Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

I was grumpy this morning as I hadn't had my coffee yet. Lavazza is fine, sorry OP.

My favorite coffee is double espresso with foamy oat milk, great stuff and I'm glad I found something that can replace milk for me. We also found barista almond milk which has a slight marzipan taste, also great.

Oat milk is the best milk alternative for sure. I’m not lactose intolerant so I just have it occasionally to mix it up if I’m somewhere fancy that has it.

Lavazza is good. Illy is primo poo poo but I only buy that occasionally. Most of the time it’s just whatever looks good and is on sale. Never Folgers though, my wife refuses to have it. I’ve never tried it but anything that comes in a big tub can’t be that good I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a primate posted:

Never Folgers though, my wife refuses to have it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQk_pWmisA

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Im drinking coffee rn ama

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nooner posted:

Im drinking coffee rn ama

Is it like really hot where you’re just sort of cautiously sipping it, or are you letting it cool off and then CHUGGING THAT poo poo and getting a .75 cent refill? :sludgepal:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Is it like really hot where you’re just sort of cautiously sipping it, or are you letting it cool off and then CHUGGING THAT poo poo and getting a .75 cent refill? :sludgepal:

Letting it cool off and then CHUGGING THAT poo poo. That isnthe only way to do it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have coffee most mornings. I bought this burr grinder a few months ago and it's messy but works nicely. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087F8N6W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do a relatively coarse grind on that and then steep it for 4 minutes in my French press. Turns out great. I got that goon coffee someone mentioned before and they have some decent stuff. Right now I'm drinking Colectivo Black and Tan. I think I just saw it at the grocery store. It's fine.

Don't get Black Rifle coffee. They're racist chuds.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BrigadierSensible posted:

As a kid I always saw it as a "grown ups drink", so I never developed the taste for it.

I always liked coffee, and my mom always let me drink it. So many "coffee will stunt your growth" remarks, but I was tall for my age & teased about it so I hoped it was true.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I love the taste of coffee, and used to buy whole bean and grind it myself and throw it in a french press and all that jazz. at some point in my late 20's however the buzz from coffee starting hitting faster upfront than other caffeine sources and made me crash within about an hour, leaving me feeling completely drained afterwards. so I've started avoiding it because no other beverage does that to me and it kind of sucks

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Szyznyk posted:

Bustelo Instant is as good as most places brewed coffee and does the job when I’m too lazy to crack out the moka pot.

at some point I bought a few different instant coffees to try them and bustelo was the only one that produced something even similar to coffee, I'd even go so far as to call it pretty good

the other ones I tried tasted like I'd added a spoonful of dirt to hot water

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got some cheap rear end instant coffee from Aldi for like $1.79 or something and I like it when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm not picky though.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
No thanks. I'll stick to my green tea!

(Coffee gives me anxiety jitters sometimes? Very unpleasant)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am getting one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Columbia Supremo is my go-to mean bean. :hai:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

In my experience the brand of beans doesn't matter as much as the growing location, and you ideally want them to be large, heavy, and well roasted while still remaining oily to the touch.

This is the face of an instant coffee drinker

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zaepg posted:

No thanks. I'll stick to my green tea!

(Coffee gives me anxiety jitters sometimes? Very unpleasant)

Have you had matcha? I'm getting into that lately. I bought a little kit that came with some ceremonial grade matcha and a milk frother thing and I add a ton of honey and it's great. I just purchased some different ceremonial grade matcha a couple of days ago but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will tonight.

edit:

Zeluth posted:

this is what I use

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 10, 2022

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Drinking some more coffee right now

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Imma two cream two sugar man myself

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRiRrpd_VDQ

"teenage coffee drinkers"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

You already hate yourself, why shouldn't you also hate your coffee? Tim Hortons (tm)

just to confirm, this is a joke where somebody put dog food in there, right?

i started drinking coffee when i stopped drinking booze so i've tried most of the options around and i have to give a shoutout to 'Zero Prophet' coffee, it's a few bucks more expensive but smells and tastes really really good

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

I guess this is supposed to answer the question of why his visit was such a surprise back in the 80s, cause he's some rambling traveler sort. I thought that was implied already, but I liked there being a bit of mystery.

My mom let me drink coffee when I was 4 because I wouldn't shut up about wanting to try it. It was milk and sugar warmed up with a splash a coffee really. With all the crap you have put in it today it's not really surprising kids drink it.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I let my three year old take a sip of my black coffee one morning thinking it would be too bitter for a child and it would kill the curiosity.

She loved it and now I get to listen to her begging for more every day for the rest of my life

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Mozi posted:

just to confirm, this is a joke where somebody put dog food in there, right?

i started drinking coffee when i stopped drinking booze so i've tried most of the options around and i have to give a shoutout to 'Zero Prophet' coffee, it's a few bucks more expensive but smells and tastes really really good

Sir this is Tim Hortons, eh

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Once I worked at a coffee roaster and they tried putting some beans in an old whiskey cask for a few weeks before roasting. We made a couple pots one morning and everyone had a bizarre hybrid buzz before 9am lol

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

beer gas canister posted:

Once I worked at a coffee roaster and they tried putting some beans in an old whiskey cask for a few weeks before roasting. We made a couple pots one morning and everyone had a bizarre hybrid buzz before 9am lol

That sounds legit cool. What else did you try?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Coffee is good and I like drinking it most mornings.

But the smell of a freshly-opened tin/bag/whatever is one of my top 5 favorite smells of all time. I prefer the smell over the taste, by a couple degrees.

Plus its supposedly mildly beneficial, when not crapped up with sugars.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zeluth posted:

What is this?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Some kind of penis pump I assume

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

What is this?

It's a little oscillating whisk for mixing/frothing drinks.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Son of Rodney posted:

That sounds legit cool. What else did you try?

Whiskey coffee did taste amazing. The only other method I saw them employ was soaking beans in a peach pulp before roasting. They were awful

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

beer gas canister posted:

Whiskey coffee did taste amazing. The only other method I saw them employ was soaking beans in a peach pulp before roasting. They were awful

Seems extremely random coming from whisky, which is kind of related in taste lol. after searching a bit I actually found some whisky coffee in my country, might try it sometime.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you’ve never put just a splash of whiskey in your coffee you’re missing out

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Coffee with whisky in it is nice, but coffee & Bailey's is a supreme combo.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I suffer from intense migraines. Caffeine helps mitigate them. I can take caffeine pills or coffee (or tea). Coffee and tea taste better than caffeine pills. If I don't have caffeine in one form or another, I'm guaranteed to have a real brain-melter of a migraine within 24 hours.

YeahTubaMike posted:

No, but coffee with whiskEy is amazing.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I haven't tried the poop coffee thing. ("Kopi Luwak")

My understanding, is that it's the beans' exposure to certain digestive enzymes that helps to break down some components of the beans, which will make it taste less bitter and more "smooth".

The beans are cleaned, sanitized, and processed in such a way that the final product has no poop in it.

However, the poop isn't wild collected, it's farmed from caged palm civets that are not treated well. (Crowded conditions, from a species that is solitary, very vicious fights, amputated limbs, and force fed the coffee cherries. Be warned if you Google this you will probably see some graphic pictures.)

There are some Vietnamese companies that make "fake" kopi luwak by processing the beans with the actual (lab produced) enzymes in a factory, so there's no need to involve animals or poop.

There is another kind of Indian coffee called "Monsoon Malabar", where the beans are laid out in buildings with open roofs during the monsoon season, so the heavy rainfall acts as the thing that makes the coffee taste less bitter and smooth. If you don't buy it pre-roasted, the beans are more white than green, and are much lighter in weight, so it will roast much faster.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

YeahTubaMike posted:

Try whiskey AND Baileys. Half ounce Jameson plus a shot of Irish crème and you got a coffee brewing

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I alternate between making the most hipster coffee at home - light roast, from named farmers, in a V60, with my nice grinder - and the machine at work.

The latter is a technically competent thing that grinds whole beans for each cup, but for some reason we go out of our way to buy the most generic and darkest roasted beans possible, so everything tastes strongly of burned mixed vegetable matter. I can't leave coffee cups sitting after I finish them - the dregs stink as soon as they start drying out.

Both fill a niche, though. In the latter case, it's "a hot drink and an excuse to walk around a bit, without the tablespoon of sugar in the hot chocolate mix, and with less work than a cup of tea". (I have some tea bags as well, though. There are limits.)

Honorary mention to the kiosk at my metro station - their drip coffee is usually decent. Not fantastic, but good enough to make waiting 10 minutes in the cold a bit better.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Try whiskey AND Baileys. Half ounce Jameson plus a shot of Irish crème and you got a coffee brewing

Traditionalists will have their monocle pop off but it's the best Irish coffee

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
In fact, throw out the coffee and replace it with a shot of Kahlua.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A White Russian with Bailey's and whiskey sounds kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
just froth it in my mouth