall!?

B.H. Facials fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 11, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Muscle Wizard posted:

dang im glad i read these books in the us. no way id pick up that lame rear end looking poo poo they got in the uk.

us:

uk (lmao?):

Look at Mariel of Redwall!

USA

Huh mouse with rope

Brits

HOLY gently caress THAT RAT HAS A SWORD AND THAT MOUSE IS GONNA THWACK EM ALSO gently caress THE BELL IS GETTING STRUCK BY LIGHTNING

The Gullwacker did NOT gently caress around

Also i did some small looking around and found an ok full cover of LORD BROCKTREE

fuuuuucking badASS

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
your brain is smooth as an egg if you think the US covers are better than the UK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked The Long Patrol because it taught me that you wash your feet downriver from where you gather drinking water or your hare sergeant kicks the poo poo out of you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked The Long Patrol because it taught me that you wash your feet downriver from where you gather drinking water or your hare sergeant kicks the poo poo out of you.

this is FACT

did someone change the thread icon?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and title. it used to be redwall kitchen nightmares

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I remember I didn't like the Outcast of Redwall because Veil got a raw deal and I really liked Marlfox but I thought it was super weird that none of these siblings gave a poo poo about each other at all and then I read Taggerung as soon as it came out and I was like 'Hey how come this otter was raised by assholes but he turned out to be all good and noble and honorable despite having absolutely no examples of that in his life' and that's when I finally realized the weird racism in the books. I was a very stupid child, I guess. I stopped reading them after Taggerung although I don't think it was because of the racism. I just lost interest.

Anyway, Pearls of Lutra was my favorite book and I don't remember anything about it except that it had a super loving badass ferret pirate lady who was arguably the only good 'vermin' species in the entire series and she sang a song about how much rear end she kicked and I was like 'hell yeah'. That's my Redwall story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Outcast of Redwall is still a very good book because it presents the racism Veil faces but doesn't come down as hard on him being truly villainous. There's enough ambiguity that you can make the argument that his eventual fate was as much the result of the Abbey's prejudice against "vermin" species as it was hereditary. It's a shame that double standard nature doesn't show up in any of the other books but it is why Outcast is one of my favourites.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
at the part in Long Patrol where well you meet a part of the Long Patrol and i forgot how cool Rockjaw Grang is. Giant Mountain Hare with a giant bow. Also says 'sithee' alot whatever that is

also the body count is already at like 25 and im 70 some odd pages in

also a decent bit of subterfuge in the Rapscallion horde of course. Gotta kill your boss and become the boss!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mouse Guard is a neat children's graphic novel series, if any of ya'll have kids. For adults, Mice Templar is supposed to be good but I've never read it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
oh hells yeah Cregga Rose Eyes

badgers get the coolest names in Redwall

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lemme just turn this battle axe into a bludgeon so I don't need to waste time sharpening it.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

i fuckin loved those little rodents

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

at the part in Long Patrol where well you meet a part of the Long Patrol and i forgot how cool Rockjaw Grang is. Giant Mountain Hare with a giant bow. Also says 'sithee' alot whatever that is

also the body count is already at like 25 and im 70 some odd pages in

also a decent bit of subterfuge in the Rapscallion horde of course. Gotta kill your boss and become the boss!
That's the one where the Abbey wall collapses and The Long Patrol has to come defend them? That's one of the notable ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Daikloktos posted:

That's the one where the Abbey wall collapses and The Long Patrol has to come defend them? That's one of the notable ones

Yeah!