Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Bula Vinaka posted:

where have all the web masters gone

Jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I'm eagerly awaiting online marketing's collapse when they figure out their audience is mostly bots.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm an advanced, self-aware artificial intelligence.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm also horny.

I disagree with four of these five things.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That’s ridiculous, op. Also I’ve been trying to reach you about your student loans…

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Just wanted to say that I agree with you 110% and I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I've been online for a very long time, even before the web on boards like VA PEN, and I loved the growth and creativity of it. 1993-1999 or so were magical. But sometime around 2003 the whole thing started to kinda "dry up" outside of a few sites, and since 2014 or so it's basically been totally dead. It's interesting to have a name to put to the phenomenon now.
BitTorrent, Steam, and World of Warcraft were released around 2003. People were only talking on the internet to kill time while waiting to consume content. Those combined with increased broadband usage made getting content much faster and more reliable. Then Netflix and YouTube, etc. just sealed the deal.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021

Why would they be in jail?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Gentle Autist posted:

Hello something

awful

you’re very good at
turning

me
on

Dry mashing the button succeeds again!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's possible i'm an ai but regardless you'd have to think the contents of our posts could be intercepted and modified by a hypothetical internet ai so really there would be no way for you to trust anybody

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've spent a lot of time on the internet since I was a kid in the mid 90s. and yeah I cling to this place and small invite only discords like islands of sanity in a chaotic sea. I use twitter to keep up with musicians and artists that I like but it gets weird fast outside of my bubble of niche artists

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021
Heres some moar

https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/society-is-artificial-due-to-feedback-loops-created-by-unwitting-marketers.3342/
:carol::captainpop::carol::carol::carol::carol::carol::carol:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Y2KayBug posted:

Heres some moar

"[Marketing bots are] one reason why the social justice stuff is hitting so hard now despite the fact that America is an otherwise pretty prosperous country with no major problems causing anyone to starve. [...] That's no good, cause there's no moral parameter to stop the data from trying to get everyone to kill each other."

:thunk:

Hmmm, so social justice is part of a greed-AI plot to undermine western society with BLM protests. Looks like the jews are at it again!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

did anyone see this thread quoted in the atlantic

quote:

In the r/JoeRogan comments, users argue sarcastically—or sincerely?—about who among them is a bot. “I’m absolutely the type of loser who would get swindled into living among bots and never realize it,” a member of the 4chan-adjacent Something Awful forum commented when the theory was shared there in February. “Seems like something a bot would post,” someone replied. Even the playful arguments about how everything is the same are the same.

That particular conversation continued down the bleakest path imaginable, to the point of this comment: “If I was real I’m pretty sure I’d be out there living each day to the fullest and experiencing everything I possibly could with every given moment of the relatively infinitesimal amount of time I’ll exist for instead of posting on the internet about nonsense.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/08/dead-internet-theory-wrong-but-feels-true/619937/

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

I am a human that can't pass a Turing test :)

Greetings, fellow human.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

lmao

quote:

a member of the 4chan-adjacent internet retirement home Something Awful forum

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
We've always been in a simulation.

Proof includes:

Only twelve "character classes" (Astrology Signs)
Limited geography that never expands (no space or sea discoveries)
Only 12 notes in music
Nothing new
Ghosts aren't real ( no afterlife)
"Everything tastes like chicken"

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Why does the OP post like someone straight out of 4chan.

Also i hear there are some sweet deals on a VPN. Use code BIGMONEY when you sign up with NORDVPN. Thats NordVPN.com/BIGMONEY and save money on your browsing experience online.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Katamari Democracy posted:

Why does the OP post like someone straight out of 4chan.

Also i hear there are some sweet deals on a VPN. Use code BIGMONEY when you sign up with NORDVPN. Thats NordVPN.com/BIGMONEY and save money on your browsing experience online.

I hear what you're saying but EXPRESSVPN is the way to go. Just sign up with promocode Tarkus1 and get 35% off for the next 3 years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
wow i think if i finally understand why necromancy is known as 'The Forbidden Art'

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It should be fairly easy to prove someone isn't an AI.

Just harm a human, or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm.

I'll start.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brl7WmHDG-E

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Laslow posted:

BitTorrent, Steam, and World of Warcraft were released around 2003. People were only talking on the internet to kill time while waiting to consume content. Those combined with increased broadband usage made getting content much faster and more reliable. Then Netflix and YouTube, etc. just sealed the deal.

