Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did 2021 suck?
This poll is closed.
Yes 54 28.27%
Very much yes 34 17.80%
Oh gently caress yes 32 16.75%
Are you fuckign kidding me, HELL YES IT SUCKED 71 37.17%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

That is so drat lovely. There should have been a solution to this ages ago.

Wrap your cat in chainsaw pants so it fouls their angle grinder*

*Won't stop a sawzall, may catch fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Facebook is poison. I've been off for over 3 months and don't miss it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Darchangel posted:

Supposedly, recyclers are only supposed to accept catcons from licensed companies - wrecking yards, mechanics shops, etc., similar to copper pipe and wiring, but of course there's always a shop that will front for someone.
Why aren't catalysts stamped with a VIN? So many other expensive parts are. But don't bother putting a mark on a $2000 part that is hanging unprotected on the bottom of the car. I guess it would cost automakers a nickel to stamp and track catalysts in their supply chain.

I think its pretty messed up that I can't buy a used, working OEM catalyst from a crashed vehicle to replace mine, but a thief can sell mine without any problem to a fence, I mean, recycler. The choices are to buy a new aftermarket cat that works just barely enough to convince a downstream oxygen sensor or spend over $2000 for one from Honda.

My Facebook account doesn't have my real name and I don't post with it. I'd like one of those Oculus Quest 2 headsets, but I'm not going to send any money Zuck's way.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Rhyno posted:

Facebook is poison. I've been off for over 3 months and don't miss it.

Good words. Discord and SA and Tumblr are where it's at. Yes I am calling from some weird point in the past.

Bring back MySpace and it'll be complete.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
how is serializing cats going to help you exactly?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Putting VINs on cats is just part of the solution. Legislation on the scappers and active participation of law enforcement agencies are also crucial. There are only a handful of auto manufacturers, so its probably best to start there first.

It isn't going to help me with my ancient cars, but you have to start somewhere. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
actually tracking serialized parts is a huge loving pain in the rear end

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

actually tracking serialized parts is a huge loving pain in the rear end

While not wrong, it beats the literally nothing we have in place right now to hold thieves and recyclers responsible for thousands of dollars worth of damages

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm guessing they're just gonna use the same angle grinder they used to cut it off to grind off the etched vin

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PBCrunch posted:

My Facebook account doesn't have my real name and I don't post with it. I'd like one of those Oculus Quest 2 headsets, but I'm not going to send any money Zuck's way.

This is one of the things that stops me on the Quest 2 also. Irritates the hell out of me that Facebook bought the best manufacturer of VR rigs for the price and injected their poison.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm guessing they're just gonna use the same angle grinder they used to cut it off to grind off the etched vin

True. Not like glass where it's very visible and needs to remain clean and clear. Although, manufacturers also VIN body panels. What's the logic there? That would be a similar situation to the cats.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Got a cat with a ground off VIN? Jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiyfwZVAzGw

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've had a couple people talking about this latest Joe Rogan podcast where this mRNA expert is on it basically making GBS threads on vaccines or something. I'm really not looking at taking 3 hours out of my life to listen to it, but if anyone has, is the guest a crank or something?

Joe Rogan basically has zero credibility himself with me, but he does have guests that know there poo poo... and just as often don't.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 4, 2022

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

I've had a couple people talking about this latest Joe Rogan podcast where this mRNA expert is on it basically making GBS threads on vaccines or something. I'm really not looking at taking 3 hours out of my life to listen to it, but if anyone has, is the guest a crank or something?

Joe Rogan basically has zero credibility himself with me, but he does have guests that know there poo poo... and sometimes don't.

I think he originally worked on mRNA vaccines but he’s been discredited.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Let me put it this way, the episode was deleted from a bunch of places, YouTube being one, because the Dr was a crank and spouting a bunch of nonsense.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Joe Rogan is just Gwyneth Paltrow with less hair

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Joe Rogan basically has zero credibility himself with me, but he does have guests that know there poo poo... and just as often don't.

