Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Bogus Adventure posted:

Head you down to Gleason for Gleason Days and a Giant Spider Invasion of Savings at Menards!
Loved Giant Spider Invasion for the central Wisconsin jokes. My all-time favorites are Prince of Space and Cave Dwellers, but I'm a sucker for fantasy settings. Mitchell was pretty good too. Maybe Riding with Death. Some episodes were so boring that not even the best jokes could save them. Touch of Satan is SO BAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

nuketulsa posted:

Jonah is an excellent host... maybe even my favorite host. I was prepared to hate the reboot but loved it almost instantly and was super bummed when netflix cancelled.

I had been watching Rifftrax for a while before the MST3K reboot came out and was fully prepared for it to suck. It actually did in the first few episodes where they could not. loving. wait. for jokes. to land. Everything after that is pretty good though. Some poster above me mentioned Carnival Magic which is easily as good as any "best of" classic. Even the dud episodes are at least excellent movie picks on their own.

Speaking of Rifftrax though, I really love the Bridget and Mary Jo riffs on the old Sherlock Holmes movies.

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 17, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

gloom posted:

Loved Giant Spider Invasion for the central Wisconsin jokes. My all-time favorites are Prince of Space and Cave Dwellers, but I'm a sucker for fantasy settings. Mitchell was pretty good too. Maybe Riding with Death. Some episodes were so boring that not even the best jokes could save them. Touch of Satan is SO BAD.

Prince of Space and Cave Dwellers are one hell of a pair to pick as your favorites because they're so different. If you like the fantasy episodes, then I recommend Deathstalker if you haven't seen it yet. It's so bad, but so good. The villain's line delivery makes Shatner seem fluid. It also has a cameo by Vadinho from The Pumaman.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Xotl posted:

I'd echo Pumaman and Space Mutiny, and add Deathstalker II and Cave Dwellers. For a short, I'd pick A Date With Your Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hh4M4vipAo
Thanks for this.
Appreciate everyone sharing their favourites. I checked out a few of the shorts linked, and skimmed what I could of the others. a couple of lines got smirks out if me but it's not really clicking.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eB2xtvBQ

the shorts rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWx1UII5FBw

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Pretty much any episode with a sandy frank import will be good, because the cheap special effects and over-the-top mugging give the riffers a lot to work with.

Time of the Apes might be my favorite ep, now that i think about it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

All the jam handy shorts are gold

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I usually say Space Mutiny is the perfect episode to use when introducing someone to MST3K. Werewolf, Future War, Time Chasers, Giant Spider Invasion, Hobgoblins, and The Final Sacrifice are also pretty good "starter episodes" in that regard. I generally go with those particular ones as they're fairly recently made (at least, in terms of when the show aired, anyways), so they're not overly difficult to watch in terms of actual image quality; and because they're all from the period when the MST3K crew had riffing down to a science and were operating like a well-oiled machine, with some of the best riffs of the show's history. The fact that they're also all really bad sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies also works in their favor, I think, as it's easier for someone new to MST3K to laugh at corny SFX.

I'd save the more "difficult" stuff that most of us diehard MSTies generally love (like the black & white movies, or Manos, things like that) for after the person's developed an appreciation for the show, because those are the type of movies that you generally have to have a certain affinity for in the first place to appreciate watching.

Of course now that I've said that, someone's going to come in here and talk about how Radar Secret Service or Lost Continent was their introduction to MST3K. :v:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I put money into the first kickstarter but I'll sit this one out. The Netflix seasons were ok but having followed Rifftrax for years I realized there wasn't exactly a movie riffing hole in my life that needed filling and the lack of any returning cast prevented the new episodes from having any real nostalgia appeal for me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

J-Spot posted:

I put money into the first kickstarter but I'll sit this one out. The Netflix seasons were ok but having followed Rifftrax for years I realized there wasn't exactly a movie riffing hole in my life that needed filling and the lack of any returning cast prevented the new episodes from having any real nostalgia appeal for me.

Same here. I didn't really care much for the revived MST3K on Netflix, and between Rifftrax's various releases and Trace and Frank doing monthly livestreams as The Mads Are Back (their most recent one, A Night of Shorts 3, was loving gold), I think I'm OK with not really needing any new MST3K stuff.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I, for one, want multiple riffing options for any media I consume

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I 100% agree. You got nuCrow and Pearl (and I loving LOVE Pearl as the mad). That's not to say the later seasons are bad, but 8 had a lot of hits while some of the later seasons made you sit through some stinkers like Blood Waters of Doctor Z and The Touch of Satan.

I'm now watching Space Mutiny, thanks to this thread.

Speaking more broadly, that whole era of SciFi Channel was good in a super weird way; MST3K, random low budg Canadian shows, that debate program that took place in a Amiga CGI spaceship, the other one that had Harlan Ellison give a rant at the end of every episode, Sightings, that scifi home shopping network program that sold crap like ceramic Spock heads, etc. Lots of neat, niche programming buffered by a ton of legitimately charming ephemera from a time before nerds became cool and went mad with power.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

cubicle gangster posted:

Thanks for this.
Appreciate everyone sharing their favourites. I checked out a few of the shorts linked, and skimmed what I could of the others. a couple of lines got smirks out if me but it's not really clicking.

No problem. Nothing works for everyone, and it's been fun seeing all these trips down memory lane.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Teenagers From Outer Space is a legit good movie and an even better riff fest

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mr. Lobe posted:

All the jam handy shorts are gold

My Jam Handy!

Hired! and Hired! 2 are literal gems

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ben Murphy is assumed into Heaven

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

verbal enema posted:

My Jam Handy!

Hired! and Hired! 2 are literal gems

Oh lord, when the old man puts the handkerchief on his head, and joel, the bots, and my family all had pretty much the same reaction. Good times.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Oh lord, when the old man puts the handkerchief on his head, and joel, the bots, and my family all had pretty much the same reaction. Good times.

I love when it sloooowly pans back to the old man and hes just gently caress it I gotta take a screenshot lmao

"AH HE'S EVIL"

lmao everytime

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 17, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

verbal enema posted:

Ben Murphy is assumed into Heaven

Does anything really "star" Ben Murphy?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When MST3K was actually on TV in the 90's, I'd skip it a lot because I just watched Comedy Central for standup. But I must have watched quite a few of them, because I keep seeing titles in this thread that I remember watching. About ten years ago or so I started getting the DVDs from the library every now and then, and welp, it's been a long time since I've seen Mitchell so here I go.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you search for "mst3k broadcast editions" on youtube you'll get episodes complete with 90's commercials.

its dope!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

doctorfrog posted:

When MST3K was actually on TV in the 90's, I'd skip it a lot because I just watched Comedy Central for standup. But I must have watched quite a few of them, because I keep seeing titles in this thread that I remember watching. About ten years ago or so I started getting the DVDs from the library every now and then, and welp, it's been a long time since I've seen Mitchell so here I go.

you need to get ur av and tag synced up

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you search for "mst3k broadcast editions" on youtube you'll get episodes complete with 90's commercials.

its dope!

its insanely dope

Need to go to the store and get more Tempo! and Dristan

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when im at work i the kitchen i dont play music or radio or news

its nonstop MST3K to the point where even some of the real young waitresses are starting to recognize random throwaway lines from poo poo like Monster A Go Go and The Dead Talk Back

speaking of TDTB, the Selling Wizard is a top notch short and Aldo Farnese kicks rear end

ill stop turbo posting about mst3k now

E: "Aldo Farnese died on July 28th, 1994, two days before the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode that featured The Dead Talk Back was first broadcast. " i'm sad now

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 17, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm now watching Space Mutiny, thanks to this thread.

Speaking more broadly, that whole era of SciFi Channel was good in a super weird way; MST3K, random low budg Canadian shows, that debate program that took place in a Amiga CGI spaceship, the other one that had Harlan Ellison give a rant at the end of every episode, Sightings, that scifi home shopping network program that sold crap like ceramic Spock heads, etc. Lots of neat, niche programming buffered by a ton of legitimately charming ephemera from a time before nerds became cool and went mad with power.

Yeah, that was back when SciFi was really loving good. You had Saturday Anime, bad sci-fi movies, MST3K, Battlestar Galactica, and goofy-rear end '90s commercials.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

its dope!

it's always jarring to see how... earnest advertising was, even only 25 or so years ago

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

verbal enema posted:

you need to get ur av and tag synced up

its insanely dope

Need to go to the store and get more Tempo! and Dristan

if you keep watching them they sync up sometimes, like the blinkers on a line of cars when you're waiting at a stoplight

Changing my Mitchell viewing to the commercial version, even though I despised commercials even then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcgGqPw5ck&t=615s

"Mitchell!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

verbal enema posted:

when im at work i the kitchen i dont play music or radio or news

its nonstop MST3K to the point where even some of the real young waitresses are starting to recognize random throwaway lines from poo poo like Monster A Go Go and The Dead Talk Back

speaking of TDTB, the Selling Wizard is a top notch short and Aldo Farnese kicks rear end

ill stop turbo posting about mst3k now

E: "Aldo Farnese died on July 28th, 1994, two days before the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode that featured The Dead Talk Back was first broadcast. " i'm sad now

"Some actors were born to play their roles. Aldo Farnese is Mr. Krasker."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Just like Tom Pace was born to play Buz "I'm an icky elf" Nichols in Girl in Gold Boots

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There are times I feel like I'm the only one who loved the Hamlet episode

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Good soup! posted:

There he is, GET HIM!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Help me, Vadhino
Help,
Help me, Vadinho

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Good soup! posted:

Yeah the dub is cheesy but the whole German Expressionist mood fits the play perfectly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Good soup! posted:

Crow's continual repeating of the line "And cut his throat in a church!" will never not be funny to me :v:

E: same with when Hamlet's uncle is speaking to Hamlet's mother, and Servo says lasciviously "Tonight I'm gonna unleash the Great Dane!" :pervert:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Good soup! posted:

you aren't. it's good

actually i feel like the only person who loves the boring grey talky crime/beat/cheesy scifi over the 80s stuff.

if you like hobgoblins, check out rifftrax's "blood theatre", it's good too

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I read a lot of MST3K'd fanfiction a long time ago.

They were all done by late 90s anime dorks, so their version of Mike Nelson was suddenly really knowledgeable about Sailor Moon and stuff.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Good soup! posted:

It's great

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

warwolf?
warewilf?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

nishi koichi posted:

you aren't. it's good

actually i feel like the only person who loves the boring grey talky crime/beat/cheesy scifi over the 80s stuff.

if you like hobgoblins, check out rifftrax's "blood theatre", it's good too

One my favorite MST3K episodes is The Sinister Urge, precisely because of how gray, boring, and talky it is.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
This is absolutely fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Just like Tom Pace was born to play Buz "I'm an icky elf" Nichols in Girl in Gold Boots

Rifftrax did a movie from the same director of Girl in Gold Boots and it also had Tom Pace in it so I guess that director just liked him.