Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
it is loving infuriating watching idiots who identify as "catholic" or "mormon" walk around like thier tax free pedophile syndicates have moral authority. What do all red states have in common? God and idiots. gently caress them both.

Utah without all the religious inbreds would be nirvana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Who What Now posted:

No woman, none, is waking up in the 8th month of her pregnancy and saying "Aw, gently caress, I completely forgot to have an abortion! Haha, silly me, better hop on down to PP to blender this baby!" It simply does not happen. The only reason any woman has a late-term abortion is because it is medically necessary. Late-term abortion arguments are a disingenuous way to sneak in bans for abortions of all kind. They are not logically consistent with anti-abortionist arguments.

Or they are being coercively controlled into having a baby and are escaping DV.

At least in Australia they are starting to recognize differing types of abuse outside of physical and are even pushing to educate our meathead police about various signs and control tactics. Things like women not being allowed house keys, excessive surveillance equipment, and the like.

Unfortunately the religious right cant make the connection between this sort of abuse and abortion being a necesscity.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

old beast lunatic posted:

it is loving infuriating watching idiots who identify as "catholic" or "mormon" walk around like thier tax free pedophile syndicates have moral authority. What do all red states have in common? God and idiots. gently caress them both.

Utah without all the religious inbreds would be nirvana

Yeah after this poo poo Ms Derps and I went through I agree, gently caress the Mormons even more for sitting on billions of dollars to just collect tax free escrow too and their land speculation. Really sucks they will continue to run this state forever though and are just waiting for the US to fall apart to shoot gentiles like me for their yard space and declare Deseret a nation again.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Who What Now posted:

I literally cannot conceive of why people are against abortion. It is a completely alien and inconceivable concept because it is never, ever consistent. It always seems like Calvinball because if you drill down into their reasoning they retreat to something else, and if you drill down on that they retreat to something else again. It's complete nonsense and they know it.

You mean its like arguing with a CHUD on any topic ever? They don't really have any convictions, they just feel abortion is wrong so it shouldn't happen.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I had an abortion when I was fifteen years old. It was because of sexual assault. Yes it hosed me up to not only go through assault, but to also have to go through the gauntlet that was getting an abortion at 12 weeks in Oklahoma, 22 years ago.

I literally had to drive to Chicago with a friend for the weekend to get a D&C. There were complications. My parents were unsupportive and told me the rape was my fault. That this was my punishment.

I think about how different my life would be had I attempted to carry to term. I probably wouldn't have lived to term.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Not sure if I'll make a good post here, but I'll try.

I grew up in Texas with a somewhat traditional midwest liberal family - we didn't talk about stuff like abortion, but at some point in high school I figured I was okay with it, since the arguments against it never stuck, and even then I considered myself somewhat feminist. Then I made a bunch of progressive friends after college, and they helped me feel a little more passionate about abortion as a right. I went on a few fundraising activities, bowled for abortion rights, made some probably ill-advised Facebook posts. I considered myself a good supporter of abortion rights, even if I didn't quite understand why. I knew it's what forward thinking guys tended to do, and I've generally liked women more than men anyway. Long story there.

But abortion, and what it really is, never struck me until I became a therapist, and had several sessions where my clients told me about their experience, and how difficult and lonely it was, and how their family shamed them for making what was, by almost EVERY measure, the right decision for both themselves and this unborn, barely conceived creature. I had to do Zoom sessions in the past year where my client walked me through the at-home process, and what struck me was how lonely it was, since her supportive not-boyfriend at the time still wasn't there when the process happened. And it just...sucks. Like, being able to hear those experiences and support those people has been a real honor, but I get more than ever how turning this into a political football has just taken away the humanity regarding a very, very difficult decision that I don't honestly believe anyone takes lightly. The fact that that narrative - that some women use abortion as birth control - really illustrates how little respect the "pro-life" crowd has for the women they say they protect. Denying abortion really is about creating cult loyalty to republicans and controlling women. There's simply no other logical explanation for why the end game is zero-sum.

Anyway, it's loving bullshit. I'll support anyone who gets an abortion as much as I can. At least it's one way I, a straight white hetero male, can try and make a difference here. /endrant

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mormon Nailer posted:

I had an abortion when I was fifteen years old. It was because of sexual assault. Yes it hosed me up to not only go through assault, but to also have to go through the gauntlet that was getting an abortion at 12 weeks in Oklahoma, 22 years ago.

I literally had to drive to Chicago with a friend for the weekend to get a D&C. There were complications. My parents were unsupportive and told me the rape was my fault. That this was my punishment.

I think about how different my life would be had I attempted to carry to term. I probably wouldn't have lived to term.

Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Mormon Nailer posted:

gently caress sakes :(

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I've had one
Paid for 4
Drove my ancient mom to have one lol

I posted at length about them here already, just popping in to say the end times have come. A genuine threat to the right to abortion [and the right has been effectively lost in a populous state] has come to America and no one hardly cares. I know NOTHING about the country I live in

I await death

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Spinz posted:

I know NOTHING about the country I live in

People here pay to eat paste for farm animals instead of getting a free vaccine for a virus they believe is both a hoax and a chinese bioweapon. These same pro-life philosophers think they know better than you about what you should do with your guts. Any questions?

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 9, 2021

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

A thing about getting an abortion, anywhere really, not just specific to the US, is that you know you're taking control of a situation but the ingrained shame, the learned behaviors that are associated with that as well, is so overwhelming that even if you're relieved--i was extremely relieved--are still present and nag at you for the rest of your life.

That relief still exists, but. It didn't stop people from beating me, it didn't stop people from berating me, it didn't stop people from calling me at all hours, years later, to remind me that I'm the equivalent of a murderer, or that what I did was worse than rape itself. It doesn't stop the intrusive thoughts I still have about it.

A separate but related point:

Imagine being a mom of five kids and having an abortion because you can't afford more, but your extremely Catholic family can't know because, you know. So you want to talk to your therapist, but your therapist has made it abundantly clear that you can't discuss that safely, so you bottle it up and save your money for a different therapist, but then a kid needs something, so you spend those savings on your kids. And then your husband changes jobs, or you do, and the insurance takes another 90 days to kick in, because imagine having the money to afford insurance, let alone cobra, for a family of seven.

It's a never ending cycle because of stigma, both external and internal. And it eats away at you forever.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Mormon Nailer posted:

A thing about getting an abortion, anywhere really, not just specific to the US, is that you know you're taking control of a situation but the ingrained shame, the learned behaviors that are associated with that as well, is so overwhelming that even if you're relieved--i was extremely relieved--are still present and nag at you for the rest of your life.

That relief still exists, but. It didn't stop people from beating me, it didn't stop people from berating me, it didn't stop people from calling me at all hours, years later, to remind me that I'm the equivalent of a murderer, or that what I did was worse than rape itself. It doesn't stop the intrusive thoughts I still have about it.

A separate but related point:

Imagine being a mom of five kids and having an abortion because you can't afford more, but your extremely Catholic family can't know because, you know. So you want to talk to your therapist, but your therapist has made it abundantly clear that you can't discuss that safely, so you bottle it up and save your money for a different therapist, but then a kid needs something, so you spend those savings on your kids. And then your husband changes jobs, or you do, and the insurance takes another 90 days to kick in, because imagine having the money to afford insurance, let alone cobra, for a family of seven.

It's a never ending cycle because of stigma, both external and internal. And it eats away at you forever.

Wow
I had a completely different experience. Never a moments regret. And who the gently caress needs to know?

If they judge you gently caress them. Do NOT feel that way

Are you talking about yourself?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

gently caress CATHOLICISM

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

STABASS posted:

I hate women but also children, so you can imagine I'm pretty torn on the issue

lmao

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If I had my abortion in the states, i feel it would have been a dramatically different experience, even if it would have most likely taken place in NY. It would have likely been far more damaging, even unintentionally, as it is so stigmatized and has that air of secrecy intentionally tacked onto it. And the costs would have been loving insane.

I had it in Sweden, thank god, and the clinical detachment of it was probably the best part. As it was a medical procedure, it was treated as such.

However, there was one moment where the doctor was checking me out on an ultrasound, and she tilted the monitor away from me as I had stated earlier that I was intending on having an abortion. That little moment of thoughtfulness, that I was confident in my own agency and the doctor recognized that, was so welcoming in a moment of insane physical discomfort (my body did not take early pregnancy well at all. It was MISERABLE).

Also my abortion was like 800kr, so like around 80-90 USD.

From start to finish, my experience is something I wish all those seeking the procedure could have. It wasn’t treated like this life altering, long night of the soul experience. I felt affirmed and supported by medical staff in my decision, and received appropriate care, and I’d easily consider the whole experience one of the best medical related experiences I’d ever have. If I could write a glowing Yelp review of my abortion, I would. 10/10 would expel a mass of red jello from my bits again.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Can't speak to abortions but everything about the American medical system is a cruel travesty and nothing is being done about it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

young people should be able to be absolutely irresponsible with their sexuality, and bust inside with no condom or birth control, and not have to have a kid they don't want. i'm 100% serious about this with no irony whatsoever. society should be completely based around busting inside with no condom. if it's not based on that what's the point of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yeah posted:

young people should be able to be absolutely irresponsible with their sexuality, and bust inside with no condom or birth control, and not have to have a kid they don't want. i'm 100% serious about this with no irony whatsoever. society should be completely based around busting inside with no condom. if it's not based on that what's the point of it.