The fact that he continually has guests who are literal whackjobs should be enough reason to treat anything that comes up in his interviews with anyone as bullshit until conclusively proven otherwise.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I mean, clearly the vaccines are working, so arguing against them this far into it is just sheer willful ignorance and stubbornness.
Mind you, that pretty much describes the USA in a nutshell. Do you know we’re only 50% vaccinated? And we call other nations third world…

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Darchangel posted:

I mean, clearly the vaccines are working, so arguing against them this far into it is just sheer willful ignorance and stubbornness.
Mind you, that pretty much describes the USA in a nutshell. Do you know we’re only 50% vaccinated? And we call other nations third world…

I forget where or how I stumbled across it (and as a result I can't just pop it out for you which, yeah, yeah, I know...) but a few years ago I found an interesting article (and they had data) that basically showed that when it comes to educational achievement it's misleading to say the USA is at the bottom of the developed nations. It's far more accurate to say that the USA is like several countries, some of which are right up there with the scandinavian countries and hong kong and others of which are right up there with slightly the developing world. Anyway, it's really been useful to me to think about the US in this way for a lot of things and I think vaccination is one of those things.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

builds character posted:

I forget where or how I stumbled across it (and as a result I can't just pop it out for you which, yeah, yeah, I know...) but a few years ago I found an interesting article (and they had data) that basically showed that when it comes to educational achievement it's misleading to say the USA is at the bottom of the developed nations. It's far more accurate to say that the USA is like several countries, some of which are right up there with the scandinavian countries and hong kong and others of which are right up there with slightly the developing world. Anyway, it's really been useful to me to think about the US in this way for a lot of things and I think vaccination is one of those things.

Are you telling me the states aren't as united as the label says?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

StormDrain posted:

Are you telling me the states aren't as united as the label says?

Not even states - it's much more local than that. And, I know this is going to shock you so please sit down, it's basically about money (at least for education).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

For some reason I've never thought of this, but it really rings true for me, I had access to a pretty wonderful education in high school, I got to take college level courses in Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, and History through my junior year, then senior year took (community) college courses instead of traditional ones, which were honestly a level below the AP courses I had a year before.

That's in stark contrast to the education some of the people I've met have in the military have had, where we joke that their schools taught the "three r's" Reading, Writing... and Counting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

Not even states - it's much more local than that. And, I know this is going to shock you so please sit down, it's basically about money (at least for education).

Also true, my parents got me into a public school in a wealthier area of the city than the closest school in "my" district of the same city, and all the metrics for standardized test scores and whatnot were way higher than the other, lower middle class school, which were in turn much higher than those in the poor parts of the city.

Most of my life has been spent in a military program that's only open to the top few percent of people who score highly on the standardized entrance test, and the people in the program are painfully white, like 90% white male. There's a reason for that, and it isn't that white people are inherently smarter or better at engineering. It's bald faced systemic racism and bogarting funding for public schools in "nice" areas by stealing funding from schools in poor areas, that's without getting into private schools.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on how many cats you have if they stand still long enough for a scanner to read them. loving bitch to get a label with the number on them tho

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Depends on how many cats you have if they stand still long enough for a scanner to read them. loving bitch to get a label with the number on them tho

Mine are tattooed in the ear but it took anesthesia to get that done

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Last time I sold a converter,, the scrap place wanted proof of ownership of the car I claimed it came from. They accepted an insurance card because it had a VIN. I was only selling it because the pipe rusted off both sides, so it was just rattling around being mostly nonfunctional, and I replaced it with a new aftermarket assembly.

What good does that do? No idea, unless they're just making it a little harder to sell multiple converters by making you provide a different VIN for each. I assume if I tried to sell them another one using the same VIN, they'd deny me?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PitViper posted:

Last time I sold a converter,, the scrap place wanted proof of ownership of the car I claimed it came from. They accepted an insurance card because it had a VIN. I was only selling it because the pipe rusted off both sides, so it was just rattling around being mostly nonfunctional, and I replaced it with a new aftermarket assembly.

What good does that do? No idea, unless they're just making it a little harder to sell multiple converters by making you provide a different VIN for each. I assume if I tried to sell them another one using the same VIN, they'd deny me?

https://imgur.com/GtT0eHf.mp4

Cops don’t give a gently caress about property crime. Most people will never be the victim of a violent crime, but will be the victim of a property crime. Police abuse that to maintain support and keep their budgets up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Police abuse that to maintain support and keep their budgets up. running around in MRAPs with grenade launchers while shooting innocent civilians by mistake regularly

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Right, with the number of people still running around hacking converters out of cars, I assume my closest scrap place is probably the outlier, and most places will take whatever because the cops don't give a poo poo. Luckily all my cars are too low to make stealing the cat a quick affair, and I'm too much of a homebody to leave them parked outside anywhere.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was just getting diesel in my Delica and the sheriff just got an armored personnel carrier and a couple of H1s. Now I like my sheriff and he is a good dude…who cares about our citizens this is not snarky it’s good. But kind of ridiculous

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You know something is a problem when there is a whole industry out there to solve it. Not by fixing the issue with theft but by making it harder that it usually is so the thieves just move on to another car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if in the future there will be an expansive battery pack theft and resale industry.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just check craiglist or fb marketplace to find your local "I buy stolen cats" or "I install stolen cats" reseller.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

builds character posted:

I'd argue it's about power, and a subset of power, racism. Money is just the tool.

