Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The first page of this thread loving sucked dunking on our boy Glover but this page has brought it back

one of my favorite things I've ever seen in these threads that I still think about frequently was a few months ago someone just casually saying that Chris Weidman knocking out Anderson Silva while he was dancing was a "cowardly" punch and while I have no idea if that post was ironic it doesn't matter anymore because it completely redpilled me into realizing that since this is the dumbest most stupid sport on planet earth, any athlete adding to it being more dumb and stupid should be encouraged and rewarded as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

awesome

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i seriously even thought 'hey grandpa that page lookin kinda long maybe count the posts before u say this' but the angle on my shoulder said :justpost:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just as a general culture thing, more fighters should be willing to win by DQ. Illegal shots do a shitload of damage and trying to fight through them has ended poorly so often I have no idea why it's still a disputed point (aside from MMA fans in general being toxic AF)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

beep by grandpa posted:

i seriously even thought 'hey grandpa that page lookin kinda long maybe count the posts before u say this' but the angle on my shoulder said :justpost:

Do it! :justpost:
:69snypa:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I've been working out, so my shoulders are starting to have more angle too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Just as a general culture thing, more fighters should be willing to win by DQ. Illegal shots do a shitload of damage and trying to fight through them has ended poorly so often I have no idea why it's still a disputed point (aside from MMA fans in general being toxic AF)

From everything except fans crying about it. It's a win win win.

Aljo is shook af but I mean. Win bonus, the belt and the chance for another fight with ppv points when you were on your way to a lopsided decision loss isn't a bad outcome.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Chael going with the "tapping loses a round" excuse is an all time mma comedy moment. The guy was comedy gold

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

ilmucche posted:

Chael going with the "tapping loses a round" excuse is an all time mma comedy moment. The guy was comedy gold

Another all time great clip:

https://youtu.be/8k6RcfjTKpA

I couldn’t find a decent clip that wasn’t the whole interview, but immediately after this Ariel asked him if he had just been to Brazil and Chael just says “yes” very matter-of-factly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

From everything except fans crying about it. It's a win win win.

Aljo is shook af but I mean. Win bonus, the belt and the chance for another fight with ppv points when you were on your way to a lopsided decision loss isn't a bad outcome.

It's sure as poo poo better than trying to fight with a severe concussion that the opponent achieved illegally. I still feel really bad for Jorge Rivera, though I understood why he didn't take the DQ win.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I can't get mad at it because it's dumb to think the fight is just the 2 guys in the ring. At the top level the fight is the camp, it's the weight cut, it's your corner, it's communication. They screwed up communication and at a top level those small differences matter, they just worked out in a way that feels unfair this time. But that's just part of sports.

And it's absolutely the sort of thing they deserves a rematch but it's not like you get surgery for fun.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aljo was for sure unable to continue in his fight, don't get me wrong.

I mean now, he's shook af.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

The problem with Aljo was that everyone were clamoring for the rematch and he suddenly went "Nah, I'm not sure Yan deserves a rematch". This might have been a (very misguided and poor) attempt at drumming up controversy and interest for that match, but instead, it lead people to (unsurprisingly) label him a coward who was ducking Yan. The correct response would have been "All my life, I've dreamed of becoming the UFC champion, but I'm not happy with winning the belt under these circumstances. When we meet again, my victory leave no doubt as to who's the real champion." There. Easy-peasy. Aljo, however, instead chose the snivelling pro-wrestling heel approach, which soured even those who originally stood by him. It was easily avoidable and amazingly stupid.

It's just funny because of course the UFC will make a rematch.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/Roxyfighter/status/1456285845791539204

It is the end of an era.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Roxy was never that good but I still have a great personal stake in seeing her do well because I genuinely believe that while she may be a big loving nerd, she seems to be class act / model citizen / whatever the word I'm looking for.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Roxy was good as recently as 2020 and 2019.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No other woman will even get close to 50 fights.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Roxy also rules as a fighter because regardless of skill level she just flat out loves to fight.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Brut posted:

Roxy was good as recently as 2020 and 2019.

She definitely got better. Good? I dunno.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Roxy is someone you see at your gym who is pretty bad but over the years makes a few breakthroughs and you're happy for their overall progression. And they never need the competition victories to fulfill their personal journey, which makes you wonder if you're training for the wrong reasons.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

Roxy is someone you see at your gym who is pretty bad but over the years makes a few breakthroughs and you're happy for their overall progression. And they never need the competition victories to fulfill their personal journey, which makes you wonder if you're training for the wrong reasons.

lol this is a a good post

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also she dressed up as Princess Leia for a weigh in and got knocked out by slam twice. She's a huge nerd and a massive dork. She's about as athletic as Bethe Correira but made up for it with a determination and willingness to learn. Roxy loving rules and it's a loss for MMA that she's retiring.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Snowman_McK posted:

Absolutely. Someone mentioned Bisping/Rivera and that knee was every bit as dangerous as Aljo/Yan. Rivera tried to fight through it, but was clearly compromised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's just funny because of course the UFC will make a rematch.

Of course, it was inevitable and Aljo should have embraced the rematch. There was a lot of pro-Aljo sentiment after the fight. Now there's considerably less.The UFC has proven time and time again that they are willing to bend or break every rule in the book for popular fighters. Deliberately making yourself unpopular means less merch money to you and less leeway with the UFC brass.

kimbo305 posted:

A good post. Roxy's a treasure and I hope she's able to continue her life long martial arts quest of blending the essences of Myamoto Musashi and Sailor Moon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Freudian slippers posted:

Of course, it was inevitable and Aljo should have embraced the rematch. There was a lot of pro-Aljo sentiment after the fight. Now there's considerably less.The UFC has proven time and time again that they are willing to bend or break every rule in the book for popular fighters. Deliberately making yourself unpopular means less merch money to you and less leeway with the UFC brass.

The UFC will also unhesitatingly throw fighters who've done them many solids under the bus. They might even reward the bus with a carrot. There is no leeway with the brass because they have the loyalty of a rabid hyena.

Also, pissing Yan off makes for good promos too. The UFC didn't mind when Chael Sonnen carried a belt around for like two years. If they can't promote a heel turn like Aljo's, they're not much of a promotion. (They aren't much of a promotion. The thing that they're called, they're specifically really bad at)

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

A lot of people just watch the fights and don't follow the press conferences and other media coverage closely. To them it will just be a rematch following the DQ win.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

GTO posted:

A lot of people just watch the fights and don't follow the press conferences and other media coverage closely. To them it will just be a rematch following the DQ win.

I hope you're right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Anthony Smith should have taken the DQ win against Jones.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

But then he wouldn't be a True Warrior

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i hate it when fighters shave their heads cause they just look like klansmen skinheads to me a lot of the time, but tbh the only dude to pull it off and actually look badass is Volk

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

beep by grandpa posted:

i hate it when fighters shave their heads cause they just look like klansmen skinheads to me a lot of the time, but tbh the only dude to pull it off and actually look badass is Volk

Male pattern baldness isn't the most intimidating look though.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

butros posted:

Male pattern baldness isn't the most intimidating look though.

More skullets in MMA.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

beep by grandpa posted:

lawler no hair > lawler with hair

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here’s my breakdown – later than usual but better late than never, right? Oh sorry the booth is telling me that’s not true in all cases. Anyway here we go. Good card ahead.

Main card PPV
Welterweight Championship Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington
Usman is a drat good champ. He’s a killer wrestler who is really good at doing a different tactical approach to the same game plan that took Khabib through his career – ground dudes, hit them while they stand up, and mat return. Usman tends to let his opponents get up higher, though. Since winning the championship he has started working with Trevor Whitman and has scored KOs with both hands. He jabs off both sides, switches stances fluidly, and takes his time, but then occasionally just knocks someone’s teeth into the cheap seats. He’s in my opinion the p4p best fighter in the sport. His knees are shot though.

I hate Covington and everything he stands for. He’s a boring wrestler with a high volume striking style. In their first match Usman broke Covington’s jaw in the 5th round.

:supaburn:Women’s Strawweight Rose Namajunas vs Zhang Weili
Another rematch. In their first match Rose caught Zhang behind the head with a really sneaky front leg high kick. Rose is the prototypical strawweight: kickboxing with gumbi girl grappling. In her early career she scored a flying armbar win. That kind of poo poo. The thing is that she’s extremely good at everything she does. Her strikes are accurate, her grappling is strong, and her defensive striking game is good. Her losses in her recent career have either been close split decisions or complete dramatic blowouts (being slammed through the mat). Her weak side is her psychological game, which is widely acknowledged – she suffers from a lot of post-traumatic problems, which leads to overwhelming fight anxiety.

Zhang is virtually perfect in her career aside from that one high kick. She’s another strong, tactical kickboxer with as complete of a standup game as anyone in MMA. Her grappling isn’t as complete as Rose’s, but she has decent offensive submissions and I regard her as the stronger wrestler. She credits the loss to Rose to psychological lapse. I’ll grant her that, even though most Rose fans don’t (though they grant it to Rose idky) – among other factors, she admits that she was shook seeing her new friend Chris Weidman’s leg break seconds before she was told to get ready to walk out. It may be a small factor, but a small factor is all it takes when both fighters are this good.

Oh did I mention that both of these strawweights have KOs? Because they both have KOs. Oh and they also both have multiple fight-of-the-night awards, and at least one fight-of-the-year between them. This matchup is amazing. Watch it.

Bantamweight Frankie Edgar vs Marlon Vera
Former lightweight (20 lbs heavier) champ Frankie Edgar is still hanging around at the far end of the bell curve for “most time in the UFC.” I think he has most cage time. He’s a solid fighter in the wrestleboxer mould, but champion-tier Edgar was built on toughness, and that hasn’t aged. He’s a stick-and-move boxer with great wrestling. Vera is a younger fighter who is doing a tour of former champs – he just had a match against Jose Aldo where Aldo completely outclassed him but Vera managed to stay in the fight the whole way. Vera is cool.

:siren:Featherweight Shane Burgos vs Billy Quarantillo
Burgos is a younger fighter who has had his ups and downs – his three career losses are to Barboza, Josh Emmett, and Calvin Kattar – not bad! But the problem is that Burgos is one of these guys who could have a fight of the night against that cardboard cutout of Conor McGregor that your head bjj instructor swiped from a liquor store. He’s skilled, and he’s tough, but he eats way too many shots. He got KOed by Barboza in May. Quarantillo is a tough American wrestler. He’s fun and he has cardio for days, and he has enough power to have TKO finishes over dudes who I know.

:frogsiren::frogsiren::jiggled:Lightweight Justin Gaethje vs Michael Chandler
Geez why don’t we take two dudes who have multiple fight of the year awards/nominations apiece and make them fight? poo poo instead of breaking this down in detail I’ll just list some of those:

Gaethje vs Luis Palomino (2015)
Gaethje vs Michael Johnson (2017)
Gaethje vs Eddie Alvarez (2017)
Gaethje vs Dustin Poirier (2018)
Chandler vs Eddie Alvarez (2011)
Chandler vs Eddie Alvarez (2013)

Alvarez is picking Gaethje. Both guys are coming off of failed title losses where they had the poo poo kicked out of them.

Prelims
:siren:Middleweight Alex Pereira vs Andreas Michailidis
Pereira is a boxer who became a kickboxer and has two wins – including a KO – over Izzy Adesanya. Now he’s an MMA. He has like a 4-1 MMA record or something? Michailidis is the guy who fell through the cage door to lose by TKO. He has a loss to a bad fighter in the UFC, and his only win is that one against the Canadian dude who did nothing the whole fight and got cut. :worms: KO artist kickboxer against a guy who has no UFC wins against opponents who fight back? Cool.

Lightweight Al Iaquinta vs Bobby Green
Must be an economic downturn in the Long Island real estate market because Iaquinta is back. He’s a pretty good fighter out of Sera-Longo (i.e. a well-rounded guy with a wrestle base and good hands) but he only fights once every two years. If you check out his record you’ll see he had a title shot, but don’t let that fool you into thinking he’s elite – it took what goons certified as the funniest series of MMA events in a decade to get him into that bout. Bobby Green is a highly technical striker who will have a competitive split decision with nearly anyone. He’s defensively focused, and mostly seems like a cool dude. As always he’s coming off of a loss that could have been a win, or a win that could have been a loss. I can’t remember which.

