Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
A lot of great soups are here, but no one said Italian Wedding yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Did anyone post this yet

Actually french onion soup is pretty dang good, if it's made right

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

If chili is soup then chili is the best soup.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sudonim posted:

Doublepost with some soup advice. Easiest homemade chicken stock in the world:

1. Go to supermarket (or costco) and buy one of the cheap pre-roasted chickens.
2. Take the chicken home & tear off all the meat and other parts you want to eat.
3. Everything you don't want to eat throw into a pot, cover with water, simmer for at least an hour.
4. Strain solids from liquid in the pot.
5. Boom, Chicken stock.

We make a lot of soups this way. As a bonus you can throw some of the torn-off meat back in to make any kind of chicken soup.

Seconded on this.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
There was a greek diner near my house for a bunch of years with the best Chicken Lemon Rice soup. Other great ones too.

Dude got old and just hung it up one day. Glad he got to retire.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
chips and salsa best soup

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

sudonim posted:

2. Take the chicken home & tear off all the meat and other parts you want to eat.
3. Everything you don't want to eat throw into a pot, cover with water, simmer for at least an hour.
5. Boom, Chicken stock.

We make a lot of soups this way. As a bonus you can throw some of the torn-off meat back in to make any kind of chicken soup.

That is a really good idea, and I'm going to have to try this

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sudonim posted:

5. Boom, Chicken stock.

We do this with the turkey carcass after Thanksgiving, it's great.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Beef stew made from bone-boiled broth with hearty garden grown vegetables(mostly potatoes) chucked in with a piece of thick rye bread to mop everything up afterwards

:yeah:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Menudo and/or pozole (red or white I’ll devour both).

Also, cocido. Everything always homemade and eaten with pan birote to sop it up.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

egg drop with wontons in it?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Wendigee posted:

egg drop with wontons in it?

This guy gets it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

hot and sour is also a contender because it is a:) hot and sour and b:) basically a dried mushroom delivery system

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We do this with the turkey carcass after Thanksgiving, it's great.

I use the turkey carcass from the previous holiday to make stock, add it to a roux and make the gravy ahead of time.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Zuppa Inglese ("English soup").

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Spinach And Artichoke dip

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ventral EggSac posted:

Spinach And Artichoke dip

hella good

gonna add the ingredients to my shopping list rn

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress dipping tortilla chips in it tho baguette or bust

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

anyone ever have a joe grey? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_sB4qUvzk

anyway going to go with gumbo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

dont tell me what to gently caress!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sudonim posted:

5. Boom, Chicken stock.

how hard is it to throw an onion, carrots, some celery, etc. etc. and make a real stock?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah you gotta double up if it's chips

Or pita chips are great too

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
chicken and dumpling soup is like chicken noodle except orders of magnitude better

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

how far do we go with the stew thing because i think technically beef stroganoff and chicken paprikash are stews

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

how hard is it to throw an onion, carrots, some celery, etc. etc. and make a real stock?

Not hard at all! I was just showing easy mode to anybody new to soup. I did it earlier in the week with some chopped up chives from our garden.

The most important part of the stock tho is the chicken bones and cartilage, because as you simmer them the collagen within turns to gelatin, which gives soup that great lip-smacking richness.

edit: This is why the bone-broth craze from a few years ago was hilarious to anyone who already knew a fair amount about cooking or food history, because we have been making broth/stock by boiling animals bones for millenia.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 28, 2021

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Lentil soup yo

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
it's either french onion soup or clam chowder, depending on how you feel inside at lunchtime

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

G A Z P A C H O ! ! !

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am here to support Chili in the soup category unless it counts more as a stew and I don’t know if stews are soups

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gatts posted:

I am here to support Chili in the soup category unless it counts more as a stew and I don’t know if stews are soups

according to Simple Wikipedia, stews do count

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think it's like the square/rectangle thing. All stews are soups but not all soups are stews

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im a lover of nearly all soups and stews (stew is a soup imo), but nothing comes close to my top spot - pho. i could eat pho every day for every meal for the rest of my life and be happy, easily. my answer to the "last supper" question (if you were on death row, your last meal...) is always pho, preferably with a side of deep fried spring rolls and a can or two of coca-cola or beer, but if they're being stingy, a simple bowl of pho will suffice. i make/buy it as often as i can and as often as my family will tolerate. my exwifes culture has a saying - "rice is life" (i can say it but i dunno how to spell it transliterated from lao), but i prefer mine: "pho is life"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Best soup I ever had was celeriac soup in Ireland. Probably had some unholy amount of butter in it too. Was amazing, and I've never had celeriac soup since, so by default it sits at the top of my pile.