Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like Secret of NIHM a lot and appreciate it being the only animated movie about a single mom until... what, Wolf Children? But I don't think story-telling was ever Don Bluth's strength.

I read the book in sixth grade too, but I don't remember it. I only remember reading Watership Down after it, and then being really interested in the rabbit religion that was referenced but not outright explained in the movie. Man, I love Watership Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid we watched this movie in class, and then for like 2 years afterwards we had this trend where we would buy or steal self-adhesive plastic gems from the craft store, and say "Oooooh, a sparklie!" whenever we showed them off. It was really popular to stick them all over your face. We would trade them, and would haggle and barter to make as much sparklie profit as possible. Other grades got involved. Teachers declared them a nuisance.

Thanks for reading my story of the weird Secret of NIMH trend a bunch of small prairie town kids had in the early 90s.

That is the power of Dom DeLuise. He had powers most only dreamed of.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I saw this when I was 7 or 8 shortly before or after seeing The Rescuers and for something like two decades had them weirdly smushed together in my mind as the same movie, so in my head it was this weird-rear end yarn about these mice that got mutated in this weird lab and then they ride this fuckin loopy seagull down to the swamp to rescue some girl that's got gently caress-all to do with the lab but there's this freaky redhead with saggy tits who's after this gem that has something to do with the lab I think, and this one rat with creepy glasses who's somehow linked to these two rear end in a top hat alligators in the swamp, and they have to save the girl to keep the house from sinking into the swamp? etc etc.

It wasn't until like mid-twenties that I discovered that duh they're two completely different films, and also those aren't creepy glasses, they're his extremely creepy eyes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rivetz posted:

I saw this when I was 7 or 8 shortly before or after seeing The Rescuers and for something like two decades had them weirdly smushed together in my mind as the same movie, so in my head it was this weird-rear end yarn about these mice that got mutated in this weird lab and then they ride this fuckin loopy seagull down to the swamp to rescue some girl that's got gently caress-all to do with the lab but there's this freaky redhead with saggy tits who's after this gem that has something to do with the lab I think, and this one rat with creepy glasses who's somehow linked to these two rear end in a top hat alligators in the swamp, and they have to save the girl to keep the house from sinking into the swamp? etc etc.

It wasn't until like mid-twenties that I discovered that duh they're two completely different films, and also those aren't creepy glasses, they're his extremely creepy eyes.

You should watch the new Ducktales.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The gem doesn’t actually do anything, but the drugs gave them telekinesis.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Smik posted:

That is the power of Dom DeLuise. He had powers most only dreamed of.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Dom the DeLuise?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I like Secret of NIHM a lot and appreciate it being the only animated movie about a single mom until... what, Wolf Children? But I don't think story-telling was ever Don Bluth's strength.

I read the book in sixth grade too, but I don't remember it. I only remember reading Watership Down after it, and then being really interested in the rabbit religion that was referenced but not outright explained in the movie. Man, I love Watership Down.

the big new cg adaptation of watership down netflix did was so, so disappointing

im trying to psyche myself up to read/watch plague dogs

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

is Rats of NIMH the secret Skaven origin story?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The rats are different from regular rats.

The animals are all people and talk to each other, but they all live regular, animal-like lives. The NIMH rats have electricity and farming. Where other animals go around talking but still living mostly the same way real animals do, the NIMH rats want civilization and culture. They trying to build a self-sustaining society because they believe that theft is wrong, even though other rats live off of it.

But it is true that you can argue that the rats are wrong when they say that they are smarter than other animals. They may well just be more educated, more technologically advanced, and more influenced by humans.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
when i get old i wanna look like nicodemus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Feivel Goes West. I watched that poo poo like a million times as a kid because we never had cable

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you guys seen the karate kid?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Auntie Shrew unsung hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Pretty sure that after the events of the movie, several rats rebranded themselves as weasels and went on to work as enforcers for Judge Doom.