Unfortunately you can't abort AIDS

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Bloop posted:

Truvada could drastically reduce this but there's stigma and cost issues.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I click wrong thread and post wrong thing. Me dum.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 9, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

Truvada could drastically reduce this but there's stigma and cost issues.

Does it also work on the herp though

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Bloop posted:

Does it also work on the herp though

Nah :(

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I think what hell yeah is hypothesizing is that everyone would have the herp at that point.

Anarcho-Itchism.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Spinz posted:

Wow
I had a completely different experience. Never a moments regret. And who the gently caress needs to know?

Are you talking about yourself?

Like, on the first part. I have a lot of hosed up brains about things that happened a long time ago and I talk to my therapist about it a lot.

Second part, sister in law. A bad scene all around.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I know a woman who was in California in the 60s/70s and had to seek out an illegal abortion. Some guy had a set up in his home. I can't even imagine

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spinz posted:

Wow

I read someone who was a rape victim point on E/N a truth that's hard to swallow, that, well, you just have every incentive in the world to be a quiet rape victim because if you don't society will loving rip and tear on you. The moment you speak up and the dice rolls in such a way that you find out your family and your parents are not the supportive type and instead are the kind of people who will blame you, you have the exact opposite of a support network that you of all people should have. Living with a stigma instead of what should instead be support is extremely loving weighty. Considering she had an abortion on those terms, there isn't a button to wash your traumas away. It's a loving nightmare that eats at you.

I have two friends who had abortions, one did it while loving around and the other did while in a relationship with a boyfriend. They took it with some levity.

On the other hand the only other teenage rape survivor I know killed herself. And I'm really only here because I don't seem to be able to loving die, so

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m fully on board with the idea that as a society, you need to be a quiet, pliant victim, especially one who seeks an abortion. The poppy that dares to rise gets throttled down, and the stigma is something I try to fight because why do the perpetrators work for them? I’m not getting paid for it.

I’m open about my abortion because there shouldn’t be a stigma attached to a medical procedure. I’m not going to feel shame about something I see no different than a cortisone shot or tonsillectomy. I won’t be made to feel shame about my medical decisions, to seek wise, scientifically supported care, to be the best person I can be, especially emotionally.

I’m angry that talking about breast implants and fillers are way more normalized than abortions, mental health and dealing with sexual assault. That isn’t to say implants and fillers shouldn’t be talked about because I’ve seen r/botchedsurgeries and let me tell you we need A Talk, but there isn’t this lead cloak of shame attached.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

I’m fully on board with the idea that as a society, you need to be a quiet, pliant victim, especially one who seeks an abortion. The poppy that dares to rise gets throttled down, and the stigma is something I try to fight because why do the perpetrators work for them? I’m not getting paid for it.

You shouldn't have to be quiet for fear of people lashing out at you because of a crime that happened against you. It's loving ludicrous that someone is raped and then they undergo a life of stigma just because they made known that that happened. Not even becoming a loud activist, going to a march, or being obnoxious about something that for all intents and purposes one would expect you to be. Just coming out that that happened can be treated as a mark of shame, like it was either your fault or, at best, you're lying about it and everyone can shrug it off.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Elentor posted:

You shouldn't have to be quiet for fear of people lashing out at you because of a crime that happened against you. It's loving ludicrous that someone is raped and then they undergo a life of stigma just because they made known that that happened. Not even becoming a loud activist, going to a march, or being obnoxious about something that for all intents and purposes one would expect you to be. Just coming out that that happened can be treated as a mark of shame, like it was either your fault or, at best, you're lying about it and everyone can shrug it off.

Exactly. I didn’t face as much stigma as I feared when I was open about my rape, but it felt like the perceived stigma was almost way worse than the actual event. After getting help for it, I sort of saw the stigma of rape as a paper tiger, but that took a ton of work and isn’t accessible for a lot of people.

But I’m not going to let others hang ups on abortion or assault color who I am, they’re the ones telling on themselves through words and actions. They’re the ones outing themselves as assholes.

I don’t want to be that person, I want to be the person others feel safe with, especially during a moment where they need it the most. I was given a huge privilege in life to having people in my life who stood for care instead of cruelty, and what good is that privilege if I cannot share what I can from that.

I don’t feel ashamed of my abortion, or my rape, because I never felt the need TO feel ashamed, and why keep that to myself?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mormon Nailer posted:

Thank you for sharing this. I'm a complete stranger on the internet so it means next to zero but I'm proud of you. You were in a terrible situation and you made the right decisions for yourself when the people who should support you wouldn't. Sounds like you've kept growing, and they stopped a long time ago.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 9, 2021

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Bloop posted:

i'm not saying you should go around rawdogging every single person.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm not saying you should go around rawdogging every single person.

Well start

This thread is pro promiscuity, albeit consensual. Get the green light and get greased up.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

My ex stopped birth control and let me finish in her as much as I wanted, so a couple months later she was preg and excited. Then her mum talked her into an abortion and I had to try to not be lovely to her while she cried to me about it.
I have pretty mixed feelings about the whole abortion thing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

kntfkr posted:

Can't speak to abortions but everything about the American medical system is a cruel travesty and nothing is being done about it.

its true, while i do not have the equipment capable to become pregnant myself, i have legitimately been strapped to a bed for days and effectively tortured for most of a week and now have actual permanent scarring from it, both physical and otherwise

I assume my experiences are probably a lot different, otoh, remembering them and the violence perpetrated against me makes it pretty easy to follow some of the emotional steps a person may be subject to in other situations where their choices re: their body are ignored

tbh, there have unfortunately been a few incidents in my life that may in part parallel some patterns. so while i dont share some of the specifics, the concept of body sovereignty is one that i have legitimately fought for my life for. and frankly, paid a price for that too.

Elentor posted:

And I'm really only here because I don't seem to be able to loving die, so

tbh, same, although i am getting really good at disappearing and then popping back up a few months later with a great tale of new PTSD layers & survival

tbh watching the horror and disbelief mount in peoples expressions as they ask me questions about my experiences gets pretty old since it usually starts during my preamble and im like, youre horrified but we havent even got to chapter 1 so lol

e; wellthis was simultaneously extremely triggering and relieving to put down in writing, which, was probably obvious enough to some of you. but uhm, perhaps i have some things to think about & discuss with the people i discuss things with. so ty. i'm going to go trick my brain into being happier with some tswift

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 9, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bad Purchase posted:

Trying to pin the right to life to some measurable, scientific test about cognition, pain, or response to stimuli is a very slippery slope. At the very least, it needs to be accompanied by the assumption of a human "soul" or some other unmeasurable significance to explain why the same test isn't used for animals that we slaughter in the billions each year that would rank higher than a human embryo in the same tests. I'm not arguing it's wrong to elevate human life necessarily, but once you do, the merit of a scientifically measurable test falls away and all that's left is trying to define an arbitrary point in the development that a fetus becomes a human.

IMO legal abortions are a clearly good from a public health standpoint but it's worth developing a personal moral take as to them. You're not going to fool yourself very deeply using the clearly arbitrary line of birth for when it's ok to kill something so I feel like it's best to at least think enough about it that you can reassure yourself that the borderline is somewhere far that away. People have a wide range of ways of dealing with this bitch of a life though.

That's why I appreciate this thread and all y'all talking about your experiences.

nesamdoom posted:

My ex stopped birth control and let me finish in her as much as I wanted, so a couple months later she was preg and excited. Then her mum talked her into an abortion and I had to try to not be lovely to her while she cried to me about it.
I have pretty mixed feelings about the whole abortion thing.

Would you care to explain them more? No pressure. I think it's a valuable insight into some of the previously mentioned social dynamics around abortion, although you obviously were leaps and bounds beyond those examples.

Anyway, in conclusion, nuke Texas.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Mormon Nailer posted:

Like, on the first part. I have a lot of hosed up brains about things that happened a long time ago and I talk to my therapist about it a lot.

Second part, sister in law. A bad scene all around.

Hug :sympathy:
To all of you

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I was really unsurprised to see that the person in favor of this law is named Swallow Prior

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Worf posted:

sad hospital words

If you don't want to elaborate that's cool but are you talking about involuntary psych holds?

cuz that's colored a lot of my experiences with medicine here. the sickest part is when they bill you for essentially imprisonment and then the bill says "Thank you for choosing OUR-CEO-MAKES 8 FIGURES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL" and then they charge you 15 grand for making things way worse.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

kntfkr posted:

If you don't want to elaborate that's cool but are you talking about involuntary psych holds?

cuz that's colored a lot of my experiences with medicine here. the sickest part is when they bill you for essentially imprisonment and then the bill says "Thank you for choosing OUR-CEO-MAKES 8 FIGURES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL" and then they charge you 15 grand for making things way worse.

My experiences in that arena are fit for a different thread that I won't make tbh.

Ihave no interest in subjecting myself to the same "hmm, but is this person's medical sovereignty really justified" dynamic, again,later,over the same thing.

I will continue to be very supportive of making your own choices regarding your body though, and, this part absolutely applies to me, gently caress the people and orgs that think they need particulars so they can justify extending you a weak agreement with your situation.

I don't/shouldn't need to compromise aspects of my life that have no legal or medical bearing and yet that was demanded and I paid a price.

Also honestly free Britney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

Involuntary psych holds are not in and of themselves a bad thing

For-profit medical care is, though

free abortions for everyone