I think its a combination of this, and a deluge of idiots getting smartphones, like people who've only had to sign their names for twenty years functionally illiterate types, and then autocorrect/autocomplete/voice typing thrashing whatever they post into AI word salad. I think the good content gets lost in the noise, and the effort to produce good content compared to not-but-actually-is-commercial influencer crap is 100x more than what it was even two years ago.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
I knew there was something wrong. No human could eat toast like this

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hillary 2024 posted:

I knew there was something wrong. No human could eat toast like this

he's not human he is a reptilian

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This is why Ur-Pharates should have been Archon but nooo you CAGA DHUDs just had to extend the grand canal across the desert and enslave the caryatids

And now I go online and just see made up poo poo about 'insurance' and some country called NATO

WE WILL BUILD A GREAT CANAL my rear end

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Wasn't this a major part of the plot of that recent Stephenson novel, where some guy decided to break the internet by creating millions of bots posing as billions of people, each posting for every side of every issue with every possible opinion, and poo poo happened like everybody believing a town was nuked until some guy had to check for himself so he went to the town and all that happened was their internet got disconnected

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Wasn't this a major part of the plot of that recent Stephenson novel, where some guy decided to break the internet by creating millions of bots posing as billions of people, each posting for every side of every issue with every possible opinion, and poo poo happened like everybody believing a town was nuked until some guy had to check for himself so he went to the town and all that happened was their internet got disconnected

no

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mean what the gently caress do you want the answer to be to your question 'was this close to the plot of a specific book I've read'?

Why ask that?

It either was or it wasn't and you know the answer, so contribute something about it instead of hemming about and doing nothing.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Sounds like a nice story to read but you kind of ruined the ending there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hi guys I’m the internet and I’m here to tell you nothing is real

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I had some guy at a bar try to get me to believe flat earth theory. I just countered that everything was a simulation and that his brain wasn't advanced enough to get the texture pack update...

Jokes on him because solipsism is the one true philosophy, and I don't think he exists anymore.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Yes, there are bots posting garbage and nonsense all over. Twitter, youtube comments, reddit. No, the old internet you are nostalgic for did not get maliciously deleted so the AI can control everything you read. No, not every stupid user you encounter is a bot. There are real living breathing people that are poorly educated and have bad opinions and they use the same internet that you do.

That website is embarassing to read. I couldn't finish reading any of the links.

"Most of the normalf*gs on the internet arent even stupid normies, theyre AI!!! Not me though, im an oldf*g, ive used 4chan since the good old days. So of course i am right wing politically, which i will tell you because it is relevant to my story about the AI. Its relevant because, well, its kind of like im the main character in life and other people are not smart. Maybe they dont even count as real people. Maybe they are AI."

It feels like they are using outmoded internet slang from 10+ years ago. I was half expecting them to start talking about how the AI taking over internet is "epic fail" or something. Do people on 4chan really still talk like that?

Citing a post from /x/, the paranormal conspiracy theory board of 4chan. They are drinking the Bigfoot Is Real Koolaid lmao

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Ooh ooh I got it. How about since the argument that anyone you converse online with might be an AI and you cannot truly know either way based on your interaction via internet. Thats the philosophical concept called a p-zombie.

Since this is about p-zombies but on the internet

Can we call them i-zombies :awesomelon:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Oh, I'm real. And I'm spectacular.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Yes, there are bots posting garbage and nonsense all over. Twitter, youtube comments, reddit. No, the old internet you are nostalgic for did not get maliciously deleted so the AI can control everything you read. No, not every stupid user you encounter is a bot. There are real living breathing people that are poorly educated and have bad opinions and they use the same internet that you do.

That website is embarassing to read. I couldn't finish reading any of the links.

"Most of the normalf*gs on the internet arent even stupid normies, theyre AI!!! Not me though, im an oldf*g, ive used 4chan since the good old days. So of course i am right wing politically, which i will tell you because it is relevant to my story about the AI. Its relevant because, well, its kind of like im the main character in life and other people are not smart. Maybe they dont even count as real people. Maybe they are AI."

It feels like they are using outmoded internet slang from 10+ years ago. I was half expecting them to start talking about how the AI taking over internet is "epic fail" or something. Do people on 4chan really still talk like that?

Citing a post from /x/, the paranormal conspiracy theory board of 4chan. They are drinking the Bigfoot Is Real Koolaid lmao

source your quotes

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Jokes on him because solipsism is the one true philosophy, and I don't think he exists anymore.

Nihilism is the one true philosophy friend, we're all going to die and nothing matters.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Puppy Galaxy posted:

source your quotes

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/08/dead-internet-theory-wrong-but-feels-true/619937/

The Atlantic posted:

“I’m absolutely the type of loser who would get swindled into living among bots and never realize it,” a member of the 4chan-adjacent Something Awful forum commented when the theory was shared there in February. “Seems like something a bot would post,” someone replied.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Yes people on 4chan legit talk like completely worthless morons I'm sorry to reveal this stunning and heretofore unknown information to u

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yes people on 4chan legit talk like completely worthless morons I'm sorry to reveal this stunning and heretofore unknown information to u

Yep, the truth is worse than the OP, we're alive and real stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Idk if anyone remembers but this reminds me of the "toys in japan" youtube channel from a few years ago. These were like procedurally generated nonsense videos (and often disturbing) built in steamworks and set to children's nursery rhymes. There'd be 100s with imported animations from spiderman, frozen, shrek and they'd autoplay to each other in loops so ipad kids would tap one, and it'd lock into procedurally generated kids content. I remember one got as wild as importing an animation of hitler struggling on the toilet to a song about listing off the members of your family.

I caught myself blowing thru cute animal vids (like ducklings chasing golden retriever puppies etc) on fb for like 10 mins made me wonder how far away we are from being able to generate or deepfake those if not already