Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/9kw0ft/batman_does_bruce_wayne_know_what_it_is_like/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

or the immortal words of Hall & Oates

You're a rich girl BATMAN,

And you've gone too far,

Cause you know it don't matter anyway,

You can rely on the old man's money,

You can rely on the old man's money,

It's a bitch~ , ~~girl~ BATMAN,

And it's gone too far,

Cause you know it don't matter anyway

Say money

But it won't get you too far

Even when training and traveling abroad, or his days as Matches Malone, Bruce always has the Wayne Fortune to fall back on and support his vigilante addiction.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Batman villains are so lame I just want to see a cool villain breaking batman's back forever. gently caress Batman.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Batman villains are so lame I just want to see a cool villain breaking batman's back forever. gently caress Batman.

You just get a French Batman in a fetish suit when that happens.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they're making a new baman movie with r pattenson as the titular the baman. I know what you're thinking. another Batman? really?

but get this twist - its supposed to be gritty and dark

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I like when sparklerpire punches that dude a whole bunch.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I’m still waiting on my professor pyg origin story

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

they're making a new baman movie with r pattenson as the titular the baman. I know what you're thinking. another Batman? really?

but get this twist - its supposed to be gritty and dark

Less grimdark would be great but more importantly they really need to do one where the setting is already established and it's like the 500th time he's faced off against the Joker instead of constantly redoing the origin of everybody.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Less grimdark would be great but more importantly they really need to do one where the setting is already established and it's like the 500th time he's faced off against the Joker instead of constantly redoing the origin of everybody.

Origin stories are the only fiction a superhero comic book / comic book movie can do well because they're the only ones that have a beginning, middle, and end, with a character that changes. (ie starts normal, becomes superhero)

Everything else is the endless middle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Klyith posted:

Origin stories are the only fiction a superhero comic book / comic book movie can do well because they're the only ones that have a beginning, middle, and end, with a character that changes. (ie starts normal, becomes superhero)

Everything else is the endless middle.

Movies are never episodic thankfully.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Another fresh take is that Superhero movies have always sucked dick and no one who wanted to watch it would honestly give a flying gently caress one way or the other if it was or wasn't in any way sensical.

Who the gently caress went to a Batman movie (any of them) thinking "Golly I wonder who this Bat'ed Man fellow is? What's HE all about? I hope they explain it for a few hours."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"I enjoyed the docu-drama about young Mr. Wayne's struggle with prep school, but the Mrs. certainly enjoyed the flash backs and drawn out vignettes about the stomach issues he had repeatedly on the bus as a youth. I hope that can be revisted by the franchise several times to re-establish just WHO this Bruce Wayne chap actually IS. Goodness!"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Big Beef City posted:

Another fresh take is that Superhero movies have always sucked dick and no one who wanted to watch it would honestly give a flying gently caress one way or the other if it was or wasn't in any way sensical.

Who the gently caress went to a Batman movie (any of them) thinking "Golly I wonder who this Bat'ed Man fellow is? What's HE all about? I hope they explain it for a few hours."

I am a loving Idiot who watched batman vs superman in theater when it came out and the opening scene is batman's parents getting killed and then a hard cut to him running away during their funeral and falling in a hole in the woods and then rising up in a batnado.

But there was jackshit about superman for comparison

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

EorayMel posted:

But there was jackshit about superman for comparison

That version of Superman got an entire origin movie in Man of Steel. Also Superman's origin is boring as hell.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

MakaVillian posted:

That version of Superman got an entire origin movie in Man of Steel. Also Superman's origin is boring as hell.

Also boring as well.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really like the first page of Allstar Superman. It gets the whole origin out of the way in the quickest way possible. Just do this for the inevitable movie reboot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

man of steel is a chilling look at how monstrous superman would be if he was raised by objectivists. snyder seriously thought that people would sympathize with a pa kent who berated his son for saving a bus full of children from certain death.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
do you think that the baman will be sad in this next one?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
People are really up in arms about Pattinson getting the role, but, really, he's a perfect Batman.

He has a really heroic chin, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Batman's physique is hidden by rubber muscles and Batman's character is so shallow and generic that absolutely anyone can pull it off. And let's not pretend that his voice matters after the last few versions.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 26, 2020

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

do you think that the baman will be sad in this next one?

Nope, Robert Pattinson is known for his bright, cheery manner and that will translate to his batman

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

People are really up in arms about Pattinson getting the role, but, really, he's a perfect Batman.

He has a really heroic chin, and that's pretty much all there is to it. Batman's physique is hidden by rubber muscles and Batman's character is so shallow and generic that absolutely anyone can pull it off. And let's not pretend that his voice matters after the last few versions.

despite being in the worst batman movie, George Clooney was probably the best Batman just because he makes the most sense as Bruce Wayne, since Batman himself requires no acting talent

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Universe Master posted:

You just get a French Batman in a fetish suit when that happens.

Azrael is a funny case since all the superheroes were getting dark and edgy 90s attitude replacements at the time and they deliberately made Azrael so the fans would get everything they wanted and hate it. That said though, I think there's some fun ground to play around with a religious fanatic taking up the Batman mantle and growing more unhinged as everyone around realises that it's not the Batman they know anymore.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hello everyone I'm bruce wayne, welcome to batman. Today we're gonna test the rocket boost on my batmobile.

*proceeds to ramp the batmobile into a group of joker thugs, robin and alfred sitting in front of the batcomputer hoot and holler going "ooooof, holy poo poo dude that was gnarly"*

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You think Gotham has some sort of special claims procedure for Batman-related collateral damage or is insurance just a very risky business endeavor? Assuming no special procedure and that crime is positively correlated to poverty, we find that Batman’s effect on insurability, and resulting decreases in property values, are the cause of all of Gotham’s problems.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 26, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
act of Batman clause

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

1redflag posted:

You think Gotham has some sort of special claims procedure for Batman-related collateral damage or is insurance just a very risky business endeavor? Assuming no special procedure and that crime is positively correlated to poverty, we find that Batman’s effect on insurability, and resulting decreases in property values, are the cause of all of Gotham’s problems.

It's an open secret that the financial arm of Wayne Enterprises heavily invests against sections of the reinsurance market via credit default swaps, meaning that Bruce Wayne only gets richer the more Batman ruins the city.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Collateralized vigilantism. In the event that there is too much simultaneous crime for Batman to fight it all at once, those with premium shares get to light the Bat Signal first. Bane goes on a crime spree across Gotham hoping to create so much havok that Batman can no longer fulfill even his AAA tranche crimefighting obligations, and has to default.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Each Gotham community gets a Bat Signal that they pay monthly fees for installation, electricity and maintenance. You can't afford this month's fees? Sorry you'll have to create your own masked vigilante to protect you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Each Gotham community gets a Bat Signal that they pay monthly fees for installation, electricity and maintenance. You can't afford this month's fees? Sorry you'll have to create your own masked vigilante to protect you.

dangit, now i'm stuck with ragman.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

You too can own your very own Batman franchise cave. We provide the gadgets, signal, and jurisdiction chart, and minus a reasonable cut you reap the rewards and have the satisfaction of running your own crimefighting business.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Someone please post some panels of the best batman (domestic terrorist freedom fighter batman from Red Son)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbaib2CJ5Q

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You have the choice of these amazing discount heroes - buttman, bartman and robbercop

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

man that's heavy-duty. Let's look at the armament.

Going bonnet-to-trunk...

Concussive white phosphorus missile launchers. Crooks get concussed but not seriously harmed. Next is a dum-dum rubber bullet or perhaps nerf prototype GAU-something. Enough to wind, bruise or potentially break a few bones but unlikely to penetrate the skin.

quote:

Finally, there's the cannon. I wasn't able to find an easy real-world analogue for it.

I think that’s a depleted uranium aluminium alloy or plastic ball bearing rail gun/cannon. Batman’s spine has been broken once before in featherweight vs super-heavyweight match-ups wrangling steroid beasts, so this is a smart move as the former weapons would be ineffective.

It’s all totally non-lethal in the right hands.

Deep Thought fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 27, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Batman just uses the common superhero genre standard for whether someone is dead or not:

If I am not absolutely 100% sure they're dead, then they're still alive.

If I am absolutely 100% sure they're dead then they're still probably alive, or at least about to be resurrected by Scarlet Witch or something.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

The Bat Cave has been closed since 1985

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Deep Thought posted:

Going bonnet-to-trunk...

Concussive white phosphorus missile launchers. Crooks get concussed but not seriously harmed. Next is a dum-dum rubber bullet or perhaps nerf prototype GAU-something. Enough to wind, bruise or potentially break a few bones but unlikely to penetrate the skin.

I think that’s a depleted uranium aluminium alloy or plastic ball bearing rail gun/cannon. Batman’s spine has been broken once before in featherweight vs super-heavyweight match-ups wrangling steroid beasts, so this is a smart move as the former weapons would be ineffective.

It’s all totally non-lethal in the right hands.

Uh, I think white phosphorus is banned by the Geneva Convention, I can't see that being non-lethal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gutcruncher posted:

You too can own your very own Batman franchise cave. We provide the gadgets, signal, and jurisdiction chart, and minus a reasonable cut you reap the rewards and have the satisfaction of running your own crimefighting business.

Batman Inc. was actually a thing in the comics years back now

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dangit, now i'm stuck with ragman.

Could be worse. Could have Section 8

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

Appman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman Inc. was actually a thing in the comics years back

Well poo poo. I guess I should read it cuz it sounds fun.