Man I'm feeling some kind of way. Society sucks.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if in the future there will be an expansive battery pack theft and resale industry.

Probably already is, but it’s a lot harder than 30 seconds with a sawzall so not every junkie can do it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

One out of the five vehicles I own has a Catalytic Converter, good luck figuring out which one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Safety Dance posted:

If you're worried about turning your car into a cold weather survival shelter, you should keep a little cold weather survival kit in your car.
- Space blanket
- Hat and gloves
- Snacks
- Maybe water (a water bottle could freeze)
- Emergency candle / lighter / matches

If you need to light the candle, crack the window a smidge to let in fresh air.

I'm up north, but one of the things I've gotten great use out of is marketed as a 'survival blanket', it's basically a heavier grade space blanket backed with blaze orange waterproof cloth so it's harder to tear.

My fall/winter camping kit also lives in my car all winter, and includes a sheet of reflectix insulation the size of a camp pad. It's basically reflective insulation over bubble wrap, but makes a huge difference in keeping the ground from stealing your body heat.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That is so drat lovely. There should have been a solution to this ages ago.

A lot of crews just use a chain pipe cutter instead of a saws all, so welding a piece of metal rod to the exhaust is enough. In the Bay Area Priuses get targeted a lot because a) there’s a lot of them and b) they have more precious metals in the cat, so shops specialize in fabricating cat shields that bolt in under the exhaust

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Truck finally showed up around 1:00. I had the furthest route (rural on top of that), and it was loaded at the end of the truck - got my van loaded and hauled rear end out of there while everyone else was still breaking their pallets down. :haw: Still didn't get home until 10, but I did a couple of rescues on top of running the rural "stuff kinda sorta around Bastrop, why yes it does take you 15 minutes to get between drops" route.

Filled up on the way home. Loaded the 93 tune and... now it has a very noticeable miss at idle. :sigh: I haven't tried reloading the 87 tune yet. We'll see if it's actually missing or if the PCM is just re-learning fuel trims and being a dick. I'll try and remember to take my code reader with me to work to see if it's logging misfires. Might have to pick Marty's brain.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey chat thread, saw a post in a discord that I wanted to out here, because I thought it posed some interesting questions:

https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/1478357477158756352

How long can a car idle before it runs out of gas? Google is suggesting 19 hours really isn't out of the question, which surprises me.

What about keeping the car charged over that period of time, in cold weather, with the heater running? I know a car "should" charge at idle but what if it's an already marginal charge with a weak alternator, corroded terminals, etc etc.

Yeesh, I really wouldn't want to find out if my car could become a cold weather survival shelter for 19 hours.

My car supposedly is around 0.6 gal/hour (4.6L V8 designed in the 80s - it's thirsty), which is on the upper end. Also, the alternator on mine is particularly beefy (200 amps), with a higher idle speed (800 or 850 RPM due to the police calibration, and I kept the slightly higher idle with the new tune) - so long as I don't have the lights on, and keep the blower on medium or low, it would keep the battery charged just fine.

Assuming a full to the brim tank on my car, it looks like it could theoretically idle continuously for over 30 hours. Newer cars are going to be a hell of a lot more efficient. Newer cars will also warm up a lot quicker - this is an iron block/iron heads V8, it takes loving forever to warm up, most modern stuff will be aluminum everywhere. I'd be better off leaving it running continuously, just have to make sure to keep the windows cracked and the area around the exhaust clear.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tuna posted:

TEACH US THE CHASU
here's my approximate recipe.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ay6VrBKh-gLHit07RuUjtEGKjA_N4_rDi63ifhlrQgg/edit?usp=sharing

It neglects that I also coat in brown sugar and broil at the end to get a candy top.
Also, the time is not a hard and fast rule, really you're just looking for that perfect jiggle.
Mind you it's a recipe for an enormous pork belly in a gigantic pan so scale to suit your needs.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Catalytic converter theft is a big issue here, too, and yes, it's older Japanese brands that seem to be the target for high value ones.

My mate just scrapped his Jazz, and removing the cat himself and selling it separately got him an extra £300.

Occasionally you hear about one of the thieves messing up and the car falling off the jack onto them, which is a satisfyingly permanent solution to the issue.