Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I showed up late, did nothing, but was the first soldier who died in the war against the aliens (even if it was in a murderous assault on a human organization). I demand a statue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ready to serve as a biologist o7.

Gonna get elbow deep in them alien guts

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, the next part is to wait and see if any aliens come out.

Yeah ok we're probably hosed. Normally they have to send UFOs to drop off aliens, but apparently on superhuman they actually start in the city before Xcom gets activated (which makes sense tbh).

Yes, Zen did drive in the absolutely most convoluted route through the entire slums for no reason. Getting the guys to the site of the investigation ASAP is actually important and the longer we take the more likely we're going to gently caress up and let aliens escape further into the city.

Imgur is being an rear end in a top hat and even though it uploads i cannot get the clip to function at all so you'll have to use the theater of the mind for that part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9sfiFNbI0

This time the combat zone is relatively small, but extremely vertical. I heard some kind of repulsive slurping sounds so there's 100% for sure aliens here

Bale is able to scope out the entire top floor, it's clear, just boxes. That means it's either in the basement or one of the gravlifts. Butterfly will check the basement.

gently caress! It's the moment of truth, bud!
https://i.imgur.com/30v2qxo.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/30v2qxo.gifv
hell yeah. But it's not over, there's still more. Ole spots a big one.
https://i.imgur.com/SON7Kgg.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/SON7Kgg.gifv

Mission accomplished, and nobody got killed or maimed! Seems like stun gas works on aliens but not as good as I'd have liked.

We don't have any way to safely transport alien biology so we just destroy the sleeping alien and all the bodies with fire. On the way home we spotted a car owned by the Cult and blew it up with rockets. The cops also killed a bunch of people for whatever reason.

So this is possibly a problem. If we failed to kill all the aliens that were originally in that warehouse, then they already escaped before we showed up. If that's the case they're still out there, lurking, trying to alien it up. Unfortunately the Gov is our main source of money and if they get mind controlled by the secret alien conspiracy we're gonna be pretty hosed. Fortunately the infiltration rate seems low and if we're lucky it's just a blip.

e: how the gently caress to i make these clips work!? If you manually go to those urls it'll show the vid. gently caress knows why it's not rendering right on SA

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 21, 2021

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I tried to go directly to a URL and it gave me an 'imgur is over capacity' page so I'm assuming it's just hosed right now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol that explains it. Anyway we rolled the aliens and almost did so good they didn't even get a turn. The last alien couldn't escape the stun gas before passing out, should have tried something else than running.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I'm down to be a physicist. Someone's gotta put science in the science machine.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I would like to die for my country CITY. Lady style, please.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Butterfly will check the basement.

gently caress! It's the moment of truth, bud!
https://i.imgur.com/30v2qxo.gifv

:blastu:

The cops also killed a bunch of people for whatever reason.

A+ for realism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Put me on the list, I think last time I was a robot with a rocket launcher but I will also accept idiot with a sword.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 21, 2021

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

First blood with weapons and fart gas, hell yea.

:fart::cthulhu:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'll gladly volunteer to die in the line of fire wielding whatever type of weaponry or experimental gizmo is likely to produce the most unexpected and hilarious (i.e. inadvertently self-destructive or altogether ineffective) results. I'd make a more specific suggestion if I knew anything about Apocalypse, but I trust you'll be able to maximise my potential for amusing disaster, SWC.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I will risk my clean rap sheet for the sake of Earth whenever there is an agent opening.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Alright i'll go through and get the recruits list together and just take it from the top whenever we have an opening.

hell fuggin yeah i have no idea whats going on here but its rad as hell. cant wait to do some serious stunts. maybe deliver a pizza. hopefully not explode immediately. :aliexpress:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Elukka posted:

I will risk my clean rap sheet for the sake of Earth whenever there is an agent opening.

You should get a 6'er just for being here a decade and having a clean one, you rascal

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Yeah so me and the other guys down at the lab were very eager when we heard about the capture of a live alien and the recovery of several dead ones. Well tempers may have flared a bit when we subsequently were informed that all tissue samples, live and dead, had been destroyed. Part because we are very eager to get published do science, but also part because no effort at all had been made to use the containment vessel prototype we have developed.
This is very demoralizing to say the least, and we have collectively decided to go on a strike untill we have put all our magic cards back into order. They may have become a bit scattered during the tumult.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You buncha fuckin nerdlettes you want me to bring ol' smokey down there and show you some real chemical reactions?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Please keep any potential micro-particle sources far away from the laboratories. We need to maintain a very clean atmosphere to minimize the risk of aerosols or other unwanted particulates from contaminating the premises. Also we've got a few with severe asthma who I know will just flare up at the drop of a dusty hat.
Also you're not allowed inside unless you can recite Pi to at least its 20th decimal and make at least 3 references to a Monthy Python sketch or movie.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

honk honk motherfuckers

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Yeah so me and the other guys down at the lab were very eager when we heard about the capture of a live alien and the recovery of several dead ones. Well tempers may have flared a bit when we subsequently were informed that all tissue samples, live and dead, had been destroyed. Part because we are very eager to get published do science, but also part because no effort at all had been made to use the containment vessel prototype we have developed.
This is very demoralizing to say the least, and we have collectively decided to go on a strike untill we have put all our magic cards back into order. They may have become a bit scattered during the tumult.

The agents were able to recover some... thing... that seemed "safe enough"

Biotransport research is currently at 27% complete so as soon as the blueprints are finalized engineering will construct them 24/7. I mean... yeah we technically only need two, but what could go wrong with selling the extras? After that starts you guys will be checking this thing out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sign me up for SCIENCE of the laser variety :hellyeah:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wait poo poo I missed the intro put me in! Some kind of reckless melee nonsense

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is there a way I can request that I train up in any particular stat(s)?
Or is that
A.) gently caress you I'm not handling everyone posting about that
B.) not a game mechanic
C.) We can try for it on missions but please stop posting about it
D.) Yea we can do that in the base between missions say whats up

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright Garrand and Caedus are in as biologist and physicist. I figure people who were like "eh put me in wherever" probably want something that's more likely to get screen time at some point? Idk if you want to be a lab nerd it seems like a low-turnover, low-risk, low-desirability job. You also make $41,600 a year! I suppose it's not that bad when you consider all your rent and healthcare are already paid for, too.

I'm pretty sure i got the rest of the recruits in line from george hw to elukka so if i pass you over accidentally lemme know.

We're approaching night time, and everyone knows that UFOs love coming out at the creepiest time possible.

Walrus & Joe are absolutely still completely hosed up and won't be in any missions for a while, unfortunately, so hopefully more boots are available soon. We can't rely on lucky jobs like the last one.

A few hours later the UFOs pop in. It's a lot of weird looking bullshit ones.
https://i.imgur.com/kCrrxXSh.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/kCrrxXSh.gifv

[for the love of god what is this 2001?? i need to upload these :files: or the thread isn't gonna work. Anybody know of any place i can dump these where i don't have to pay or sign up for some bullshit?]
Alright, so these air battles always get hectic as gently caress, but we got pretty lucky on this one. Only one escaped and our guys blasted the piss out of the rest. The bad news is at least two were able to deploy their jizz beams which means aliens have been downloaded into the city. If we're quick enough we can corner them, otherwise they'll immediately begin spreading out.

First I look at our interceptors. You need a flying one in order to recover UFO parts, and the only one who has the equipment to do it is Chrs.

So instead of heading back for repairs, it's pooper scooper duty.

Next we gotta get the squad to one of these targets and inspect for life forms to obliterate. Hopefully I remember which ones got beamed, and we can get there fast enough, and we can roll them, cause it's going to be at least two missions back to back and if our guys get hurt tough poo poo.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 21, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can you sign me up please op? I would like to to know more.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Try removing the v from the gifv extension when pasting the links here

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Kitfox88 posted:

Sign me up for SCIENCE of the laser variety :hellyeah:

you will be in as soon as i can save

Dog Kisser posted:

Wait poo poo I missed the intro put me in! Some kind of reckless melee nonsense

On the list

Big Beef City posted:

Is there a way I can request that I train up in any particular stat(s)?
Or is that
A.) gently caress you I'm not handling everyone posting about that
B.) not a game mechanic
C.) We can try for it on missions but please stop posting about it
D.) Yea we can do that in the base between missions say whats up

it's BCD, sort of.
The way it works is that organic agents can train in the base, and they gradually skill up as long as they hang out there. You also get stat increases directly from pulling off insane stunts etc, like look at lobotomy:

Both accuracy and bravery are substantially boosted compared to what they were in the start, and even health is stronger. This is from training, but the REAL GAINS come from combat. There's no way to directly control how these stats are improved, it's actually kind of like Morrowind / Skyrim where if you keep doing a skill you get better at it. Like most things in the game it's sort of well done and sorta crappily done. You learn nothing from failure, but the more bullets land the more accurate you are. The more you get shot at the braver you are. The more you heft bullshit and throw grenades the stronger you are.

Unless I use the arcane hex tools to modify the save. Pretty much the way it works is that because the game already keeps track of your original stat vs gains i can easily eyeball the calculations and force the same amount of gains into a particular stat. I'm not gonna do this constantly tho, maybe like 1 time per day max, and there's some weird caveats because for example bravery doesn't work like the others do. Also you can easily get really fuckin weird stat loadouts but the game will be fine unless you get thousands of a stat instead of the usual max of 100.

Last thread I gave people the option to use a psyclone to randomize their stats at the cost of permanently having to have one slotted into inventory and it pretty much ended up "420 equip drugs every day"

I already use the editor to name scientists because it's not really possible to name them normally in the game, so it's not a super big deal to do it, but the less i gently caress with the saves the fewer problems there are. Lest we relive this situation:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can you sign me up please op? I would like to to know more.

On list.

Kitfox88 posted:

Try removing the v from the gifv extension when pasting the links here

I did and it only shows the first frame. Maybe it's just loading incredibly slowly? I do get a huge amount of upload errors tho. A lot of times the errors don't mean anything and it still uploads fine?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
while i figure out what the hell to do about the vid situation, a vote:

Electric Hobo posted:

I showed up late, did nothing, but was the first soldier who died in the war against the aliens (even if it was in a murderous assault on a human organization). I demand a statue!

Erect monument to Electric Hobo, or dump the carcass into the sewer treatment plant when nobody's looking?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright I have reviewed the security footage. We need to do both of these, but you guys should pick which one happens first.
    Launch Investigation:
  1. Flyer Two: Owner> Superdynamics. Function> Flyer Factory.
  2. Eden Mansions: Owner> Government. Function> Luxury Apartments.

I still don't know what to do about hosting the vids, they're usually like 2 or 4 minutes long and it's hard to pare them down lower without making it completely incomprehensible.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Hit the government first, we know the aliens have already tried to infiltrate them.

All security turrets shall be reconfigured to bear the martyr's face, the better to enact vengeance in perpetuity.

Or just build a garish monument, that's fine too

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Erect monument to Electric Hobo, or dump the carcass into the sewer treatment plant when nobody's looking?
Do both.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

B first, gotta make sure the gmen stay on our side. Also monument for sure. gently caress everybody else but we don't mistreat our fallen brothers and sisters.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Garbage dump is the ideal place for fallen xcom soldiers IMO :911:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Alright I have reviewed the security footage. We need to do both of these, but you guys should pick which one happens first.
    Launch Investigation:
  1. Flyer Two: Owner> Superdynamics. Function> Flyer Factory.
  2. Eden Mansions: Owner> Government. Function> Luxury Apartments.

I still don't know what to do about hosting the vids, they're usually like 2 or 4 minutes long and it's hard to pare them down lower without making it completely incomprehensible.

B! Gotta get those luxuries.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Do both. We gotta honor fallen troops with an erection, but it's also every agent's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the city.

B, go to the mansions first. They're both really important but government infiltration always takes priority.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
I'm good for specific loadout thanks I'll go with the flow and see where life takes me. Death by popper.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Build a monument, and raid the luxury apartments.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Dump the expendable.

Raid luxury. They got some bomb rear end Lego sets.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

third?ing Do both.

and B, maybe we find something useful

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I started launching the investigation... but it seems like we might have a problem. Chrs can't recover the UFOs. Something doesn't add up.

While the team goes to inspect the apartment, the wounded guys will go with to pack up the UFOs. Hopefully there won't be any pilots there waiting for them.

There's not, this time. It's just that you have to have somebody who can get out and load the poo poo, apparently.

Not gonna bother doing the clip driving there, even though it's cool sometimes to just watch the cars go by. We're headed to the northeast part of the city. This time there will be civilians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAqwAdMhuF8

The exact second we load into the combat zone it becomes apparent that yes we do have loving aliens and yes they're not the same kind as last time.

They're on the third floor, inside. I have Butterfly, Lobotomy, Beef, & Grundma start hauling rear end over to the door. The other squad will cover the rear, it seems like a big map so that means a lot of aliens. Should probably have equipped our guys better.
https://i.imgur.com/VxSc9dv.gifv
The fuckers start attacking immediately, and our guys have poo poo for aim still. Beef puts down the little one before it can get too close. Lobotomy is such a crack shot with advanced skill that Beef takes a bullet in the back when that big slob one comes down the steps.

Diplomat goes in with the gas. If they're asleep they can't fight, and as long as we can take them down quickly they'll never wake up.
https://i.imgur.com/urY8ucS.gifv
More reliable than 500 missed shots, and if we threw frags it'd blow all the windows open and let them escape.

Next up we need to take on that green one. Butterfly's on point & completes the execution. It takes a while so Beef moves in with the artillery just in case.
https://i.imgur.com/MUEOLPP.gifv
Well gently caress. A trio of smaller aliens bust out of the big dead one and rip Butterfly to shreds. Next time we're going all in on explosives, and drat the consequences. I move the guys around to overwatch.

Luckily the gas works so we go to look for that pink thing. Bale spots it, Lobotomy finishes it.
https://i.imgur.com/FF61V8Z.gifv
RIP Butterfly Valley, died to worm rampage.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Op nobly requested a six for themselves, for every player who dies in xcom :hai: hardcore.