Middleweight Phil Hawes vs Chris Curtis
Hawes is a DWCS guy who is 3-0 with a gigantic KO and two decisions against named opposition. He’s a strong puncher with some degree of proper standup. Jack Slack tells me that Chris Curtis is a DWCS guy who scored a crazy flashy KO and then didn’t get signed – since then he has wandered the MMA hinterlands and now comes in on short notice.

Middleweight Edmen Shahbazyan vs Nassourdine Imavov
Shahbazyan is Ronda Rousey’s protégé – when he was a skinny teenager he was one of her main sparring partners. He had a 5-0 start in the UFC but he got KOed by Brunson and then outclassed by Jack Hermannsson. He’s young but he needs to start winning again. Imavov is a karate/savate type dude who is a good striker but unranked. It’s an appropriate match for Shahbazyan, and probably the one he should have gotten instead of Jack the Joker in his last one. Imavov is coming off of a loss to Phil Hawes.

Welterweight Ian Garry vs Jordan Williams
Garry is a cage warriors dude who I’ve probably seen fight but I can’t remember: Irish, 7-0. Jordan Williams is that guy who lost a bunch of times on DWCS and has diabetes or something, and then was brought in to the UFC after finally getting his DWCS win, and now he has lost to Imavov and Mickey Gall. Feel good?

Early Prelims
:fella:Heavyweight Gian Villante vs Chris Barnett
Oh my god. Huggy Bear Barnett is a gigantic former super heavyweight who has enough gas to do 90 seconds of amazing stuff that a chonky sphere of a man has no business doing, and then he gasses. Gian Villante is retiring after this fight, which is good, because he needs to be cut anyway.

Light Heavyweight Dustin Jacoby vs John Allan
Jacoby is an excellent kickboxer who will live on the prelims forever. He’s 3-0-1 with a draw against Cutelaba on this UFC run actually. Alan has a win overturned by drug test vs Mike Rodriguez, and then a loss to Roman Dolidze. Whatever – juiced Brazilian k.

Featherweight Melsik Baghdasaryan vs Bruno Souza
DWCS 6-1, 1-0 UFC Arminian (head kick) vs 10-1 LFA Brazilian who wears a gi in his Tapology picture.

Flyweight CJ Vergara vs Ode’ Osbourne
Obligatory flyweight curtain jerker. Vergara is a DWCS guy making his UFC debut. Ode is the guy who got smashed by Manel Kape. I remember him being fun but not good

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I'd like it if they tried Roxy out as an analyst or commentator. She's got a ton of experience and has a really genuine love for the sport and I think she would probably stay on topic more than DC. And I think she's probably a touch on the awkward side which would just make more socially weird moments in the broadcast booth. Which is, I think, a good thing. Better than DC laughing at his own jokes and being impressed that Jon Anik googles things before he goes on live television to talk about them.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

We need the bright wonderful love of Fight Dad laughing at basically nothing, however I will trade you Felder and Cruz for Roxy and a commentator to be named later

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lucasar posted:

I'd like it if they tried Roxy out as an analyst or commentator. She's got a ton of experience and has a really genuine love for the sport and I think she would probably stay on topic more than DC. And I think she's probably a touch on the awkward side which would just make more socially weird moments in the broadcast booth. Which is, I think, a good thing. Better than DC laughing at his own jokes and being impressed that Jon Anik googles things before he goes on live television to talk about them.

Promote Megan Olivi up to a higher tier position and give Roxy the job where she stands in the tunnel and announces fighters as they do walkouts but let her cosplay all she wants while doing it.

Roxy Dressed as Goku: "Calvin Kattar is one of the featherweight division's most respected boxers, but he ran into some next-level opposition in his learning experience against Max Holloway. But that's no problem for the Boston native, who brings his always-tough attitude into the octogon tonight"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/1456633693330575365?s=20

:unsmith:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The Chris should not be standing and should instead be rolling around in a wheelchair indefinitely a la Ricky Bobby.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That cost me $200 t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Promote Megan Olivi up to a higher tier position and give Roxy the job where she stands in the tunnel and announces fighters as they do walkouts but let her cosplay all she wants while doing it.

:hmmyes: