Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Im pretty sure if someone served me a plate of rocks at a restaurant, i have carte blanche to throw them at said person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A restaurant serving rocks better not have windows...

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

I like to think they took the coffee that's shat out of a cat's rear end in a top hat and made it even more pretentious by just dumping the beans into a cup after the cat shat them out and that brown thing is chocolate made from cat poo poo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think the plate in the OP is for resting your nuts and tiny dick on. That's why it's shaped so weird.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Aardvark! posted:

if you ask "how do I eat this" all the waiters come over and kick your rear end

I ASKED FOR NO ORANGE ROCKS

*FLIPS TABLE*

..and do you have to share? all FOUR branches?

Aardvark! posted:

looking in Dubai now because more money = better

if you get to keep the mug, that's cool.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 31, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I feel like only nouveau riche and like maybe single-digit millionaires eat the actual food at these places. The “real” rich people are like that Saudi prince a poster mentioned earlier who came in and ordered a steak and fries that was probably $300 and worth every penny.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Imagine being the Guatemalan dishwasher making minimum wage and knowing you'll have to wash a bunch of plates that only had that tiny amount of poo poo food on them.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've never been to one of these Michelin star tasting places. I'd love to try it some time, I just haven't gotten around to it.

But I'd prefer to not have questions about what on the plate is edible.

do it. it's so fun.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Yaldabaoth posted:

The only expensive places I eat at are local bar and grills and for $33 I've gotten food with good enough taste and large enough proportions to justify the price.

surely you do understand that when people show pictures of a tiny piece of food they were served it's either the amuse bouche or one of a huge number of courses. i've never left a decent restaurant still hungry even when the courses were really small

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Doctor Dogballs posted:

surely you do understand that when people show pictures of a tiny piece of food they were served it's either the amuse bouche or one of a huge number of courses. i've never left a decent restaurant still hungry even when the courses were really small

I'd rather have a handful of large courses than a huge number of tiny courses that won't last long enough to savor the taste.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sorry i only eat at chinese places because they give me a giant pile of one kind of food.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Yeah, you're paying for the experience more than the actual food.

Personally, I prefer shirtlessly eating fried chicken over the kitchen sink to getting all dolled up and going out for a night on the town, but both have their merits.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Tonight I dined on hummus out of a cardboard box.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I drink bar rag squeezins and eat old cottage cheese that I leave next to the toilet.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

This one is kind of tangential to the stupid plating/inedible foods and I don't remember where it's from but somewhere extremely expensive.

They do the Caesar at Bazaar kind of like that

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 31, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Gutter Phoenix posted:

You work hard your whole life, be responsible, keep your nose clean, and then some rear end hole comes along with some halfass double plate bullshit and now everything is hosed, and you'll never get your commercial driver's license now because you showed up at the DMV drunk and on heroin and fentanyl those two times. poo poo's hosed.

A tale as old as time.

Please don’t doxx me.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Serving 10 cents worth of food on a fancy plate for $500 to rich snobs and “foodies” lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
From EDVARD in Riyadh

And back more specifically to dumbass plates,

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Dookie on shells, my favorite

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Every year for my birthday, grandma would have me and my cousins run up and down the beach searching for the most beautiful shells we could find. Then, she'd flip over my frisbee and pull down her pants. In this recipe,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goombooshka 39

two tortellini with goblin dicks served in a carrot slurry over a bedpan made of mashed potatoes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That looks like baby food.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Waiter, I’ll have the spam slice floating in a piss broth served in a bedpan, please.

Oh, and don’t forget the chūgi, please, and thank you.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's a pretty loving stupid plate op

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im so loving pissed off about this plate

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Potato puree

You mean mashed potatoes?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

super sweet best pal posted:

I think the plate in the OP is for resting your nuts and tiny dick on. That's why it's shaped so weird.
I think it's for nuts only cause one testicle is smaller than the other :eng101:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Aardvark! posted:

From EDVARD in Riyadh

I haven't been this angry at a post on the internet since like 1997

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I'm annoyed just thinking about the tedium of degustation menus and having to pretend to give a poo poo about the fascinating concept of each of the twenty courses.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Love the goons whove survived on frozen ValuTime pizzas, Mountain Dew Code Red, and Soylent for the past two decades scoffing at fine dining and blaming "hipsters" for degustation menus.

Its not for everyone but tasting menus give chefs the opportunity to tell a story and showcase a variety of flavors and concepts within a meal.

Like, you don't order this "small food" a la carte. Its part of a larger service.

The thing about "molecular gastronomy" (a buzzy term im not fond of) and modern techniques in general is that its very very high ratio of input to output.

Grilling a steak isnt much work, but spherification of a broth made with locally foraged mushrooms and wild herbs is a ton of loving work, and it might be one component of a canapé with 9 components. So, at the very least appreciate that someone who really, truly cares about cusine and creating a sensory experience for guests has put a ton of work onto the plate to maximize your enjoyment for a fleeting moment.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Poohs Packin posted:

Love the goons whove survived on frozen ValuTime pizzas, Mountain Dew Code Red, and Soylent for the past two decades scoffing at fine dining and blaming "hipsters" for degustation menus.

Its not for everyone but tasting menus give chefs the opportunity to tell a story and showcase a variety of flavors and concepts within a meal.

Like, you don't order this "small food" a la carte. Its part of a larger service.

The thing about "molecular gastronomy" (a buzzy term im not fond of) and modern techniques in general is that its very very high ratio of input to output.

Grilling a steak isnt much work, but spherification of a broth made with locally foraged mushrooms and wild herbs is a ton of loving work, and it might be one component of a canapé with 9 components. So, at the very least appreciate that someone who really, truly cares about cusine and creating a sensory experience for guests has put a ton of work onto the plate to maximize your enjoyment for a fleeting moment.

Sorry i just dont have the money for a twenty course meal of fake tree branches and rock sucklings.

Ill stick with the fuckin pizza, tyvm.

Bougie loving bullshit.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Raisin bread toast and fried spam off paper plates. But the butter is fine imported Irish butter, so I’m not white trash.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Talkc posted:

Sorry i just dont have the money for a twenty course meal of fake tree branches and rock sucklings.

Ill stick with the fuckin pizza, tyvm.

Bougie loving bullshit.

Only 19 of the 20 courses are tree branch based :eyeroll:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Poohs Packin posted:

this poo poo doesn't need defending. it's just rich people poo poo, like expensive handbags, which i'm sure the designer is trying to "tell a story" with as well

it's for someone so accustomed to constant pleasure they can't savor a loving homemade chocolate chip cookie anymore and instead have to suck ersatz alien poo poo out of a miniature toilet with a crystal straw to show how much their tastes have surpassed those of human beings. gently caress that and gently caress them. and you know what? gently caress the chefs whose calling is to serve people like them, too

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
This poo poo literally costs as much a a 40 hour week on Texas minimum wage.

"Its not for everyone" : Its for the loving stupid vapidly rich.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I worked fine dining and did private events where we put on these sorts of meals in peoples homes. Some clients were indeed very wealthy but Id say most of it was middle class people looking to commemorate a special occasion or milestone.

There is a world class restaurant where I live and I think its $160/pp for their tasting menu. Obviously its expensive but not absolutely out of reach for like a wedding anniversary or something. Theyve been in business for a while and are booked out on weekends, obviously theres a market there for people who arent monopoly guy rich.

I think people become purposefully obtuse when it comes to aspects of fine dining and just refuse to try to understand. Obviously theres a difference in quality between a Mcdonalds cheeseburger and a freshly ground steakhouse burg.

Fine dining is pushing out to the limits and trying to rev up that quality of experience. It doesnt have to be crazy new cuisine either, although thats mostly the thing people are shrieking mad about. You can apply the same principles of care and preparation, sourcing the highest quality ingredients, and apply it to a really old school dish like prime rib and have amazing results.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Aardvark! posted:

From EDVARD in Riyadh

Between this and the Dubai stuff I'm getting the impression that oil magnates think the more expensive the food is the less it should look like actual food.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

this poo poo doesn't need defending. it's just rich people poo poo, like expensive handbags, which i'm sure the designer is trying to "tell a story" with as well

it's for someone so accustomed to constant pleasure they can't savor a loving homemade chocolate chip cookie anymore and instead have to suck ersatz alien poo poo out of a miniature toilet with a crystal straw to show how much their tastes have surpassed those of human beings. gently caress that and gently caress them. and you know what? gently caress the chefs whose calling is to serve people like them, too

Lol sorry for the double post but I cheffed on a superyacht and literally served warm chocolate chip cookies all the time.

I see youre very mad about the food though. Ill send you my cookie recipe if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Poohs Packin posted:

I cheffed on a superyacht

:guillotine: